Metal Storm logo
Burzum - New Album In Spring 2010, Album Title Changed

Original news, posted on 20.11.2009

Varg has posted the following news item on burzum.org (excerpt):

"The coming album is called "Den Hvite Guden" (The White God) and is a musical and lyrical description of the the White God (alias Apollon, Baldr, Belenus, Belus, Bragi, Byelobog, Jarilo, et cetera) and the annual events of his life. I describe the stories of the myths like they could have been before they were myths, by presenting to You bits and pieces of the sorcery and religion of ancient Europe (more elaborately described in my unpublished book "Trolldom og Religion i Oldtidens Skandinavia" [Sorcery and Religion in Ancient Scandinavia]). It is not intended for play the "low-brow metal" style, but instead I imagine a listener willing to sit down, ideally in solitude, and think for a minute, about the White God and our forebears, whether they were Picto-British, Finnish, Gallic, Greek, Roman, Scandinavian, Scytho-Slavic, Daco-Thrakian or whatever, and about their magnificent, intelligent, positive, beautiful, healthy and strong culture."

For the full news item, click here.

UPDATE

Varg Vikernes has issued the following update:

"When I used the name "The White God" for my next album I had no idea it would stir up so much fear and irrational emotions. To me this is just a nickname of Baldur, whom the album is all about. No ambiguity intended. The truth is I announced the release of The White God at this early point to ease the pressure on the burzum.org host. He was getting tired of having to tell individuals contacting him that he didn't know when the next album would be due, what its name was going to be or anything else. With the article this problem was solved.

With a title including the word "white" it apparently isn't possible to slip under the radar of the racist "Western" media. To take away their excuse to spread their anti-Varg/anti-Burzum hate-propaganda when (and before) the album is released I have decided to change the album title. These self-loathing fools have no interest in the music anyway, and because of that I don't want their attention - and I won't get it if I use a title that doesn't give them an excuse to attack me.

The new title of the album is, as you might have guessed from the title of this article, Belus, the so-called Indo-European name for Baldur/the White God. I could have used any European name for this deity, but I chose this one because it is the oldest known name and because it is pan-European.

Belus will be released on Byelobog Productions March-April next year, with eleven new tracks; nine metal tracks and an ambient intro and outro, and about 50+ minutes of music (the long outro not included). The lyrics are all in Norwegian, but French and Russian translations will be available on burzum.org asap -- possibly even before the release of the album."

Source: burzum.org
Band profile: Burzum
Posted: 03.12.2009 by Glabrezu

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 70   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 433 users
20.11.2009 - 14:02
Warman
Erotic Stains
Hell yes! Even though that sounded kinda lame, I am so eager to hear this.
----
20.11.2009 - 15:21
Baz Anderson
Staff
I've not really bothered with any of his previous albums...
20.11.2009 - 15:23
-N-
I'm waiting for the album...
20.11.2009 - 15:54
Hamird
Lieutenant
It would be so interesting.. Although I didn't expect him to release an album so early.. But it seems he worked on the concept when he was in jail and he only worked on them musically after he'd released..
20.11.2009 - 16:27
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
An album about something positive and healthy?
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
20.11.2009 - 16:35
AbdelioR
Will see what happen with this work..
----
97. Keep your Gore level down for your friends, you're still a social being.
20.11.2009 - 16:37
Black_Handed
A village idiot
White god? seriously? what a suprise varg
----

Cryptic Bleak Smurf of Ur
20.11.2009 - 17:36
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight

this image shortly appeared on Burzum's official site yesterday...today it rather claims "no official image available"
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

20.11.2009 - 18:21
Jiri
Can't fuckin' wait!
20.11.2009 - 18:46
Black_Handed
A village idiot
Written by Ellrohir on 20.11.2009 at 17:36

this image shortly appeared on Burzum's official site yesterday...today it rather claims "no official image available"

i can tell why . wasnt he imprisoned for murder related to the behaviour depicted here? )))) 2 ironies (the title too) out of one news article wow!
----

Cryptic Bleak Smurf of Ur
20.11.2009 - 19:15
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Already knew that =X
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
20.11.2009 - 19:30
DoomGuard
I hadn't seen that the picture was updated so when i first saw the picture I had to keep from laughing, its kinda like he was caught off guard lol

let's see what Varg has to offer about this "White God", anyone else read on this stuff? Just Varg?
20.11.2009 - 19:44
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I am still waiting for his concept album based upon the Care Bears movie.
----
(space for rent)
20.11.2009 - 19:52
Magatouve
Account deleted
This is racist stuff... I just read the whole statement. Racists when they pretend to be sophisticated, like our fellow here, do not sound disgusting only, but also dumb. What is this Euro-centric crap about "the White God and our forebears, whether they were Picto-British, Finnish, Gallic, Greek, Roman, Scandinavian, Scytho-Slavic, Daco-Thrakian or whatever"? Why this group particularly? I understand that a Norwegian guy like him may identify with the Vikings or the Germanic tribes in general, but why the Finns, Greeks, Romans, Gallic? What about Huns, Mongols, Arabs, Persians, Turks, who all invaded parts of Europe during different times (settled, raped women, had offspring, etc.) much like Europeans did with other parts of the world? I admire people who, without racism, identify with the ancient cultures of their own countries, but why would you identify with "white" culture only? Especially when you use words like "Negro" in a racist meaning in your statement. Fuck that shit!
20.11.2009 - 20:17
ASOM
Meh...he doesn't seem to think too hard about things like that. I don't like the racism at all, but I like his music. I just hope the new album's good.
20.11.2009 - 20:35
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by Guest on 20.11.2009 at 19:52

This is racist stuff... I just read the whole statement. Racists when they pretend to be sophisticated, like our fellow here, do not sound disgusting only, but also dumb. What is this Euro-centric crap about "the White God and our forebears, whether they were Picto-British, Finnish, Gallic, Greek, Roman, Scandinavian, Scytho-Slavic, Daco-Thrakian or whatever"? Why this group particularly? I understand that a Norwegian guy like him may identify with the Vikings or the Germanic tribes in general, but why the Finns, Greeks, Romans, Gallic? What about Huns, Mongols, Arabs, Persians, Turks, who all invaded parts of Europe during different times (settled, raped women, had offspring, etc.) much like Europeans did with other parts of the world? I admire people who, without racism, identify with the ancient cultures of their own countries, but why would you identify with "white" culture only? Especially when you use words like "Negro" in a racist meaning in your statement. Fuck that shit!

Obviously he's a racist, but he chose all of those gods because they are all basically the same and are from similar geographic areas of the ancient world, which all happened to influence each other mythologically so it sort of makes sense. The Huns and Mongols arrived too late in Europe to have any real effect on mythology and he includes gods that are Assyrian and Scythian, both of which are Middle Eastern people, i.e. non-European.
20.11.2009 - 20:46
Thanntos
Yea I read the whole article/announcement as well and I have to say this guy is a massive douche to the fullest extent. What a piece of shit. Never really was into his music tbh either, has a couple good albums.
----
I will kill you so hard you will die to death.
20.11.2009 - 21:05
BlankFile
Man he sure sounds different...
20.11.2009 - 23:00
TheBigRossowski
I'll definitely still check it out!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
20.11.2009 - 23:13
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Gah gah gah really happy to hear this!
20.11.2009 - 23:20
Murder
Humm...

20.11.2009 - 23:29
Kinzoku
Sounds lame, how disappointing.
21.11.2009 - 00:02
Symmachus
It was interesting to read. I didn't like the discriminatory remark(s), but in some parts, he did sound like he knew what he was talking about. I wonder why he thinks that attitude toward the modern black metal scene. I'll make up my mind later if I want to check the upcoming album out. I've heard Burzum material, and some of the songs are pretty well done.
21.11.2009 - 00:06
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Symmachus on 21.11.2009 at 00:02

... modern black metal scene ...

we call it a "Laf" dont know english word unfortunately. just a big word, screamy.
21.11.2009 - 03:32
Magatouve
Account deleted
Written by Marcus on 20.11.2009 at 20:35

Written by Guest on 20.11.2009 at 19:52

Obviously he's a racist, but he chose all of those gods because they are all basically the same and are from similar geographic areas of the ancient world, which all happened to influence each other mythologically so it sort of makes sense. The Huns and Mongols arrived too late in Europe to have any real effect on mythology and he includes gods that are Assyrian and Scythian, both of which are Middle Eastern people, i.e. non-European.

I agree that there might be similarities between the gods he included, but the similarities are not restricted to those gods. There are many non-European gods which are similar to those gods, but he chose to restrict himself to the "white gods", i.e. European gods. His choice of the name "white god" itself is in my opinion not innocent.
I'm not sure he included an Assyrian god in his list. Although "Belus" is a Greek version of the Semitic word "Ba'al", which means "lord" and is applied to many Semitic gods and kings, "Belus" is also another name for the Celtic god Belenus. I personally suspect that he is referring to a "white" Celtic god rather than a "brown-skinned" Assyrian god. Even his reference to the Scythians as "Scytho-Slavic" indicates he has a European meaning in mind.
Finally, you are right the Huns and the Mongols arrived fairly late, but the influence of other cultures on European culture was not only through war and raping women as I indicated earlier. Adonis, the celebrated Greek god, is actually Semitic in origin. His name itself is Semitic and means "lord" too. Greek mythology shares with Canaanite mythology more than it shares with the Germanic mythology. But for a guy like Varg he sees only the "white gods" to be similar to each other and this is my objection, specially when he insists on using racist language in the same statement and on referring to all Europeans as having the same ancient culture and the same forebears, which is not true.
This is my opinion...
21.11.2009 - 03:34
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
Awesome.
----
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire
21.11.2009 - 06:45
Nyxgrinder
Written by Baz Anderson on 20.11.2009 at 15:21

I've not really bothered with any of his previous albums...

some songs are worth to cover, they sound good live................
21.11.2009 - 06:46
Nyxgrinder
Written by Black_Handed on 20.11.2009 at 16:37

White god? seriously? what a suprise varg

do not judge him.............the name was random.......just sound as white zombie ha ha
21.11.2009 - 08:17
I hope this album fails miserably.
21.11.2009 - 17:14
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Nightmare_Heaven on 21.11.2009 at 08:17

I hope this album fails miserably.

why?

Hits total: 9162 | This month: 14