Metal Storm logo
Best Old School Thrash Metal singer

Original post

Posted by ToMegaTherion, 29.10.2009 - 05:14
This is a genre that is much less to do with the vocalist and much more to go with the guitar work. But still, what do you look for in an old thrash singer?
Passion, Range, Control, Tone, Style, Image... I suppose it is a much different style to other metal styles of singing, and definitely an art in itself.

I would vote for Chuck Billy, largely because he encompasses most of the other thrash styles in one. Whereas the other tend to master one or two aspects and restrict what they can do otherwise.

Poll

Best Old Thrash Voice

Chuck Billy (Testament)
James Hetfield (Metallica)
Tom Araya (Slayer)
Other (Please Specify)
Joey Belladonna (ex Anthrax)
Bobby "blitz" Ellsworth (Overkill)
Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)
Paul Baloff (Exodus, Hirax, Heathen)
Mark Osegueda (Death Angel)

Total votes: 132
12.09.2010 - 03:51
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by bloodwrage on 19.11.2009 at 18:37

Why is Mustaine on this list? His own mother hates his voice.

No she doesn't, she actually enjoys listening to him singing.
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
12.09.2010 - 10:05
Reza
Account deleted
Tom Araya.
12.09.2010 - 13:24
Bastarex
I voted for Tom Araya (Slayer), comes in close on a second place; Other: Guido Gevels (Cyclone)
12.09.2010 - 15:36
RavenKing
Mille Petrozza on Kreator's 80s stuff.
(I wonder why he is not in the poll)

When it comes to Thrash, I usually hate vocals. I like only the most extreme kind of vocals in this genre. To give you an idea, the only one I like on that list is Tom Araya (on older material).
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
12.09.2010 - 16:26
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by RavenKing on 12.09.2010 at 15:36

Mille Petrozza on Kreator's 80s stuff.
(I wonder why he is not in the poll)

When it comes to Thrash, I usually hate vocals. I like only the most extreme kind of vocals in this genre. To give you an idea, the only one I like on that list is Tom Araya (on older material).

My thoughts exactly ... i voted Tom araya when i couldnt find petrozza
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
18.02.2011 - 20:32
Phantom Lord
James Hetfield
19.02.2011 - 01:29
Thunderhead
Well, hard to say. As a real singer, i think we have to think about interpretation, range, potency of the voice, thecnic, etc...
In that case, James Hetfield (Mainlty on The Black album) is the better vocalist.
But for the harsh, agressive, stunning metal vocals (and even sometimes a good "melodic" singer, i go for:
Chucky Billy from Testament.
----
"You may got money, and can buy anything you want. But there's a thing you will never be able to buy. It's a dinossaur!" - Homer J.Simpson
19.02.2011 - 16:37
marouco
Voted James Hetfield...but only until the and justice...than the guy sings and it's not good XD
19.02.2011 - 18:01
RavenKing
Written by Thunderhead on 19.02.2011 at 01:29

Well, hard to say. As a real singer, i think we have to think about interpretation, range, potency of the voice, thecnic, etc...
In that case, James Hetfield (Mainlty on The Black album) is the better vocalist.

I think Hetfield never had any vocal talent. He only has a low-pitched, very boring voice.
And he quite simply sucks nowadays (vocals on "Death Magnetic" are awful).
----
19.02.2011 - 22:17
Thunderhead
Written by RavenKing on 19.02.2011 at 18:01

Written by Thunderhead on 19.02.2011 at 01:29

I think Hetfield never had any vocal talent. He only has a low-pitched, very boring voice.
And he quite simply sucks nowadays (vocals on "Death Magnetic" are awful).

I'm not saying about highness or nothing like that in voice. In Black album his voice sounds pretty good for the songs. Very melodic and melancoly in the ballads, and pretty good and a little agressive (not too much) in the heaviest songs.
For me what makes a good vocalist is the interpretation, not his range.

But i agree nowdays hes not so good anymore.
----
"You may got money, and can buy anything you want. But there's a thing you will never be able to buy. It's a dinossaur!" - Homer J.Simpson
19.02.2011 - 22:18
JD
Account deleted
Max Cavalera, but from this list i will go with James or Tom
21.02.2011 - 01:59
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Bobby Blitz all the way. I'm surprised so many people think Tom is so great, hes fine, but nothing extraordinary...
21.02.2011 - 02:05
RavenKing
Written by [user id=111774] on 21.02.2011 at 01:59

Bobby Blitz all the way. I'm surprised so many people think Tom is so great, hes fine, but nothing extraordinary...

I'm more surprised to see Ellsworth on this list, as he's an awful vocalist, from my point of view + he's in a band who has always been seen as second-rate.
----
21.02.2011 - 02:09
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 21.02.2011 at 02:05

I'm more surprised to see Ellsworth on this list, as he's an awful vocalist, from my point of view.

Well, to each his own. Its not my fault that you have no soul. Bobby Blitz is one of the main reasons why I love Overkill so much. Can't exactly point out what about it I like so much though...

EDIT: And Overkill is not seen as second rate... They aren't as commercially successful as most of the other bands on the list(I think they're bigger then Death Angel) But as we should all know, record sales are irrelevant to how good a band is.
21.02.2011 - 03:07
RavenKing
Written by [user id=111774] on 21.02.2011 at 02:09

I'm more surprised to see Ellsworth on this list, as he's an awful vocalist, from my point of view.

Well, to each his own. Its not my fault that you have no soul. Bobby Blitz is one of the main reasons why I love Overkill so much. Can't exactly point out what about it I like so much though...

EDIT: And Overkill is not seen as second rate... They aren't as commercially successful as most of the other bands on the list(I think they're bigger then Death Angel) But as we should all know, record sales are irrelevant to how good a band is.

About Ellsworth: My opinion is of course subjective and a matter of taste. I don't like his style.

As for Overkill being a second-rate band, I didn't mean it only in terms of sales but I also believe lots of people don't consider them a top notch band in terms of quality and believe the best albums from the other bands on the list are better than any Overkill album.
Overkill is not among the most renowned Thrash bands. For example, bands like Kreator and Sodom are not on the list, yet they're most likely more renowned than Overkill.
I agree on them being probably bigger than Death Angel.
----
21.02.2011 - 04:14
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 21.02.2011 at 03:07

About Ellsworth: My opinion is of course subjective and a matter of taste. I don't like his style.

As for Overkill being a second-rate band, I didn't mean it only in terms of sales but I also believe lots of people don't consider them a top notch band in terms of quality and believe the best albums from the other bands on the list are better than any Overkill album.
Overkill is not among the most renowned Thrash bands. For example, bands like Kreator and Sodom are not on the list, yet they're most likely more renowned than Overkill.
I agree on them being probably bigger than Death Angel.

Odd, I've generally heard of Overkill being among the most well regarded thrash bands, by thrashers that is. But, I recall seeing you post that you were into metal back in the 80's and would know more about the bands popular opinion then me. Either way, I still rank Overkill in a tie for number one with Megadeth in my list of favorite thrash bands. But hey, to each his own
24.02.2011 - 23:43
TrollandDie
I'm going to pick Hetfield.
I feel like I need to specify that I'm not a Metallica fanboy (well at least not any more) and am picking him on how distinct his voice is.

That trademark accent escaping from his mouth affecting every word he said is a major factor into what got me into metal in the first place.
In my opinion he also has the best combination of 'melodic' and 'extreme' vocals of anybody on the list that works relatively well.

I guess in terms of who had the best voice in terms of octive ranges and who could hit a high note for the longest it would probably be somebody different-probably Belladona-but technicalities don't really matter in a genre where vocals aren't really a large emphasis to begin with.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
24.02.2011 - 23:55
Aeonfrost
Voted for chuck billy,great vocalist,although i wanted to vote for petrozza.Chuck, imo perfectly fits into testaments brand of music.If there was robert flynn, i maybe wud have voted for him,but i dunno many wud call machine head a full thrash metal band.
25.02.2011 - 03:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Wouldn't pick Hetfield even if someone paid me. I'd go with Angelripper most likely. Agent Orange is just too good for me to pick anyone else, although Zetro from Exodus is definitely worth a mention.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.02.2011 - 21:04
BrokenKnuckles
FUCKIN SLAAAAAAAAAYER!!!
26.02.2011 - 00:28
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Written by Malphas on 19.02.2011 at 17:46

Tough decision between Tom Araya and Chuck Billy, but for me it's Chuck since Testament is my fav thrash band xD

Same, Chuck Billy has the perfect voice for the music they play. Tom is definitely second, perfect voice for thrash in general.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
06.03.2011 - 08:21
Yojimbo
Hetfield, but only before 1990. After that I would say he is probably the worst.
08.03.2011 - 04:28
Sonic MrSumo
Hetfield, but only on albums up to and including Metallica.

Current day best thrash vocalist would go to Chuck Billy.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
11.03.2011 - 05:04
barcano1
I've voted for other vocalist.
I like the voice of Phil Anselmo.
Although Pantera is not only play thrash metal, but the "Cowboys from hell" is a classical thrash metal album.
----
"Nothing lasts forever.
Everything is dust in the wind..."

For rock music: Siemens SL45 + Sony MDR-E737LP/Grado SR80 \m/
22.03.2011 - 08:36
Yasmine

I agree, hes one of the only singers here that uses vibrato making him actually the skilled one of the bunch. Not on the list. Cyrus/hall, Agent steel.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
12.08.2011 - 15:14
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
The dude from Overkill sounds very cool. Proves that not only harsh vocalists work with thrash.
12.08.2011 - 17:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by [user id=119833] on 12.08.2011 at 15:14
Proves that not only harsh vocalists work with thrash.

Actually I think Toxik proved that better than anyone else.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.08.2011 - 17:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.08.2011 at 17:06

Written by [user id=119833] on 12.08.2011 at 15:14
Proves that not only harsh vocalists work with thrash.

Actually I think Toxik proved that better than anyone else.

which one of the two vocalists?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.08.2011 - 17:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.08.2011 at 17:07

Sanders more so than Sabin, but it's not like he was growling into the mic either.
----
12.08.2011 - 17:29
fabregassed
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.08.2011 at 17:10

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.08.2011 at 17:07

Sanders more so than Sabin, but it's not like he was growling into the mic either.

Eric Knutson does it better than both imo.