Metal Storm logo
Nu Metal bands you like

Original post

Posted by +{Jonas}+, 16.03.2007 - 01:51
So, the title says it all. I made this so the ones here that like nu metal can discuss about the bands we like. So about me, I like:

Godsmack (Although for me it's Alternative), because their songs are really cool, and they have great lyrics and the "Changes" DVD is simply awesome, and theitr drums are great. Sully's voice is quite unique, and their lyrics are pretty nice.

Slipknot, because of their energy, the outfits look great, and their lyrics make me laugh, besides their live shows are quite impressive. Also Vol. 3 is a change, IMO they found that they don't have to scream for everything, and they prove it with a great accoustic song.

Disturbed: David's voice is great. and with their thrid album,. 10.000 fists" they try a new, more melodic sound. besides Dan Donegan proves himself as a great guitar player

KoRn: But only the first albums.

Evanescence, because Amy lee has a great voice, but their last album, "The Open Door" was a big letdown for me.

Also Adema, TrustCompany, Breaking Benjamin, Linkin Park, Chevelle, Mudvayne, Soil and I enjoy Metallica's St. Anger.

So that's it. If you have band suggestions you can and must post them as well. If you don't like Nu metal, please don't post bashing bands and attacking with things like "X band sucks" or "Nu metal sucks". Please, let's have some respect for the other fellow MSers taste.
15.05.2007 - 08:22
gecko
I'll say Chevelle has good stuff.... Also Korn (1rst album) and Taproot....
05.06.2007 - 08:55
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Ive been told DevilDriver is Nu Metal...so I guess I can add them on my list if this is true.

On that note, does anyone know how to classify DevilDriver if they arent nu metal? Wiki just told me there called 'Groove' metal.....huh?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
06.06.2007 - 02:05
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Doc G. on 05.06.2007 at 08:55

Ive been told DevilDriver is Nu Metal...so I guess I can add them on my list if this is true.

On that note, does anyone know how to classify DevilDriver if they arent nu metal? Wiki just told me there called 'Groove' metal.....huh?

Devildriver has nothing to do with nu metal man.
06.06.2007 - 03:07
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Dangerboner on 06.06.2007 at 02:05

Written by Doc G. on 05.06.2007 at 08:55

Devildriver has nothing to do with nu metal man.

Thats what I thought but apparently theres some people who think it does have some resemblance...
----
- George Carlin
11.06.2007 - 16:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Who is devildriver I had hera such name
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.06.2007 - 01:29
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Bad English on 11.06.2007 at 16:59

Who is devildriver I had hera such name

DevilDriver is kind of like Lamb Of God in a way...except better IMO. Check out songs like 'End Of The Line' or 'Grinfucked' to get a good idea of there sound.
----
- George Carlin
16.07.2007 - 04:58
Dan066
Account deleted
Written by MadGatsu on 01.05.2007 at 01:19

Written by [user id=2084] on 01.05.2007 at 00:25

Well, if SOAD is more experimental then they are worth checking out...I think they've had shared vocals on harmonies in previous songs...Daron is actually singing whole songs? I heard a sample of one of their songs on a commercial on Much Music here in Canada once awhile ago (can't remember...) and it sounded like they really evolved...

i dont like the new stuff. too many slow songs for my taste. i liked the first 2 albums. fast and awesome songs from beginning to the end. \m/ jus the way i like it

agreed. Although i do like some stuff off Mezmerize like "cocaine" and "cigaro".
03.08.2007 - 04:07
Muse of Light
I can't really say Evanescence is a nu metal band. I would classify them more as gothic rock.

But System of a Down is a band I listen to regularly, and Godsmack (though Godsmack is more heavy rock than nu metal).

I really Disturbed (like Godsmack, heavy alternative rock), and I think Breaking Benjamin is quite good, too.
----
"My past holds only pain and loss. I will conquer it by creating the perfect future." - Ixidor, reality sculptor
03.08.2007 - 04:09
Muse of Light
Written by [user id=18875] on 16.07.2007 at 04:58

Written by MadGatsu on 01.05.2007 at 01:19

Written by [user id=2084] on 01.05.2007 at 00:25

Well, if SOAD is more experimental then they are worth checking out...I think they've had shared vocals on harmonies in previous songs...Daron is actually singing whole songs? I heard a sample of one of their songs on a commercial on Much Music here in Canada once awhile ago (can't remember...) and it sounded like they really evolved...

i dont like the new stuff. too many slow songs for my taste. i liked the first 2 albums. fast and awesome songs from beginning to the end. \m/ jus the way i like it

agreed. Although i do like some stuff off Mezmerize like "cocaine" and "cigaro".

I agree. I enjoyed Mesmerize quite a lot.
----
"My past holds only pain and loss. I will conquer it by creating the perfect future." - Ixidor, reality sculptor
11.08.2007 - 12:10
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Some DD stuff I reckon is nü, but mostly metalcore/groove... comparable with LoG, for sure. (Personally I don't like these bands)

It seems no one's mentioned Drowning Pool, Sevendust or Trapt. I can understand the last two (although I quite like dust's song Rumble Fish) but DP's debut Sinner is a fairly strong album for this genre IMO. Some good solos can even be found in songs like Tear Away and Mute. Desensitized which came after the singer's death is pretty crap...

I hate Disturbed and BB I kinda hate Godsmack but I Stand Alone is a nice track, the same might be said for Mudvayne's Not Falling, and I think my feelings on System can be found in the Toxicity review
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
11.08.2007 - 14:30
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
well i can maximally stand KoRn an SOAD...otherwise nu-metal is the sort of music i hate 3rd most (first is emo, second r'n'b)
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

11.08.2007 - 15:06
baldur
i do like disturbed and rage against the machine!
11.08.2007 - 16:58
Omni
Account deleted
I don't mind listening to Nu Metal if I want to mong out and not have to think all too much. But I don't usually and I haven't heard enough of the bands mentioned on this thread. I don't mind Slipknot in all honesty but don't listen to them often...

I hate the term Nu Metal as well, it just seems so...I don't know...

You can see that this thread hasn't exactly sparked my enthusiasm so I'm going to return to the tr00 metal threads now.
11.08.2007 - 21:10
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I had been pretty obsessed by Mudvayne lately... "The End Of All Things To Come" is a damn good option if you want to hear something loud... and their mix between clean voice and screaming must be the best inside the nu-metal genre... I would love to see Mudvayne live.
17.08.2007 - 02:40
therest
I like this estonian band Hoop ... I have only heard two of their songs and I'm not sure if they have any more of them, but they sound pretty good.
U can check 'em out here http://www.estonianmetal.com/bands.php?id=47
----
"It's because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everybody does everything." - Homer Simpson

"Then hold to the fading colors
The grayest of life is yet to come"
- Întunecatul
30.08.2007 - 05:29
selken
Irreligious
Just Korn and Slipknot, system of a down are not nu metal for me...
----
08.09.2007 - 12:38
Nixx
Account deleted
Written by [user id=22600] on 09.04.2007 at 15:44

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 06.04.2007 at 19:00

Written by [user id=22600] on 05.04.2007 at 18:32

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 16.03.2007 at 04:11

Written by Bitch Boy on 16.03.2007 at 03:42

I also enjoy some songs by Evanescence, Mudvayne, and Linkin Park. I own one song from Godsmack, "Awake", amazing song. Same with Breaking Benjamin, "Forget it", it's really cool, but that's the only thing I know about the band, never heard anything else.

You must check both of them, really.- Godsmakc is simply amazing, Awake is teh song that gave them fame, but they have better songs. About Breaking Benjamin, "Forget it" is a really nice ballad, but the harder songs are way better.

Godsmack are nothing but a giant Alice in Chains rip-off with some extra metal influences. Seriously. I have no repesct for this band.

Actually kid, they're more a Metallica/Pantera rip-off. However, we can't deny they have amazing drums. Their lyrics slam and they're a very dynamic band. Obviously you haven't explored them enough. I strongly recomend you the "Faceless" album and "The Other Side" EP, and of course the "Changes" DVD. You'll find - mainly on the DVD that they are one of the best Nu/Altermnative bands nowadays.

There are many examples of comparisons to Alice in Chains. Sully Erna's style of singing mirrors that of Layne Staley's while the overall sound of the band's first two albums sound incredibly similar to the sound of the Alice in Chains album, Dirt. The logo of Godsmack is similar to the sun logo of Alice in Chains. Godsmack also released an album titled "Faceless" which is similar in name to Alice in Chains' first album Facelift. The band's name is identical to the title of an Alice in Chains song from the album Dirt, being God Smack. In their video, "Keep Away," a boy dressed and wearing a haircut very similar to Alice in Chains singer Layne Staley is seen as the main "character" of the video, though his face is never seen. The band even transcended from their heavy sound to a more mellow acoustic sound on their album The Other Side in the same manner Alice in Chains did in Sap and Jar of Flies. More recently, Godsmack have attempted to distance themselves from the Alice in Chains comparison with Erna stating in an interview with Matt Ashare, "I've just never really heard that in our music."

-From Wikipedia

Seriously, they've ripped off AiC's style, song title, logo and the acoustic/heavy album thing, it's disgusting, they don't deserve to be called musicians. I actually liked Godsmack when I first heard them because of the similarities to AiC which were at the time my favourite band but then when I found out a little bit more about them I lost all my respect for them. And I can't listen to music if I don't respect the artist.

as a Godsmack/Alice in Chains fan, I have serious problems to hear the so-called similarity besides the same gloomy sound at times.
Metallica went from Heavy to Country/accoustic, shouldnt they be so called AiC rip-offs aswell?

second, don't trust Wikipedia as a fact source TOO much, whomsoever can go there and edit info.

I think it's all jut made up by some guy/woman with too much spare time on his hands, and that doesn't know how similar music can be when you have to create new melodies/lyrics after all these years.

And Black Metal have quite many bands that sound alike, call the rip-off alarm anyone?
or what about Gothenburg metal?

Just what I think about this case.
09.09.2007 - 00:13
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
For me, I realy dig Static-X. When I first heard their album Shadow Zone I loved it. It was nothing miondblowing, but just a solid, angry album, and I loved it. And I'll say I am not affraid to wear my Cannibal shirt to a concert.

Korn tends to be hit and miss with me. Some of their material is very well done, and some is just plain crap. I do have all the albums, and will tend to favore Untouchables most of all.
----
(space for rent)
09.09.2007 - 22:50
Stalker
Lone wanderer
I disslike all Nu because I havent hear good Nu Metal band yet, and I doubt I will, but I like Rob Zombie. I know it isnt Nu, but its some alternative....
----
23.09.2007 - 03:52
Empress
My daughter called asking me if I was ready to Rock-n-roll as her friend Wheels gave her a couple of back stage VIP passes to the Allegan county fair to see Revolution Theory, Buck Cherry, Papa Roach and Hinder and she had an extra ticket for me...cool, let's go! Wheels and Leah even came to my house to pick me up for this show.

Surprisingly the sold out show ROCKED! People kept taking about the band Rev...Rev is opening...who is "Rev"....the band was actually Revolution Theory and pretty good for the opening act. They had good command of the stage with their heavy metal rock sound. The crowd was screaming, they band sounded well rehearsed and wouldn't surprise me to see them move up the main stream ladder.

Next up was Buck Cherry...I had all intentions on hating this band but to my surprise they rocked. These guys were awesome and their on-stage energy was incredible, the music was tight, the vocalist was all over the place and I found myself banging my head to the music. These guys were just a fun band on stage. I spent a little time after the show chatting with the band members. These guys are really a great bunch and the drummer was a blast. He signed my VIP pass, I even got a hug and a kiss! Leah of course took pictures of everyone and every thing and these guys where not camera shy.

Papa Roach took the stage and this sold out show was pressed so tight together that you couldn't see an open space, just heads and arms of the screaming crowd that was fired up. Erin (another friend) and I were laughing as people kept jumping up so that crowd would pass them along the top, "riding the crowd' we always called it. "Watch they are going to drop him as it is to packed and people don't want to give up their space" and as soon as I said it ..."Boom"...that had to hurt! As for the band they were awesome but I didn't find myself banging my head so much with this band but I will say they did have a lot of on-stage energy and put on a great show.

Last but not least was Hinder, now I liked this band when I listened to their music off myspace and they rocked on stage. They did not disappoint the crowd either. This is another vocalist that doesn't stand still on stage and he had wonderful control of the crowd. They had great stage presence, massive energy, the music was tight with a good mix as they did a couple of acoustic songs that had all the young ladies throwing their bras on stage. As a matter of fact, I'll bet the band members picked up around 30 bras before they said good night amongst other items (stuff animals, etc). Maybe that's how we should start judging a show...how many bras did you get? Total fun show and I got my VIP pass signed again by the vocalist Austin Winkler, drank a few beers with the band member, shared my elephant ear with them, apparently a couple of them had never had an elephant ear before...they where joking with me about how it looked and ripping off a chuck. Decided it was pretty good and came back for more. I tried to tell them the reason to go to a county fair is consume mass amounts of grease junk food...Leah's laughing telling them "Mom's, they feed the world"...once again hugs and kisses from these guys.

All in all we had a blast!

http://www.myspace.com/_empress
11.10.2007 - 00:10
Istyk
Account deleted
One and only ... KoRn
03.11.2007 - 18:26
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by [user id=26316] on 11.10.2007 at 00:10

One and only ... KoRn

Everyone seems to love KoRn... I still can't like 'em that much. I like some songs, but I can't listen to a complete album. And I tried "Life Is Peachy" and "Follow The Leader", said to be the best albums.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
18.11.2007 - 19:14
Cah
I like korn... and SOAD too.. but sometime I listening
----
* I´m me, You are Yourself.
Don´t forget this! *
19.11.2007 - 05:00
Ellie
Account deleted
Hmm..Evanescence is the only one I like..they just have some good memorable songs haha
19.11.2007 - 09:27
Øyvind
Grave Digger
I'd say KoRn, System Of A Down and Linkin Park are nu bands I listen to, Evanescence have good songs, but somehow her voice... I dunno, doesn't sound quite natural to me, as if she's pulling it out from way deep...
----
20.11.2007 - 02:43
b0000mst1ck
other than korn's first two albums (before they puss and sold out), limp bizkits first (only because it was revolutionary at the time), and SOAD's first two albums i was never really into nu-metal. it's just too boring to listen to. the closest i can come to nu-metal are bands like blinded colony, engel, and carnal forge.

in fact, my friend dragged me to family values over the summer. the only time i didn't want to stab myself was between bands.
30.11.2007 - 17:33
Stigmatized
Written by [user id=5080] on 11.08.2007 at 21:10

I had been pretty obsessed by Mudvayne lately... "The End Of All Things To Come" is a damn good option if you want to hear something loud... and their mix between clean voice and screaming must be the best inside the nu-metal genre... I would love to see Mudvayne live.

I have to agree. I'm not a fan of their other albums, but that album is pretty solid, particularly "World So Cold" which is great.

Written by Dane Train on 09.09.2007 at 00:13

For me, I realy dig Static-X. When I first heard their album Shadow Zone I loved it. It was nothing miondblowing, but just a solid, angry album, and I loved it. And I'll say I am not affraid to wear my Cannibal shirt to a concert.

Korn tends to be hit and miss with me. Some of their material is very well done, and some is just plain crap. I do have all the albums, and will tend to favore Untouchables most of all.

Static-X is also very enjoyable. I see it as more industrial than Nu myself though. "Start A War" blows though. Korn is one of those bands that no one can decide on. I think most people like their music, they just won't admit it.
03.12.2007 - 05:14
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Stigmatized on 30.11.2007 at 17:33
Korn ... I think most people like their music, they just won't admit it.
I wouldn't be so sure, a lot of their lyrics blatantly suck, and musically they have a fair share of boringness.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
08.12.2007 - 02:50
Metalbound7
i enjoy listen to nu metal, but it bore me very fast, i only can stand listen a few songs in a row. the nu metal bands i like are disturbed, system of a down, korn, slipknot, godsmack, rage against the machine, audioslave, breaking benjamin, soil.

as i said i enjoy listen to this kind of bands, but i hate the ones that are mixed whit hip hop like limp bizkit, linkin park (the end is pretty cool but the other songs are crap).
i know that Nu metal is the combination of thrash metal and hip hop but there are metal bands whit adidas clothes, like korn that make good music, and by the other side there are the rappers trying to play guitars like limp bizkit and they do pure shit.
09.01.2008 - 17:40
IllNiñoSweden
Best Nu metal band are Ill Niño, Soulfly and Slipknot of course!!

Korn is shit because I don´t like theirs guitars.