Metal Storm logo
More link Popups

Original post

Posted by corrupt, 28.03.2024 - 22:57
I consider this an experiment because I want to see if and how much it would annoy me and others.

Almost everywhere on the site where a band is linked, you can now hover over the link and a popup will appear quite like with shoutbox links and show you (what I consider) the most important data about said band.

The same is true for reviews in the sidebar, albeit through another technology.

As usual, feedback to me please.
13.04.2024 - 14:51
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Written by corrupt on 13.04.2024 at 13:37

Both year of formation and disbanding are now displayed as applicable in a "active <from> – <till>" form. Hiatuses are not displayed.

Wow that's great, thank you
----
14.04.2024 - 13:39
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Two new changes:

On desktop the popup will now disappear right when the mouse stops hovering a link. So even if you move the mouse over the popup, it will disappear. That should fix UX issues some people have reported in situations with many links in a block of text or a list.

On mobile it is now possible to click a link twice to follow it immediately. There are still visual bugs here and there where the popup doesn't appear at the bottom of the screen but the bottom of the page content that I'm investigating, but in general it seems plausible to be able to follow a link without having to move around the page to the bottom. So single click will open the popup, two clicks will follow the link immediately.
----
14.04.2024 - 13:55
Redel
Written by corrupt on 14.04.2024 at 13:39

On mobile it is now possible to click a link twice to follow it immediately.

Well, for me ( on Android) it now doesnt even need the second click. Waiting for about one second would forward already after the first click -- at least on user profiles in the member list.
But you know what, no need to fix that if you ask me, since that is exactly how I would like it to function.
14.04.2024 - 13:58
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Redel on 14.04.2024 at 13:55
Well, for me ( on Android) it now doesnt even need the second click. Waiting for about one second would forward already after the first click -- at least on user profiles in the member list.
But you know what, no need to fix that if you ask me, since that is exactly how I would like it to function.

Hm. Indeed. That is a bug however and I will fix it

It's just super frustrating that browser-emulated touch behavior works so differently from actual devices. In the absence of test devices I can only ever push these changes and wait for feedback

Edit: the fix is in.
----
14.04.2024 - 14:10
Redel
Written by corrupt on 14.04.2024 at 13:58

Edit: the fix is in.

27.04.2024 - 18:58
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Mobile functionality is now reliable.

Every link with popup functionality will now properly trigger the popup, the popup will stay where it is supposed to and link double-tap will always work.

I'm looking for a way to better communicate that double-tap will follow a link directly, but for now it is at least documented here.
----
27.04.2024 - 20:15
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
So I finished my band and user link refactor. All band and users links on the whole site are now of the new format and have popups, except in very rare cases where I couldn't easily make this happen without more refactoring or I felt like it didn't make much sense.
----
27.04.2024 - 23:38
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Album link popups rolled out site-wide.

There is now also an [album id=] tag, so you can do this: Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk
----
09.05.2024 - 14:19
Zap
I don't like the popup feature on mobile. I don't want the popup, so at first it took some getting used to double tapping everything. Now I try to always double tap, however when the link I'm trying to go to is near the bottom of the screen the popup appears before my second tap, causing the page to scroll and the thing I'm trying to tap to move up. A toggle to turn off this functionality would be nice as I find it more annoying than useful.
09.05.2024 - 17:12
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Zap on 09.05.2024 at 14:19

I don't like the popup feature on mobile. I don't want the popup, so at first it took some getting used to double tapping everything. Now I try to always double tap, however when the link I'm trying to go to is near the bottom of the screen the popup appears before my second tap, causing the page to scroll and the thing I'm trying to tap to move up. A toggle to turn off this functionality would be nice as I find it more annoying than useful.

Is that a toggle to disable scrolling into view or one to disable link popups in general?

I modeled the mobile version after that of Wikipedia. But now that I tested that again, I realized that Wikipedia's popup disappears when you click away from it. That's something I should probably add. But I can easily also just disable the whole feature with a setting.
----
09.05.2024 - 17:17
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
I was thinking of removing the buttons on the mobile popup and just adding a small indicator that double-tap is a thing. I guess iPhone and iPad users are already used to that behavior anyway. But obviously that contradicts removing the scrolling behavior. Otherwise you can never tap a link twice that is hidden behind the popup.

Let's collect some ideas, we'll find a good way to make this work
----
09.05.2024 - 17:28
Redel
Written by corrupt on 09.05.2024 at 17:17

adding a small indicator that double-tap is a thing.

I -- an Android user -- am unaware of this thing. So an indicator would indeed be appreciated.
09.05.2024 - 17:30
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Redel on 09.05.2024 at 17:28
I -- Android user -- am unaware of this thing. So an indicator would indeed be appreciated.

I mean, it's not like I didn't tell people about it at all
----
09.05.2024 - 17:34
Zap
Written by corrupt on 09.05.2024 at 17:12

Is that a toggle to disable scrolling into view or one to disable link popups in general?

The latter. I don't find myself ever needing the popup. When I click on a band or album I just want to go to the page.
09.05.2024 - 17:58
Redel
Written by corrupt on 09.05.2024 at 17:30

Written by Redel on 09.05.2024 at 17:28
I -- Android user -- am unaware of this thing. So an indicator would indeed be appreciated.

I mean, it's not like I didn't tell people about it at all

Right. I guess I am on a totally wrong path here and I dont even have any idea what link double tap means. So, never mind.
09.05.2024 - 18:16
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Zap on 09.05.2024 at 17:34
The latter. I don't find myself ever needing the popup. When I click on a band or album I just want to go to the page.

You can disable the popup on mobile now. It's under Layout Settings.

But I would honestly rather find a way for the popup to work for everybody and get your feedback on that. If it works for Wikipedia, it should work for us.
----
09.05.2024 - 22:19
Zap
Written by corrupt on 09.05.2024 at 18:16

You can disable the popup on mobile now. It's under Layout Settings.

But I would honestly rather find a way for the popup to work for everybody and get your feedback on that. If it works for Wikipedia, it should work for us.

Wait, was that already there or did you just add it? In any case, thanks a bunch! That's exactly what I wanted.

As for the second part of your comment. My only annoyance was the automatic scrolling getting in the way of the double tap, the popup itself works fine as far as I can tell. I'm afraid I can't give more meaningful feedback than that...
Furthermore, I've never noticed a popup on Wikipedia on mobile, only on desktop, where I find it makes more sense.
09.05.2024 - 22:58
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Zap on 09.05.2024 at 22:19
Wait, was that already there or did you just add it? In any case, thanks a bunch! That's exactly what I wanted.

I added it today, as you asked.

Written by Zap on 09.05.2024 at 22:19
As for the second part of your comment. My only annoyance was the automatic scrolling getting in the way of the double tap, the popup itself works fine as far as I can tell. I'm afraid I can't give more meaningful feedback than that...
Furthermore, I've never noticed a popup on Wikipedia on mobile, only on desktop, where I find it makes more sense.

I can remove the scrolling of course. But from your feedback I gathered that wouldn't make you want to use the popup at all. So I'm wondering what could be done to make it more viable for your use case. I created the popup with the hope that people will find the information they need by just looking at the popup at least some of times. The less people load whole pages for that one bit of information, the better.
----
11.05.2024 - 09:21
Zap
Written by corrupt on 09.05.2024 at 22:58
The less people load whole pages for that one bit of information, the better.

I get it, but I don't think my use case is compatible with the popup in this sense. I'd have to really consciously explore the website to be sure, but I don't think I often go to a band's page just to find out a small piece of information. Usually I want to go to one of their albums and read the discussions there.

It's different on Wikipedia where I could be reading an article and don't know what a word or phrase means, so the popup helps a lot there to just quickly get an idea. Rarely do I read an article or review here where a band is mentioned that I'm not familiar with where knowing what genre they play or what country they are from really adds a lot of context to the piece I'm reading. I'm not saying it never happens, but it's just not something I see regularly occurring.
11.05.2024 - 12:25
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Zap on 11.05.2024 at 09:21
It's different on Wikipedia where I could be reading an article and don't know what a word or phrase means, so the popup helps a lot there to just quickly get an idea. Rarely do I read an article or review here where a band is mentioned that I'm not familiar with where knowing what genre they play or what country they are from really adds a lot of context to the piece I'm reading. I'm not saying it never happens, but it's just not something I see regularly occurring.

Interesting. It's not completely the opposite for me but usually, when a band is mentioned that I haven't heard of, I at least want to know their style and whether or not they're still active.

So I'm thinking. Now there is a switch to disable the popup on mobile, I want to make that a consistent experience. That would, in my view, be a possibility to disable the popup for mobile and desktop individually, and maybe even to disable popups for certain entities. Like having a switch for album, band, user, musician, and whatever popups we'll add in the future, individually. How would that influence your workflow?
----
12.05.2024 - 11:21
Zap
Written by corrupt on 11.05.2024 at 12:25

Like having a switch for album, band, user, musician, and whatever popups we'll add in the future, individually. How would that influence your workflow?

I would be willing to try out different configurations, but mostly because I'm appreciative of all the work you are putting into this
To be honest, in the end I don't think I would change my current mobile-no-desktop-yes popup setup. Keep in mind that I am not that active on the site, so it's not like I really have a daily "workflow"*. I'm usually just visiting to read some recent forum posts or reviews or check out what people have to say about an album that I have been listening to. I'm never here for hours at a time like I was ten years ago.

*I find it a bit painful to read terms like these when talking about leisure activities like browsing a forum Similar to when people describe their pile of unplayed video games as their "backlog".