Metal Storm logo
January 2023 update bugs

‹‹ Back to Bugs

Original post

Posted by corrupt, 14.01.2023 - 16:53
As announced in the news, we kindly ask you to report anything odd about the site that you think is new or want to bring up again here.

There are a few issues we already know about.

• The search function sometimes returns less results than before
  • Lists may have to be-relinked and some band tags may have stopped working

Feel free to bring anything else up here. We'll look into it and fix as necessary.
08.02.2023 - 02:52
Doomus
I don't know if it is a new thing, but when you click on the rating of a video, you end up on the rating breakdown on an unrelated album (with the same id)

Video with id 485 links to album with id 485
10.02.2023 - 16:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Not sure if its my PC but video dont work, I click to the video and it reconnects to same video page
example
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.02.2023 - 16:57
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Written by Bad English on 10.02.2023 at 16:41

Not sure if its my PC but video dont work, I click to the video and it reconnects to same video page
example

Taravilyaion simply forgot to add the URL. Please do not report obvious user mistakes here.
----
signatures = SPAM
12.02.2023 - 12:53
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Doomus on 08.02.2023 at 02:52
I don't know if it is a new thing, but when you click on the rating of a video, you end up on the rating breakdown on an unrelated album (with the same id)

Video with id 485 links to album with id 485

I would like to say this was not a new thing but at this point I cannot rule out anything anymore. At any rate, the ratings page isn't equipped to deal with anything other than albums, so I removed the link from the displayed ratings for now.
----
12.02.2023 - 16:23
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
As reported here, people cannot delete their old comments anymore.
I tested this with another account and it's true, deleted posts come back as soon as you reload the page. However, this bug seems to be limited to regular users. I can delete as many old comments as I want.

Furthermore, rating albums does not work anymore. I can neither delete old votes nor cast new ones. This has also been reported here and in today's shoutbox.
----
signatures = SPAM
12.02.2023 - 17:42
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Starvynth on 12.02.2023 at 16:23
As reported here, people cannot delete their old comments anymore.
I tested this with another account and it's true, deleted posts come back as soon as you reload the page. However, this bug seems to be limited to regular users. I can delete as many old comments as I want.

Ah. Thanks for bringing that back up, I completely missed that. The code is kind of a mess, but I did put in a fix. I also fixed the bug where Threads weren't updated in the forums overview when someone deleted the last post.
----
13.02.2023 - 21:53
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Admin
The staff picks catalogue is limited to one page: whether I access my own staff picks from my profile or I access the full list from the Staff page, I scroll down to the end of the first page and have no option to navigate to any previous page and view older picks.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
15.02.2023 - 23:23
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Deleting spam comments does not work anymore for me.
Also, changing thread titles via "edit topic" no longer works.
----
signatures = SPAM
18.02.2023 - 01:49
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Commenting on your own "publication" (e.g. list) sends you a notification that you commented on it.
18.02.2023 - 09:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by LeKiwi on 18.02.2023 at 01:49

Commenting on your own "publication" (e.g. list) sends you a notification that you commented on it.

It was always there , Lists , I dont remember articesl, but own list comment was there before january
----

18.02.2023 - 18:05
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Bad English on 18.02.2023 at 09:05

It was always there , Lists , I dont remember articesl, but own list comment was there before january

I don't think it was there a few months ago. I commented on my own lists and no notification until this time. But either way, probably not useful right?
18.02.2023 - 18:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by LeKiwi on 18.02.2023 at 18:05

Written by Bad English on 18.02.2023 at 09:05

I don't think it was there a few months ago. I commented on my own lists and no notification until this time. But either way, probably not useful right?

I did comment my interviews and must it was here in a days.
----

08.03.2023 - 09:37
Redel
I dont know if this is the right place to put this.
There has been a change in login procedures recently, you cannot login with your username any more, you have to use your email address now. Correct?

Since this change has been implemented I frequnetly observe the following behavior. On my android phone only (not on computer that is), when logging in on the Web Application with my email I would receive the following message: Error!
The session for this form is invalid or has expired. Please try again.
Directly beneath the message there would be a second message saying You are now logged in. And I actually am, there are no further problems.

But I find the error message strange. Why does it pop up there? Could it be related to the fact that my login data (email and password) is safed on my phone in some Samsung key access administration? When I log in on the app this key access pops up and suggests the correct login data. I would select the suggested data, in turn it gets filled in on the app and I would hit login. Then the error message pops up.
09.03.2023 - 19:05
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Redel on 08.03.2023 at 09:37

I dont know if this is the right place to put this.
There has been a change in login procedures recently, you cannot login with your username any more, you have to use your email address now. Correct?

Since this change has been implemented I frequnetly observe the following behavior. On my android phone only (not on computer that is), when logging in on the Web Application with my email I would receive the following message: Error!
The session for this form is invalid or has expired. Please try again.
Directly beneath the message there would be a second message saying You are now logged in. And I actually am, there are no further problems.

But I find the error message strange. Why does it pop up there? Could it be related to the fact that my login data (email and password) is safed on my phone in some Samsung key access administration? When I log in on the app this key access pops up and suggests the correct login data. I would select the suggested data, in turn it gets filled in on the app and I would hit login. Then the error message pops up.

Interesting. The error message is related to CSRF protection. A cookie is set when you open the login page with a value inside that is checked against after form submission to make sure you opened the site before sending the login request. That‘s standard behavior for sites today. The token has a lifetime that I can‘t tell you right now because I‘m on the go. After that, the session is invalid and the page should reload and ask you to log in again.
When the session is invalid, login is not completed. If you‘re logged in despite the message I figure that‘s a bug somewhere that I have to investigate.

Do you observe the same behavior when you manually log out or reset your e-mail address?
----
09.03.2023 - 19:42
Redel
Written by corrupt on 09.03.2023 at 19:05

Do you observe the same behavior when you manually log out or reset your e-mail address?

Thank you very much for your reply. To answer your question, I dont recall ever having seen this error message after a logout (only login), and I always logout manually, meaning I go to my profile and choose "logout" from the options.

But it seems I now found the reason for the behavior I observe, after having thought about the information you provided in your comment.
I cannot say for sure yet if it definitely explains this behavior, I will have to gather more points of observation first, but I do have a strong believe that there is a relation between what I observe and what I describe in the following paragraph.

The problem probably lies in the fact that I hit the login button when I want to login in.
Because only a minute ago I figured out that there is in fact no need for me to hit this button. I get logged in automatically after having selected my login data from the key admin my Samsung phone suggests me. I select the correct login data, the data get filled in the MS web app, and I would only need to wait say for two seconds to become logged in automatically. However, instead of waiting for two seconds, what I have always done was, I hit the login button. Presumably thereby I "logged in twice" or I caused some overlap in login requests -- I guess you will have the correct technical term for what is going on here.
Do I make any sense here, could that explain why I received the error message?
09.03.2023 - 21:31
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Redel on 09.03.2023 at 19:42
The problem probably lies in the fact that I hit the login button when I want to login in.
Because only a minute ago I figured out that there is in fact no need for me to hit this button. I get logged in automatically after having selected my login data from the key admin my Samsung phone suggests me. I select the correct login data, the data get filled in the MS web app, and I would only need to wait say for two seconds to become logged in automatically. However, instead of waiting for two seconds, what I have always done was, I hit the login button. Presumably thereby I "logged in twice" or I caused some overlap in login requests -- I guess you will have the correct technical term for what is going on here.
Do I make any sense here, could that explain why I received the error message?

Ah yes, that makes total sense.
The site doesn‘t use a templating system that we could use to display the error/info messages with yet. Instead, it stores whatever it wants to tell you in your session, redirects you to the page it needs you to go to and, upon rendering that, pulls said messages from the session to display them.
So when you double-submit, three things happen:

• 1st request: Your login is completed, your session regenerated, the success message is stored in it and you‘re redirected to the home page
  • 2nd request is processed by the server with the same CSRF token again. The server realizes your CSRF token doesn‘t match, stores an error message and redirects you to the login page
  • either of the two redirects is processed by your browser and the page is rendered with both messages stored in your session.

What interests me now is: Are you redirected to the home page or the login page in these cases. I would expect the login page since that‘s the second of the two requests but, honestly, either is possible.

This is hard to fix, though. I could store additional state that says you‘ve JUST logged in and suppress the CSRF warning message, but that‘s a kinda hacky solution for a problem that‘ll disappear once we introduce proper templating anyway. So if you figured it out and can live with it, I tend to just leave things as they are.
----
09.03.2023 - 21:55
Redel
Written by corrupt on 09.03.2023 at 21:31

What interests me now is: Are you redirected to the home page or the login page in these cases. I would expect the login page since that‘s the second of the two requests but, honestly, either is possible.

This is hard to fix, though. I could store additional state that says you‘ve JUST logged in and suppress the CSRF warning message, but that‘s a kinda hacky solution for a problem that‘ll disappear once we introduce proper templating anyway. So if you figured it out and can live with it, I tend to just leave things as they are.

Oh, please dont put in any more effort in trying to fix this one. It is fixed for me, now that I understood where it came from and that it is obviously solely caused by my own (mis-)behavior.
To answer your question: I get redirected to the login page. And I would always find myself logged in, despite the error message. There is variation though in whether I would see a second message saying "you are now logged in" or I would not see this second message, both seems to occur.

I have a related question for you:
Right now I have gathered some more observations, which let me suspect that there might be an interdependence between the behavior I described and the fact whether I am simultaneously logged in on a second machine, which would be my computer. And it goes in the direction of: When I am logged in on my computer and then would do the "double login" on my phone, the error message seems to *not* occur. On the contrary, when I am not logged in on my computer and would double login on my phone, said error message would occur.
Would there be any reason for that?
Or, my question actually is: Is there, in general, any interdependence between a login on one machine and another simultaneous login on another machine?
09.03.2023 - 22:03
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Redel on 09.03.2023 at 21:55
Right now I have gathered some more observations, which let me suspect that there might be an interdependence between the behavior I described and the fact whether I am simultaneously logged in on a second machine, which would be my computer. And it goes in the direction of: When I am logged in on my computer and then would do the "double login" on my phone, the error message seems to *not* occur. On the contrary, when I am not logged in on my computer and would double login on my phone, said error message would occur.
Would there be any reason for that?
Or, my question actually is: Is there, in general, any interdependence between a login on one machine and another simultaneous login on another machine?

I‘m going to say that shouldn‘t be the case. Sessions have no relation to your user account other than storing your user id. There‘s no state saved across machines. I couldn‘t even tell you on which machines you‘re logged in if I wanted to, and we should be able to do that so people can kill their own sessions on other devices. If you keep observing that behavior and find it to be reproduceable, please let me know.
----
12.03.2023 - 10:21
nikarg
Staff
There is either something wrong with the Staff Picks page or Megaton Sword's Might & Power is so mighty and powerful that it pulverized every other album there (which would actually make sense, since that's what one million tons of TNT is supposed to do).
12.03.2023 - 12:22
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by nikarg on 12.03.2023 at 10:21
There is either something wrong with the Staff Picks page or Megaton Sword's Might & Power is so mighty and powerful that it pulverized every other album there (which would actually make sense, since that's what one million tons of TNT is supposed to do).

I think we encountered this before. As far as I remember it displays either a list of picks or, if there are recent ones, only the recent ones up to a certain spot back in time.
Unfortunately I'm down with a hefty case of the flu this weekend. I find it hard to concentrate on video games right now, much less code. I'll put it on my list to look at when I'm feeling better.
----
12.03.2023 - 12:38
nikarg
Staff
Written by corrupt on 12.03.2023 at 12:22

I think we encountered this before. As far as I remember it displays either a list of picks or, if there are recent ones, only the recent ones up to a certain spot back in time.
Unfortunately I'm down with a hefty case of the flu this weekend. I find it hard to concentrate on video games right now, much less code. I'll put it on my list to look at when I'm feeling better.

SSUS has mentioned the issue before, I think. If it helps, this is what it looks like on my screen. Only one staff pick is shown, the one I posted today. Mind you, the past staff picks are not deleted entirely from the website (fortunately), because they can be found on the respective album pages.

It's neither a serious nor a pressing matter by any means. I hope you get well soon, mate.
12.03.2023 - 14:58
F3ynman
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by nikarg on 12.03.2023 at 12:38

Only one staff pick is shown, the one I posted today.

Do you still have this issue? I can see all the staff picks
12.03.2023 - 15:39
nikarg
Staff
Written by F3ynman on 12.03.2023 at 14:58

Do you still have this issue? I can see all the staff picks

I do, but after your comment I logged out and I could see them all. Now that I have logged in again, I only see Megaton Sword. Weird.
16.03.2023 - 12:55
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Not sure if this is a new or old bug, but some albums have "-1" in collection.
16.03.2023 - 20:59
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Written by LeKiwi on 16.03.2023 at 12:55

Not sure if this is a new or old bug, but some albums have "-1" in collection.

This is an old bug, but thanks for reporting it, because I had almost forgotten about it.
I fixed the counter for the Without Waves album and two more I stumbled across today.
As long as there is no automated fix, please feel free to report such things in the album threads. It may take a few hours, but sooner or later I will correct each of these minor blemishes.
----
signatures = SPAM
19.03.2023 - 20:12
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Special characters and quotation marks in news headlines are broken (see here, here and here).
Also, quotation marks appear corrupted whenever we link albums with articles, as can be seen here, here and here.

This seems to be a pretty new bug, I don't think this was already a thing two weeks ago.
----
signatures = SPAM
19.03.2023 - 22:51
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Starvynth on 19.03.2023 at 20:12

Special characters and quotation marks in news headlines are broken (see here, here and here).

Now that's what we call double escaping

Written by Starvynth on 19.03.2023 at 20:12

Also, quotation marks appear corrupted whenever we link albums with articles, as can be seen here, here and here.

This seems to be a pretty new bug, I don't think this was already a thing two weeks ago.

I just re-submitted that The Watcher album and that fixed it. Seems like the database just stores escaped HTML entities for these links. I'll see what I can do about that.
----
19.03.2023 - 23:38
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
I ran a routine over the database column and re-encoded all those html entities.
----
23.03.2023 - 23:46
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Noticed that albums now have all of a given band's genre tags, so the periods of each tag don't apply: example.

1990-2002 Extreme progressive metal
2003-2010 Progressive metal
2011- Progressive rock

It should just have the extreme prog tag, but it has them all.
23.03.2023 - 23:52
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by LeKiwi on 23.03.2023 at 23:46

Noticed that albums now have all of a given band's genre tags, so the periods of each tag don't apply: example.

1990-2002 Extreme progressive metal
2003-2010 Progressive metal
2011- Progressive rock

It should just have the extreme prog tag, but it has them all.

Yeah that‘s something I seem to have introduced at some point last week. I haven‘t had the time to look into the issue but as soon as I can, I will.
----