Metal Storm logo
What is the meaning of life?

Original post

Posted by Berfones, 24.04.2008 - 15:10
I have been looking the MS forum for this thread and I was amazed to find that the only matches to my search were Monty Pyton movie and some other thing that bearly mantion it, so I decided to open my own thread (hopfully this one will not be locked after one day) and to ask you what is the meaning of life for you, I know that this is a very abstract question, so everyone will have a different answer to it, and some will have several answers.
My meanings of life are music and my book, I think of them as my meanings of life because that if one of them will sieze to be I will probably kill myself.
This thread can also be a place for philosophical questions such as what came first, the chicken or the egg? (I have the answer to it if you want...), and one more thing, can someone tell me why do the mods hate Varg Vikernes threads so much?
13.06.2010 - 22:53
Matis
Hmm ... Life !
I think Life is that stage where we're not dead
----
" Je me crois en enfer, donc j'y suis. " [Arthur Rimbaud]
(I believe I am in Hell, therefore I am.)
22.06.2010 - 18:11
Berfones
Several students "closed" the Physics faculty today, the signs said "The answer to everything had been found, it is 42, now this faculty is useless and thus closed" XD at least mine is still open XD:banger:
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
15.07.2010 - 04:18
YonTroper

Seriously though, I think the meaning of life is... well, the meaning of life is the search for meaning, if that makes any sense.
----
I need a signature. Dunno what to write.
15.07.2010 - 13:43
k1tu
"The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." - Jack London.
So...For me the meaning of life is just living it the best way you can...Don't think too much because if you do...You can end up leaving this world with a very light bag...Take risks that you think are worth taking and hold the people closest to you...Just be yourself, live and then hopefully die happy.!
18.07.2010 - 09:50
Well, the underlying biological "meaning of life" is to merely propagate and inexhaustibly replicate our genes. All organisms are simply a vessel for such genes for natural selection to ruthlessly act upon.

But luckily, as humans, we are able to overcome this instictual urge by creating our own meanings to live by and for. And that's the beauty of it -- we engender meanings for ourselves, whatever they may be, and thus we are able to accordingly befit the role of a unique species. An interesting quote:

"I don't think we're for anything, we're just products of evolution. You can say 'Gee, your life must be pretty bleak if you don't think there's a purpose' but I'm anticipating a good lunch."
--Dr. James Watson, American biologist, co-discoverer of the structure of DNA
02.08.2010 - 21:19
ThisIsNotHere
Life just is. There is no meaning, and I believe that "nothing is true" is the only truth. There is no purpose for the existence of humanity, Earth, our solar system, universe, etc.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't make the best of our time. We're here, might as well do something. For me, that means doing what makes me happy and gives a sense of satisfaction. Not in a primitive hedonistic sense, as constant uncontrolled indulgence in instant gratification and nothing else doesn't leave me satisfied, and can sabotage what I really want to do. I prefer finding a place where I can demonstrate my abilities to myself, while continually growing on an intellectual level. Materialism isn't important; as long as I have enough food and money to get by, I'm fine. Sex, drugs*, and consumer goods are merely luxuries, not the focus.

This also means not falling into social solipsism. Although I do view myself as my own authority and society, and I play by my own rules, I recognize the importance of considering others that are of value, and following laws when the risk outweighs the reward, as well as the need for some sort of societal order. Although I don't believe in any objective authority, I recognize that there needs to be the illusion of one, whether through religion, morality, government, or some other control in order for society to properly function. If my country was in extreme disarray, how could I act in a manner that would be the most beneficial to working toward my goals? Sure, it's a form self-interest, but how is that a bad thing? Never considering yourself seems masochistic, as does acting on every primal impulse (which wouldn't be self-interest if it fucks the individual over in the end. Unless they want that).

Basically, I create my own meaning, even though in the end when put into perspective with the universe, there is no point. I enjoy life while it lasts.
----
I almost cried because I acted so insensitive
02.08.2010 - 22:04
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Life is a grindcore track by Napalm Death,
it's fast-paced, unexpected and complicated, unpleasant, and its over before you know it.
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
09.08.2010 - 01:26
RockeRoy
There is no meaning to life except to reproduce maybe. we are not put here to serve any role or do anything special. thats the truth.. All just natural selection, but we can be happy our brain has evolved so much so we can do the stuff we love. Music, great food, family, friends, movies, sex, weed, beer, whiskey, working out, can you ask for more?? Just try not to fuck up.. thats posible! then your meaning of life will be to get your shit to getter again so you can go back to where you where before you fucked up... so it's just stupid to fuck up in the first place because it only takes away alot of time.:)
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
10.08.2010 - 02:31
Fane
I'm not an expert of biology, but I think there's no need for humans in nature. The planet doesn't need us to survive. It's actually vice versa, we just disrupt its functioning. Then on the personal (mental, spiritual...) side, I think my purpose is just to enjoy the life as much as possible until grim reaper (which I hope to be something as cool as red-eyed teddybear) comes to claim me. Of course I have aims, desires and so on, but they aren't the meaning for my life, just the product of life as it creates all those things. Our brains tend to make us want many things. So what comes to human life, no purpose. Sad

Life... I wonder if anyone has actually defined "life". But let's just say nature, biochemical structure or whatever. As for as I know, it doesn't have a purpose. Of course it tries to survive, but stating that life's purpose is to survive is... retarded. The astronomically big ball named "Earth" happened to get a good place in our solar system thus giving birth to "life". Is there a reason for that? Nope, pretty much just lucky coincidence.

Then if we go deeper and broaden our vision, we realize that our nature, "life", is the production of another "life", our universe's. And if it has some purpose, I guess we'll eventually find it out. It is possible that we'll one day know what the universe actually is, how it was born and so on.
----
Coffee for power
Music for creativity
Sarcasm for fun
10.08.2010 - 02:54
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
You forgot about plastic !! of course humans are important, without us the earth would have no plastic or aluminum as they can never be produced naturally and have to be manufactured
so, that's all what we're good for
----

10.08.2010 - 04:11
Fane
Oh, of course! How would pandas survive without plastic bag caves and monkeys without aluminium sticks with which to beat the crap out of all birds!

Ok, ok, let's keep it "serious".
----
Coffee for power
Music for creativity
Sarcasm for fun
10.08.2010 - 06:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Fane on 10.08.2010 at 02:31

I'm not an expert of biology, but I think there's no need for humans in nature. The planet doesn't need us to survive. It's actually vice versa, we just disrupt its functioning.

Have you ever read The World Without Us by Alan Weisman? http://www.worldwithoutus.com/did_you_know.html Simply brilliant.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.08.2010 - 12:45
Fane
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.08.2010 at 06:17

Written by Fane on 10.08.2010 at 02:31

I'm not an expert of biology, but I think there's no need for humans in nature. The planet doesn't need us to survive. It's actually vice versa, we just disrupt its functioning.

Have you ever read The World Without Us by Alan Weisman? http://www.worldwithoutus.com/did_you_know.html Simply brilliant.

Man, now I have to break into radio station and send my legacy to space o_o Seems to be an interesting book. I wonder if I can get it from anywhere here...

So in the end, only some species are depend on humans. However I believe that the planet would correct this slowly, but surely. Maybe some species would die before that, but in the end the species would be balanced.
----
Coffee for power
Music for creativity
Sarcasm for fun
10.09.2010 - 00:36
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
The meaning of life is to give life meaning.

What? Am I not allowed to be cheesy every once in a while?
10.09.2010 - 02:18
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by [user id=105293] on 10.09.2010 at 00:36

That is absolutely brilliant btw in case you haven't noticed ...
----

10.09.2010 - 02:24
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Zombie on 10.09.2010 at 02:18

Written by [user id=105293] on 10.09.2010 at 00:36

That is absolutely brilliant btw in case you haven't noticed ...

Well, it's actually stolen, but thanks anyway. I'd say the meaning of existence is to give meaning to existence, so it becomes a life. Existing isn't living, only a meaningful existence is worthy of the title "living".
10.09.2010 - 14:23
JD
Account deleted
Life = Shit

"it's true if you think life's good now, just wait"
10.09.2010 - 16:35
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by [user id=28526] on 10.09.2010 at 14:23

Life = Shit

Then how can we possibly condemn someone who's taken a life?
10.09.2010 - 18:07
JD
Account deleted
Written by [user id=105293] on 10.09.2010 at 16:35

Life = Shit

am not gonna answer, but seriously dude my life was so hard, am sick of this, so this is just my opinion about life
10.09.2010 - 18:46
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Nah, he lives in Europe man, he wouldnt know what you're talking about hehe ...
my life sucks pretty much too .. i HAVE to get out of this place, is immigration to the UK fast and simple ? i'm thinking UK, Canada, Australia, Netherlands, or USA.
----

10.09.2010 - 19:18
Berfones

Life = Shit

I, for once, do not condemn murder, maybe 150 years ago I would, but today I guess over 70% of people are worthless to the world, either destroying it or simply doing nothing worthwhile...I am talking about the "developed" world, I respect tribal life style and other non-technological life styles, but if someone uses technology be it for a worthy cause such as research, learning and others of a sort, the ones that are the living embodiment of Peter Griffin for example have never, and will never have any contribution to the world thus their death I do not condemn
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
10.09.2010 - 21:08
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by [user id=28526] on 10.09.2010 at 18:07

Life = Shit

am not gonna answer, but seriously dude my life was so hard, am sick of this, so this is just my opinion about life

Think very hard about your first post and then look at my response again. I think you missed my subtle joke there. Taking a life = taking a.... get it?
10.09.2010 - 22:43
DarkestChild
The meaning of life can be seen in different ways... The meaning that others think that my life has doesn't quite interest me, the primordial meaning remains unknown and mysterious and I don't think I will ever find it out so the most important one is the meaning that I choose to give to my life.
----
If you see a stain on you in the mirror, remove it from you not from the mirror
11.09.2010 - 03:16
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
In a cynic point of view, life can be meaningful by being humble, ridding yourself of materialism, and embracing nature.
----

11.09.2010 - 08:22
Gurth Bennas
Life is an opportunity to share your talents and thinks and live with other people in peace and enjoy! so why do we fight each other instead of live friendly together? we live to show our kindness to others and get kindness from them.
I hope I could define life well!
----
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

(One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them)
11.09.2010 - 10:56
akvan
The life is just a beautiful death ( wintersun )
----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
11.09.2010 - 14:44
JD
Account deleted
Written by [user id=105293] on 10.09.2010 at 21:08

Written by [user id=28526] on 10.09.2010 at 18:07

Life = Shit

Think very hard about your first post and then look at my response again. I think you missed my subtle joke there. Taking a life = taking a.... get it?

Yeah man i get it the first time, smart question i admit it... but still Life = Shit for me
11.09.2010 - 20:27
TheBigRossowski
Written by Sleeping Dragon on 18.07.2010 at 09:50

Well, the underlying biological "meaning of life" is to merely propagate and inexhaustibly replicate our genes. All organisms are simply a vessel for such genes for natural selection to ruthlessly act upon.

But luckily, as humans, we are able to overcome this instictual urge by creating our own meanings to live by and for. And that's the beauty of it -- we engender meanings for ourselves, whatever they may be, and thus we are able to accordingly befit the role of a unique species. An interesting quote:

"I don't think we're for anything, we're just products of evolution. You can say 'Gee, your life must be pretty bleak if you don't think there's a purpose' but I'm anticipating a good lunch."
--Dr. James Watson, American biologist, co-discoverer of the structure of DNA

Great answer, man! I think if people would read Hawking's new book (The Grand Design- Sept.10) they'll be a bit closer to this realization. Even without knowing that much about biology...

People can keep searching for a ''meaning'' in their lives, but it's better just to stop. Seriously.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
15.09.2010 - 23:41
FOOCK Nam
Written by Zombie on 10.09.2010 at 18:46

Nah, he lives in Europe man, he wouldnt know what you're talking about hehe ...
my life sucks pretty much too .. i HAVE to get out of this place, is immigration to the UK fast and simple ? i'm thinking UK, Canada, Australia, Netherlands, or USA.

Same here . We are My friend of misery
16.09.2010 - 06:02
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@ezz_zombie: There are already too many people immigrating here to Canada and already in Canada...I wouldn't suggest the USA either...you should try the Netherlands, man...