Metal Storm logo
Deicide - Number One Torture Hit In Iraq

The following not everyday blog was posted on Deicide's MySpace page:

"Deicide Music used by US Military to Torture prisoners in Iraq! -- Deicide scores a 1 hit with US Troops!

Gathered from evidence obtained through various reports, leaked interrogation logs and the accounts of soldiers and detainees, a list of the top 24 songs strategically used on military prisoners in Iraq was recently made public, according to Mother Jones Magazine's website. [Mother Jones is an independent, left wing, nonprofit magazine rooted in progressive political values and known for its investigative reporting]

Among a list of such musical luminaries as Eminem, Metallica and AC/DC (as well as non-luminary Barney The Dinosaur), was Deicide, coming in at number one with the song "Fuck Your God" from 2004's "Scars Of The Crucifix".

When word of this info first got to Deicide drummer, Steve Asheim, the only thing he could really say was "It's cool. If we're upto military standards of audio abuse, it makes me feel like Deicide's doing our part for the troops." Of course this moment is not the only history that Asheim has with the armed forces. "My dad was a marine, as were my uncle and grandfather;" says the Deicide skinsman. "I didn't follow in their footsteps since I was so busy with the band thing, but I'm glad I was eventually able to contribute somehow."

Some of the tactical circumstances where prisoners may have heard "Fuck Your God" include sleep deprivation and interrogation disorientation. While some may see this information as a shock, other readers of the source article have taken a slightly different view of the situation. Commented one reader of the source article, "Honestly, the barney theme song is more disturbing than Deicide's "Fuck Your God"."

For more info, including the entire list of songs, go to HERE."

Source: blog.myspace.com
Band profile: Deicide
Posted: 02.03.2008 by Thryce

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 67   Visited by: 275 users
02.03.2008 - 22:52
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
People are proud of contributing to torture? how sad.
02.03.2008 - 23:04
Empty Spaces
Unburied At Dusk
Written by Lucas on 02.03.2008 at 18:20

I'm waiting for the anti-iraq racist bitch to send some REAL torture music, like Senthil or Stalaggh.

I've never heard of Sinthil but I think Stalaggh might make them go insane. (I think I might even go insane if I listened to an entire Stalaggh release!!!!)
02.03.2008 - 23:13
haha ...thats funny...XD
----
No-one is closer to the Devil than me
03.03.2008 - 01:06
Iced Angel
this is horrible !!!
Just read the comments on that website ... those guys are sick people !!!
I wish somebody torture them the same way ... I don't think they enjoy it that much. sick bastards ...
03.03.2008 - 02:01
Vermin
Things like this makes me wish the entire human race was wiped out, so that the world had a chance to start over. How can these numbnuts take pride in torture!? Steve Asheim should be tortured himself. It might be an effective interrogation technique, but it doesn't justify a war started by the power-hungry fascists of the U.S. Government, somebody should throw them over...
03.03.2008 - 04:11
Duy Hung
Account deleted
Damn them, this is not funny by all means!!
03.03.2008 - 05:12
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by GT on 02.03.2008 at 12:17

How can they be proud about contributing to torture is beyond me.

theyre deicide. glenn benton has an inverted cross branded on his forehead. they champion everything blasphemous and wrong. it should come as no surprise, granted its a horrible thing. and i'd be fucking pissed if i had to listen to the bee gees for 12 hours in a row.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
03.03.2008 - 09:04
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
well when u look at Deicide its not surprising really
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
03.03.2008 - 09:49
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Just the fact that torturing exists, let alone for these reasons, and the enthusiasm behind it has so many things wrong with it. I can't even begin. I do understand the humor in it all - but understanding it doesn't mean I'm laughing.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
03.03.2008 - 13:59
Opium
Account deleted
I found this amusing, although I do remember Glenn saying that he finds it "sad" that some people take his lyrics seriously. He did comment on the MUSIC, don't forget, for certain posters above me, not the lyrics.
03.03.2008 - 17:39
hefestus
^^ I also want that kind of torture
03.03.2008 - 18:20
I feel like torturing those soldiers while listening to Dying Fetus.
Fuck them!!
03.03.2008 - 18:25
nb
This is sick man.
03.03.2008 - 20:47
Murder
this really sucks! the army is the greatest shit in this world!! I can't believe this... How are they dare to use metal for this fucking things???

this makes me sick...
03.03.2008 - 21:51
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
I want to be tortured with Enter Sandman too!!

But seriously... I can't believe this stuff, what the *beep* is wrong with that drummer?
----
THRASH!!!
04.03.2008 - 07:41
villain
hahah the recent deicide shits is a pain even for the seasoned dm listener...yucky music
----

Suddenly........
Life has new meaning
04.03.2008 - 15:20
Magatouve
Account deleted
Written by Spyroid on 02.03.2008 at 15:38

I just don't get it? What's so torturing with music? I mean okay, I would infact find it disturbing to listen to Barney the Dinousar all day long but it wouldn't really kill or hurt me, would it?

For me it would, if you're in 2 by 2 meters cell and you haven't slept for two days, what more disturbing can be more than listening to Barney?!
04.03.2008 - 15:27
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Well well..

Steve Asheim is consistent with his 'fuck humanity' views. OK

But :
- by supporting torture in Iraq, he supports the views of his government, which are a bunch of christian extremists entrenched in a holy war (and yes, Bush used the whole crusade imagery a few times). So a satanist supports christians who would gladly burn him anyways...
- he therefore also admits that the US army see his music as a bunch of noise so horrible that it can only be used as a torture instrument. They have no respect for his music, nor does he, it seems.

BTW not all satanism is about being evil and vile, promoting torture, murder, and shit like this.

Pathetic.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
04.03.2008 - 15:33
Magatouve
Account deleted
Written by AnarChrist on 02.03.2008 at 17:45

Written by Hamird on 02.03.2008 at 17:35

but in fact are licking their balls, like Deicide

wrong
finally a band who proudly stands for their views and doesn't write blasphemous lyrics just for the sake of being br00tal, i'ms sick of those death metal bands who sing about torture and then say in interviews that "oh no, torture is so bad, we're nicew people really"
respect to Deicide for standing for what they believe in, be those views as cheesy as they are

Deicide standing for their views? What the Fuck?
I wish Deicide vocalist stood up for his views when he said that he would commit suicide when he is 33 years old!!
Actually I respect those who sing about torture and condemn at the same time. Singing about something doesn't mean promoting it. You may sing or write about something to condemn it or to use it as a metaphor or whatever.... what Deicide said about the torture thing is just something to promote this childish Satanic image they have. Their vocalist said in one documentary about metal that Satan tells him what to sing. Would you take that seriously? I take all what they say as serious as the suicide thing.
04.03.2008 - 15:55
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Author on 04.03.2008 at 15:20

Written by Spyroid on 02.03.2008 at 15:38

I just don't get it? What's so torturing with music? I mean okay, I would infact find it disturbing to listen to Barney the Dinousar all day long but it wouldn't really kill or hurt me, would it?

For me it would, if you're in 2 by 2 meters cell and you haven't slept for two days, what more disturbing can be more than listening to Barney?!

It's still bizarre to use art (in this case music) as torture.
04.03.2008 - 18:06
AnarChrist
Ok, I did say "be those views as cheesy as they are", should've wrote "as cheesy and childish" then. Their pseudosatanism which has nothing to do with real satanism is indeed lame, but at least they kept their image, good for them
Is Asheim as much into that type of "satanism" as Benton? I saw him commenting more as a dedicated militarist, I also don't think he automatically supports the goverment, as even if he has those "kvlt satanic" views, he should also be fond of torturing moslems.

I think we shpuld all stop bashind Deicide and start bashing Metallica for releasing "St. Anger", which has by now effectively tortured millions more.
AND THEY STILL KEEPS ELLING THAT ALBUM!!! THIS IS FAR MORE WORSE THAN ASHEIM'S REACTION COMEON
----
oh my fucking god, fucking dinosaurs
04.03.2008 - 20:05
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Darkside Momo on 04.03.2008 at 15:27
Well well..

Steve Asheim is consistent with his 'fuck humanity' views. OK

But :
- by supporting torture in Iraq, he supports the views of his government, which are a bunch of christian extremists entrenched in a holy war (and yes, Bush used the whole crusade imagery a few times). So a satanist supports christians who would gladly burn him anyways...
- he therefore also admits that the US army see his music as a bunch of noise so horrible that it can only be used as a torture instrument. They have no respect for his music, nor does he, it seems.

BTW not all satanism is about being evil and vile, promoting torture, murder, and shit like this.

Pathetic.
Don't be a dumbass. From Earth, you're leaping to conclusions sitting at the bottom of the sea on Neptune. Horrible assumptions like these cannot be used as arguments.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
04.03.2008 - 21:51
Talvi
I think I'd die if they made me hear Enter Sandman too many times. That's a torture!
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
04.03.2008 - 23:13
DoomGuard
brutal...
05.03.2008 - 09:37
Krashlanmar
Account deleted
I have several things to say:

Firstly (and foremost, of course) it is my uneducated guess (I don't listen to Deicide and never have... yet) that he did not make those comments with 100% seriousness.

Secondly, in response to what someone said about Satanism in an earlier comment, Satanism by definition is NOT torturous, murderous, being evil, etc. HOWEVER it DOES 'preach' that you're the god of your reality and should treat yourself as such. It does not say there's no such thing as love and the like in the world, however, it takes a more pragmatic stance on life. If you hate someone, act on it, if you like being around someone, act on it. This belief system inherently lends itself to avarice, bigotry, etc, so it's not far off to say that it promotes 'murder and shit like this,' however to say it's outright evil is going too far I think. It means different things to different people.

Agree with the Enter Sandman. Not a big fan of Metallica. I could never really get into anything of theirs other than Ride the Lightning. Even then, first few songs and then the rest is garbage... to me. =p
05.03.2008 - 23:02
Piro
lol is all I can say.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
05.03.2008 - 23:22
Mosquiller
It is not extraordinary!
taliban tortured koreans by reciting quran, and more examples...
so its kinda 'to compensate evil with evil'!

As for satanism, I will not go deeper in this topic, because this is another theme and it would fill books to discuss this. Only one thing here: All those blind followers should think about where satanism is coming from! Right, from the church itself. Here I speak of all those stupid satan-worshippers (Glen Benton, ...). I know that the word "satanism" has thousands of different sides. Some say that they hate religion: Now I ask them: Is satanism not also a kind of religion?? Yes it is! You see, they contradict themselves!
----
Written by Konrad on 10.12.2009 at 22:41

Hey, if you put your mind to something, you can accomplish it...just don't give up.
06.03.2008 - 18:05
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Syk on 04.03.2008 at 20:05

Don't be a dumbass. From Earth, you're leaping to conclusions sitting at the bottom of the sea on Neptune. Horrible assumptions like these cannot be used as arguments.

Oh sure... Explain me why ? Sure, maybe he didn't even think about anything except 'cool, it's more evil'.
----

I am awake"
07.03.2008 - 00:31
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Darkside Momo on 06.03.2008 at 18:05
Written by Syk on 04.03.2008 at 20:05
Oh sure... Explain me why ? Sure, maybe he didn't even think about anything except 'cool, it's more evil'.
Exactly, you explained part of it already. Now, if your first post was typed another way, either to make a bitter jab out of pure disdain for the band or to inject some humour, I could pass over it. The way you worded it, though, seems like you're just saying your honest thoughts in a normal tone of voice, and so I must explain the rest:

"- supporting torture in Iraq, he supports the views of his government ... So a satanist supports christians who would gladly burn him anyways...
- he therefore also admits that the US army see his music as a bunch of noise so horrible that it can only be used as a torture instrument. They have no respect for his music, nor does he, it seems"

That is like saying, "The sky is the same colour as a stream of water. Therefore, I want to drink some sky." There is no admission that his music "can only be used as a torture instrument," nor that he has no respect for his music. It's screamingly obvious that their stuff may be an effective "torture" to Muslims: their lyrics are blasphemous and offensive to any follower of organized religion, and their style of playing (death metal) is naturally "not easy on the ears" for lack of a better phrase - especially for people who have not heard much from the style before. You can't just assume that (ORGANIZED (!)) torture was his/the band's primary reason for recording Scars of the Crucifix. And you just grabbed the aspect of respect out of thin air, like if I were to close this post with MONKEY SPATULA
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
08.03.2008 - 12:43
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Seems there is a misunderstanding...
Written by Syk on 07.03.2008 at 00:31

It's screamingly obvious that their stuff may be an effective "torture" to Muslims: their lyrics are blasphemous and offensive to any follower of organized religion, and their style of playing (death metal) is naturally "not easy on the ears" for lack of a better phrase - especially for people who have not heard much from the style before. You can't just assume that (ORGANIZED (!)) torture was his/the band's primary reason for recording Scars of the Crucifix.

I totally agree about all this (or else it wouldn't be used as torture), but I never implied that torture was the band's goal when they recorded their album. What I meant was : if the US army uses it as torture, it's also because they don't like Deicide's music either, seeing it as noise only good to torture people. That's at least what I suppose, because I think that a Deicide fan wouldn't 'promote' the music of a band he likes for this kind of use. Was I clear enough on this point ?

They have no respect for his music, nor does he, it seems"

As I said above, for me the US army shows contempt for Deicide's music. Contempt = no respect. Why would he accept that ?

a bitter jab out of pure disdain for the band

It was also that, as the 'Pathetic' at the end of the post showed.

BTW, I liked your image of jumping into Neptune's oceans. But they're a bit cold
----

I am awake"

Hits total: 12361 | This month: 1