Metal Storm logo
Pink Floyd

Original post

Posted by Twilight, 17.05.2006 - 12:13
One of the most influential rock bands that have ever existed, in my opinion!

Until their first album, The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, led by Syd Barrett.
From there on having David Gilmour on the guitar, together with Roger Waters composing the music for Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here and Animals.
Roger Waters composed The Wall and The Final Cut almost completely by himself. And after that he left the band.
Pink Floyd produced 2 more albums after The Final Cut.

They have performed recently on the Live8 festival, and they're touring again. Unfortunately, I'm not going to see them here in Holland. I don't know if Roger Waters is touring with them now or if it's just him and other band members.

I wonder what you all think of this band. What album you like best and what period you prefer (With Syd or with Roger Waters)?

But wether you like this band or not, they truly have had a damn lot of influence on the music of today.
24.01.2012 - 16:08
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.01.2012 at 16:02

Written by K✞ulu on 24.01.2012 at 09:23
then it was deleted again and blacklisted because it is apparently "progressive psychedelic pop/rock:" http://metalstorm.net/bands/band_suggestions.php?suggested_search=pink+floyd

The reason is far more coherent than that. Simply put: While they might have been a huge influence in certain bands... Pink Floyd aren't related to metal AT ALL.

(I think) There's many rock bands here not related to metal... Just saying...
24.01.2012 - 16:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by [user id=114505] on 24.01.2012 at 16:08
(I think) There's many rock bands here not related to metal... Just saying...

Well, you are welcome to take those questions with the staff I see bands like let's say... Rush, Porcupine Tree, Led Zeppelin to be more metakl-related than Pink Floyd.

Written by K✞ulu on 24.01.2012 at 16:04

Certainly, they are related to metal as a huge influence to many metal bands, but their sound is indeed softer than, say, Rush, who are featured on Metal Storm under Progressive Rock.

Exactly... Although I still consider some songs to be heavy but not in the traditional meaning of that word.
Nevertheless... Wonderful band.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.01.2012 - 16:10
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 24.01.2012 at 09:23

Written by [user id=114505] on 24.01.2012 at 02:54

Hey, Pink Floyd wasn't featured here before? What hapenned?

well, it was not featured, then it WAS featured... then it was deleted again and blacklisted because it is apparently "progressive psychedelic pop/rock:" http://metalstorm.net/bands/band_suggestions.php?suggested_search=pink+floyd

"Satan was a backstreet boy"...
24.01.2012 - 16:16
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.01.2012 at 16:10

Well, you are welcome to take those questions with the staff I see bands like let's say... Rush, Porcupine Tree, Led Zeppelin to be more metakl-related than Pink Floyd.

Maybe you misunderstand me. I am not asking for pink floyd to be here, neither comparing them to other bands. I don't care if they are featured or not.
24.01.2012 - 16:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by [user id=114505] on 24.01.2012 at 16:16

Maybe you misunderstand me. I am not asking for pink floyd to be here, neither comparing them to other bands. I don't care if they are featured or not.

Not really... There's nothing to missunderstand in your comment as I was just giving my opinion in the sentence I quoted.
----
Rod, let me love you.
24.01.2012 - 16:22
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.01.2012 at 16:18

Written by [user id=114505] on 24.01.2012 at 16:16

Not really... There's nothing to missunderstand in your comment as I was just giving my opinion in the sentence I quoted.

Oh, sorry sir.
28.01.2012 - 21:59
Slayerus23
Account deleted
This band might be my biggest influence of all time when I reach my guitar and start solo-ing. There's something on their music that shivers down my spine.
08.02.2012 - 01:22
AndMetalForAll
kual21
In my opinion Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin are the two biggest bands in history..they were so influential. As far as Pink Floyd is concerned they invented the progressive music, alongside Rush for example..Certainly an inspiration for any rock or metal band around the world. Pink Floyd invented the progressive and Led Zeppelin are the "grandpas" of metal and rock music of the 70's and 80's!!
----
greets,
kual21
15.02.2012 - 17:10
Sorry if this has been covered and I'm merely adding repetition, but I struggle to think of a band that has had more influence on 'modern rock'.

Floyd's influence ranges far and wide, not just for the music...but for the technical aspects, the recordings, the artwork, the business acumen, the live shows...so much!

I guess I wonder what band around at the moment could cause such a massive stir in shaping the future of 'rock'...
Will we be blighted by bands sounding like Coldplay!?
*shudders*
----
www.enochiantheory.co.uk
15.02.2012 - 23:02
Sonic MrSumo
I saw Roger Waters do The Wall last night...one of the best gigs I've ever been to. The sound was flawless, and the visuals were HUGE!

If he's touring near you, go and see it!
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
06.07.2014 - 23:51
bj_waters
So I guess there have been some rumors going around about a new album:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pink-floyd-endless-river-details/

At first, i just thought they were rumors, but this is starting to look a little serious. Apparently, Rick Wright recorded some ambient stuff during the Division Bell recordings that Gilmour and Mason have been working with, I guess. I don't know if Pink Floyd really needs a new album, as I was happy with how things were left after Division Bell and Pulse, but that's just me. I'm sure many of you will have equally mixed feelings.
07.07.2014 - 00:14
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
After all these years, a new album?
They're probably gonna go alternative rock to sound "modern"
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
07.07.2014 - 05:50
bj_waters
Written by Karlabos on 07.07.2014 at 00:14

After all these years, a new album?
They're probably gonna go alternative rock to sound "modern"

If you take a look at the article I linked, you'll see that I highly doubt that. They're basing it on some old, ambient stuff Rick Wright recorded, with Nick Mason comparing it to stuff like Orb. I imagine it will come out sounding quite a bit like the instrumental tracks on Division Bell (like "Marooned").
07.07.2014 - 08:44
no one
Account deleted
I reckon they would do some good shoegaze
07.07.2014 - 13:45
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I never saw Pink Floyd as a band that wanted to please the audience by sounding modern. I doubt they will start now.
----
Rod, let me love you.
07.07.2014 - 14:50
angel.
Evil Butterfly
A new album ? without the founders and their influential members ? Then I really think that wouldn't be Pink Floyd album.
That will be Gilmour's music.
----
The Fangirl.
07.07.2014 - 15:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by angel. on 07.07.2014 at 14:50

A new album ? without the founders and their influential members ? Then I really think that wouldn't be Pink Floyd album.
That will be Gilmour's music.

Nick Mason is a founding member.
And Gilmour has been part of the band since after the debut album and has Always been very influential.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.07.2014 - 15:16
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.07.2014 at 15:03

Nick Mason is a founding member.
And Gilmour has been part of the band since after the debut album and has Always been very influential.

well if you ask me Roger Waters is the most important part of PinkFloyd after Syd Barret,

Richard Wright was also an important songwriter of Pink Floyd
----
The Fangirl.
25.07.2014 - 08:46
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I very much dislike Pink Floyd and I'm dreading the release of this album because it's going to be everywhere and get 11/10 ratings regardless of quality.

Syd Barrett is cool tho.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.07.2014 - 08:59
no one
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 25.07.2014 at 08:46

I very much dislike Pink Floyd and I'm dreading the release of this album because it's going to be everywhere

+1
25.07.2014 - 10:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Yeah I also think a lot about albums of bands I hate...
----
Rod, let me love you.
25.07.2014 - 10:46
no one
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 25.07.2014 at 10:11

Yeah I also think a lot about albums of bands I hate...

well you shouldn't, it's bad for your health
25.07.2014 - 14:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I can't wait, at least just to hear what they manage to come up with. I've been reading up on what it's "supposed" to sound like but then again the final product is never the same as what they tell you it'll be. Worst-case scenario it's a piece of garbage that everyone hates on for a couple years until it's forgotten by the majority of people and only mockingly referred to in future conversations about the band, best-case scenario they manage to top their classics. I'm thinking it'll land somewhere in between and I'll be a happy camper.

How the hell can anyone hate Pink Floyd?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.07.2014 - 15:46
Ilham
Giant robot
A friend of a friend said he read somewhere that it's going to sound like Animals. I wouldn't trust the guy with a bus ticket, and I can't imagine them go back to that, but I'd love it to be a second Animals.
25.07.2014 - 16:05
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.07.2014 at 14:43

Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.07.2014 at 09:12

How the hell can anyone hate Pink Floyd?

Like, I get that they're extremely influential and yada yada, but to me it's just boring. Tracks plod along for way too long, and it just ends up way too Tiring. "Money" is a great example of this. I don't hate them, I just don't see the fuss behind them.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.07.2014 - 16:15
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Boxcar Willy on 25.07.2014 at 16:05

Like, I get that they're extremely influential and yada yada, but to me it's just boring. Tracks plod along for way too long, and it just ends up way too Tiring. "Money" is a great example of this. I don't hate them, I just don't see the fuss behind them.

From what I gather from the forum, you like shoegaze/blackgaze/post-rock and stuff. If you don't find that boring, I can't understand how you can find Floyd boring.
25.07.2014 - 16:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I can't change your opinion obviously but if you think Pink Floyd suffers from plodding then I'm not sure what you look for in music. Granted "The Wall" comes off as a little too self-aggrandizing and takes itself too seriously at times which borders on feeling pretentious but even then... plodding isn't an accurate description of what Pink Floyd do.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.07.2014 - 16:19
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Ilham on 25.07.2014 at 16:15

Written by Boxcar Willy on 25.07.2014 at 16:05

From what I gather from the forum, you like shoegaze/blackgaze/post-rock and stuff. If you don't find that boring, I can't understand how you can find Floyd boring.

I listen to everything from Anal Cunt to Blondie

Different styles, PF doesn't exactly build up a swirling atmosphere to justify their song lengths, like post/SHOEGAZE bands can do.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.07.2014 - 16:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Boxcar Willy on 25.07.2014 at 16:19
swirling atmosphere

Not to get too off-topic here, but what does that even mean?
----
25.07.2014 - 16:27
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.07.2014 at 16:21

Written by Boxcar Willy on 25.07.2014 at 16:19
swirling atmosphere

Not to get too off-topic here, but what does that even mean?

Have you ever listened to the classic shoegaze bands? The songs feel like they're swirling around you. Check this Ride song out for example,

EDIT: oops, I wrote post in my first comment when I meant shoegaze. I can see the confusion now,
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS