01. Tower Of Vanities
02. Chimera
03. Lost Soul
04. The Mental Frames (Part I)
05. How Could I [Cynic cover]
06. A Fortune In Lies [Dream Theater cover]
07. I Am The Black Wizards [Emperor cover]
08. This Dazzling Abyss [Loudblast cover]

Disclaimer: this review might be long (and so is the album) but I couldn't do without the context and other explanations. If you don't care about reading this slab of a review, just go and buy the album straight away.

You may not have heard of French band Kalisia before but they've been among the most praised act here since they released the demo Skies about 15 years ago. I, myself, have discovered the demo back in 2003 I think, and was so blown by this progressive and somewhat death metal music that I was eager for more, for a full length. Back then Cybion was already in the works so everyone was expecting a release sometime soon...
But slowly, as years passed, we started to forget about Kalisia. It came back to our minds sporadically as we could hear news about what was doing the main man behind the band (Brett Caldas-Lima), news that included recording To-Mera's excellent albums, voicing a few sentences in French for Megadeth, joining Cynic live on some dates, etc.
I was starting to think that the whole Cybion project had been stopped... Just when I saw a double CD digipack in a store this March 2009. I couldn't believe my eyes, and I didn't need my ears to listen to it before my mind had decided to buy it (plus, it wasn't that expensive given the package, which included the Skies demo and some new covers in a bonus CD).
Once I got back home came the moment to get the CD out of the classy white package. Pressing "play" would put an end to all those years of waiting, just as if I was now ready to be told the meaning of life, the universe and everything...

The introduction track makes you understand that you're in for an epic. A science-fiction epic to be precise. It's nothing special actually, just a heavily keyboarded symphonic introduction drawing the listener to the second track, "Aspirations Above", opening the first part of the 71 minute long song that Cybion actually is. Cause of course, Cybion is a concept album, divided into 4 parts (A: Revelation, B: Elevation, C: Regression, D: Extinction), again divided into different tracks (have a look at the tracklist, you'll see how clever the listing has been made - all the song titles are written with 2 words that set them in the alphabetical order, so you know where you are in the story just by looking at the initials).

So after the intro you will discover the core of Kalisia's music, which is mostly progressive yet very melodic and exploring many metal genres. If the Skies demo was tagged as progressive death metal, you can't really call Cybion death metal, though it clearly has bits of that, it covers much more metal aspects, from power to industrial and atmospheric, with some not-so-metal moments that are really appreciated (the saxophone bit on "Blinded Addict" for instance). Still, it may come as something "Cynic-like", also "Dream Theater-like" (I'm thinking of their Awake album) but with an epic and electronic atmosphere. Any lover of complex music should try it although those who can't stand growls will have a hard time given that, of the many vocal styles on the album, the main vocals are Brett's growls.

Speaking of which, I shall tell you that the lyrics are also special. As you read them in the booklet, you realize it's more a text than a series of verses and choruses. In fact, there's hardly any chorus on the album: you're told a story mostly through dialogues between different characters so that the sentences are complete and natural for the most part, not only rhymes you see. And what is the story about, you ask? Well, all I will tell you is that it's set up in a future where humankind has reached quite a significant technological level and then meet the Arkens (aliens speaking the Kal language, invented for the album needs), and not all earthlings will follow them and their teachings so that some will set for another home. It's actually much more complicated than that but I have to admit it's a bit confusing and well, I can't permit myself to spoil everything for you!

A note on the bonus CD, starting with the whole 1995 demo Skies. The song "Tower Of Vanities" explains why they were referred to as a progressive/death metal band, "Lost Soul" is a bit quieter and features female vocals and "The Mental Frames part I" is somehow Kalisia's equivalent of Dream Theater's Metropolis part I, though it's an instrumental ending with a frustrating fade out...
After the demo tracks are a few covers, featuring many guests: "How Could I" (Cynic, with Angela Gossow and Christophe Godin), "A Fortune In Lies" (Dream Theater, with David Scott McBee, Tom MacLean and Charly Sahona), "I am Black Wizards" (Emperor, with Sonnm) and "This Dazzling Abyss" (Loudblast, with Ludovic Lopez and Paul Masvidal). My fav being "A Fortune In Lies" but this may be because I used to be a DT fan.

In the end, is Cybion fulfilling all the expectations that have risen from all those years of making? Certainly, if you're into this kind of ambitious adventure. If you don't like long stuff and can't figure yourself listening to a big song for 1 hour and 11 minutes (funny!), if you can't stand keyboards, or hate sci-fi, then you won't like it. But otherwise, you will probably love the first album of Kalisia and no doubt you will come back to it many times to enjoy it in details, as it is a very rich piece of work. I'm sure the guys have some more of it running through their minds and so I set myself in waiting mode once again... Even if I have to wait for another 10 years, if it's worth it like Cybion is, then it's perfectly alright.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by wrathchild | 08.05.2009

Comments

Comments: 81   Visited by: 639 users
08.05.2009 - 16:12
Rating: 8
Reizenstein
After listening through some tracks at the bands myspace, I can say I'll defenitly try to get this
----
Growl
08.05.2009 - 16:28
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Sounds interesting for sure. With the concept album format and sci-fi theme, I can't help but be reminded of Edge Of Sanity's "Crimson". Wonder if I'll like "Cybion" as much as I enjoyed that masterpiece.
08.05.2009 - 16:46
enumaelis
Really good album indeed
----
http://enumaelis.blogspot.com/
08.05.2009 - 17:22
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
This is one of the best debuts I've heard in my life. And you can see how much work they put in this cd.

I can't even think about how they got all the ideas. Amazing.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.05.2009 - 21:01
Fhuesc
Seems like Persefone, definitely im gonna listen this.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
08.05.2009 - 21:27
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Best album of the year for me.
I sometimes find a few 'mistakes' (sounds that seem out of place, rythm...) but they just add more charm. Nothing's perfect, but it's really close.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
08.05.2009 - 23:47
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Just a great, great album. Definitely right about the keyboards wrath, if you don't like em I would avoid this. I happen to be a big fan of keyboards so this was perfect for me. Can't believe it is a debut though...
nice review!
10.05.2009 - 02:11
Rating: 10
Thordelan
Finally a review of the one of the best (if not the best) album of the year. I can't get enough of it. On a side note, I'm not a big fan of keyboards, but I don't mind them at all in Cybion, they perfectly fit the epic feeling of this album.
10.05.2009 - 15:03
annodomini
It reminds me Persefone's 'Core", but It seems that Persefone wil lrelreae a huge masterpiece this year again, so there will a big year for this genre. However Cybion is a marvelous. I heared it last year, cause it was leaked, but now i wil ltry to buy it.
----
the riddle wants to be...
11.05.2009 - 00:45
Abattoir
Staff
Tempting album I guess...I'll have to check out this staff.
11.05.2009 - 04:22
Shadowcross
The Summoner
You can buy the Cybion track in its 1.11.11 entirety from their website for 3 euro. I recommend.
Although I would like the digipack eventually!

http://www.kalisia.com/
Paypal is required
12.05.2009 - 04:16
Rating: 7
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
This review really got to the point, I'll try to listen to this soon, it really seems like something that I will enjoy a lot.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
12.05.2009 - 05:17
thesabbathfan
Dear Metalstormers...

I
FUCKING
LOVE
THIS
ALBUM

that is all.
----
12.05.2009 - 19:20
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I just soiled myself after hearing this album.
----
(space for rent)
12.05.2009 - 20:58
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
What the fuck? They covered A Fortune In Lies? Odd choice...

I'm gonna give this album try, though. Sounds interesting...
12.05.2009 - 21:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 12.05.2009 at 20:58

Why would that be an odd choice?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.05.2009 - 21:14
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.05.2009 at 21:06

I've always viewed that album as a kind of out-of-place album for Dream Theater. Beside Ytse Jam, I don't really think of any of the tracks as "classic" DT songs. It's cool though. I like unpredictable covers... Like how DT covered Maiden's To Tame A Land.
12.05.2009 - 21:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 12.05.2009 at 21:14

I've always viewed that album as a kind of out-of-place album for Dream Theater. Beside Ytse Jam, I don't really think of any of the tracks as "classic" DT songs. Land.

This must clearly be a generational thing because I (and laods of friends of mine) actually consider this album and Awak and Images & Words as the epitome of classical DT and the stuff after that as a watered down derivative of those first three albums.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.05.2009 - 21:27
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.05.2009 at 21:17

I've always viewed that album as a kind of out-of-place album for Dream Theater. Beside Ytse Jam, I don't really think of any of the tracks as "classic" DT songs. Land.

This must clearly be a generational thing because I (and laods of friends of mine) actually consider this album and Awak and Images & Words as the epitome of classical DT and the stuff after that as a watered down derivative of those first three albums.

Oh yeah, I was thinking the same thing about my age compared to yours and how that would affect what those albums mean to each of us, but I love I&W and Awake AND Falling Into Infinity. I just consider WDADU to be a little TOO over-the-top 80's prog for me and I think most DT fans my age. But now I'm making generalizations... which is bad...
12.05.2009 - 21:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 12.05.2009 at 21:27

Oh yeah, I was thinking the same thing about my age compared to yours and how that would affect what those albums mean to each of us, but I love I&W and Awake AND Falling Into Infinity. I just consider WDADU to be a little TOO over-the-top 80's prog for me and I think most DT fans my age. But now I'm making generalizations... which is bad...

A bit mre off topicness. I don't consider WDADU at ott 80s prog imo here they still focused on writing good songs instead of going off into show-off territory plus here you can clearly hear their influences (which can fo course be considered a weak point) which of course are Rush and Metallica (as on Tallica's first three albums)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.05.2009 - 21:41
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.05.2009 at 21:36

plus here you can clearly hear their influences

Makes sense. That's what I was judging by the review. I like Kevin Moore's keyboard work.
12.05.2009 - 22:45
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Holy shit. I've listened to half of the album now... I just can't wrap my brain around how ridiculously complex this album is... but it works and isn't tedious. Songwriting definitely deserves a fucking 10.

I don't think I can listen to all this in one sitting though. Mah brain is meltin'...
12.05.2009 - 23:00
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I must get this, prog metal with the influences of Dream Theater and Cynic with a sci-fi theme can't ask for much more.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
12.05.2009 - 23:20
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 12.05.2009 at 21:27

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.05.2009 at 21:17

Brett explains why he chose this song here
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
13.05.2009 - 05:58
Rating: 7
Wes
I just can't get into this, I think it deserves a 5/10 personally. I think the song writing and production aren't that good.
13.05.2009 - 18:58
Rating: 9
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
This is one of those albums I call closer to an experience than an actual piece of music really. Sure I'm not going to be able to listen to it every day (considering how bewildered I get after about the 3/4 mark, as well as not always being truely fascinating). However, the ambition and work put into this project is outright undeniable. Combining the complexity of Cynic and the ambition and over the topness of Ayreon just made this album something truely special. My only complaint is that sometimes, the album seems a little lost in its self (lets call this Dragonforce syndrome), but over all a true metal master piece.

By the way, was this worked on longer than Chinese democracy? Just wondering.
13.05.2009 - 19:02
wrathchild
Staff
Written by Paradox0 on 13.05.2009 at 18:58

Well, have a look at the interview (conducted by Darkside Momo), there are a few lines about that (and much more of course): Kalisia interview
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mรคgo De Oz
13.05.2009 - 20:36
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Written by wrathchild on 13.05.2009 at 19:02

Written by Paradox0 on 13.05.2009 at 18:58

Well, have a look at the interview (conducted by Darkside Momo), there are a few lines about that (and much more of course): Kalisia interview

To answer my own questyion, depends. If your counting when GnR first attempted to write something, that would be 1994 (but the band bairly functioned at that point). However, with the newer line-up (when it became a solo project) they started writing in 1998. Regardless of what took longer, this is BY FAR closer in quality to how long it took, as apposed to that highly over rated polished turd.
15.05.2009 - 19:00
MeloDeathViking
This album sounds really good, definitly gonna make it my next purchase. I hope I can enjoy it as much as everyone else seems too.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
15.05.2009 - 19:10
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
As of right now, this is my album of 2009. I just can't seem to get enough of it. I really have not had an album hook me in like this in a decade!
----
(space for rent)

Hits total: 24684 | This month: 28