Band: In Flames
Album: The Mirror's Truth
Style: Alternative metal, Gothenburg metal
Release date: March 2008

01. The Mirror's Truth
02. Eraser
03. Tilt
04. Abnegation

So In Flames return after "Come Clarity" and the huge tour that followed a couple of years ago to much anticipation. Anticipation from die-hard fans for their next instalment from the jesters of Gothenburg, and also on the other side anticipation from casual onlookers to see just how bad they have got these days.

"The Mirror's Truth" comes to us one month before the release of the next chapter in the In Flames story in the form of the full-length album "A Sense Of Purpose". This EP contains four tracks totalling not even quarter of an hour. The opening, title track to this CD is also the opening number of the forthcoming full-length but the other three tracks do not make any more appearances than on this teaser of a release.

Everyone knows the direction In Flames have taken in recent times and it would seem generally, people are used to this fact but whenever you come face to face with a cartoonish cover of this nature the only thoughts evoked are those that this band is aiming at the audience Korn did back in the 90's. Musically there is no standout track on this EP but there are no real bad ones either, the four tracks present quite a heavy side to In Flames that many people will be glad to hear. Of course we have our usual In Flames-isms, there is no lack of melody, Anders' distinctive voice is still ever-present as are the guitars and usual song structures that are much the same as they have been for the past few albums.

"The Mirror's Truth" is a nice little release although its main purpose is to draw attention for the full-length that will make its release early next month. This CD is easily accessible for young newcomers and very likeable. You would hope "A Sense Of Purpose" can continue this wave of positivity, but you will just have to wait and see how your expectations compare to the release everyone has their eyes on in a few weeks time.

Written on 06.03.2008 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 36   Visited by: 489 users
06.03.2008 - 17:32
Infidel
Child of Hell
Yeah, good review. I agree with all what is in this review. And I'm looking forward to their new full-lenght album a little bit.
06.03.2008 - 18:13
Nyxgrinder
O well "die hard", but wow they are so intrested to kill us, the god news is that we can always move on, or keep what they gave us a while ago
06.03.2008 - 21:16
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Well, Abnegation kicks ass. I really like the new In Flames... *bring your bashing comments* and I'm really looking forward for the new album
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
06.03.2008 - 21:35
Rating: 8
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
One more thing, this EP is released only in Europe. And with it the three non-album tracks (Eraser, Tilt and Abnegation). In the U.S it's release as a downloadable single only on iTunes. But about everyone with a computer, and decent internet can download it ^^ I think this EP is great, at least the non-album tracks, The Mirror's Truth (song) is a liiiiitle bit boring, not bad, but a bit boring. The rest of the songs are just flawless. It's the same with every In Flames release, just to see the name In Flames on a cover means 110% quallity!
06.03.2008 - 21:48
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Dark Tranquillity owns all and everything. That said, I'm still curious to hear this EP
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
06.03.2008 - 21:58
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
It seems that in this EP "Abnegation" is different from the other "Abnegation" (Viva la Bands or something like that).
06.03.2008 - 22:03
Abattoir
Staff
I have listened a few minutes ago to the songs and you can hear the difference between this and old staff. It is quite big. Anyway, I think that it is quite good announcement for the next opcoming album. Looking forward to it...hope it won't be a
disappointment.
06.03.2008 - 23:33
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I really like the coverart, only heard the title track of the EP and I didn't like it. I'll check out Tilt because the title is cool
07.03.2008 - 00:45
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
Written by Unconsecrated on 06.03.2008 at 21:58

It seems that in this EP "Abnegation" is different from the other "Abnegation" (Viva la Bands or something like that).

Yeah, of course ^^ They needed to re-record it to fit with the sound of the rest of the songs. The Abnegation recorded for Viva La Bands Vol. 2 was quickly recorded so it wasn't how it was supposed to be. And it's cool that it's a non-album track also, and this EP is released in Europe only. In the U.S just for download at iTunes.
07.03.2008 - 00:50
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Written by =maD.Doc:. on 07.03.2008 at 00:45

Yeah, of course ^^ They needed to re-record it to fit with the sound of the rest of the songs. The Abnegation recorded for Viva La Bands Vol. 2 was quickly recorded so it wasn't how it was supposed to be. And it's cool that it's a non-album track also, and this EP is released in Europe only. In the U.S just for download at iTunes.

Ok, thanks for clearing that out!
07.03.2008 - 00:51
Ernis
狼獾
Well I'm afraid they won't be producing another "Jester Race" in nearer future.....But I hope the forthcoming album will have lots of enjoyable tracks....
07.03.2008 - 04:25
Rating: 6
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
Good review, but I didn't like the EP, but I don't like In Flames' new stuff very much. I wasn't very dissapointed bc this is exactly what I expected. As with all In Flames' new stuff, not terrible but definetly not good either.
07.03.2008 - 06:37
Rating: 6
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
Written by Unconsecrated on 06.03.2008 at 21:58

The version on Viva La Bands, Vol. 2 was completely terrible imo. Anders tries way to hard to sing (which he is not good at). On the EP it is rerecorded and Anders' singing is changed/toned down, but Abnegation is still the weakest track on the EP imo. I'm glad it won't be released on A Sense Of Purpose.
07.03.2008 - 15:18
dancingdecember
i listened to mirror's truth from their myspace and i liked it very much.but also i find it's chorus very similiar to evil in a closet's chorus.i wont listen to other songs since it's not my tradition.but i think i can hope for a good album.
----
i'm super, thanks for asking
08.03.2008 - 00:29
Rating: 5
Jeeers
If you expect a shit - you get shit! Well .... I got shit. I respect people who like new In Flames sound, but for me they are lost their power. I disagree wit those who didn't like "Soundtrack for your Escape" - it's really interesting album, but starting with "Come clarity" I think in Flames are dead in creative sense... They are boring - admit it! Not bad, just average.... Pheww.... it's a difference between such bands like Dark Tranquillity, Opeth and Katatonia - they make a step further, are innovative, become melodic, but never lose their true power and heaviness - they are never boring.... that's just my opinion, but look around and you see so many underground (and maybe just underrated like "The Old Dead Tree" and "Novembre") bands who has true potential, but like Metallica some of them are too blinded by glittering dollars or just ran out of fresh ideas... i'm sorry for them...
08.03.2008 - 00:31
Rating: 5
Jeeers
OK, above post is really lame in sense of english language, but I think you got idea right
08.03.2008 - 01:24
Warman
Erotic Stains
Good review but what I've heard so far is pure shit. Can't stand todays In Flames.
----
08.03.2008 - 13:30
Deadsoulman
Elite
I like the songs on this EP, especially "The Mirror's Truth", I enjoy what they did with the guitar melodies on this track. I like new In Flames as much as the old one anyway, except STYE. Looking forward to the new release. Hopefully it has the same quality.
08.03.2008 - 14:14
flamey
I dont get all the bashing to this ep cos i think it's truly a step forward after the last 3 albums which lost In Flames' unique melodicness.(if such word exists:D) so to be honest i didnt expect this ep to be good, but hell,tilt is an amazing song. it reminds me of the old In Flames, guitar driven, melodic, different riffs, totally not boring. Drums and guitars' production is also better than the last three albums, cos i think they dont sound artificial like them. So, in general, i think this was a good ep and it gave me hopes once again for the next album.
09.03.2008 - 05:04
b0000mst1ck
okay, so "the mirror's truth" (song, not EP) is boring. "tilt" and "eraser" are okay, and "abnegation" at least sounds better than the version they released last summer. the EP has some decent parts to it, but overall it's massively bland.

and dammit anders, stop singing. you sound like a whiny twelve year old.
09.03.2008 - 22:53
DoomGuard
I'm one of those casual onlookers described heh, and yea i can't wait to see how bad these guys have gotten...Their only good song is 'Episode 666' but i doubt this album is ever gonna sound like that...
10.03.2008 - 23:23
flamey
Written by DoomGuard on 09.03.2008 at 22:53

I'm one of those casual onlookers described heh, and yea i can't wait to see how bad these guys have gotten...Their only good song is 'Episode 666' but i doubt this album is ever gonna sound like that...

You seriously need to get your ears checked.
11.03.2008 - 15:45
DoomGuard
Written by flamey on 10.03.2008 at 23:23

Written by DoomGuard on 09.03.2008 at 22:53

You seriously need to get your ears checked.

I like my ears...they know well that Clean Vocals+Growling=wuss bands (examples are every screamo band and Opeth)
11.03.2008 - 16:20
flamey
Sorry DoomGuard, I can only laugh at you, seriously. Dont show your age that much boy, really. You will learn, in time, to appreciate Opeth, for now it is kinda too good for you. I wish you luck in your journey and good listenings in über brutal trve kvlt death metal, such as Blind Guardian and Iced Earth.
17.03.2008 - 21:07
Plaguebearer
Being my favouite band for some time, I've shrugged off comments about In Flames' genre changes and accepted them for who they are. But I must say this EP was the most dissapointing In Flames release I have listened too. I was greatly looking forward to this new album, and still intend to buy it. But after listening to abnegation and the mirror's truth (i couldn't find the rest of the album online, or in stores) I must say my faith in in flames has been shattered. I don't even hear the "death metal" in their music anymore. My final decision awaits the album, but at this time, it appears to me that the in flames death metal legacy has come to an end.
19.03.2008 - 13:03
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Written by Plaguebearer on 17.03.2008 at 21:07

Being my favouite band for some time, I've shrugged off comments about In Flames' genre changes and accepted them for who they are. But I must say this EP was the most dissapointing In Flames release I have listened too. I was greatly looking forward to this new album, and still intend to buy it. But after listening to abnegation and the mirror's truth (i couldn't find the rest of the album online, or in stores) I must say my faith in in flames has been shattered. I don't even hear the "death metal" in their music anymore. My final decision awaits the album, but at this time, it appears to me that the in flames death metal legacy has come to an end.

I think that the song "The Mirror's Truth" is not that bad, actually it has been growing on me since the first time i listened to it (but i'm getting tired of the music). "Abnegation"is terrible but wait until you listen to "The Chosen Pessimist" (worst In Flames song ever). Anyway, from this EP, "Eraser" and "Tilt" are nice.
19.03.2008 - 17:36
Plaguebearer
Quote:
I think that the song "The Mirror's Truth" is not that bad, actually it has been growing on me since the first time i listened to it (but i'm getting tired of the music). "Abnegation"is terrible but wait until you listen to "The Chosen Pessimist" (worst In Flames song ever). Anyway, from this EP, "Eraser" and "Tilt" are nice.

I actually know what your talking about dude. Mirror is getting better, but its still not what i was hoping for. Im just finding new ways to appreciate in flames. I couldn't find eraser or tilt, but id like to hear them. I just can't stand the whiney crying parts, like in abnegation. It jsut ruins the song for me
19.03.2008 - 18:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Warman on 08.03.2008 at 01:24

Good review but what I've heard so far is pure shit. Can't stand todays In Flames.

I didn't like it either...
I hate the vocals... they are going emo...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.03.2008 - 23:38
b0000mst1ck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.03.2008 at 18:34

I didn't like it either...
I hate the vocals... they are going emo...

you think the EP is bad? wait until you hear a sense of purpose. it's utter crap. in fact, it's so bad it makes abnegation (as bad as it is) sound brilliant.
25.03.2008 - 21:31
muikaslin
Account deleted
in flames was never bad. the sound goes emo??, i think you dont know... they are the best melodic death band ever. if you google for some studio videos, your right, the vocals are like moaning. but i think alltogether the sound is so great.
also their songs are unbeatable in goetheborg, or melodic, how you like. the new ones too.
in flames became more musically in the last years. first they were a goo deathmetal band, but nowadays, they are on of the greatest melodic death metal groups ever. now calles goetheborg, but i don't really like that name.
they should go on like that

Hits total: 12464 | This month: 8