Metal Storm logo
Nu Metal bands you like

Original post

Posted by +{Jonas}+, 16.03.2007 - 01:51
So, the title says it all. I made this so the ones here that like nu metal can discuss about the bands we like. So about me, I like:

Godsmack (Although for me it's Alternative), because their songs are really cool, and they have great lyrics and the "Changes" DVD is simply awesome, and theitr drums are great. Sully's voice is quite unique, and their lyrics are pretty nice.

Slipknot, because of their energy, the outfits look great, and their lyrics make me laugh, besides their live shows are quite impressive. Also Vol. 3 is a change, IMO they found that they don't have to scream for everything, and they prove it with a great accoustic song.

Disturbed: David's voice is great. and with their thrid album,. 10.000 fists" they try a new, more melodic sound. besides Dan Donegan proves himself as a great guitar player

KoRn: But only the first albums.

Evanescence, because Amy lee has a great voice, but their last album, "The Open Door" was a big letdown for me.

Also Adema, TrustCompany, Breaking Benjamin, Linkin Park, Chevelle, Mudvayne, Soil and I enjoy Metallica's St. Anger.

So that's it. If you have band suggestions you can and must post them as well. If you don't like Nu metal, please don't post bashing bands and attacking with things like "X band sucks" or "Nu metal sucks". Please, let's have some respect for the other fellow MSers taste.
28.02.2009 - 19:31
ForeverDarkWoods
Nu metal is a plague. The only nu metal I can stand is System Of A Down, and a lot of people don't even want to call them nu metal. The music's just got nothiong interesting in it whatsoever IMO. To me, nu metal isn't even metal at all, but a crappy form of heavy commercial modern rock that sometimes borrows some elements from real metal. I don't even want to acknowledge it's metal validity by calling it nu metal. The term 'mallcore', adopted by Metal Archives among others is much better since it has the name of metal removed from it.

Now, mallcore as I choose to call it is utter garbage. Mallcore is an enemy of good metal, and with any luck we could hope it dies off soon, since the nearly equally annoying metalcore genre seems to have become the new trend.

I'd trust Uncle Sam on this one.....
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
28.02.2009 - 19:48
Galar
Wicked Mung
Hail uncle sam! He's never wrong.
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
01.03.2009 - 04:05
thesabbathfan
Only nu band i like Disturbed, and the only reason I'd actually consider them to be nu metal is because of the guitars tone. but other than that, great band.

if the guitar tone was a little more metal, I'd have pride in calling them a traditional style heavy metal band.
----
01.03.2009 - 06:20
jd-inflames
Account deleted
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 28.02.2009 at 19:31

I'd trust Uncle Sam on this one.....

That is win right there.
06.04.2009 - 01:28
Crimson Lily
Account deleted
Great topic! Nice to see so many nu-metal lovers. I can see there are also some haters but oh well. Anyways. Nu metal was one of the first metal genres I listened too and I still like many bands. So, what bands I love and why:
First of all, it's obvious Evanescence are one of my favorite bands, but I won't mention them here (I have no idea why so many people did) since I don't think they count as nu-metal. Amy Lee describes the band best when she says it's dark rock, I think. Now, for the nu-metal bands I luv:

1) Korn (because they were one of the first metal bands I listened to, because I love every and each album, the songs and lyrics are plain perfection IMO period)

2) Papa Roach (because they have great songs and and great, honest lyrics)

3) System Of A Down, if they count :/ (cos they're a band who's got something to say, also great songs & lyrics methinks)

4) Linkin Park (they've also got awesome songs and lyrics, yes I have heard and read them all and I still think they do, but I agree with what someone said, the Jay-Z thing was awful)

5) Slipknot (again, amazing songs, great and beautiful lyrics, great instrumentation, Corey's beautiful voice)

And I'd also add Vex Red, but Wikipedia says they're more like hard rock :/ so I won't, but they are one of my favorite bands.
Well, those are my absolute favorite ones, there are others I like but can't really think of now, it's late here Well, if I remember any more I may just post here again btw, love the Uncle Sam poster
06.04.2009 - 08:32
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Galar on 28.02.2009 at 05:55

Nu-Metal is a disgrace to metal and it often makes me embarrassed to be "catogorized" in the same group of people. I realllly can't stand that crap, and there is nothing good that comes out of that so called "genre" of music.

So... everything sucks in nu-metal... there is no trace of good music anywhere? Never was, never will be? Why is that?
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
06.04.2009 - 14:30
Lord_Regnier

Nu-Metal is a disgrace to metal and it often makes me embarrassed to be "catogorized" in the same group of people. I realllly can't stand that crap, and there is nothing good that comes out of that so called "genre" of music.

I agree 100%. Personally, I'm what you could call a metal purist and I can't stand anything that could be labeled as 'modern metal'. It's not even metal from my point of view but bullshit for teens or false metal from people who are into commercial fucked up music. I hate that crap and I hope all 'modern metal' will die soon, it doesn't deserve to exist.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
06.04.2009 - 19:20
DayFly
Written by Lord_Regnier on 06.04.2009 at 14:30

I agree 100%. Personally, I'm what you could call a metal purist and I can't stand anything that could be labeled as 'modern metal'. It's not even metal from my point of view but bullshit for teens or false metal from people who are into commercial fucked up music. I hate that crap and I hope all 'modern metal' will die soon, it doesn't deserve to exist.

You know, considering your attitude I sometimes have a hard time to believe you are actually 36.
06.04.2009 - 20:37
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by DayFly on 06.04.2009 at 19:20

Written by Lord_Regnier on 06.04.2009 at 14:30

You know, considering your attitude I sometimes have a hard time to believe you are actually 36.

Second that
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
07.04.2009 - 03:11
Lord_Regnier
I'm the kind of person who really enjoy what fits my tastes but pretty much hate everything else. That's all.

Also, I don't think open-mindedness to things I consider as plain bad is necessary a quality.

Anyway, I gave my opinion on nu-metal and all we could call 'modern metal' to be honest about it. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut and kept my opinion for myself.

Sorry if I offended a few people, it wasn't my goal. I'm a bit too direct in my comments sometimes.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
07.04.2009 - 03:31
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Lord_Regnier on 07.04.2009 at 03:11

I'm the kind of person who really enjoy what fits my tastes but pretty much hate everything else. That's all.

Also, I don't think open-mindedness to things I consider as plain bad is necessary a quality.

Anyway, I gave my opinion on nu-metal and all we could call 'modern metal' to be honest about it. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut and kept my opinion for myself.

Given the topic name, yes you should have.

Anyway, back to topic.

I've been listening Adema's "Planets" and "Kill the Headlights" and they're really good albums, not so stereoypical, whiny and so on. Teh vocalist change really helped this band improve.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
07.04.2009 - 09:56
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 07.04.2009 at 03:31

I've been listening Adema's "Planets" and "Kill the Headlights" and they're really good albums, not so stereoypical, whiny and so on. Teh vocalist change really helped this band improve.

Planets is an exellent album... Planets (the track) is one of the most beautiful songs in nu-metal, even better than Stone Sour's ''Zzyxz Rd.''. I still got to hear ''Kill the headlights'', but I imagine that is not much different from Planets.

The new vocalist is very good, he is completly different from the previous vocals, but we can still feel that it IS Adema. It was a good renewed for the band.
----

----
07.04.2009 - 12:42
DayFly
Written by Lord_Regnier on 07.04.2009 at 03:11

Sorry if I offended a few people, it wasn't my goal. I'm a bit too direct in my comments sometimes.

Yeah right. Honestly, all you seem to do is go around and say that certain genres suck. I could usually care less, but you are so stubborn about it that it gets obnoxious. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but you don't have to be vocal about it, especially in the context where you usually post. If you have to shit on certain bands/genres at least do it with a bit of humor if you don't want to come off as a lonely grinch that hasn't been doing anything but hating music for the last 10 years.

@topic I really like Kid Rock, if he counts. I am not sure if he was part of the scene but Devil Without A Cause was nu I guess and absolutely great.
07.04.2009 - 16:04
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Uirapuru on 07.04.2009 at 09:56

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 07.04.2009 at 03:31

Planets is an exellent album... Planets (the track) is one of the most beautiful songs in nu-metal, even better than Stone Sour's ''Zzyxz Rd.''. I still got to hear ''Kill the headlights'', but I imagine that is not much different from Planets.

The new vocalist is very good, he is completly different from the previous vocals, but we can still feel that it IS Adema. It was a good renewed for the band.

Yes, it's really great. Vikraphone is an amazing song too. Kill teh headlights is indeed similar, but I'd say overall more solid. Exactly, he's a great vocalist and brought a whole new athmosphere to teh band not so whiny and traumatized as Chavez, but more agressive and "energetic", and it's still Adema. A friend used to mock me 'cause I like this band, until he heard this 2 albums and he stopped doing it 'cause he liked 'em too!
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
07.04.2009 - 17:25
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Just listened Adema's ''Kill the headlights'' and there was something that I didn't know (and took me some time to notice it)... the vocalist is different from the one of ''Planets''. o.O'.

Luke Caraccioli sings in Planets and this last album has the voice of Bobby Reeves... whata hell??!! The voice of these guys is almost the same. If a friend doesn't told me I would never notice that xD. His voice is like a mixture of the two previous vocalists, fits perfectly with the band.

About the album, ''Kill the hightlights'' is good, clearly a mature sound, and a little heavier than the previous. It has some great songs like ''Invisible'', ''All these years'' and my favorite ''The Loser'' (like myself ). But if I had to choose just one album to hear between ''KtH'' and ''Planets'', i would choose Planets... it has the kind of ballads that I seek when I listen to nu-metal bands.
----

----
08.04.2009 - 01:05
Vunts
Wow...Adema is still going on. I used to like them a lot quite some years back, but then I sort of transferred on and forgot about them...Seems it was a wrong decision I will try and pick up the new stuff overnight.
08.04.2009 - 01:57
Crimson Lily
Account deleted
Yes, I forgot Adema. Well, I can't say they're my favorite band, because I've only heard a couple of songs, but they seem like a really cool band. I'll listen to some other songs and then decide whether they're worth buying

And btw, isn't the lead singer in some relation with Korn's Jonathan Davis? I think he's his half-brother but I'm not sure.
08.04.2009 - 03:10
Vunts
I believe that their first vocalist was Jonathan's something. This is based on the fact that I knew this years ago, but I found out about new singers just today.
It also was a good explanation as to why their sound was similar to Korn's.
08.04.2009 - 09:29
Crimson Lily
Account deleted
Written by Vunts on 08.04.2009 at 03:10

I believe that their first vocalist was Jonathan's something. This is based on the fact that I knew this years ago, but I found out about new singers just today.
It also was a good explanation as to why their sound was similar to Korn's.

Yeah I thought so...if I remember right, he's his half-brother.
They have a new singer huh? I didn't know that. Gotta check that out, for sure. Btw do you know by any chance, why the former vocalist left? I'll try and find why somewhere. Listening to ''Rip The Heart Out Of Me'' right now and I'm loving it.
08.04.2009 - 11:37
Vunts
Me, no I don't know But someone that has kept up to date on their progress over the years might be able to answer that!
08.04.2009 - 17:39
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Vunts on 08.04.2009 at 11:37

Me, no I don't know But someone that has kept up to date on their progress over the years might be able to answer that!

Right here

Stupid fights as usual... and drugs of course...
----

----
08.04.2009 - 23:06
Crimson Lily
Account deleted
Written by Uirapuru on 08.04.2009 at 17:39

Written by Vunts on 08.04.2009 at 11:37

Right here

Stupid fights as usual... and drugs of course...

Thank you for posting that, thank you very much. It's all very interesting and sad....but oh well, such is life I guess
29.04.2009 - 02:44
Wyrd
Nu-Metal like the the friend that no one likes. The one that wont Fuck off!!!
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
29.04.2009 - 12:40
brapp32
I guess you misread what this thread was about. It's not about if you like nu-metal or not. It's about nu-metal bands you like. If you don't like any nu-metal bands you shouldn't be here.
29.04.2009 - 17:18
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
I like some Bizkit's songs I dont know if it is a nu metal or not! what is Nu-Metal?
29.04.2009 - 21:32
brapp32
You are a brave man to tell people on here that you like the bizkit. I still like a song here or there by them. If you really aren't familiar with a lot of nu-metal look at my profile. I got a shit load of nu-metal bands listed as my favorites.
30.04.2009 - 04:12
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
I think a lot of people do not realize what a unique, original and creative band the Deftones are... Personally, I stopped worrying about genres ages ago and simply consider them to be a great band, but it there is any reason to give 'nu metal' a chance, hearing and appreciating their stuff would be it...

Korn is one of the most important bands of the 90s. They created a genre, for better or worse. I remember the time when the term nu metal didnt exist and people were confused as to what to call them. Alternative metal, even death metal was used to describe them. It is supremely stupid to hate a band on the basis that sub-par followers made mediocre music. I will always consider the first 2 Korn albums to be some of the best metal recorded.
30.04.2009 - 07:30
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by brapp32 on 29.04.2009 at 12:40

I guess you misread what this thread was about. It's not about if you like nu-metal or not. It's about nu-metal bands you like. If you don't like any nu-metal bands you shouldn't be here.

just ignore him. he's some new to the site guy trying to flex his "metal cred" by bashing anything that it is "cool" to dislike. (see also the "Lordi vs. Slipknot Mask" thread in the arena)...

i don't particularly care for nu-metal at all - but i don't horribly dislike it, either. some bands are better than the mindless trash that try to copy them... just like pretty much every other genre out there. i just pop by from time to time to read any entertaining posts railing against the genre... i guess i miss activity on the "why do people hate alternative metal" thread.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
30.04.2009 - 20:53
Vunts
Written by brapp32 on 29.04.2009 at 21:32

You are a brave man to tell people on here that you like the bizkit.

Hehhe. What's so bad about that? Bizkit by now classifies as an old school band as well. The scene kiddies don't even know they existed, and their fanbase mainly consists of people who grew up during the late 90s and mainly shifted away from that type of music at some point or another (my personal observation, so the "mainly" is not entirely accurate). I have been thinking what a definitive nu metal song would be. Y'know, something that I could make someone listen and say "THAT is how nu metal is at it's truest form" and I cannot find anything more enjoyable, catchy, hip hop and guitar influenced, in other words - definitive of nu metal - than Rollin. That song...it might be too much to say that it's my favourite song (because it's not), but the production and creation of that song is just...unspeakable. It WILL stick to you if you listened to it once. Sure, it depends whether it will haunt you like a bad cartoon theme song, or you'd just keep humming it because it's good, but to me, that song is a pure classic of nu metal.
30.04.2009 - 21:46
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Vunts on 30.04.2009 at 20:53

Written by brapp32 on 29.04.2009 at 21:32

You are a brave man to tell people on here that you like the bizkit.

Hehhe. What's so bad about that? Bizkit by now classifies as an old school band as well. The scene kiddies don't even know they existed, and their fanbase mainly consists of people who grew up during the late 90s and mainly shifted away from that type of music at some point or another (my personal observation, so the "mainly" is not entirely accurate). I have been thinking what a definitive nu metal song would be. Y'know, something that I could make someone listen and say "THAT is how nu metal is at it's truest form" and I cannot find anything more enjoyable, catchy, hip hop and guitar influenced, in other words - definitive of nu metal - than Rollin. That song...it might be too much to say that it's my favourite song (because it's not), but the production and creation of that song is just...unspeakable. It WILL stick to you if you listened to it once. Sure, it depends whether it will haunt you like a bad cartoon theme song, or you'd just keep humming it because it's good, but to me, that song is a pure classic of nu metal.

Absolutely true^.. Limp Bizkit is one the rare bands which is original Rap Metal. I known this band when their Rollin was on top10.. Around 2000 it was. I really liked the song. I still enjoy the song after these years..
I think not only it's not bullshit, but it's the ability of Fred Durst and his band to perform Pop, Rap, Hip Hop, Metal, Rock on an album..