Metal Storm logo
Pink Floyd

Original post

Posted by Twilight, 17.05.2006 - 12:13
One of the most influential rock bands that have ever existed, in my opinion!

Until their first album, The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, led by Syd Barrett.
From there on having David Gilmour on the guitar, together with Roger Waters composing the music for Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here and Animals.
Roger Waters composed The Wall and The Final Cut almost completely by himself. And after that he left the band.
Pink Floyd produced 2 more albums after The Final Cut.

They have performed recently on the Live8 festival, and they're touring again. Unfortunately, I'm not going to see them here in Holland. I don't know if Roger Waters is touring with them now or if it's just him and other band members.

I wonder what you all think of this band. What album you like best and what period you prefer (With Syd or with Roger Waters)?

But wether you like this band or not, they truly have had a damn lot of influence on the music of today.
15.05.2020 - 22:19
TERÄSMESTARI
Steelemeister
I'm going on a re-listen of all their albums and drop the comments on here, because the band is not featured on the site.

Starting off with the The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn :
This is a weird and trippy album. Syd Barrett must have been either real stoned or had very much lost his marbles when this music was composed. While I see the album relatively interesting and it does have lots of uniqueness and artistic value, I don't find it very good as music. It's likely my least favourite of PF albums when compared to each other. Also the non-US release is missing the song "See Emily Play" which I think is the most worth checking out from this albums era. Well, I can't say it's essential listen, rather only for true fans and only hipsters can say this is the best Pink Floyd. Not recommended for multitude of listens from me.
----
My vision is augmented
15.05.2020 - 23:02
TERÄSMESTARI
Steelemeister
A Saucerful Of Secrets :
Not as weird or trippy as the first one, but it's still rather weird music. The songwriting is noticeably different -- except for the last song, of course -- compared to the debut, which points out that Syd was indeed the main creative factor on the first album. If the debut was more psychedelic, this is less, and more prog. As with the debut I don't think this album is one of their better albums, and one of my least favourite in the discography, still beating the debut though. "Remember A Day" and "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun" stand out, but I wouldn't quite consider them as best PF songs. Again, not an album for multiple listens, but "necessary" for true fans and hipsters will most likely say this is the second best PF.
----
My vision is augmented
15.05.2020 - 23:37
TERÄSMESTARI
Steelemeister
Ummagumma :
( Nothing to state about the live songs, I'll just write about the studio recordings ) Pretty much a filler album, I'm afraid. "The Narrow Way, Part III" is the only song I find worthwhile on here. I suppose the live songs can redeem some of the album's value if someone is looking to hear those. Not an essential album, IMO.
----
My vision is augmented
16.05.2020 - 01:10
JoHn Doe
Written by TERÄSMESTARI on 15.05.2020 at 23:37

Ummagumma :
( Nothing to state about the live songs, I'll just write about the studio recordings ) Pretty much a filler album, I'm afraid. "The Narrow Way, Part III" is the only song I find worthwhile on here. I suppose the live songs can redeem some of the album's value if someone is looking to hear those. Not an essential album, IMO.

The live album is essential Pink Floyd.
The studio album is more or less an acquired taste, I've always liked Wright's and Gilmour's pieces though.
Also there a re better live versions of Waters' Granchester Meadows (extra guitar and vocals from David improve the song).
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
16.05.2020 - 09:38
TERÄSMESTARI
Steelemeister
Written by JoHn Doe on 16.05.2020 at 01:10

Written by TERÄSMESTARI on 15.05.2020 at 23:37

Ummagumma :

The live album is essential Pink Floyd.

If looked as separate albums, live and studio, then yeah I would definitely consider the live one more essential. As whole the format seems awkward and IMO the albums would be better off as separate releases, or studio album placed before and live album after.
----
My vision is augmented
16.05.2020 - 09:56
TERÄSMESTARI
Steelemeister
Soundtrack From The Film "More" :
This is amazing album and kind of surprising how different it sounds to the earlier releases. I can imagine the early fans won't like it very much and say it's too mainstream music and that the band sold out. If we can look past the genres and just listen the music without comparing it to the psychedelic Pink Floyd, I think we all can see that this album definitely has plenty of great compositions in whatever genre it belongs to. "The Nile Song" and "Cymbaline" stand out most, but pretty much all the songs -- except "A Spanish Piece", which can go -- are worth checking out. Not quite my favourite album by the band, yet I see it as stronger a release than anything released before it.
----
My vision is augmented
16.05.2020 - 12:24
JoHn Doe
Written by TERÄSMESTARI on 16.05.2020 at 09:56

Soundtrack From The Film "More" :
This is amazing album and kind of surprising how different it sounds to the earlier releases. I can imagine the early fans won't like it very much and say it's too mainstream music and that the band sold out. If we can look past the genres and just listen the music without comparing it to the psychedelic Pink Floyd, I think we all can see that this album definitely has plenty of great compositions in whatever genre it belongs to. "The Nile Song" and "Cymbaline" stand out most, but pretty much all the songs -- except "A Spanish Piece", which can go -- are worth checking out. Not quite my favourite album by the band, yet I see it as stronger a release than anything released before it.

I don't think the fans of the band back then thought they were selling out. PF has always been a great live band and they played Green Is the Colour and Cymbaline for quite a while.

One of my favorite PF albums. I have also seen the movie (about drugs and addiction), which has bits and pieces of these songs, and a different order, which always made consider this not a simple soundtrack, but a real album.

I'm happy to see you explore Floyd like that, not just the famous albums (like so many unfortunately do).
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
16.05.2020 - 16:23
TERÄSMESTARI
Steelemeister
Atom Heart Mother :
The difference of the title track vs the other songs makes the album somewhat uneven. I mean, it's 23 minutes of this experimental stuff with weird sounds and other unusual material thrown into one song, and what follows is pretty typical acoustic guitar driven rock until the last song which is more psychedelic. I don't know where the band got this idea for these 20+ minutes songs nor have I investigated on it. In this title track's case it seems like going long for the lengths sake and the song doesn't really offer that many quality moments that would convince me enough to listen the song many times fully. Of these songs, the only really good is "Summer '68", so I'm not a huge advocate of this album. Numeric rating would probably be 5 or 6.
----
My vision is augmented
16.05.2020 - 16:30
JoHn Doe
Written by TERÄSMESTARI on 16.05.2020 at 16:23

Atom Heart Mother :
The difference of the title track vs the other songs makes the album somewhat uneven. I mean, it's 23 minutes of this experimental stuff with weird sounds and other unusual material thrown into one song, and what follows is pretty typical acoustic guitar driven rock until the last song which is more psychedelic. I don't know where the band got this idea for these 20+ minutes songs nor have I investigated on it. In this title track's case it seems like going long for the lengths sake and the song doesn't really offer that many quality moments that would convince me enough to listen the song many times fully. Of these songs, the only really good is "Summer '68", so I'm not a huge advocate of this album. Numeric rating would probably be 5 or 6.

Try listening to live versions of AHM, they're more strip down, sound a bit different, in a good way that is.
I'm surprised Gilmour's Fat Old Sun did nothing for you.

Try to listen to this if or when you have some time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWiOqclsTlE
----
16.05.2020 - 18:28
TERÄSMESTARI
Steelemeister
Written by JoHn Doe on 16.05.2020 at 16:30

I'm surprised Gilmour's Fat Old Sun did nothing for you.

That's the 2nd best song IMO, not sure why I didn't mentioned it initially with "Summer '68". "If" and "AHM" are average to me and "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast" is skippable.

Written by JoHn Doe on 16.05.2020 at 16:30

Try listening to live versions of AHM, they're more strip down, sound a bit different, in a good way that is.

Try to listen to this if or when you have some time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWiOqclsTlE

Alrighty, then. I have seen some of the lives by the band already but not this one nor other early ones.
----
My vision is augmented
17.05.2020 - 10:55
TERÄSMESTARI
Steelemeister
Meddle
I see a lot of people valuing this album very highly and even saying it's the best PF. And I can see what they mean, it's impressive music, all songs are rather good than not. The album is easily accessible with mostly these shorter and rather simplistic songs; probably due to this, I feel like listening to this album more than most of their other albums. It would be easy to say that "A Pillow of Winds" and "Fearless" are the greatest songs here, but I'm gonna go with "Echoes" instead, as this time around I think they got the 20+ minute thing better than last time, I do still skip a couple of minutes about the middle of the song where there isn't very much going with the instruments. I'd call this one as one of my favourite Pink Floyds but it's not yet their best IMO.
----
My vision is augmented
18.05.2020 - 13:09
TERÄSMESTARI
Steelemeister
Obscured By Clouds :
It's definitely good but it's hard to find this album as anything spectacular. Also it's hard to find any definite favorite songs from this album; I spend most of my listens for the album as whole, not playing the individual tracks by themselves, as there's no clear standout songs, except for maybe "Childhood's End" and "Free Four" have most potential for many listens. Well, like I wrote, it's nothing spectacular and gets sandwiched by two amazing albums.
----
My vision is augmented
18.05.2020 - 13:24
JoHn Doe
Written by TERÄSMESTARI on 18.05.2020 at 13:09

Obscured By Clouds :
It's definitely good but it's hard to find this album as anything spectacular. Also it's hard to find any definite favorite songs from this album; I spend most of my listens for the album as whole, not playing the individual tracks by themselves, as there's no clear standout songs, except for maybe "Childhood's End" and "Free Four" have most potential for many listens. Well, like I wrote, it's nothing spectacular and gets sandwiched by two amazing albums.

This is a soundtrack, too (apparently), for a film called "La Vallée". I've never seen this one.
I've always liked this album, the songs that stand out for me are Wot's... Uh The Deal . Burning Bridges & Mudmen and Stay.
It seems people either love or hate this one. Those who love it call it underrated Floyd, those who hate it call it under-developped. Oh well...
----
18.05.2020 - 14:30
TERÄSMESTARI
Steelemeister
Written by JoHn Doe on 18.05.2020 at 13:24

It seems people either love or hate this one. Those who love it call it underrated Floyd, those who hate it call it under-developped. Oh well...

I'll be an exception. In all ways I can imagine, to me, this is a "between" album if saying so makes any sense. I have no strong feeling about it to either polar opposites, it's sandwiched, it's not really low or really high in creativity, I see it as pretty average if rated as well.
----
My vision is augmented
18.05.2020 - 14:35
TERÄSMESTARI
Steelemeister
The Dark Side Of The Moon :
There's a lot hype for this album, but I do think the album is a master piece in its own right, not because what is being said about it by critics and media. Most of the songs here are pushing boundaries of Pink Floyd's sound that already was quite experiential. To me "Time", "Money" and "Us and Them" are in my top 10 Pink Floyd songs ever. With all these praising things being said, it is a bit surprising, even to myself, that this is still not my favorite PF album, I'd say it's the second best. Maybe at this point it's possible to figure out what that favorite album is, but if not, then I'm not gonna give it away just yet
----
My vision is augmented
02.06.2020 - 21:20
TERÄSMESTARI
Steelemeister
Wish You Were Here :
It's easy to write that this is a second masterpiece in a row. An again it's a masterpiece in its own right. I know the album is rather known and was well received, which doesn't automatically make it a great album, though, but I do agree with the majorly praising reviews the album has. As amazing as the Shine On You Crazy Diamond is, I still prefer the title track and Have A Cigar to it, and I think these two songs are the best PF songs ever written. No weak songs, all songs are brilliant, even the cover image is awesome. Maybe Syd worshippers will say it's only an average album and that band is going sellout again, going too mainstream. Well, I am not one of them, hence I like it, and it's one of my favourite albums ever.
----
My vision is augmented
10.06.2020 - 03:25
bj_waters
I actually think Wish You Were Here is their best album. Beautiful, powerful tunes that establish a great mood from the beginning and explore that mood all throughout the album.
25.09.2021 - 20:45
TERÄSMESTARI
Steelemeister
Written by bj_waters on 10.06.2020 at 03:25

I actually think Wish You Were Here is their best album. Beautiful, powerful tunes that establish a great mood from the beginning and explore that mood all throughout the album.

Yes and Dark Side is almost as good for me, other albums not quite on the same level as these.
----
My vision is augmented
25.09.2021 - 21:29
TERÄSMESTARI
Steelemeister
Animals :
Long songs format this time, and not necessarily the best approach available. I listened to it a few times and the only song that really stands out as something great is Pigs (Three Different Ones). Hence I don't see it as good as the two preceding albums, but I can understand why people like it; it's good prog, not the best, but good nevertheless and there is always time for some good albums. If I put it in numbers I'd say it's 7/10, hence not quite one of their best for me.
----
My vision is augmented
25.09.2021 - 21:41
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by TERÄSMESTARI on 25.09.2021 at 21:29

Animals :
Long songs format this time, and not necessarily the best approach available. I listened to it a few times and the only song that really stands out as something great is Pigs (Three Different Ones). Hence I don't see it as good as the two preceding albums, but I can understand why people like it; it's good prog, not the best, but good nevertheless and there is always time for some good albums. If I put it in numbers I'd say it's 7/10, hence not quite one of their best for me.

I like the song "Dogs" from that album.
25.09.2021 - 22:28
Redel
The last time I spun a Pink Floyd album must have been in the previous millenium.
All I recall right now is:
Dark Side, Wish you were here, The Wall... They are the classics, sure, great albums, milestones in music, I enjoyed them.
But if I recall correctly there was another PF album that I liked somewhat more back at the time when I used to spin these albums more often.
And that one was The Division Bell.
That said, I have to admit that the ones mentioned are most probably the only PF albums I have ever approached.
So I am thinking right now, maybe soon will come a good time to dive into their entire discography.
25.09.2021 - 23:13
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by Redel on 25.09.2021 at 22:28

The last time I spun a Pink Floyd album must have been in the previous millenium.
All I recall right now is:
Dark Side, Wish you were here, The Wall... They are the classics, sure, great albums, milestones in music, I enjoyed them.
But if I recall correctly there was another PF album that I liked somewhat more back at the time when I used to spin these albums more often.
And that one was The Division Bell.
That said, I have to admit that the ones mentioned are most probably the only PF albums I have ever approached.
So I am thinking right now, maybe soon will come a good time to dive into their entire discography.

I always found Division Bell underrated, and "High Hopes" was a classic song from that album, and the live album The Pulse is my favourite live album of all time.
25.09.2021 - 23:37
Redel
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 25.09.2021 at 23:13

I always found Division Bell underrated, and "High Hopes" was a classic song from that album, and the live album The Pulse is my favourite live album of all time.

Ok, so you made me take down my copy of the album from the shelve now.
Back in the 90s, I used to write down how much I like each song of an album on a piece of paper that I would put into the album's hard cover. And they are all still there.
On the paper in The Division Bell it says:
High Hopes (masterpiece), Lost for Words (excellent), A Great Day for Freedom (excellent), Poles Apart, Marooned (very, very good).
I should respin this album soon....
27.09.2021 - 09:34
TERÄSMESTARI
Steelemeister
The Wall :
a Long album with some really notable songs. Another Brick in the Wall parts 1--3 are of course brilliant songs, Comfortably Numb is held as a kind of a hit song -- I don't think it's as good as people generally say but still a great song, The Thin Ice is a great song, and I could go on with at least couple of more songs; I think there's definitelly enough material for a masterpiece on this album. With its massive length, however, there are a few songs too that aren't as essential, which lowers my opinion.

8/10 for me.
----
My vision is augmented
27.09.2021 - 17:35
TERÄSMESTARI
Steelemeister
The Final Cut :
A disappointment in one way or another; whether it's the musical direction or the quality of the songwriting, it's not a super impressive album. Maybe one could argue that the mood on the album is something special, and yes, I would agree. Two songs stand out as Roger Waters masterpieces: Your Possible Pasts and The Gunner's Dream. Rest of the album is pretty enjoyable, but I can easily find something better to listen instead.

6/10 for me.
----
My vision is augmented
27.09.2021 - 17:47
JoHn Doe
Written by TERÄSMESTARI on 27.09.2021 at 17:35

The Final Cut :
A disappointment in one way or another; whether it's the musical direction or the quality of the songwriting, it's not a super impressive album. Maybe one could argue that the mood on the album is something special, and yes, I would agree. Two songs stand out as Roger Waters masterpieces: Your Possible Pasts and The Gunner's Dream. Rest of the album is pretty enjoyable, but I can easily find something better to listen instead.

6/10 for me.

This is more or less a Roger Waters solo album, it broke the band apart. Wright had already left after the last tour, during which he was paid as a live musician, joke is he was the only one to make money on that costly tour.
Gilmour and Waters relationship deteriorated to the point of this album breaking the band part. Nick Mason left during the recording of the album. There is a session drummer on a couple of songs.

I like this album, I overplayed it, I rarely listen to it these days.
The song Southampton Docks break the flow of the album, Also the song When The Tigers Broke Free, added later on remasters of the album.
----
27.09.2021 - 18:24
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by TERÄSMESTARI on 27.09.2021 at 09:34

The Wall :
a Long album with some really notable songs. Another Brick in the Wall parts 1--3 are of course brilliant songs, Comfortably Numb is held as a kind of a hit song -- I don't think it's as good as people generally say but still a great song, The Thin Ice is a great song, and I could go on with at least couple of more songs; I think there's definitelly enough material for a masterpiece on this album. With its massive length, however, there are a few songs too that aren't as essential, which lowers my opinion.

8/10 for me.

As a concept album The Wall is fantastic, I found the storyline very intresting and moving, but I've heard it a handful of times now, so don't have the desire to listen through it all again, as for individual tracks, Hey You, Comfortably Numb, Another Brick In The Wall (all 3 parts), Run Like Hell, The Thin Ice and Mother are the only one's I find myself enjoying, and Comfably Numb is much better live, especially the live Pulse version, that solo at the end is one of the best guitar solo's I've ever heard.
14.11.2021 - 10:17
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Here is my PF album ranking (though some of these albums I haven't listened to in quite some time):
1. Wish You Were Here
2. Dark Side Of The Moon
3. Meddle
4. Atom Heart Mother
5. A Saucerful Of Secrets
6. A Momentary Lapse Of Reason
7. Animals
8. Ummagumma
9. The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
10. The Wall
11. The Division Bell
12. More
13. Obscured By Clouds
14. The Endless River
15. The Final Cut
From what I've seen online my opinions are a bit controversial, feel free to criticize
14.11.2021 - 10:24
JoHn Doe
Written by Roman Doez on 14.11.2021 at 10:17

Here is my PF album ranking (though some of these albums I haven't listened to in quite some time):
1. Wish You Were Here
2. Dark Side Of The Moon
3. Meddle
4. Atom Heart Mother
5. A Saucerful Of Secrets
6. A Momentary Lapse Of Reason
7. Animals
8. Ummagumma
9. The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
10. The Wall
11. The Division Bell
12. More
13. Obscured By Clouds
14. The Endless River
15. The Final Cut
From what I've seen online my opinions are a bit controversial, feel free to criticize

I wouldn't say controversial at all.
AMLOR is too high, Obscured by Clouds and More I would pit higher up there.
Ummagumma studio album makes me drop it a bit to the bottom. Ummagumma live is one of my favorite albums though, hard to place it,

Also AMLOR ahead of Animals? Dogs and Sheep are better than anything on AMLOR and I even dare say any songs they released after 1977, but that's just my opinion.
----
14.11.2021 - 10:45
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by JoHn Doe on 14.11.2021 at 10:24

Also AMLOR ahead of Animals? Dogs and Sheep are better than anything on AMLOR and I even dare say any songs they released after 1977, but that's just my opinion.

That's where the "controversial" part kicks in. Animals has some very high highs but also can get very boring at times, while AMLOR is an all around pretty consistently cool album although it doesn't nearly reach the highs of previous PF albums. But overall I still like AMLOR more.