Metal Storm logo
Germany, Wacken - Wacken Open Air 2011

It was about time! Finally, in its 22nd year of existence, the biggest metal festival in the world will welcome the Prince of Darkness, one of the founders of the music we have all come to love: Ozzy Osbourne will headline Wacken Open Air 2011!
Ozzy's performance at Wacken will be his only German festival show in 2011. The metal opera Avantasia take it even further and will make their performance at Wacken Open Air their only show in 2011 worldwide! Witnessing Tobias Sammet (Edguy) and his myriad of guests in front of tens of thousands of fans under the open sky certainly isn't your everyday concert experience.
And of course there's also American power metallers Iced Earth who will be performing for the very last time with legendary singer Matt Barlow.

But these three acts aren't the only ones with exclusive performances: NWOBHM legends Judas Priest, who are currently on their last world tour ever, TNBM front-runners Mayhem and Australian hard rockers Airbourne will also perform their only German festival shows at Wacken Open Air, and for Trivium it will even be their only festival show on European soil in 2011.

But even if you don't care for either of these bands, Wacken once again offers a wide array of metal styles for almost everyone, like power metal (e.g. Blind Guardian), extreme power/melodeath metal (e.g. Children Of Bodom), thrash metal (e.g. Kreator), death metal (e.g. Kataklysm), rock'n'roll (e.g. Motörhead), glam metal (e.g. Crashdïet), j-rock (Dir En Grey), folk metal (e.g. Moonsorrow), stoner (Kyuss Lives!) and then some. For a complete listing of all 120+ bands, filled to the brim with big names of the scene, you'll only have to scroll down.

Wacken Open Air takes place in - surprise! - Wacken in Northern Germany, a small village with merely 2,000 inhabitants on 361 days of the year. The town is located 10 km north of Itzehoe and 50 km northwest of Hamburg. There will be shuttle buses from the festival site to the train station in Itzehoe as well as to the airports in Berlin, Hamburg, Bremen and Lübeck. For more info on getting there and away check the festival page here.

The festival is officially sold out since February, but some tour operators (e.g. Metal Train for Germany, Bock Tours for the Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Switzerland, Argon Events for the UK) still have some coach trip/festival ticket packages in store. More tour operators can be found here.

Another way to acquire your ticket would be the ticket exchange in the official forum which aims for eliminating the black marketing going on on eBay and other auctioning sites, and reducing the risk of acquiring fake tickets. In this exchange the Wacken staff supervises the ticket prices and acts as trust which means that the seller sends the ticket(s) to the staff who verifies the authenticity of the ticket(s) and reports it to the buyer. After the buyer has transferred the money to the seller, the Wacken staff will pass on the ticket(s) to the buyer. More information on this model can be found here (in English) and here (in German).

Further readings:
Wacken 2010 ? Metal Train 2010 ? Wacken 2009 ? Wacken 2008 ? Wacken 2007

Headliners

DAY 1 (03.08)

W.E.T. Stage / Headbangers Ballroom

Mother Of God
Leash Eye
Dust Bolt
Hammercult
Virginia Clemm
Death Clocks
Noein
Atrum
Paralytic
Eccentric Pendulum
Aphyxion
Mambo Kurt

Wackinger Stage

The Aberlour's
Reliquiae
Horch

Bullhead-City Wrestling Tent

Russkaja
Ski King
Victims Of Madness

Beer Garden Stage

W:O:A Firefighters
Blechblosn

DAY 2 (04.08)

True Metal Stage

Ozzy Osbourne
Helloween

Black Stage

Blind Guardian
Skyline
Bülent Ceylan

Battle Beast
Pneuma
Tanker
Aeon Throne
Seven Stitches
Achren
Coldwar
Rude Revelation
Exquisite Pus
X-Tinxion
Sacramental

Wackinger Stage

Russkaja
Reliquiae
Maiden United

Onkel Tom Angelripper
Kvelertak
Ski's Country Trash
Stier
Jim Breuer

Beer Garden Stage

Edelweiss
Hayseed Dixie
Blechblosn
Mambo Kurt

DAY 3 (05.08)

True Metal Stage

Judas Priest
Airbourne
Trivium
Sodom
Suicidal Tendencies

Black Stage

Morbid Angel
Apocalyptica
Triptykon
Heaven Shall Burn
As I Lay Dying
Ensiferum

Party Stage

Rhapsody Of Fire
Kyuss
Morgoth
Saltatio Mortis
Van Canto
Primal Fear

Suidakra
Skindred
Accu§er
Sirenia
Tsjuder
Slime
Bullet
Deadlock
Negator
Khold
The Prophecy²³
Skálmöld
Pussy Sisster
Volcano
Pharao
Shraphead

Wackinger Stage

Ignis Fatuu
Rabenschrey
Reliquiae

Russkaja
Smack Ballz
Betontod
Jim Breuer
Ghost

Beer Garden Stage

Edelweiss
Hayseed Dixie
Mambo Kurt

DAY 4 (06.08)

Wackinger Stage

Lacrimas Profundere
Reliquiae

Girlschool
Onslaught
Hayseed Dixie

Beer Garden Stage

Edelweiss
Mambo Kurt

Who was there?

Nefarious (UAE) 100%
GT (Denmark) 100%
Promonex 100%
corrupt 100%
OnJackTallBeck? (Brazil) 100%
TheBigRossowski 100%
buki of steel (Croatia) 100%
Infurnace (The Netherlands) 100%
MeTalRea|istiK (Malaysia) 100%
MaiSweettShaadow () 100%
infernall (Romania) 100%
Overlord_PT (Portugal) 100%
ChrisWinther (Denmark) 100%
Skyum (Denmark) 100%
Kallis Helmi (Hungary) 100%
MrSpaceman (Poland) 100%
Jack--- (Denmark) 100%
In Chaos (Norway) 100%
Kalmari (Finland) 100%
Snockis (Sweden) 100%
Gâsh (The Netherlands) 100%
Heissayen (Spain) 100%
Lord Nifiel (Sweden) 100%
hanfsud 100%
Dewil Rituale (Bulgaria) 100%
AngelCryGr (Greece) 100%
Alena (Russia) 100%
Den Gode Hr. Kim (UK) 100%
Brodd (Denmark) 100%
Miquele 100%
SMAX (USA) 100%
Asmara (Austria) 100%
santiagomp 100%
Ch3m1c4lThr4sh (The Netherlands) 100%
Maudraum (USA) 100%
Pucis (UK) 100%
Eleazar (Mexico) 100%
valeria (UK) 100%
Aquad 100%
Oriôn (Belgium) 100%
Trust (Portugal) 100%
Jvenned (Faroe Islands) 100%
MightyMouse (Sweden) 100%
Izarus (Denmark) 100%
victim (Finland) 100%
svobi_666 (Austria) 100%
Melodeathmetal (The Netherlands) 100%
Wurzelbernd 100%
Buried Dreamer (Brazil) 100%
JaimeeFotzeBetrunken (New Zealand) 100%
Rhaz 100%
Doomhammer 100%
wastedcorpse (Estonia) 100%
Link (Israel) 100%
Fabiana Thoresen (The Netherlands) 100%
Necrozika (Sweden) 100%
Vorhana (New Zealand) 100%
JonLovesick (Spain) 100%
Fjorten (Denmark) 100%
Abbath (Spain) 100%
mutantula 100%
Rakshasa 100%
systeema (Latvia) 100%
Alfredo Pliego (Mexico) 100%
guano (Turkey) 100%
alemiglio13 (Italy) 100%
redTobi666 100%
Hammar () 100%
goddec (Slovenia) 100%
MorphineChild (UAE) 100%
ANArhia (Romania) 100%
Üby 100%
JAS DANIEL'S (Switzerland) 100%
Dunkelgeist (Spain) 100%
trchook (Australia) 100%
thorsdottir 100%
FATA ESCARLATA (Czech Republic) 100%
Jamie Yagami (Brazil) 100%
Queoma Ferreira (Brazil) 100%
Malakiitti (Finland) 100%
Stoner Banger (Brazil) 100%
Evolucionista (Venezuela) 100%
kingjelle (The Netherlands) 100%
Sima (Denmark) 100%
Bonesaw () 100%
Likus93 (Spain) 100%
Rooste (Estonia) 100%
jess_lacrymosa (Slovenia) 80%
animal71 (Australia) 70%
dunskii (USA) 60%
Wyrd (Canada) 30%
Coaljin (Denmark) 30%
Anarchy2012 (USA) 10%
DarkFear (Belarus) 10%

News

Reviews

Photo galleries

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 120   Visited by: 701 users
16.12.2010 - 15:29
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I haven't seen them live before, so I'm pretty happy with the addition.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
16.12.2010 - 16:44
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Written by GT on 16.12.2010 at 15:29

Yeah, and we both know why you haven't seen them two years ago, don't we?
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
16.12.2010 - 16:49
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Promonex on 16.12.2010 at 16:44

Yep
----

18.12.2010 - 14:14
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by GT on 16.12.2010 at 16:49

Yep

i sense it's STORYTIME!!
18.12.2010 - 16:45
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 18.12.2010 at 14:14

Written by GT on 16.12.2010 at 16:49

Yep

i sense it's STORYTIME!!

Not really. We just both met coincidentally when Motörhead started their set and decided that sharing a bottle of vodka would sound more like a plan than sticking around.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
20.12.2010 - 09:26
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Haha yeah so no drama or anything there...but damn the hangovers
----

20.12.2010 - 18:54
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Written by GT on 20.12.2010 at 09:26

Haha yeah so no drama or anything there...

Except for THE ASS!
----
21.12.2010 - 05:32
Valentin B
Iconoclast
HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT ICED EARTH FUCK YEAAAHHHAHHAHHHAHAHAH

3rd year in a row, top of the attendance list again
21.12.2010 - 09:59
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Valentin B on 21.12.2010 at 05:32

I knew what to expect here when reading the notification this morning
----
21.12.2010 - 10:48
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Promonex on 20.12.2010 at 18:54

Written by GT on 20.12.2010 at 09:26

Haha yeah so no drama or anything there...

Except for THE ASS!

Written by Valentin B on 21.12.2010 at 05:32

I had a feeling you would react somewhat like this...but yeah great news
----

22.12.2010 - 09:57
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Whoah, Sirenia. Not That I'm particularly interested but I've adored Morten Veland for most of my teen years
----
23.12.2010 - 02:17
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Holy shit Exodus too! if they announce Kreator and Accept it would be simply perfect for me, though i also wonder which would be the headliner announced on the 24th

my money is on either Saxon or Scorpions. (pleease let it be the latter )
23.12.2010 - 11:33
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
The lineup is getting better and better even though I was already convinced by the addition of Blind Guardian
----

23.12.2010 - 11:50
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by GT on 23.12.2010 at 11:33

The lineup is getting better and better even though I was already convinced by the addition of Blind Guardian

You can tell by the fact that Marcel hasn't been here whining for a while. This must be a good lineup
----
23.12.2010 - 12:23
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Haha I didn't think of that but yeah that must mean it isn't too bad even for him
----

24.12.2010 - 01:40
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Kreator!! me gusta! mycket bra! sehr gut! tres bien! molto bene! zajebisce!
24.12.2010 - 04:15
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Written by corrupt on 23.12.2010 at 11:50

Written by GT on 23.12.2010 at 11:33

You can tell by the fact that Marcel hasn't been here whining for a while. This must be a good lineup

This post reminds me of that Metalocalypse episode in which Dethklok awakened that troll...
----
24.12.2010 - 17:08
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Circle pits allowed at next year's Wacken(link in german, because i'm fucking raw as hell)

http://www.wacken.com/de/woa2011/main-news/news/ansicht/article/circle-pit-und-wall-of-death-auf-dem-woa/
24.12.2010 - 19:21
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Valentin B on 24.12.2010 at 17:08

Circle pits allowed at next year's Wacken(link in german, because i'm fucking raw as hell)

http://www.wacken.com/de/woa2011/main-news/news/ansicht/article/circle-pit-und-wall-of-death-auf-dem-woa/

Guess they figured they can't prevent people from doing it and enforcing things like this years doesn't score points with fans either. Good call though. They could put a ban on crowdsurfing. That's what really annoys me.
----
24.12.2010 - 22:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by corrupt on 24.12.2010 at 19:21

Written by Valentin B on 24.12.2010 at 17:08

Guess they figured they can't prevent people from doing it and enforcing things like this years doesn't score points with fans either. Good call though. They could put a ban on crowdsurfing. That's what really annoys me.

Agreed. Crowd surfing is infinitely more annoying (and even dangerous) than circle pitting/moshing
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.12.2010 - 19:30
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Bülent Ceylan confirmed... *sigh*

Okay, I normally like the guy, have met him in person and know that he occasionally does also listen to metal and that Tool is one of his fav bands, but I think it's kinda pathetic that Wacken now also books comedians. Not saying that Mambo Kurt, Blaas of Glory and Smack Ballz are much different, but at least they are musicians. And they cost a whole lot less than Bülent.
----
05.01.2011 - 12:44
TheBigRossowski
I'm looking forward to meeting some fellow ugh, metal.ugh..stormer-Dudes. I haven't seen Daniel (Promonex) in like a year or something either... good things to come. I'll probably establish an official Dude Camp. At least as official as things are official for me, lol.

I will abide.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
07.02.2011 - 20:56
Oriôn
It's sold out now
22.02.2011 - 13:29
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Fuuuuu no more exodus and i don't even have a ticket. if Accept gets announced i might join in but in other cases i don't think so.
23.02.2011 - 11:16
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Valentin B on 22.02.2011 at 13:29

Fuuuuu no more exodus and i don't even have a ticket. if Accept gets announced i might join in but in other cases i don't think so.

So you've been crying for Iced Earth for two years now and when they finally get announced you don't go because of Exodus? Not that the festival isn't sold out now anyway and you'll most likely lose more than 130? for the ticket on ebay. But what kind of reasoning is that?
----
23.02.2011 - 11:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by corrupt on 23.02.2011 at 11:16

So you've been crying for Iced Earth for two years now and when they finally get announced you don't go because of Exodus? Not that the festival isn't sold out now anyway and you'll most likely lose more than 130? for the ticket on ebay. But what kind of reasoning is that?

I was thinkin the exact same thing
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.02.2011 - 11:23
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by corrupt on 23.02.2011 at 11:16

well, my definite dream was to be able to see most of those bands in a headline show. Exodus was indeed one of the bigger reasons for me to get there, as i love their newer stuff, and that coupled with the much bigger cost of getting there kinda ruin it for me.

i still have my flights booked (bucharest - stuttgart and oslo - varna as the return) but anyway i always wanted to visit other parts of germany and scandinavia so no worries there.
23.02.2011 - 12:34
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 23.02.2011 at 11:23

i still have my flights booked (bucharest - stuttgart and oslo - varna as the return) but anyway i always wanted to visit other parts of germany and scandinavia so no worries there.

Stuttgart, eh? The Metal Train still has tickets. Just sayin'.
----
23.02.2011 - 17:01
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Promonex on 23.02.2011 at 12:34

Written by Valentin B on 23.02.2011 at 11:23

Stuttgart, eh? The Metal Train still has tickets. Just sayin'.

i know, i only bought a ticket to Stuttgart as that's the closest to Wacken i could get in that time-frame and still keep the cost reasonable.

but i'm still thinking as, after Wacken, i don't want to go back south to Stuttgart, i want to go north to Copenhagen or something and then on to Sweden/Norway(i also want to get to know more about the area as i plan on moving to Norway in the next few years, and i'd like to stay more and get a better general feel), and that would mean i paid for a return trip with the Metal-Train which i will not be taking. though i presume the trip back isn't 1% as awesome as the trip to the festival anyway.

my hope is this: the guys at Norwegian (the airline with which i booked the trip back to Varna, which is in Bulgaria but only 200 km to Bucharest) seeing as sales are so shitty for that particular flight(i tracked the prices, they're exactly the same as over one month ago, only the equivalent of 60 euros one-way despite being in the middle of the tourist season), they'll change my flight schedule by more than 2 hours or so so they won't lose too much money. that way, it's in my rights to ask them to change my flight to another destination or something, like to Belgrade or whatever. then i'd ask them to change it to the 20th or something, so i have enough time to get to Wacken and also to go around by train in the cold awesome North. i know for a fact (did this many many times at work in cases like this) this works with Ryanair, so i'm thinking Norwegian would also be ok with it.

yeah i went completely offtopic with this but i'm awesome as fuck anyway.
23.02.2011 - 17:13
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Valentin B on 23.02.2011 at 17:01

yeah i went completely offtopic with this but i'm awesome as fuck anyway.

Yeah, don't do that anymore!
Sounds risky to rely on, your plan. But you don't seem to care one way or the other so what the hell. But since we're offtopic anyway, why exactly do you plan to one of the two most expensive countries on the continent? Not that I haven't had that idea to move to a less crowded place than Germany (and one where privacy is valued more than national security) or that I disliked Norway. But I do have a friend who did move there and despite she earns what sounds like millions in Euros, she actually has less money in Norway than the average German in her position. Kinda like Switzerland only the other way around in comparison.
----

Hits total: 38890 | This month: 3