Metal Storm logo
Hair Metal, Glam Rock, Sleaze Metal/Sleaze Rock

Original post

Posted by Doc G., 14.12.2006 - 10:09
I just noticed that theres no Thread to simply discuss Hair Metal, Glam Rock, and Sleaze Metal/Sleaze Rock. Hair metal is what eventually lead me into all sorts of other types of metal, if it wasnt for bands like Cinderella, WASP, Guns N Roses, and Motley Crue, I never wouldve found things like black metal, death metal etc.

So come and discuss all things that fall under this Genre(s)

PS.-Theres been alot of posts saying that GnR isnt hair metal, thats why I put in 'sleaze rock/sleaze metal'. its simply a small term for bands like skid row, GnR, Aerosmith, and Lynch Mob, who were almost like hair metal, but with a grittier bluesier feel to it. Not so polished as alot of hair metal.

oh, and to those of you who are new to glam/sleaze and are looking for recommendations definitly go to TheRealThing, that guy knows probably more about this subject than anyone on metalstorm combined, believe me, its unholy.
14.02.2007 - 12:32
marillionfan
Account deleted
In my opinion, as far as W.A.S.P. is concerned there are 4 essential albums to listen to first: their debut album, Inside the Electric Circus, The Headless Children and The Crimson Idol. Better stay away from their industrial metal experiment called Kill Fuck Die which IMO is poor and uninspired. Their last albums, 2 parts concept album entitled The Neon God is pretty amazing too.
14.02.2007 - 12:41
Baz Anderson
Staff
alrighty then, thanks!
that industrial album does sound quite appealing though - haha, I quite like industrial metal so even if its a poor album it would still be interesting hearing it
I will go for the others first though

EDIT: I loved the Queen cover as well of 'Tie Your Mother Down'
I guess they like doing a few covers..
15.02.2007 - 05:33
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=17278] on 14.02.2007 at 12:32

In my opinion, as far as W.A.S.P. is concerned there are 4 essential albums to listen to first: their debut album, Inside the Electric Circus, The Headless Children and The Crimson Idol. Better stay away from their industrial metal experiment called Kill Fuck Die which IMO is poor and uninspired. Their last albums, 2 parts concept album entitled The Neon God is pretty amazing too.

Im insulted that you left out 'The Last Command', as good as ITEC was it doesnt even touch the last command.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.02.2007 - 17:23
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 15.02.2007 at 05:33

Im insulted that you left out 'The Last Command', as good as ITEC was it doesnt even touch the last command.

iNSULTED?! Don't take it so hard. After all I stated it was MY opinion, I got the right to have one, right?
15.02.2007 - 21:53
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
This was the kind of music that got me into metal in the first place. The first metal album I listened to ever was Motley Crue's Theater Of Pain...the attitude and presentation is very appealing for many people...
15.02.2007 - 22:40
Baz Anderson
Staff
alright then - so far of W.A.S.P. albums, I have listened to:

'Dying For The World'
'Inside The Electric Circus'
'Still Not Black Enough'
'The Headless Children' and
'W.A.S.P.'

I have a few more waiting to be listened to as well - so far I am really enjoying them. so thank you for the recommendation
16.02.2007 - 09:26
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=17278] on 15.02.2007 at 17:23

iNSULTED?! Don't take it so hard. After all I stated it was MY opinion, I got the right to have one, right?

Its an amazing album...Im just surprised you left it out. And if everyone whipped out the 'Opinion' card on the forums to get out of arguments the point of the forum would be eliminated.
----
- George Carlin
16.02.2007 - 12:22
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 16.02.2007 at 09:26

Its an amazing album...Im just surprised you left it out. And if everyone whipped out the 'Opinion' card on the forums to get out of arguments the point of the forum would be eliminated.

I agree with you (again); and I'm not trying to get out of arguments. I have all W.A.S.P. albums except Kill Fuck Die which I've already said I don't like it at all. But when I'm in the mood to listen to some W.A.S.P., I somehow end up listening to the 4 albums I mentioned. I know The Last Command is a very good album.
Anyway my favourite W.A.S.P. album is The Crimson Album. A very pleasant surprise for me when I first listened to it back in 1992. I still enjoy it after all these years. A timeless piece of work IMHO.
18.02.2007 - 00:50
TheRealThing
Account deleted
Written by [user id=17278] on 16.02.2007 at 12:22

Written by Doc G. on 16.02.2007 at 09:26

I agree with you (again); and I'm not trying to get out of arguments. I have all W.A.S.P. albums except Kill Fuck Die which I've already said I don't like it at all. But when I'm in the mood to listen to some W.A.S.P., I somehow end up listening to the 4 albums I mentioned. I know The Last Command is a very good album.
Anyway my favourite W.A.S.P. album is The Crimson Album. A very pleasant surprise for me when I first listened to it back in 1992. I still enjoy it after all these years. A timeless piece of work IMHO.

Kill Fuck Die wasnt that bad dude. It was like...White Zombie with a Blackie Lawless spice. I just think the whole industrial scene is more of an aquired taste. Still a great album though.
08.03.2007 - 05:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Just got a cd by a band called Hardcore Superstar, I highly recommend these guys to anyone whos interested in seeing a glam rock revival.
----
- George Carlin
02.08.2007 - 17:24
Hyvaarin
Written by Doc G. on 08.03.2007 at 05:03

Just got a cd by a band called Hardcore Superstar, I highly recommend these guys to anyone whos interested in seeing a glam rock revival.

I'll check 'em out.

Anyone seen Rock of Love With Bret Michaels on VH1/internet? It's a dating show centred around everyone's favourite Poison frontman, and I've gotta tell you, it's the best TV show I've ever seen.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
05.08.2007 - 23:43
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Hyvaarin on 02.08.2007 at 17:24

Written by Doc G. on 08.03.2007 at 05:03

I'll check 'em out.

Yeah be sure to just get/look into the S/T album (its the latest album), all there previous stuff is pretty much just punk.
----
- George Carlin
13.08.2007 - 22:23
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Bulletboys!!!!!!!!

chekc the video for Smooth Up In Ya
14.08.2007 - 03:00
Warman
Erotic Stains
Mötley Crüe will always be my favourite glam band. And yes, Hardcore Superstar are quite good!
----
21.08.2007 - 23:55
*trash_star*
Account deleted
Trashlight Vision. If you've never heard of 'em, check 'em out. Fantastic boys, great live show too.
24.11.2007 - 01:21
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
I discovered a Texan Sleaze band yesterday:

Dangerous Toys

anyone heard of them? they rock.
24.11.2007 - 11:45
Judas
The Amputator
Um, Danger Danger anyone? One of my favourite Glam Metal acts, and one that's always been very underrated, especially when their 1989 self-titled debut album is considered!

Dokken are another of my favourites that haven't had much mention as yet in this thread. Their 1984 album 'Tooth and Nail' is a classic IMO, same with their 1985 release 'Under Lock and Key'.

Incidentally, there was a Glam Night last night at a local club, it was fucking awesome! Everyone was dressed up for it and everything, and the music ruled.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
24.11.2007 - 15:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=25398] on 21.08.2007 at 23:55

Trashlight Vision. If you've never heard of 'em, check 'em out. Fantastic boys, great live show too.

Then give us links whit mp3 or something
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.11.2007 - 20:37
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Written by Judas on 24.11.2007 at 11:45

Um, Danger Danger anyone? One of my favourite Glam Metal acts, and one that's always been very underrated, especially when their 1989 self-titled debut album is considered!

Dokken are another of my favourites that haven't had much mention as yet in this thread. Their 1984 album 'Tooth and Nail' is a classic IMO, same with their 1985 release 'Under Lock and Key'.

Incidentally, there was a Glam Night last night at a local club, it was fucking awesome! Everyone was dressed up for it and everything, and the music ruled.

Yes yes yes !

Danger Danger are class, their best songs are the promo songs imo ("Naughty Naughty" and "Bang Bang") they seem to love saying words twice

and Dokken! One ov my favourites, I love them!

Glam Night? haha, that sounds hilarious, I thought Metal Related things were unpopular in Australia or is that New Zealand I'm thinking about?
25.11.2007 - 01:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=160] on 24.11.2007 at 20:37

Yes yes yes !

Danger Danger are class, their best songs are the promo songs imo ("Naughty Naughty" and "Bang Bang") they seem to love saying words twice

and Dokken! One ov my favourites, I love them!

Glam Night? haha, that sounds hilarious, I thought Metal Related things were unpopular in Australia or is that New Zealand I'm thinking about?

But Dokken are band I lobe early werry early works and that song from Horror in Elm Streat
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.11.2007 - 01:36
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
@K7: you've never heard of Dokken ?
25.11.2007 - 22:52
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

Haha, every night is glam night for me when I go to the bar, I recently dyed my hair bleache blonde and got a sweet 80s cut with bangs and all. Thats the great thing about having long hair, whenever I see these glam nights at bars and stuff all the jocks who only know motley crue (and only there greatest hits at that) show up wearing wigs and eyeliner, and then I walk in with actual hair looking like i just stepped out of Poison, it really helps the being able to pick up chicks factor.
----
- George Carlin
26.11.2007 - 23:38
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Kevin Dubrow died yesterday...I had Quiet Riot tickets aswell. Son of a bitch, this is the second time in the span of 2 days an upcoming show for me has been cancelled.
----
- George Carlin
27.11.2007 - 13:20
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Doc G. on 26.11.2007 at 23:38

Kevin Dubrow died yesterday...I had Quiet Riot tickets aswell. Son of a bitch, this is the second time in the span of 2 days an upcoming show for me has been cancelled.

Man, that fucking sucks, not just for you but for the world of glam rock. He wasn't all that old either, I'd say like late 40s or early 50s.
----
27.11.2007 - 14:39
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
what's all this shit about 'Glam Night'? lol, I cannot imagine it, because here at most ov the bars all they play is Rap and Dancehall, the closest thing to glam they've played is a recent Bon Jovi......well I think there's one rock & roll bar in town, but I've never been. This is hard for me to imagine, especially since glam is dead.
27.11.2007 - 20:46
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=160] on 27.11.2007 at 14:39

what's all this shit about 'Glam Night'? lol, I cannot imagine it, because here at most ov the bars all they play is Rap and Dancehall, the closest thing to glam they've played is a recent Bon Jovi......well I think there's one rock & roll bar in town, but I've never been. This is hard for me to imagine, especially since glam is dead.

Glam is far from dead dude, check out these bands:
Crashdiet
Hardcore Superstar (new stuff)
Innocent Rosie
Baby Jane
Vains Of Jenna
Kid Ego
Crazy Lixx
Sister
Dirty Penny
Gemini Five
Reckless Love
Snake Of Eden
Babylon Bombs
Panzer Princess
Nasty Riot
Major Scandals
Jackviper

....Just to name a few here.
----
- George Carlin
29.11.2007 - 01:52
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
@Dr. Rock: oh yeahh and I heard that Beautiful Creatures were apparently Neo-Glam too.

let's see your '80's cut man! post a pic lol.
29.11.2007 - 09:43
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=160] on 29.11.2007 at 01:52

@Dr. Rock: oh yeahh and I heard that Beautiful Creatures were apparently Neo-Glam too.

let's see your '80's cut man! post a pic lol.

OK, Ill be sure to check those guys out. And I havnt any pics yet dude, havnt been partying with any camera owning people lately, not a very glam refferance, but it almost looks like Iain Finlays hair from Running Wild....cept slightly shorter.
----
- George Carlin
29.11.2007 - 14:53
Judas
The Amputator
@Dr. Rock: I'm in total agreement with Lowelas here, we need to see this wild hair! Glam's not dead as long as people still believe in it, and get outrageous haircuts!

As for the Glam Night's we occasionally get here, well, there's this one club that serves pretty much all the Metal types in Brisbane, and while most of the time it's pretty crap and jam-packed with bogans (sort of like Australian urban hicks, for those of you who don't know what they are), ever 3 or 4 months they have a Glam Night that spices life up pretty nicely.
----
30.11.2007 - 05:07
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=160] on 29.11.2007 at 01:52

I just checked em out, there awesome. Im gonna be getting the album 'Deuce' ASAP. No glam rock revival bands sound exactly like the 80s sound, which is good, this band definitly has an 80s rock sound with a new heavy twist on it. The music sounds like its written by Nikki Sixx, solid.
----
- George Carlin