Metal Storm logo
Timo Tolkki - Launches 'Project Strato: Return To Dreamspace'

Ex-Stratovarius member Timo Tolkki's has blogged on his Myspace page about a new project, titled 'Project Strato: Return To Dreamspace' with a link to a music page for the group of the same name.

This Myspace page shed's more light on the project:

"After Tolkki's departure from Stratovarius in the late 2007 an idea was born to get the classic Dreamspace line up together for an album. As a result the summer 2009 will be spent writing and demoing songs for a late 2009 release tentatively titled as: "PROJECT STRATO:RETURN TO DREAMSPACE". This album will see Timo Tolkki handling the vocals again and the fans of the Twilight Time/Dreamspace era will surely not be disappointed."

The reunited group is confirmed on Project Strato's Myspace as:

Timo Tolkki - Vocals & Guitar
Tuomo Lassila - Drums
Antti Ikonen - Keyboards
Jari Kainulainen - Bass

Source: myspace.com
Band profile: Stratovarius
Posted: 20.05.2009 by Shadowcross

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 31   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 184 users
20.05.2009 - 19:57
Elio
Red Nightmare
Lol worst name ever for a band
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
20.05.2009 - 20:22
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Pretty cheesy huh...
20.05.2009 - 20:45
Jร„Y
Metal slave
This is power metal, dudes...what do you expect?

.......it's perfect
20.05.2009 - 20:51
Akke920
Kinda like The Blair Witch Project... No seriously, a ridiculous name!
20.05.2009 - 21:13
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
Seems like Timo didn't fully recover from his mental illness after all.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
20.05.2009 - 21:16
Fhuesc
Written by Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk on 20.05.2009 at 21:13

Seems like Timo didn't fully recover from his mental illness after all.

i was thinking the same. He just can't let it go.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
20.05.2009 - 21:49
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
LOL he can't get enough os Stratovarius it seems
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
20.05.2009 - 22:35
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Better than the Various Project: Return to the Episode I suppose
20.05.2009 - 22:52
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Could be good, could be bad. I'll check them out when time comes
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
21.05.2009 - 00:54
Mr.Wilson
...and the war has begun...lol
----
"..Damned in any Language..."
21.05.2009 - 01:01
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Stratovarius and everything related to them needs to die. right now.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
21.05.2009 - 01:30
Got Mayhem?
Im afraid considering Timo's mental problems lately.

Is this going to be a Christian Power Metal band with a Satanic Message or something?
----
21.05.2009 - 03:26
Talvi
What a disgrace
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
21.05.2009 - 03:55
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Hope its better than the latest from Stratovarius
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
21.05.2009 - 04:58
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Oh, seems that nothing good is coming from this, well, we have to check the result before start blaming him for not letting go Stratovarius
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
21.05.2009 - 06:38
Symmachus
I'm sure he misses being in Stratovarius. And, since there's talk about Timo Tolkki's "mental problems", since there is so much talk about it, does he really have a mental disease or are people just saying that? Sooner or later, Project Strato and neo-Stratovarius may be fighting for the copyrights of the Stratovarius name again. I hope that doesn't happen. I wonder how the new Stratoverius will respond to this recent project of Tolkki's.
21.05.2009 - 11:32
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by Symmachus on 21.05.2009 at 06:38

does he really have a mental disease or are people just saying that?

Apparently he had a bad case of chronic depressions and don't ask me what else...

Oh well, seems like the strato-story is far from over...
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
21.05.2009 - 11:36
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Whoa, just realized that there's no-one left from the pre-Fourth Dimension lineup in the current Stratovarius.
Anyway, Twilight Time and Dreamspace are among my favorite Strato albums, but the chances of Tolkki releasing a new album even half as good are pretty close to zero.
21.05.2009 - 18:31
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Written by Bas on 21.05.2009 at 11:32

Apparently he had a bad case of chronic depressions and don't ask me what else...

I know alcoholism took control of his life for a while. To be honest i think he has a personality disorder and some kind of strong 'social dominance orientation'. I'd love him to leave the Stratovarius which just brought out Polaris alone. Tolkki doesn't seem to be able to produce the goods musically, it seems he's been outStrato'd by the members who are currently in that band. I think RR, Strato and this project can coexist given time. Maybe they join up in the future for anniversary shows.. but right now he really just needs to back the hell away and save himself some dignity!
21.05.2009 - 19:03
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by LeChron James on 21.05.2009 at 01:01

I'm with you mate.
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
21.05.2009 - 23:34
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Irritable Ted on 21.05.2009 at 18:45

After the second RR album was a complete bag of crap and the new Strato album was very good without him, it's no wonder he wants to go back.

I thought that he had handed the name and all of the legal rights for the back catalogue over to TK and the current Strato line up.

So can he legally do this? Or will he have to change the name again?

He's bonkers if you ask me.

Yes, he gave all his legal rights over the Stratovarius name to the other guys. However, you'll have to notice that his 'new project' says PROJECT STRATO and not Stratovarius, so I don't think he'll have any problems.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
22.05.2009 - 06:19
Symmachus
Written by Shadowcross on 21.05.2009 at 18:31

Written by Bas on 21.05.2009 at 11:32

I know alcoholism took control of his life for a while. To be honest i think he has a personality disorder and some kind of strong 'social dominance orientation'. I'd love him to leave the Stratovarius which just brought out Polaris alone. Tolkki doesn't seem to be able to produce the goods musically, it seems he's been outStrato'd by the members who are currently in that band. I think RR, Strato and this project can coexist given time. Maybe they join up in the future for anniversary shows.. but right now he really just needs to back the hell away and save himself some dignity!

Clinincal depression and alcoholism, eh? Yeah, it does seem to me, as Bas pointed out, that the Tolkki vs. Stratovarius feud will stretch into the future. What will be next?
22.05.2009 - 18:55
juanopereira
Is Tolkki that desperate??
22.05.2009 - 21:10
Lord_Regnier
Written by Elio on 21.05.2009 at 19:03

I'm with you mate.

I'm with both of you.

First: Revolution Renaissance sucks and I haven't been impressed at all by what I heard from the new Stratovarius either. I think none of these bands will ever release anything really worth listening to anymore.

Second: All this saga between Tolkki and the others has become a big joke.

Third: Stratovarius was dead long before they made an official announcement, if you know what I mean (the band didn't go anywhere since years). And it should have been left dead once and for all. Bands need to learn when they have done their time and should call their quit.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
22.05.2009 - 22:46
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Lord_Regnier on 22.05.2009 at 21:10

I'm with you mate.

I'm with both of you.

First: Revolution Renaissance sucks and I haven't been impressed at all by what I heard from the new Stratovarius either. I think none of these bands will ever release anything really worth listening to anymore.

Third: Stratovarius was dead long before they made an official announcement, if you know what I mean (the band didn't go anywhere since years). And it should have been left dead once and for all. Bands need to learn when they have done their time and should call their quit.

Dude you're my mate soul.
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
22.05.2009 - 23:08
Lord_Regnier
I think it's kinda the same with Gorgoroth, by the way. The band is not good since a very long time and all this Infernus vs Ghaal-King saga is one big joke too.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
23.05.2009 - 09:33
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Written by Elio on 22.05.2009 at 22:46

Written by Lord_Regnier on 22.05.2009 at 21:10

I'm with you mate.

I'm with both of you.

Dude you're my mate soul.

Maybe you guys can all be mate souls together.
23.05.2009 - 09:36
FOOCK Nam
I hope it will be good stuff.
23.05.2009 - 11:55
Enissa
Written by Irritable Ted on 21.05.2009 at 18:45

After the second RR album was a complete bag of crap and the new Strato album was very good without him, it's no wonder he wants to go back.

I thought that he had handed the name and all of the legal rights for the back catalogue over to TK and the current Strato line up.

So can he legally do this? Or will he have to change the name again?

He's bonkers if you ask me.

You read my mind! I think he's Jealous from the new Stratovarius!!! He just can't stand see the band coming together without him... and releasing a new good album and his band failure with the last album (Which was a classical music album not power!)
17.01.2010 - 05:59
FujiFlame
Assuming I get any kind of response, is there any news on the status of this? Even the Wiki still says it's set for release fall of last year. This concerns me...

I know this is an old discussion, but I feel I have to provide a much needed, alternate perspective. A lot of these comments seem like uneducated hooplah...many of them imply that the article wasn't even read, or at least understood...

For me and I'm sure many others, Dreamspace is an amazing album and the peak of Stratovarius' classic & darker sound. It's an experience you wont find replicated anywhere else in music, let alone from the one place you could hope to expect it: the band itself. Before hearing the news that the old members were getting together to do it like they used to, I always fantasized of such a thing happening. 'What would happen if they continued with that sound? It was so amazing.' and such thoughts, you know? It seems like they were really onto something extraordinary, but dropped it for the sound that ultimately evolved into what they are today, which isn't bad but is certainly tired.

I really don't understand the logic behind despising Tolkki for making this decision. I think it's something to be admired. It implies that the Tolkki we love is in there and that he wants to bring the truest fans what they really want. He's seen where he's failed, and I think he would retire and die happy knowing he made a successful final delivery.

To me, this is great news. It's not about "ZOMG NEW STRATO ALBUM!!1!1"; it's the notion of returning to their old sound, missed by many, with the very members that made it happen before. Yeah, it probably won't be what it would have been had they decided to follow through with this 15 years ago, but assuming they come anywhere close and/or meet the minimum expectations anyone could have at this point, I will be a happy, satisfied fan of Stratovarius. It seems like I've been waiting for this for years.

Hits total: 9154 | This month: 1