Metal Storm logo
Cannibal Corpse interview (02/2009)

With: George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher
Conducted by: Baz Anderson (in person)
Published: 20.02.2009

Band profile:

Cannibal Corpse

Cannibal Corpse, a controversial subject within the death metal world. This past week I got the chance to catch up with the band's figurehead, the mighty Corpsegrinder about the past, the present, the future, the criticisms and the strains of being away from home.

Due to technical fault, the first few minutes didn't record properly, so the video follows on from this transcription of those first few minutes. Apologies for the occasional focusing problems.

Barry: So you've been on tour now for a few weeks with Children Of Bodom, how has the tour gone so far?

George: Great! Packed every night, crowds awesome, a lot of people that aren't familiar with us, you know our music, which is part of the reason, well the reason to tour and get some new people listening to the band. We're having a good time.

Barry: Is it strange that you're not headlining?

George: It is different, yeh, because every European tour we do we're headlining. But it's kind of refreshing, I mean playing an hour and fifteen minutes when we headline, and now we're playing forty-five, we're on an off before we even know it. We're having a good time, it's really cool, I got to say I would rather open some times, it's way cooler because... we've done it a few times in the states... and this is the first tour we have done for "Evisceration Plague", so it's kind of good to not jump straight back into headlining.

Barry: So you've just released your new album "Evisceration Plague", what are your thoughts on the album, how do you rate it compared to the other albums?

George: Um, I think it stacks up with all of them. I mean the guitar sound is easily the best from what we've had, it's harsh, the heaviness, it's got everything, the song are there, everything is solid. It's had a good reaction, you know we only play two new songs on this tour, and you know, we're doing just "Evisceration Plague" and "Priests Of Sodom", and... "Priests..." is the first song on the album, so people are more familiar with that, usually its the first song that is more, you know, catchy, so we're getting a good reaction, people are ready for it, they are screaming and going crazy. One thing I have noticed it takes people a little bit of time, you know when we come round the second time, they start having... they start to know the songs.

Barry: So what would you say to the people that say you never change your style?

George: Fuck them. We're death metal, we do what we do, you know, we write what we write, I think each album is unique in its own way... I don't see what the problem is... I don't really... I don't care, you know, I don't, because those are the people who are just finding any excuse they can to say something bad about us, they want us gone for whatever reason, you know what, sit behind your fucking table, write your fucking stories, I don't care man, you know we only care about the people here at the shows, that's all we need, that's all we ever needed. You don't like that we don't change, well go and listen to somebody else - [video starts here] I think it should be a credit to us that be stick to our guns, and we do you know... yeh, we've evolved, if you listen to the first record to now it's different, but it's not, it's not a complete change, it's an evolution I think that you know, as far as what the death metal style we are playing... and if anyone doesn't like it then, you know I could have just kept this small you know with two words, fuck off, but... [points to camera] if you don't like it, fuck you.

Part 1

Part 2

Many thanks go to George of Cannibal Corpse for his time, and also Andy Turner for arranging it.
Conducted, transcribed and edited by Barry Anderson, recorded by Rachel Muir.

Posted on 20.02.2009 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 54   Visited by: 360 users
20.02.2009 - 08:42
destroyah
supercharger
Elite
Well there obviously were some technical difficulties and the sound could have been better, but this is very cool nonetheless. So huge thanks to Baz (and the mystery cameraman) for this one, I'm loving it.

I think everybody agrees with me when I say "more video interviews!"
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
20.02.2009 - 10:21
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
That was a nice interview.

I do prefer these video interviews because you get to see the bands.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
20.02.2009 - 12:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Baz your voice are simmilar like my friend Sebastian but its true .... same lengt hair to
Good interwiew and band are banned in NZ , why? I didnt know it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.02.2009 - 16:09
Elio
Red Nightmare
Why is this video on YouTube not available anymore?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
20.02.2009 - 16:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Elio on 20.02.2009 at 16:09

It is ok it loads some time but boat video are on youtube
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.02.2009 - 17:29
Baz Anderson
Staff

Both videos work fine.
20.02.2009 - 20:30
Herzebeth
Lol...it's all out of Focus...is that like a Death Metal effect to add br00tall edges to the video?
----
20.02.2009 - 20:54
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Baz Anderson on 20.02.2009 at 17:29

Both videos work fine.

Ok, the problem was mine then.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
20.02.2009 - 21:45
Hamird
Lieutenant
Barry: So what would you say to the people that say you never change your style?
George: Fuck them.

Thanks to Barry.. Indeed a good interview.. You choose good people as interviewee.. But still I like to watch Benighted interview
21.02.2009 - 01:21
Lol banning Cannibal Corpse... doesn't make sense. They don't promote anything antisocial or violent. The analogy he used about watching a horror movie was spot-on
21.02.2009 - 18:57
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
Great interview, many thanks to the band for destroying death metal.
21.02.2009 - 22:29
ccsucksdicks
Account deleted
WOW.

this FANTASTIC interview merely confirms my beliefs that George Fisher is an idiot meathead, and that Cannibal Corpse is fucking retarded.

Way to kill death metal.

Might as well be listening to Avril Lavigne now.
21.02.2009 - 22:59
PatCorpse
Account deleted
This album is fucking own relly great i love it hailu CorpseGrinder
22.02.2009 - 01:58
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Metalhead2 on 21.02.2009 at 18:57

Written by [user id=38998] on 21.02.2009 at 22:29

WOW.

this FANTASTIC interview merely confirms my beliefs that George Fisher is an idiot meathead, and that Cannibal Corpse is fucking retarded.

Way to kill death metal.

......Am I missing something? These comments confuse me a wee bit...
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
22.02.2009 - 08:09
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Metalhead2 on 21.02.2009 at 18:57

How have they killed death metal?
22.02.2009 - 11:18
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
By commercializing something that should have NOT became commercial.
22.02.2009 - 15:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Metalhead2 on 22.02.2009 at 11:18

You REALLY don't know what you're talking about, do you? You're just paraphrazing Fenriz, Nocturno Culto, Euronymous, Varg here. I love it when scenester kiddies (insert "keyboard heroes" here as well) try to rewrite metal history.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.02.2009 - 18:02
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
Black Metal has nothing to do with Cannibal Corpse. Death Metal was high quality genre but because of drunken idiots like CC that care more for their little egos than for death metal. Death metal was an underground genre for a reason.

Anyway read this stuff http://www.deathmetal.org/death_metal/music
Maybe you will learn something
Hf
22.02.2009 - 18:19
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Metalhead2 on 22.02.2009 at 18:02

Hf

That's the most ridiculous article I've read in a long time.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
22.02.2009 - 20:26
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
Written by Lucas on 22.02.2009 at 18:19

Hf

Pity yourself.
22.02.2009 - 20:29
Baz Anderson
Staff
Hahaha, oh some people you just have to laugh at don't you.

Thanks for the comments guys!
22.02.2009 - 21:40
destroyah
supercharger
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.02.2009 at 15:05

You REALLY don't know what you're talking about, do you? You're just paraphrazing Fenriz, Nocturno Culto, Euronymous, Varg here. I love it when scenester kiddies (insert "keyboard heroes" here as well) try to rewrite metal history.

Actually Marcel, he has a point. I wake up every morning and PRAY that none of my favorite bands receive any fame or wider acknowledgment, cause I totally couldn't listen to them anymore if they did.
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
22.02.2009 - 23:37
matos
Written by destroyah on 22.02.2009 at 21:40

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.02.2009 at 15:05

Actually Marcel, he has a point. I wake up every morning and PRAY that none of my favorite bands receive any fame or wider acknowledgment, cause I totally couldn't listen to them anymore if they did.

If that happens to bands i listen, i burn their early demo tapes i have and never listen to them ever again!
also: just because George Fisher is a very simple death metal guy (even his name is simple), that happens to be the frontman of one of the leading death metal bands, doesn't mean he's going to ruin the genre. CC is not to be taken like Death (for example) which changed their style with every release, CC is more like/just "the basic death metal band".

Oh, btw: nice interview Baz. Basic band - basic questions.
PS: were you just a little afraid this guy wasn't going to eat you ? i know i'd be
----
22.02.2009 - 23:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Hf

I read the article and it was clearly written by someone who didn't grow up with the music at the time.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.02.2009 - 00:51
ylside
Staff
I am still amazed at the size of Corspegrinder's neck.
23.02.2009 - 01:02
U47
It's quite funny reading comments like "when this or that band becomes popular I can't listen to them anymore", which is - in my eyes - the same thing as to say "I can only listen to things that are popular". Do you guys care about the music or do you just want to be underground, cause if you're underground you're really different than all the other people out there. I think if you want to be different to the "mainstream" you should not care about it (what you obviously do, because if the others like it, you can't like it anymore)
23.02.2009 - 01:35
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Metalhead2 on 22.02.2009 at 20:26

Hf

Pity yourself.

Seriously kid, just shut the fuck up. You have absolutely no right to try and "teach" or debate something of this matter with people like Marcel or Lucas. My proof? Here:

Written by Metalhead2 on 03.05.2008 at 13:02

ok i had that opinion about doom metal too when i got into metal.
rofl 2006 xD

Marcels been into metal since before you were born, and Lucas has obviously been into metal longer since his sign up date is before 2006, which means hes probably been into metal for longer than that. You've been into metal for less than 3 years, you think you know more than you actually do.

So I repeat: Quit trying to be Professor Metal and just shut the fuck up. Please.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
23.02.2009 - 01:52
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by matos on 22.02.2009 at 23:37

PS: were you just a little afraid this guy wasn't going to eat you ? i know i'd be

Haha, I was wondering if he would be a little intimidating - and when I got to the venue, due to a little mixup I met him a short while after we were scheduled - so even though I wasn't actually late, he apparently thought I was late and so the tour manager said that he would probably have a little play around with me for that. Hahaha.. but in the end he was actually a really nice and friendly guy.
23.02.2009 - 15:10
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
Written by Doc G. on 23.02.2009 at 01:35

Written by Metalhead2 on 22.02.2009 at 20:26

Hf

Pity yourself.

Seriously kid, just shut the fuck up. You have absolutely no right to try and "teach" or debate something of this matter with people like Marcel or Lucas. My proof? Here:

Written by Metalhead2 on 03.05.2008 at 13:02

ok i had that opinion about doom metal too when i got into metal.
rofl 2006 xD

Marcels been into metal since before you were born, and Lucas has obviously been into metal longer since his sign up date is before 2006, which means hes probably been into metal for longer than that. You've been into metal for less than 3 years, you think you know more than you actually do.

So I repeat: Quit trying to be Professor Metal and just shut the fuck up. Please.

Now you are ironic, they have been listening to metal for a shitload of years but still don't know the basics. Again, quality>quantity my dear Christian.
23.02.2009 - 15:25
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Metalhead2 on 23.02.2009 at 15:10

Now you are ironic, they have been listening to metal for a shitload of years but still don't know the basics. Again, quality>quantity my dear Christian.

Marcel doesn't know the basics?

That's the funniest, stupidest thing I've even seen written on MS!
Thanks for making my day man!
And you think you know better than Marcel and Lucas? I hope you don't have problems with you oh-so-small ego
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"

Hits total: 13190 | This month: 13