Metal Storm logo
Buddhism

Original post

Posted by Fuath, 05.01.2008 - 05:33
i had a look for a thread about buddhism, but to my surprise i couldnt find any
if there is already one, can someone post the link here, and ill delete this one

im not actually buddhist, well i dont think im buddhist, although i share many of the same beliefs with this religion

buddhism to me is a religion, but i think it is more a sense of belonging, they dont really have one almighty supernatural being as such, but they do have something to worship

this is what i understand of buddhism, so yes i could be wrong, but i would like to know what everyone else thinks, does anyone follow buddhism, if so, which one, because i remember hearing something about there being two or more different "types" with different beliefs, though i am unsure

am i wrong? what does it mean to you?
09.04.2008 - 09:37
Fuath
Written by Warman on 08.04.2008 at 18:55

I don't have anything against Buddhism but I could never leave alcohol today, sometimes I just have to drink so much that I vomit, can't remember anything and can't walk!

ive never had a full beer before
just sips of one
but my dad offered to buy me some every week
"just a case or two" he says
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

11.04.2008 - 21:06
belisarius
i have to make a report on dukkha, sangha and buddha-nature. so if someone has good information about this topics please inform me.
----
I am a God in the deepest corner of my mind
13.04.2008 - 22:48
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by belisarius on 11.04.2008 at 21:06

i have to make a report on dukkha, sangha and buddha-nature. so if someone has good information about this topics please inform me.

Wikipedia?
14.04.2008 - 22:03
belisarius
Written by [user id=22888] on 13.04.2008 at 22:48

Wikipedia?

i alreadu did that and it gave me a lot of onformation but if anyone knows something interesting, i'm willing to know
----
19.04.2008 - 05:57
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 08.04.2008 at 18:55

I don't have anything against Buddhism but I could never leave alcohol today, sometimes I just have to drink so much that I vomit, can't remember anything and can't walk!

I am Buddhist and I drink (I'm having some right now).

Now to the extent that you say that you drink may be considered morally incorrect because you're causing harm to another being (yourself) technically haha . But though the 5th Precept says to try abstain from alcohol, you must keep in mind that precepts are not like the 10 commandments in Christianity, Buddhists have no god passing judgement upon them or imposing their wrath upon them. The precepts are guideline to accumulating the best Karma possible so that you result in a positive rebirth (or get closer to realising Nibbana). Hell, the 6th Dalai Lama was a drunk!! You are what you create! Each being is the inheritor of his/her own karma. Realistically, it's only the attachment to the alcohol that's most negative. I don't feel attached to it , i am not dependent, I drink it cuz it's something I enjoy, I am not clingy to it.
19.04.2008 - 06:05
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted

dukkha means 'suffering', look into THE FOUR NOBLE TRUTHS (the nature of suffering and how to eliminate it).

sangha is like sort of a congregation or an assembly. they are the people who spread the dhamma to all other beings.

buddha-nature.......anyone can have buddha-nature, it is when they display an act in a way that is reminiscent of The Buddha himself, when great potential to reach enlightenment/realise nirvana is expressed.
13.05.2008 - 03:05
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
wow, i think i may have a lead a friend to The Buddha
13.05.2008 - 11:38
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
my Father is a yogi for years now and a buddhist, and i read a lot of books about buddhism and a lot of Great Osho's books
(he is not really a buddhist and he didnr write the books himself all books r written by students during the lessons cause he thought that its nothin to read a book without a goro).
after all i can say that buddhism is a religioun for sure. a defferent kind of. its more spirtual. but in my opinion religiouns suck. but i can say that Osho is great he is the man without limits,Dynamic Meditation is his way which is very nice to me. for example i meditated with Ascension song (Anathema)
13.05.2008 - 19:17
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
A short article titled "The Neural Buddhists" for anyone interested, takes a short retrospective of how science is changing the way people look at God, yet continue to believe in God (and by the latter God I don't mean the Abrahmic one, which the article states.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/13/opinion/13brooks.html?em&ex=1210824000&en=787e405a3a54e904&ei=5087%0A
----
The force will be with you, always.
13.05.2008 - 22:05
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Clintagräm on 13.05.2008 at 19:17

A short article titled "The Neural Buddhists" for anyone interested, takes a short retrospective of how science is changing the way people look at God, yet continue to believe in God (and by the latter God I don't be the Abrahmic one, which the article states.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/13/opinion/13brooks.html?em&ex=1210824000&en=787e405a3a54e904&ei=5087%0A

This is a promising development. Religion doing battle with science over the superficial details of the physical world will lead nowhere. If we as human beings wish to retain the spiritual dimension in our lives, we should at the very least be responsible for ensuring that spirituality evolves and grows in concert with our understanding of the material universe. Acknowledging that spirituality originates in the inner space of the human psyche - and is a vital part of human experience - is an important first step.
19.05.2008 - 13:35
Fuath
Written by [user id=160] on 13.05.2008 at 03:05

how so?
if you dont mind me asking?
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

19.05.2008 - 17:38
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Written by Fuath on 19.05.2008 at 13:35

how so?

Well, as it turns out, I didn't actually lead him into becoming a full-on Buddhist, but I did encourage him to adopt Buddhist viewpoints. He is agnostic but leans towards Buddhist beliefs cuz it makes the most sense to him. We started talking about beliefs/religion, so I told him of my discovery and all the good it has to offer. It sounded pleasing to him so he's now like 'half-buddhist' i guess lol.
20.05.2008 - 01:47
Fuath
Written by [user id=160] on 19.05.2008 at 17:38

Written by Fuath on 19.05.2008 at 13:35

how so?

Well, as it turns out, I didn't actually lead him into becoming a full-on Buddhist, but I did encourage him to adopt Buddhist viewpoints. He is agnostic but leans towards Buddhist beliefs cuz it makes the most sense to him. We started talking about beliefs/religion, so I told him of my discovery and all the good it has to offer. It sounded pleasing to him so he's now like 'half-buddhist' i guess lol.

thats still somewhat of an achievment though

anyways, i just bought "the art of happiness"
and it is one of the greatest books i have ever read
im only up to page 22, but its really quite inspirational

ever read it before?
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

20.05.2008 - 22:27
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
@Fuath:

thank you

but no, those sort of books wouldn't be available in The Bahamas, but even when I go away I must be careful of the books I purchase cuz I don't wish to tell my parents of my decision at this point in my life. I bought some meditation books what are in depth about buddhist content......but I can only buy such books if the titles are simple like "How To Meditate".
24.05.2008 - 09:33
FOOCK Nam
Written by [user id=160] on 20.05.2008 at 22:27

@Fuath:

thank you

but no, those sort of books wouldn't be available in The Bahamas, but even when I go away I must be careful of the books I purchase cuz I don't wish to tell my parents of my decision at this point in my life. I bought some meditation books what are in depth about buddhist content......but I can only buy such books if the titles are simple like "How To Meditate".

Why you cant tell your parents about that ? or do you really want to become a Buddist monk?
25.05.2008 - 00:57
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Written by FOOCK Nam on 24.05.2008 at 09:33

@Fuath:

thank you

Why you cant tell your parents about that ? or do you really want to become a Buddist monk?

No, I do not wish to become a monk.
It's just telling them my beliefs, well my mom I don't think she'd mind but my dad is one of those close-minded christian types (not to pass judgement). His ignorance would never allow him to come to terms or become accepting of the path I've chosen.
25.05.2008 - 11:10
FOOCK Nam
@Lowelas OF FIRE: I understand your stiuation, the difference between your father religion and yours can casue conflict. Maybe I would choose the same way of solution as not telling him if I was in that case.
01.06.2008 - 02:06
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
@Jed: I'm glad you understand, I'll tell him one day though
05.06.2008 - 11:04
Fuath

@Fuath:

thank you

i have met alot of people in that situation my friend
i still feel it is best to tell them
i also understand what parents can do when they feel one thing, but you feel another

the book titles, well, one is called the art of happiness, doesnt necessarily have to link to buddhism
maybe hint towards your father, so he gets used to the idea, before he figures it out?
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

15.06.2008 - 18:01
belisarius
although i don't believe some parts of buddhism (like desire should be eliminated) i have to admit that ther are some really wise and true things in buddhism. so if any religion should be "the best", for me, it would be buddhism. and here in belgium buddhism an meditation is more like a trend then a taboo
----
15.06.2008 - 18:29
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by belisarius on 15.06.2008 at 18:01

although i don't believe some parts of buddhism (like desire should be eliminated)

Yeah, but it's probably the smartest path to take. But most people are too egotistical to understand that the greatest good for everyone might not be what they desire. That's what Buddhism tries to teach, that our social preconceptions that we are taught are inherently harmful. But most people are too busy to notice that their craving, greed, selfishness, attachment and so on is more harmful to them and others than pleasurable at that specific moment in time. Trust me, I've made a great many mistakes in my life and hopefully this path will help me in my endeavors.

By the way, I'm currently reading a book putting the ten paramitas (practices towards enlightenment) by Lama Surya Das. It's really very good and written from a Western perspective. I'm trying to read a new paramita every few days while also understanding them and I'm also taking somewhat detailed notes. It's called the "Bodhisattva Way" for anyone interested, or those who know it.
----
15.06.2008 - 18:33
belisarius
Written by Clintagräm on 15.06.2008 at 18:29

although i don't believe some parts of buddhism (like desire should be eliminated)

Yeah, but it's probably the smartest path to take. But most people are too egotistical to understand that the greatest good for everyone might not be what they desire. That's what Buddhism tries to teach, that our social preconceptions that we are taught are inherently harmful. But most people are too busy to notice that their craving, greed, selfishness, attachment and so on is more harmful to them and others than pleasurable at that specific moment in time. Trust me, I've made a great many mistakes in my life and hopefully this path will help me in my endeavors.

But since humans are animals and animals do whatever they desire, we should too. I think we must embrace our basic nature in stead of turning away from it. desire is necessary to survive since we all have the desire to live. and by the way isn't wanting to be enlighted a desire too?
----
15.06.2008 - 18:50
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by belisarius on 15.06.2008 at 18:33

But since humans are animals and animals do whatever they desire, we should too. I think we must embrace our basic nature in stead of turning away from it. desire is necessary to survive since we all have the desire to live. and by the way isn't wanting to be enlighted a desire too?

I said it was probably the smartest way, not the most appealing, as you are an example. I think in order to survive to the fullest extent, physically, mentally, and even spiritually it's the wisest road to take. Animals act out of instinct, humanity has grown beyond mere submission to these instincts, obviously. Desires aren't the same things as needs. I think to live a truly happy life people don't need all the stuff they own, all the things they do, or the people they love. However, growing up in a society like mine or yours, we lose sight of what is important in life (ie: helping others and thus even furthering that survival desire) and instead focus on our own egotistical desires and wants. I'm still trying to let go of an unfortunate event that overtook my life just a few weeks ago and I am realizing a lot from what Buddhism teaches and will hopefully never make those same mistakes again.

People often agree with Buddhism's teachings, but just like most religious faiths, fail to incorporate them into their lives. One of the central teachings of Buddhism's paramitas is patience and it seems no one has enough patience anymore to take the time to understand and learn what is out there that can actually make your life better besides just new electronics, sex, drugs, or whatever else gets you off. I'm not saying throw away everything you enjoy and become a stoic or hermit, but realize that most of us are unhappy not because of suffering (which does occur) but because of just dissatisfaction because we expect too much, and how we are raised is really to blame for that.
----
15.06.2008 - 20:20
belisarius
Written by Clintagräm on 15.06.2008 at 18:50

I said it was probably the smartest way, not the most appealing, as you are an example. I think in order to survive to the fullest extent, physically, mentally, and even spiritually it's the wisest road to take. Animals act out of instinct, humanity has grown beyond mere submission to these instincts, obviously. Desires aren't the same things as needs. I think to live a truly happy life people don't need all the stuff they own, all the things they do, or the people they love. However, growing up in a society like mine or yours, we lose sight of what is important in life (ie: helping others and thus even furthering that survival desire) and instead focus on our own egotistical desires and wants. I'm still trying to let go of an unfortunate event that overtook my life just a few weeks ago and I am realizing a lot from what Buddhism teaches and will hopefully never make those same mistakes again.

personally i believe that man only acts out of instinct and that helping others is a way of having power over someone. that's (i think) another desire of mankind: power.
----
15.06.2008 - 21:29
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by belisarius on 15.06.2008 at 20:20

personally i believe that man only acts out of instinct and that helping others is a way of having power over someone. that's (i think) another desire of mankind: power.

Maybe for some, but if you believe that is true for every human who helps another, then you are severely mistaken. Your Nietzsche worship is bleeding through, try and make it a little less obvious, I beg you.
----
15.06.2008 - 21:36
belisarius
Written by Clintagräm on 15.06.2008 at 21:29

Written by belisarius on 15.06.2008 at 20:20

Maybe for some, but if you believe that is true for every human who helps another, then you are severely mistaken. Your Nietzsche worship is bleeding through, try and make it a little less obvious, I beg you.

is there something wrong with Nietzsche? he took over a lot of buddhist ideas. and there's a reason why he is in my signature
----
17.06.2008 - 01:35
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by belisarius on 15.06.2008 at 21:36

is there something wrong with Nietzsche?

Forgive me, but I just find him a little tasteless, though obviously captivating at times. I just hate when his admirers let his tone bleed through their own "opinions."
----
01.08.2008 - 05:35
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted

About wanting to be enlightened a desire.......
ummmmm
well
that also is HARMFUL!
if you try too hard to obtain it and fail, you create suffering for yourself!
Even positive things can lead to suffering
food is a positive thing, but clinging to it can make you a total fat ass lol.
01.08.2008 - 20:02
belisarius
Written by [user id=160] on 01.08.2008 at 05:35

About wanting to be enlightened a desire.......
ummmmm
well
that also is HARMFUL!
if you try too hard to obtain it and fail, you create suffering for yourself!
Even positive things can lead to suffering
food is a positive thing, but clinging to it can make you a total fat ass lol.

so what you are saying is that you need to moderate your desires?
if yes, then you still have desires and you are still suffering
if no, then you will die because you can't desire food
----
01.08.2008 - 21:44
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by belisarius on 15.06.2008 at 21:36

he took over a lot of buddhist ideas.

Nietzsche & Buddhism?
i've heard some pll conecting him to mysticism but with buddhism, it's the first time.
well honestly i almost know nothing about buddhism so have nothing to say!!
maybe you refer to his view point over mankind...

@Lowelas OF FIRE
i suggest you don't tell 'em untill you are totally independant, according to my personal experience...
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face