Metal Storm logo
What tuning do you play in?

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 26.12.2007 - 19:58
i mostly play in standard tuning, but occasionally when i feel like playing stuff like Metallica-Whiskey in the Jar, i go down to drop D, seldom in Eb.

you?
07.08.2010 - 17:59
survine
Depends on what im playing, have a few guitars set up differently. My band jams in Eb, but if im playing myself im usually down 1 step.
17.08.2010 - 19:29
warrior_of_ice
My favorite tuning is D# standard, however i play in many tunings. From E standard to C and even B standard. Dropped tunings are fine as well.
17.08.2010 - 19:31
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by survine on 07.08.2010 at 17:59

Depends on what im playing, have a few guitars set up differently. My band jams in Eb, but if im playing myself im usually down 1 step.

I desperately need another guitar or 2, changing tunings all the time is such an annoyance. lol
12.05.2011 - 03:06
Llort
Standard/Drop D. The other guitarist in my band plays a 7 string, so that usually fills out any extra low end that we're looking for.
12.05.2011 - 11:17
Yasmine
B usually, couple songs in A.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
20.05.2011 - 03:15
ANGEL REAPER
STANDARD E! because i really hate to re-tune guitar....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
20.05.2011 - 13:04
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 20.05.2011 at 03:15

yeah, changing tunings every time is a bitch, and fucks up the guitar. they don't call it the standard for nothing..
20.05.2011 - 13:31
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Valentin B on 20.05.2011 at 13:04

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 20.05.2011 at 03:15

yeah, changing tunings every time is a bitch, and fucks up the guitar. they don't call it the standard for nothing..

yeah and also there is problem with my tone def ears....I mean without no tuners around i need 3 weeks! to tune it properly ....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
20.05.2011 - 17:33
Razorback
Standard E,sometimes D.
I agree changing tunings suck..
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
24.05.2011 - 19:41
Sammol
7s Standard BEADGBE
25.05.2011 - 20:24
NyarlathoTim
Wow, standard tuning is more common than I thought. I was going to come in here and complain that everyone tunes too damn low these days.

Depends on the band:
Burning Shadows: Eb
Division: 7 string down 1/2 step (I play bass in Division though)
RVG - standard
----
Burning Shadows - US Power Metal
Recently Vacated Graves - Zombie Metal
Isenmor - Folk Metal
20.06.2011 - 03:59
Vlazreus
I play a cello in standard, which is C-G-D-A. I'm afraid to experiment with drop tuning it because it's an acoustic and that could very likely damage my $5,500 dollar instrument. I dabble in guitar and lately I've been experimenting with rather odd tunings, such as tuning the bottom three stings to C-G-D (like on a cello, and then using a bar chord on all but the bottom string, which remains open as a drone note. I also tuned them to D-A-F so they form a minor chord on there own and you can use movable bar chords. gave it a kind of black metal sound.
20.06.2011 - 05:46
Grody2themax
7 string drop A. That way I can play E standard stuff, as well most any D standard/drop D tuning or lower. The 7 string is nice in that sense, but the next guitar I get will probably be a Steinberger
20.06.2011 - 23:25
fabregassed
Account deleted
E I hate low tunings. But i do occasionaly do Eb and Drop C. Having a floyd rose is a pain in the ass though... I play mostly thrash and classic rock so E pretty much suits my needs. Black metal sounds best with E tunings too.
21.06.2011 - 15:22
SSM
Massacred
Standard E, and D (Sometimes Dropped D).

and A for extra low tuning riffs.

(sometimes M for Metal!)
21.06.2011 - 16:45
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.08.2010 at 19:31

Written by survine on 07.08.2010 at 17:59

I desperately need another guitar or 2, changing tunings all the time is such an annoyance. lol

I know what you mean. It really annoys me when I feel like playing different songs from different bands who have a totally different tuning. I'm so lazy. I do have two guitars set up in two different tunings but I still need to change them all the time!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
23.06.2011 - 21:08
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by BloodTears on 21.06.2011 at 16:45
I know what you mean. It really annoys me when I feel like playing different songs from different bands who have a totally different tuning. I'm so lazy. I do have two guitars set up in two different tunings but I still need to change them all the time!

It's made even worse by the fact that my guitar has a floyd rose, which can make changing to a different tuning an absolute nightmare! lol

Hehe, yeah I can understand why... Id probably need like 4 guitars for all the different tunings I use...
23.06.2011 - 23:34
ANGEL REAPER
Well instead of playing in various tuning i mastered the playing in standard tuning ...
----
19.07.2011 - 17:11
T_s_T
I started out playing in standard E on any guitar...but whenever you put an electric guitar on a drop C tuning...the riffs just come out as pure magic!!!
28.07.2011 - 19:35
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
D standard for Acoustic
Drop C for bass
Plays some Shadows fall or something...
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
28.07.2011 - 20:52
ferm
Depends much of what I am playin. Mostly I play in E tuning and sometimes I tune down a haf or one step and sometimes even more depending on what I am playin. When I write my own stuff I I use to have the standardtuning. But if I sit jamming and try to come up with something good and can't find the kind of sound I look for, I tune down to kinda start out fresh.... xP
09.09.2011 - 17:52
Glaucus
I usually play in anything lower than standard, but, there are some exceptions...

Whenever I practice, I usually tune into E Standard, but whenever I am writing music I either use D Standard, or C Standard. Only reason being since I have a low voice, it makes it easier to write melodies and progressions with the lower tuning. It's easier on my voice, haha.

Predominately, I play in D Standard. But, I have extra guitars tuned to C Standard and then a 7 string for that extra bass B.

Lower the better for me. =) But, all standard tunings. I have been considering experimenting with open tunings, like C open, but I think I would frustrate myself, haha.
----
"Pretty easy work, for a God." - Freya ~ Valkyrie Profile
09.09.2011 - 23:20
Metalorgy
For clean sounds, rock and classic metal stuff I play mostly in standard E on a Gibson SG which I can change to drop D in a matter of seconds. The strings are Ernie Balls "Regular Slinky" (.10 - .46)

For more extreme stuff I use an LTD MH-350 in drop C tuning, which has to stay in that tuning because it has a Floyd Rose. And I spent enough time setting up that bitch to perfection to never touch it again. Drop C is nice for my voice because I'm not very good at singing higher notes. On this guitar I use Ernie Ball "Skinny Top Heavy Bottom" (.10 - .52) which are great because you still have light strings for soloing but the lower strings are fat enough to support that lower tuning.

I'm thinking about getting a third guitar with some EMG's or similar tuned in standard E/drop D for metal stuff where the Gibson can sound a little sloppy.
10.03.2012 - 13:19
I play in standard tuning most of the time.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
11.03.2012 - 18:16
Branzig
2 of my guitars are in standard E. One in open G, and my main axe is D standard.
----
In Grind We Crust
12.03.2012 - 03:54
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Standard or D for electric
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
17.03.2012 - 05:31
Mattybu
Good old E most of the time, sometimes a half step down cause Slayer and a bunch of other thrash uses that, and basically exclusive to when I play Sabbath stuff I'll go down to C# (which sounds unbelievably good, although the strings start to lose a considerable amount of tension at that point ).
17.03.2012 - 06:43
Branzig
Written by Mattybu on 17.03.2012 at 05:31

I'll go down to C# (which sounds unbelievably good, although the strings start to lose a considerable amount of tension at that point ).

What string gauges do you use?
----
In Grind We Crust
17.03.2012 - 06:48
Mattybu
Written by Branzig on 17.03.2012 at 06:43

Written by Mattybu on 17.03.2012 at 05:31

I'll go down to C# (which sounds unbelievably good, although the strings start to lose a considerable amount of tension at that point ).

What string gauges do you use?

Honestly, not completely sure, I put them on a long time ago and I forget. I know there's strings you can get that would solve my problem though. I just don't have them

The only good thing about it is if I play for a long time in C# then when I go back up the strings feel nice and tense and I'll have a period of like 10 minutes where I just shred, lol
17.03.2012 - 06:50
Branzig
Written by Mattybu on 17.03.2012 at 06:48

Honestly, not completely sure, I put them on a long time ago and I forget. I know there's strings you can get that would solve my problem though. I just don't have them

The only good thing about it is if I play for a long time in C# then when I go back up the strings feel nice and tense and I'll have a period of like 10 minutes where I just shred, lol

Jeeze fool! I think it's time you get some new strings haha.

Power Slinkys FTW. Handle standard to drop tunings very well!
----
In Grind We Crust