02. Are You Dead Yet?
03. If You Want Peace... Prepare For War
04. Punch Me I Bleed
05. In Your Face
06. Next In Line
07. Bastards Of Bodom
08. Trashed, Lost & Strungout
09. We're Not Gonna Fall

I'm going to show my incredible foretelling powers here and tell you right from the get-go that there's going to be like a thousand comments from kids aiming right at my neck trying to understand why the hell I gave such a low rating to the best album of the year from the best band of the world: Children Of Bodom? Yeah, sure.

I used to like this band (if you don't believe me, read my "Something Wild" review), but after their third album all went downhill for me and these Finns. I bet someone in the band realized that they were popular now and they decided to turn their sound towards the masses (i.e. kids attending Ozzfest and such).

I can't do anything else rather than ask myself, what happened with this band? Where did the madness, the amazing riffs and the awesome keyboards went? What happened with the neoclassical leads and the fierce shrieks? The only thing I found was bland vocals, lame choruses and unexciting song-writing. Truly disappointing, sure I wish I was dead after hearing this boring album.

Everything in Children Of Bodom is getting old by now, the brainless lyrics and laughable song titles were funny at first, but now they've become unbearable. The Ripper mascot is another thing that I'm tired of, and again, it was funny at first with the different colors for each album, but now the ripper is totally uninteresting and tedious!

In a nutshell, this album does nothing for me, and if it does for you, you're a trend-victim, Children Of Bodom is an over-hyped, overrated act by all means! If you like Finnish extreme metal go grab the new Norther or new Kalmah instead. Phew, that was almost therapeutic, now kids, fire away, shoot me with all you can, I can take it. And just to add some fuel to the fire, Children Of Bodom sucks!

Written by Undercraft | 11.03.2006

Comments

Comments: 89   Visited by: 384 users
18.07.2006 - 04:26
RazorOfTheLight
Account deleted
Whew I thought I was the only one who thought the new CD was bad, plus I'm not too fond of Kalmah's new CD the Black Waltz either but I was still more proud of that over this.
18.07.2006 - 09:44
Rating: 6
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Mmm dont really think much of this album, definalty far from their best but its still ok. An average effort by CoB on the first listen and my thoughts on it havent changed much since then.

Also i hate one of the keyboard parts on the title track... i keep thinking the home phone is ringing haha.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
19.07.2006 - 04:47
Rating: 7
Stigmatized
The more I listened to it, the more I didn't like it. A couple of catchy songs, but that's about it.
19.07.2006 - 06:05
Rating: 8
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by [user id=2371] on 18.07.2006 at 04:26

Whew I thought I was the only one who thought the new CD was bad, plus I'm not too fond of Kalmah's new CD the Black Waltz either but I was still more proud of that over this.

Why are you still comparing Kalmah to CoB?? They have grown further and further apart, and this is shown clearly by both these band's latest albums.
20.07.2006 - 07:53
Asat0r
Am I one of the only people that actually really like this album? At first I hated it, but the more I listened to it, the more I grew to love it.
20.07.2006 - 11:26
Rating: 8
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Yeah I thought it was cool, it's different, and once you get past that it grows on you.
20.07.2006 - 15:02
Damnated
Churchburner
Well, it didn't grew on me, I hated it. The Britney Spears cover didn't make it better. Maybe if they covered 'Hit me one more time'
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
20.07.2006 - 15:05
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Not so much 'kids'. You scared them away.

Didn't like it either, never cared about CoB anyway.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
20.07.2006 - 23:43
Mordack
Account deleted
I was pretty disappointed when I heard this as well. Follow the Reaper will always be their best work.
22.07.2006 - 08:56
Rating: 7
Robstar
I did like it afterwards listening several times (many) much more technical but less aggressive!
Of course not the best COB album!
I got al their stuff and their old shit rocks!
Specially their famous ''Something Wild'' and ''Hatebreeder''
Anyway, It is a good album but it didn't fullfilled all the expectatives!
Stay Extreme People!
----
Nothing is unreacheable
25.07.2006 - 20:03
Svelte
Account deleted
Written by Asat0r on 20.07.2006 at 07:53

Am I one of the only people that actually really like this album? At first I hated it, but the more I listened to it, the more I grew to love it.

Me too!
I can understand why so many of you didn't like it, but honestly I enjoy this album almost as much as the other ones.
Okay, the lyrics suck, okay the voice changed, okay the sound changed too, but there is still some awesome solos and crazy riffs.
I'd give this album something like 8. though it's my personnal opinion.

Oh and by the way, author, your 'ripper' is spelled REAPER. But it doesn't matter, I understood anyway
02.08.2006 - 17:02
DLMokoma
Account deleted
I like the beginning in Living Dead Beat and some parts of If You Want Peace... Prepare For War. That's about it. Everything else is quite boring for me...
11.08.2006 - 03:00
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
Oh jeeeebus dont get me started on this piece of crap...

I thought In Flames dropped the ball when they released their last two albums and maybe they were kinda proud of the astounding lack of "awesomeness" they captured (not that they sound even remotely like Bodom but anyway)....but damn why did Children of Bodom have to respond with such a neatly formed piece of shit of their own!? Sucks how some of the best bands Ive loved for so long have suddenly lost the will to be good...
11.08.2006 - 12:47
Rating: 10
marinBG
I've been a hardcore COB fan since Hatebreeder... Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper are still my favourite 2 albums ever... HCDr disappointed me a bit, but Are You Dead Yet? rocks so much... I really love the new stuff... and I think i'm as much of a trend victim as Undercraft... the only difference is that i'm victim of the nu trend, while he is a victim of the be-tr00 trend, which I think is even lamer!
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
25.08.2006 - 15:39
Basso
Account deleted
Written by marinBG on 11.08.2006 at 12:47

and I think i'm as much of a trend victim as Undercraft... the only difference is that i'm victim of the nu trend, while he is a victim of the be-tr00 trend, which I think is even lamer!

Are you sure its his be tr00 trend that makes this album suck? Actually not its the songwriting that suck, no matter how you look at it, it gets worse and worse for each listen. Bah Follow The Reaper is the top of their discography!
29.08.2006 - 09:26
Rating: 10
marinBG
ok, if you don't like the songwriting, it's ok... everyone has his taste... but i think it's stupid to get trends involved in judging music... you either like it, or not... if you don't like the songwriting on this one, I love it... and you cannot prove me wrong, and i can't prove you wrong, because it's all subjective... so people should keep that in mind while writing reviews... that's it... and I agree... Follow The Reaper is still a bit better than this one...
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
10.09.2006 - 09:25
RazorOfTheLight
Account deleted
hmm Ive been listening to the new CD and I mean its not a complete disaster. I mean what really makes it so much worse? Its the same style still just not as vibrant as before, but the core is still there. BTW latly ive been slightly swayed by the trends of such new Deathcore bands such as All Shall Perish - The Price Of Existence and the new All That Remians - Fall Of Ideals CD... So maybe my opinion isnt respected... haha I just listen to alot of music considering i have more songs than you could imagine...
10.09.2006 - 09:36
Rating: 6
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I think people dislike this album because it is their slowest release yet, but it is their heaviest. Also, Alexi's vocals aren't as good as they used to be.
11.09.2006 - 00:49
Sethaios
Account deleted
omg....ok i wont even bother comment Undercrafts flaming article...but guys..ok COB changed over the past years their sound.BUT evolution is ALWAYS part of an artist's life.This album is different...HATE CREW DEATHROLL was different,comparing this album with any other before i stupid.i first hated the album and now i believe its moderate.STILL it has so much anger so many outbursts..its really pathetic condemnig a band so easily and using all the time the accusation ''its trendy'' TT for you
11.09.2006 - 03:31
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I don't know what you all have against it.
Sure, their playing style has changed a bit,
I'd even go as far as sayin that it's
their worst album, But it's still Pretty good,
I still like it a lot.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
01.10.2006 - 23:45
xXx
Account deleted
best CoB album... i dont know i just like it...
08.11.2006 - 17:10
PetR
Account deleted
well, until 2004 i was a great CoB fan... i liked everything in CoB... after listening Are you dead yet, i was very disappointed, the best song on it is the britney spears cover! but after listening a few more times i realised: knowing that it is a CoB album, it is really lame... but for any other band it would be ok... alexi learned some more music theory and can play more complex themes... (complex, not fast). so i say it is not that bad, but still the biggest letdown 2005!
20.11.2006 - 09:32
Rating: 5
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
what a big let down. like holy crap...ive never wanted my 14 bucks back so bad in my life. Bodom didnt just go down hill on this one, they seemed to crash and burn on this one. say goodbye to the bodom we all know and love people.......well im not sure, every bodom album sounds different so theres a chance for improvement i guess....but dont count on it. though i have to admit that 'living deadbeat' is a good set opener.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
20.11.2006 - 16:56
Keoren
Account deleted
I was very disappointed with this album. Let's just hope for them to get back on their old level in the future release(s).
23.11.2006 - 03:37
northerfreak
Account deleted
o my god fuck this album COB used to have charisma but this is fucking horrible i hate it
23.11.2006 - 07:10
KrÖw
Account deleted
okay I love Bodom I think Alexi is a fucking god, and if you read more magazines like Guitar world it says right in there that Alexi wanted to try different singing sytles with different guitar riffs, I love this album along with the others, its different like the other cds, plus the lyrics are great and yes catchy, but still it's great
30.11.2006 - 21:46
Keoren
Account deleted
Written by [user id=17828] on 20.11.2006 at 16:56

I was very disappointed with this album. Let's just hope for them to get back on their old level in the future release(s).

I've now given the album a second chance. I must admit that the songs have grown on me a bit and instead of disliking them, I have been able to start enjoying them.

This does however not change the fact I want the old style back. It's still several times better than this.
09.12.2006 - 05:25
buttsechs
Account deleted
It's difficult for me to be able to deal with the tragic downfall of Children of Bodom. They've turned into complete shit these last years. First it was Hate Crew now this? So sad. Breaks my heart to see Alexi Laiho playing such crap. Everything that came after Follow the Reaper isn't Children of Bodom at all but a piece of stinky garbage indeed. Kalmah has the throne. =) Even Norther's playing better than CoB now. What's that about? And Alexi Laiho's attitude is getting stupider and stupider day by day. That little "bad boy" attitude is quite annoying. I bet he's doing it to please the mainstream, LMFAO!
09.12.2006 - 18:14
Soliloquy
/\ he acutally is doing that. he was saying that Dream Theatre sucks, and they dont make music. in many cases, its pertrucci who is more famous than dream theater, and so to say anything about dream theater, you say shit about petrucci automatically.

but either way, i havent gotten this album. but to be honest, i'm liking some of the work from this album. now i'm not a person to burn music, but for this, i might make an exception. its nothing worthy of buying. but something worth ripping....
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
25.12.2006 - 14:59
blackthornchick
Account deleted
I Like the album... personal opinion. Maybe not as good as some of there older stuff, but tis my kind of thing!
I prefere some singing to grincore vocals all the time.
I the odd guitra riff amazing as well, although some of it is rather repitive
and The drumming is awesome.
My opinion, probably about 7 out of 10
not amazing but not as bad as you lot are making out!
Keep it metal
XXX:bow:

Hits total: 14942 | This month: 15