Metal Storm logo
Nu Metal bands you like

Original post

Posted by +{Jonas}+, 16.03.2007 - 01:51
So, the title says it all. I made this so the ones here that like nu metal can discuss about the bands we like. So about me, I like:

Godsmack (Although for me it's Alternative), because their songs are really cool, and they have great lyrics and the "Changes" DVD is simply awesome, and theitr drums are great. Sully's voice is quite unique, and their lyrics are pretty nice.

Slipknot, because of their energy, the outfits look great, and their lyrics make me laugh, besides their live shows are quite impressive. Also Vol. 3 is a change, IMO they found that they don't have to scream for everything, and they prove it with a great accoustic song.

Disturbed: David's voice is great. and with their thrid album,. 10.000 fists" they try a new, more melodic sound. besides Dan Donegan proves himself as a great guitar player

KoRn: But only the first albums.

Evanescence, because Amy lee has a great voice, but their last album, "The Open Door" was a big letdown for me.

Also Adema, TrustCompany, Breaking Benjamin, Linkin Park, Chevelle, Mudvayne, Soil and I enjoy Metallica's St. Anger.

So that's it. If you have band suggestions you can and must post them as well. If you don't like Nu metal, please don't post bashing bands and attacking with things like "X band sucks" or "Nu metal sucks". Please, let's have some respect for the other fellow MSers taste.
01.05.2009 - 01:00
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
You guys are joking right? Limp Bizkit never was and never will be a band of any artistic worth. Not a single thing they did is original. And this coming from someone who really has nothing against nu metal, btw. Some nu metal is great but Limp Bizkit was always an embarrasment and perhaps the number one reason why the genre is still hated today...
01.05.2009 - 02:10
Vunts
I'm really not joking. They might not have been the most original band of the genre, but they have the strongest characteristics of nu metal...Or at least had. Rollin really is in my opinion the simplest song to let someone know what nu metal is like. If people listened to some old Korn songs, then they would most likely not get it. There are of course nu metal bands that do "it" better, but a lot of them drift quite far away from the core. System of a Down naturally is far from being classic nu metal. Disturbed is also more rockish and less hip hop. Maybe there are some bands that I have completely missed, that might be more definitive than Limp Bizkit, but for the past couple of years, I have always considered Limp Bizkit up to 'Chocolate Starfish...' album (at most 'Significant Other' as well, but I tend to leave that album out) to be the the most classic piece of nu metal ever made, in the sense that it has all the main characteristics and none of the experimental things that bands like Slipknot and Korn and SOAD and most others incorporated.
01.05.2009 - 02:23
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by Vunts on 01.05.2009 at 02:10

classic piece of nu metal ever made

how about Drowning Pool's "Bodies"?
01.05.2009 - 13:12
Vunts
Didn't know that song was made by Drowning Pool, thanks for that (I haven't listened to Drowning Pool knowingly). But that song doesn't sound all that nu for me. I think that it comes down to my perception of nu metal, which is probably wrong. A lot of popular bands that are labelled under nu metal don't sound so to me because they lack the clear hip hop elements. I might be overrating the part of hip hop in nu metal bands, because even the most famous nu metal bands don't really have that and are still called nu. That's the reason why I think so of Limp Bizkit. They are drenched with hip hop elements and "heavy" guitar parts, plus the Rollin' song is simply stereotypical. Even if it's not my favourite song in the genre or even the band (I listen to the first album from Bizkit more often) then I would still use that as an example of nu metal.
01.05.2009 - 13:27
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by jupitreas on 01.05.2009 at 01:00

You guys are joking right? Limp Bizkit never was and never will be a band of any artistic worth. Not a single thing they did is original. And this coming from someone who really has nothing against nu metal, btw. Some nu metal is great but Limp Bizkit was always an embarrasment and perhaps the number one reason why the genre is still hated today...

Well, not Nu Metal. I said Rap Metal. I think they have nothing to do with Nu Metal, yeah?

I'm not deep into Nu Metal.. But there is one album through all Nu Metal stuff I've heard which sounds brilliant to me.. "Take a Look In The Mirror" by Korn is very nice..
Then some works by Slipknot, their very first album was good. And Static-X 's Machine was another good album in Nu Metal.. Well Static-X is Nu Metal isn't it? I doubt if it's Industrial Metal.
01.05.2009 - 14:42
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Well, "Machine" is very industrial, obviously.
And "Take A Look In The Mirror" is Korn's 'back to the roots' album that didnt really work as well as expecred.

I can see you guys are terribly confused regarding genre.
08.05.2009 - 00:17
Wyrd
Written by BitterCOld on 30.04.2009 at 07:30

Written by brapp32 on 29.04.2009 at 12:40

I guess you misread what this thread was about. It's not about if you like nu-metal or not. It's about nu-metal bands you like. If you don't like any nu-metal bands you shouldn't be here.

just ignore him. he's some new to the site guy trying to flex his "metal cred" by bashing anything that it is "cool" to dislike. (see also the "Lordi vs. Slipknot Mask" thread in the arena)...

i don't particularly care for nu-metal at all - but i don't horribly dislike it, either. some bands are better than the mindless trash that try to copy them... just like pretty much every other genre out there. i just pop by from time to time to read any entertaining posts railing against the genre... i guess i miss activity on the "why do people hate alternative metal" thread.

"flex my metal cred by bashing anything that it is COOL to dislike" I'm pretty sure i'm allowed to have my own opinion if I want. And I don't know what "Flexing my metal cred" is, but hay do what every makes you feel better about you self Champ!
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
08.05.2009 - 00:32
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Wyrd on 08.05.2009 at 00:17

I guess you misread what this thread was about. It's not about if you like nu-metal or not. It's about nu-metal bands you like. If you don't like any nu-metal bands you shouldn't be here.

just ignore him. he's some new to the site guy trying to flex his "metal cred" by bashing anything that it is "cool" to dislike. (see also the "Lordi vs. Slipknot Mask" thread in the arena)...

i don't particularly care for nu-metal at all - but i don't horribly dislike it, either. some bands are better than the mindless trash that try to copy them... just like pretty much every other genre out there. i just pop by from time to time to read any entertaining posts railing against the genre... i guess i miss activity on the "why do people hate alternative metal" thread.

"flex my metal cred by bashing anything that it is COOL to dislike" I'm pretty sure i'm allowed to have my own opinion if I want. And I don't know what "Flexing my metal cred" is, but hay do what every makes you feel better about you self Champ!

you are allowed your own opinion. i just find it pretty amusing that "your opinion" matches the general herd mentality. when you actually say something new, i'll be interested.

the bulk of your posts are wastes of internet space bashing whatever is cool to bash or uselessly trying to defend "generic" power metal.

i hate nu-metal
i hate rap
i hate slipknot
blah
blah
blah

moo.

yes, and reading your pretty useless posts does make me feel better about myself, honestly.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.05.2009 - 01:13
Konrad
Mormon Storm
@bitterc0ld ... he knows what he's talking about man...I mean since he's 90 years old, he is wiser than all of us.
----
Brujerizmo!
08.05.2009 - 02:42
Wyrd
Written by BitterCOld on 08.05.2009 at 00:32

Written by Wyrd on 08.05.2009 at 00:17

you are allowed your own opinion. i just find it pretty amusing that "your opinion" matches the general herd mentality. when you actually say something new, i'll be interested.

the bulk of your posts are wastes of internet space bashing whatever is cool to bash or uselessly trying to defend "generic" power metal.

i hate nu-metal
i hate rap
i hate slipknot
blah
blah
blah

moo.

yes, and reading your pretty useless posts does make me feel better about myself, honestly.

Oh Fuck Off! Why the hell do you even care? I said something defending power metal one fucking time and all of a sudden you fucking know me, I can like and hate what ever I want, and I would be very happy to hear someone talk to me with respect to maybe try to change my mind about the stuff I hate sure. But dont you Fucking tell me why I make my opinions the way they are you Asshole.

But your still a Champ
----
08.05.2009 - 03:08
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Wyrd on 08.05.2009 at 02:42

Oh Fuck Off! Why the hell do you even care? I said something defending power metal one fucking time and all of a sudden you fucking know me, I can like and hate what ever I want, and I would be very happy to hear someone talk to me with respect to maybe try to change my mind about the stuff I hate sure. But dont you Fucking tell me why I make my opinions the way they are you Asshole.

But your still a Champ

Calm down, have some dip. I think he was merely taking advantage of the fact that you don't explain your extremely typical "opinion" leading everyone who has the misfortune of reading your posts to think that you're talking out of your ass.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
08.05.2009 - 03:27
Wyrd
Written by Doc G. on 08.05.2009 at 03:08

But your still a Champ

Calm down, have some dip. I think he was merely taking advantage of the fact that you don't explain your extremely typical "opinion" leading everyone who has the misfortune of reading your posts to think that you're talking out of your ass.

God dammit I don't even have any dip! But ya I guess I know where your coming from with me not explaining my opinions. I just thought that know one let it get to them like Champ up there making it seem like he knows me like a fucking book. Oh! and thanks for making it seem like my posts are from the devil. lol
----
08.05.2009 - 03:39
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin

But your still a Champ

do you email your mom with that keyboard?

i care because i care about the boards and this site. in your scant life on this forum i've seen you attack other posters (Lord Reg comes to mind in the aforementioned Generic power Metal thread) and made pretty much useless posts up. i recall you from that tantrum you threw on the Generic Power Metal thread, and virtually every other time i've stumbled across your name on a thread i visit you've posted worthless crap.

if you are going to throw caustic remarks around and insult people because you disagree with them (Lord Reg is an asshole. Apparently I'm Champ Asshole now as well because I disagree with you) and genres other people like, be prepared to have criticism directed back your way.

you claim you want respect? show some to others, first.

i'll show you respect when you're capable of posting something worthwhile and sorting out differences in musical opinions like an adult rather than hurling insults.

until then, you'll get no respect from me.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.05.2009 - 04:01
Wyrd
Written by BitterCOld on 08.05.2009 at 03:39

But your still a Champ

do you email your mom with that keyboard?

i care because i care about the boards and this site. in your scant life on this forum i've seen you attack other posters (Lord Reg comes to mind in the aforementioned Generic power Metal thread) and made pretty much useless posts up. i recall you from that tantrum you threw on the Generic Power Metal thread, and virtually every other time i've stumbled across your name on a thread i visit you've posted worthless crap.

if you are going to throw caustic remarks around and insult people because you disagree with them (Lord Reg is an asshole. Apparently I'm Champ Asshole now as well because I disagree with you) and genres other people like, be prepared to have criticism directed back your way.

you claim you want respect? show some to others, first.

i'll show you respect when you're capable of posting something worthwhile and sorting out differences in musical opinions like an adult rather than hurling insults.

until then, you'll get no respect from me.

Okay then, but if you read my other posts you would have seen that I usually apologize after I say something retarded. like I said to Lord Reg I get pissed off and don't Watch what I post sometimes and i'm sorry to you for having to endure me making an ASS of my self. Plus I don't normally go on threads of bands I don't like and Bash them, but ya sometimes I get carried a way and get provoked and I really do apologize for that,. But you did not need to go all after school special all me. I just hope that this does not get turned in to some retarded rivalry between us and we can have a normal Discussion
----
08.05.2009 - 04:44
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Wyrd on 08.05.2009 at 04:01

Okay then, but if you read my other posts you would have seen that I usually apologize after I say something retarded. like I said to Lord Reg I get pissed off and don't Watch what I post sometimes and i'm sorry to you for having to endure me making an ASS of my self. Plus I don't normally go on threads of bands I don't like and Bash them, but ya sometimes I get carried a way and get provoked and I really do apologize for that,. But you did not need to go all after school special all me. I just hope that this does not get turned in to some retarded rivalry between us and we can have a normal Discussion

instead of flying off the handle and apologizing later, my STRONG suggestion is you just avoid posting until you can post in a calm, collected manner and avoid personal insults.

i'd advise you to familiarize yourself with the FAQ regarding behavioral expectations on this site.
----

08.05.2009 - 13:09
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by jupitreas on 01.05.2009 at 14:42
And "Take A Look In The Mirror" is Korn's 'back to the roots' album that didnt really work as well as expecred.

I just want to add in here that it's not nice to leave someone hanging on that without making a decent attempt to eliminate the confusion...

...and damn you others for getting Rollin', Y'all Want a Single, Papercut, etc in my head
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
08.05.2009 - 13:15
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Written by BitterCOld on 08.05.2009 at 04:44

instead of flying off the handle and apologizing later, my STRONG suggestion is you just avoid posting until you can post in a calm, collected manner and avoid personal insults.

i'd advise you to familiarize yourself with the FAQ regarding behavioral expectations on this site.

MARK IT ZERO!
----
Brujerizmo!
08.05.2009 - 13:38
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by Syk on 08.05.2009 at 13:09

Written by jupitreas on 01.05.2009 at 14:42

I just want to add in here that it's not nice to leave someone hanging on that without making a decent attempt to eliminate the confusion...

...and damn you others for getting Rollin', Y'all Want a Single, Papercut, etc in my head

I'm just saying that if one thinks "Machine" is nu metal and views Korn's 'back to basics' album as something innovative, there is a likelihood that they aren't really familiar with nu-metal as a genre to a significant extent. I suppose I was a bit of a jerk though, for which I apologize. In the end, lack of experience with a genre is not really a negative thing, merely a state that one can improve upon if they are so inclined.

Regarding classifying Limp Bizkit as rap-metal - as the term implies, it should be used to describe metal music that has been influenced to a fair degree by rap. Limp Bizkit however do not really have a sound that is easily identified with metal, although they share a lot of elements with nu-metal bands. In other words, I'd say using the term nu metal to describe them is far more appropriate, although a lot of people would deny them the 'metal' classification altogether, due to the fact that frankly, there are not a lot of metal elements in their music (unlike say, Korn, the Deftones, Hed PE, etc.)
08.05.2009 - 19:11
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Konrad on 08.05.2009 at 13:15

Written by BitterCOld on 08.05.2009 at 04:44

MARK IT ZERO!

Has the whole forum gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a shit about the rules?

----

19.05.2009 - 06:15
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
I've been listening to this band named ''Fuel''. They play a pretty good hard rock, full of ballads, but they have this nu-metalish feature. They may not even be nu-metal, but their similarity with bands that ARE consider nu-metal turn this whole thing very confusing.

Good band anyway.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
19.05.2009 - 10:48
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Wee, in the older days, befopre i started listening to metal i listened to the following nu metal bands:

in no particular order:
linkin park (only 2 first)
limp bizkit (chocolate.....)
a bit marylin manson
system of a dawn....

now i like most songs of these albums but i have really many years to hear them...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
19.05.2009 - 11:33
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Uirapuru on 19.05.2009 at 06:15

I've been listening to this band named ''Fuel''. They play a pretty good hard rock, full of ballads, but they have this nu-metalish feature. They may not even be nu-metal, but their similarity with bands that ARE consider nu-metal turn this whole thing very confusing.

Good band anyway.

They're not Nu Metal (as well as those other bands which ARE considered Nu Metal). I think they were such Post-Grunge or something, but yes I found them good..
19.05.2009 - 18:24
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Uirapuru on 19.05.2009 at 06:15

Good band anyway.
I liked their song Quarter on one of the NFS Underground games. I think it's in my head now but I could be imagining another song from the game, heh. Do they have anything better?

Perhaps if Bon Jovi ever gets onto MS, these guys will too and I can check out more of their stuff
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
24.05.2009 - 14:25
Kirisute Gomen
Account deleted
Disturbed, Slipknot, Korn & Faith No More..
28.05.2009 - 14:27
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
I think many people mix up Nu Metal and alternative metal. It's as if any non extreme metal band from the late 90s forward is considered Nu Metal. I therefore disagree that bands like Slipknot or Godsmack are Nu Metal. Slipknot is alternative metal and Godsmack is more of a heavy hard rock band. I'll explain why I see a mojor difference between Nu Metal and so called Nu Metal bands. A genre is a classing of various elements, whether it's in music, cinema, literature..., that have several common points. Now if anyone can explain to me what the common points are between Slipknot and Linkin Park, I'll be amazed. So what is Nu Metal? To me, Nu Metal bands have singers who generally sing in clean voices during verses and who usually use more powerful voices during the chorus. The music is basic and often incorporates elements of rap or hip/hop. The bands also have a more moderate dress code compared to heavier metal genres. So here are, to me, the major Nu Metal bands: Korn since Follow the Leader, Limp Bizkit, Disturbed, Papa Roach, Linkin Park, P.O.D., Adema, Ill Nino, Drowning Pool, Spineshank, Machine Head (Burning Red and Supercharger), and to some extent Guano Apes and Coal Chamber's Chamber Music...

I just thought I would make this point as I've been angered in the past by some things bracketing everything post 1998 as Nu Metal. I remember seeing a compilation CD back in the early 2000s. It was called something like, Best Nu Metal anthems. On it were Marilyn Manson?, Blink 182?, Sum 41?, Sepultura?, Children of Bodom?and others that were totally not Nu Metal or in some cases metal full stop.

Oh, and I may add that if anyone is looking for a decent Nu Metal/Rapcore album try Vanilla Ice's Hard to Swallow album from 1998, this is not a joke by the way.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
30.05.2009 - 15:50
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
I've been listening to Limp Bizkit's old stuff and enjoying it again. ''Three Dollar Bill, Yall$'' and ''Significant Other'' are good albuns, way heavier than the others. I kinda miss the time when their success started, these songs are still nostalgic in some way..

There is a new album on the way to this year, I'll definetly check out.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
10.06.2009 - 17:04
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Tried Korn, but don't really like them, but I think the music of Disturbed is cool.
BTW, is Five Finger Death Punch considered as Nu Metal?
----
loves 小巫
21.06.2009 - 14:15
brapp32
I would think ffdp are considered nu-metal. If you like ffdp check out motograter and ghostmachine.
21.06.2009 - 17:49
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
No... don't find them that great upon second try. still really like disturbed though
----
loves 小巫
02.09.2009 - 14:57
Jan Destiny
Disturbed.
All of their albums are good, and David's voice is great!
----
"Fiction is the truth inside the lie" (Stephen King)