Posted by Stigmatized, 09.06.2006 - 18:52
Formed in 1992

Label-Roadrunner

Lineup-

Robb Flynn- Guitar/vocals
Phil Demmel- Guitar
Adam Duce- Bass
Dave McClain- Drums

Machine Head is a Groove/Thrash band from Oakland, California. The reason I put them in the Alternative Metal Forum is due to their various style changes. Their first album "Burn My Eyes", was a groove/thrash album released in 1994. Their next 3 albums are considered Nu-Metal/Mallcore. In 2004, they released "Through the Ashes of Empires", which was a return to their original groove/thrash sound. Lead singer and guitar player Robb Flynn has what seems to be an unresolved feud with Kerry King of Slayer. You can read the details here- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robb_Flynn

Let me know what you think of them and which albums you like. I myself only listen to Burn My Eyes and Through the Ashes of Empires, great albums...both.
24.11.2008 - 08:06
breX
Account deleted
Great band!!! I love The Blackening and Burn My Eyes. They have a great unique sound that really makes them stand out from the rest.

For me, their best album is the Blackening
15.12.2008 - 20:35
Saitenhexerin
Written by [user id=32511] on 24.11.2008 at 08:06

Great band!!! I love The Blackening and Burn My Eyes. They have a great unique sound that really makes them stand out from the rest.

For me, their best album is the Blackening

The Blackening is absolutely fantastic! It almost blew me off my chair when I listened to it the first time!
It is one of the most powerful bands I ever knew!
And the new special edition is also great...the live performances are sheer madness!
I wanna see them live, unfortunately the tour with Metallica was sold out so quickly.
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
18.12.2008 - 17:42
Luciferion
I really enjoy the Blackening.

I saw them live a while back and at that point wasn't really a fan, however leaving teh show i definitely had gained a lot of respect for them, and now i quite enjoy them. Was a really good live show and really helped me get into this wicked band.
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.
22.12.2008 - 20:45
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Machine Head was my favourite band in the 90's they kinda got me into metal with "Burn my Eyes" and then "The More things Change"....then I kinda lost interest when they ballsed it up with "The Burningred" and the horrible one after that.

I heard "The Blackening" a while ago and its alright, yet Im not a great judge at the moment because so much time has passed since I originally got into them - I think my taste in music has progressed a little too far to still like them, whatever they release, tbh.
05.02.2009 - 10:23
RockeRoy
The blackening is without a doubt their best album in my mind, but Burn my eyes is also awsome, Davidian would be on the soundtrack to mye life album;)
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
16.03.2009 - 12:07
Saitenhexerin
Omg, I got tickets...:banger:
It's so fucking cool, I am freaking out!
If there are any rumours about the setlist, please post it...tzhx in advance =)
----
19.05.2009 - 15:00
terrorist
Recently i got their album The Blackening and i was so amazed when i heard Aesthetics o Hate!!!!!!!!Great song!!!!
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
07.06.2009 - 19:07
The War Within
Account deleted
Through the Ashes of Empires, Burn My Eyes and The Blackening are all great albums

I'm looking forward to see them at wacken
24.08.2009 - 20:18
Saitenhexerin
...And gorgeous tour dates to be announced:

February 16 - Plymouth, Pavilions
February 18 - Brixton Academy
February 21 - Birmingham Academy
February 26 - Manchester Apollo

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/machine-head-set-for-2010-uk-tour/

Heaven...^^
----
24.08.2009 - 23:14
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I'll resume the Machine Head at Wacken gig as this:

guitar thud guitar thud guitar thud PROST MOTHERFUCKERZZZZZZ

it was pretty funny actually lol, anyway they delivered.

Written by RockeRoy on 05.02.2009 at 10:23

The blackening is without a doubt their best album in my mind, but Burn my eyes is also awsome, Davidian would be on the soundtrack to mye life album;)

you occasionally let freedom ring with a shotgun blast?
19.11.2009 - 21:26
JD
Account deleted
There's no band like machine head that's what i like about them...
20.11.2009 - 02:45
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by [user id=28526] on 19.11.2009 at 21:26

There's no band like machine head that's what i like about them...

Same here, there'sno bad that sounds like Machine Head, at least not that I'm aware of, and they always bring a fistful of rage and energy in their albums. A total blast.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
30.11.2009 - 15:07
Immortal
To me, 'Imperium' on 'Through the Ashes of Empires' is the ebodiment of pure metal!
----
"Hope is the greatest of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man." - Friedrich Nietzsche
30.11.2009 - 17:55
Angelic Storm
Melodious
"The 2 albums after "Burn My Eyes" are considered nu metal?" That's the first time I've heard "The More Things Change" being labelled that...

I don't hate nu metal, so there's some stuff I really enjoy on "The Burning Red" and "Supercharger". Although the latter is their worst album, IMO. I think "The More Things Change" is really underrated, and a very adventurous album. "The Blackening" is modern metal classic, and may even end up being MH's finest album. I love that Phil Demmel is in the band, he is really an awesome guitarist!
28.12.2009 - 01:39
Dimebag CFH
Machine Head are a fucking awesome band. Ive seen them 3 times (and have tickets for 2 gigs next year!) and i met them in Cardiff in '04. They are a band i have followed for a long time and a band i look up to, and always will. I mean, after Supercharger, things werent looking good for them. Then Phil joined the band and they bought out one of the most hard hitting and original albums of the decade which paved the way for that kind of genre.
Burn My Eyes has to be my favourite album of all, you cant get much more intense than that... unless you are listening to Pantera!
10.09.2010 - 12:51
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Sounds almost funny - Rob Flynn's house was robbed...he is missing some of his rare guitars...offering reward for returning

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=59678
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

17.09.2010 - 03:06
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Let Freedom ring with a shotgun blast !!

----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
17.09.2010 - 10:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Zombie on 17.09.2010 at 03:06

Let Freedom ring with a shotgun blast !!

Sigh... brings back memories... this is when they were still GREAT and relevant
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.09.2010 - 14:59
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
You went to Dynamo 95 in Eidnhoven?
----

17.09.2010 - 15:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Zombie on 17.09.2010 at 14:59

You went to Dynamo 95 in Eidnhoven?

Yes, I did.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.09.2010 - 15:46
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
I saw them when they supported Slayer back in 1994 (I think). Davidian stomped me into the floor. And it still does to be honest.
What a great band they used to be.
17.09.2010 - 18:07
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
@ Marcel: Grrrr LUCKY YOU !!!!
@ daniell_p: yeah, old machine head kicked ass, they mixed the groove with the aggression (and with rap like in "a thousand lies"), "burn my eyes" has got to be one of the best debut albums ever ... however, i dislike anything else they did afterwards ... except "the blackening" .. it has "some" decent tracks... but as an overall its not a very good album.. and its sad to see a band with such great start to decline afterwards.
----

17.09.2010 - 18:34
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I also saw MH supporting Slayer on the Divine Intervention tour. (14th November 1994!) That is still one of the most awesome gigs Ive ever attended.
17.09.2010 - 22:08
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.09.2010 at 18:34

I also saw MH supporting Slayer on the Divine Intervention tour. (14th November 1994!) That is still one of the most awesome gigs Ive ever attended.

That's the same tour I saw them then!
18.09.2010 - 00:05
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Daniell on 17.09.2010 at 22:08
That's the same tour I saw them then!

Haha, it seems so!

It was my first time seeing Slayer, and then when I found out MH were the support, it made me even more excited for it. xD Another distinct memory of that gig was almost collapsing with exhaustion at the end. The last song was "Chemical Warfare" if I remember rightly, and after it ended I could barely stand up. lol Awesome gig though!
18.09.2010 - 00:13
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
My first Slayer gig was in 1992. They were supported by Testament then. Chuck Billy liked Polish vodka so much, that he wanted to learn "cheers" in Polish. He was told it was "na zdrowie", but, obviously, he had a problem with difficult Polish pronunciation, so he remembered it slightly differently. Check the last song on the album "Demonic" - it's called "Nostrovia", and now you know why.

Second time it was Machine Head supporting, as I said before. Then I saw Slayer in 1998, this time they were supported by System of a Down. Slayer fans hated SoaD, so they kept telling them to fuck off. Serj Tankian finally got pissed off and started yelling at the audience. He was greeted by the rain of sandwiches, plastic bags and cups. For a moment there it looked as if we would have a major brawl in the venue, but luckily people settled down and SoaD were able to finish their set. Slayer was fantastic, as usual. I stood too close to the wall of speakers on Jeff's side and as a result, my hearing was impaired for quite a few days after the gig.
18.09.2010 - 02:06
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Daniell on 18.09.2010 at 00:13

My first Slayer gig was in 1992. They were supported by Testament then. Chuck Billy liked Polish vodka so much, that he wanted to learn "cheers" in Polish. He was told it was "na zdrowie", but, obviously, he had a problem with difficult Polish pronunciation, so he remembered it slightly differently. Check the last song on the album "Demonic" - it's called "Nostrovia", and now you know why.

Okay, I had no idea thats were the title for that song came from! Kewl story! xD

Quote:
Second time it was Machine Head supporting, as I said before. Then I saw Slayer in 1998, this time they were supported by System of a Down. Slayer fans hated SoaD, so they kept telling them to fuck off. Serj Tankian finally got pissed off and started yelling at the audience. He was greeted by the rain of sandwiches, plastic bags and cups. For a moment there it looked as if we would have a major brawl in the venue, but luckily people settled down and SoaD were able to finish their set. Slayer was fantastic, as usual. I stood too close to the wall of speakers on Jeff's side and as a result, my hearing was impaired for quite a few days after the gig.

Slayer fans have always been notorious for being rough with support acts. lol That reminds me of the time they had Trivium supporting them, and Matt Heafy was getting really annoyed at the heckling they were receiving from the Slayer fans, and started shouting at them.
18.09.2010 - 03:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
The only thing I know about the Polish is that they make the best vodka. It has no bearing on Machine Head, aside from the fact I had some great times with Davidian at my local metal night/pit for many years. I still think their new stuff is a return to form, even if I don't really listen to them anymore. I know a lot of people regard them as the new Pantera which has always striked me as a little odd but there we go. And wow, Metal Archives has not been kind to them.
18.09.2010 - 11:34
vezzy
Stallmanite
MA has a strong prejudice against Pantera and Machine Head.

In fact, I think they put that picture of Pantera in their glam days to ridicule them. I can't be sure though.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
18.09.2010 - 14:32
JD
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 18.09.2010 at 11:34

MA has a strong prejudice against Pantera and Machine Head.

In fact, I think they put that picture of Pantera in their glam days to ridicule them. I can't be sure though.

Well even if they did, Pantera always will be the best thrash band for all times..