Metal Storm logo
Dio - Dio Diagnosed With Stomach Cancer, Update

Wendy Dio, the wife and manager of legendary heavy metal vocalist Ronnie James Dio (Dio, Heaven And Hell, Black Sabbath, Rainbow), has released the following statement:

"Ronnie has been diagnosed with the early stages of stomach cancer. We are starting treatment immediately at the Mayo Clinic. After he kills this dragon, Ronnie will be back on stage, where he belongs, doing what he loves best, performing for his fans.

Long live rock and roll, long live Ronnie James Dio. Thanks to all the friends and fans from all over the world that have sent well wishes. This has really helped to keep his spirit up."

Ronnie James Dio, 67, has performed with Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, and his own band Dio. Other musical projects include the collective fundraiser "Hear 'n Aid". He is widely hailed as one of the most powerful singers in heavy metal, renowned for his consistently powerful voice and for popularizing the "devil's horns" hand gesture in metal culture. He is currently involved with Heaven And Hell, a project which also includes former Black Sabbath bandmates Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Vinny Appice. Their first studio album, The Devil You Know, was released on April 28, 2009.

Dio cancelled its European tour last week after Ronnie was taken ill. The band's lineup for the trek was supposed to include Whitesnake/ex-Dio axeman Doug Aldrich due to the fact that the group's regular guitarist, Craig Goldy, had prior touring commitments with Budgie in Australia.

UPDATED on 11.12.2009

Here is an update from Wendy Dio on Ronnie's battle with stomach cancer:

"Well, it has been a very exhausting month - after all the neverending tests in Los Angeles, we flew to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, and as soon as we arrived, we got a call from the MD Anderson Hospital that they had an appointment for us with the doctor we originally wanted, so we then flew to Houston to the clinic, and of course MORE tests, but Ronnie finished receiving his first chemo treatment on Wednesday, and all is going very well.

I would like to thank Tony Martell from the T.J. Martell Foundation, Dr. Stuart Aaronson from Mount Sinai, Lindsay Brown and Mike Carden from Eagle Records, and our very own Dr. Sandeep Kapoor, for all your help in getting us into MD Anderson, and also our friends Geezer and Gloria Butler, who flew to Houston to be with Ronnie while he had his chemo.

Ronnie and I are totally overwhelmed by the amount of well wishes that we have received from friends and fans - we are reading them all. Some make us laugh, some make us cry, but all of them are so filled with love that it gives us so much support and makes Ronnie even more determined to fight this battle and win. Thank you all for the positive energy and prayers."

In the meantime, Heaven And Hell are confirmed to play the Sonisphere festivals in Sweden, Finland and Czech Republic, as well as the Nova Rock festival in Austria.

UPDATE (thanks to Holy Man)

Here's another update on Dio's health situation:

"After a few hiccups between Christmas and New Year's, such as a blood clot, a trip to the emergency room, and a three day stay at the hospital, we had a quiet holiday spent with family and close friends. Ronnie and I just returned from Houston, where Ronnie had his third chemo treatment, and all seems to be going well. Ronnie and Simon Wright went to see Avatar, which he thought was amazing! He has also been writing more chapters for his book.

We would like to thank Simon Wright, who has been such a help with everything and a good, good friend, of course our doctor at MD Anderson, Dr. Ajani, and especially our family doctor, Dr. Sandeep Kapoor, without whose quick diagnosis and help with all the nurses and hospitals, we would be lost. His care and compassion is unwavering.

Thanks again to all of Ronnie's friends and fans, and - by the way - Ronnie has not lost any hair yet!"

You can read the full update here.

Source: ronniejamesdio.com
Band profile: Dio
Posted: 15.01.2010 by Jeff

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 102   [ 7 ignored ]   Visited by: 675 users
26.11.2009 - 00:06
Jeff
Freaky Admin
Elite
Get well Ronnie, and slay that shit.
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!
26.11.2009 - 00:09
Warman
Erotic Stains
No! This is horrible! 2009 hasn't been a good year for musicians! Get well Ronnie!
----
26.11.2009 - 00:12
R.I.Pdeadlegends
Account deleted
Cancer at that age is pretty shitty... My wishes go to you Dio
26.11.2009 - 00:24
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
There is.... No turning back. Dio officially has a, Death Sentence.
----
Coldgrits
26.11.2009 - 00:29
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
That's pretty nasty...

Hope he'll get well soon(/at all), he's a great musician
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
26.11.2009 - 00:30
Magatouve
Account deleted
Will he retire? I was expecting to see him in London yesterday but the gig got cancelled.... He's really such an iconic figure in metal... the master of the Devil's horns, all respect
26.11.2009 - 00:38
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I don't like the sounds of this. I really want to see him perform live at least one more time. Hopefully the treatment will clear it up...
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.11.2009 - 00:45
Symmachus
Crap, Ronnie James Dio has stomach cancer. That really sucks. I hope he recovers from this but yeah, mortality is the fate of everyone. He is one of the legends of metal. Long live Ronnie James Dio!

By the way, I'm listening to Shame On the Night currently in response to this.
26.11.2009 - 00:47
sbgmetal
Not Dio! metal gods cant die...
26.11.2009 - 00:50
Metal Maiden
Megadead
Nooooo, I knew it...The long silence after he got hospitalized, I new it was no good...
GOD, I pray we won't witness anything like what happened to Chuck Schuldiner EVER again...
2009 has been a terrible year not only for musicians...David Caradaine...Patrick Swayze...Michael Jackson...It's so sad... Legends should not die...ever...And what's really sad is that I realize how selfish I am while saying this... I only hope it really IS in an early stage...cause it's not like someone would announce it otherwise...God, Freddy Mercury died only one day after admitting publicly he had AIDS...

Get better Ronnie James Dio, the voice of metal, one of the greatest musicians ever...
Please, get better...
26.11.2009 - 00:56
Keiheji
Written by sbgmetal on 26.11.2009 at 00:47

Not Dio! metal gods cant die...

and they never will. so long as we hold praise for them. none the less, best wishes dio
26.11.2009 - 01:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Holly shit I hope eh eb ok, its earlys tage hope he be OK and docs get rid of it , he's still young n rocking
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.11.2009 - 01:03
That's terrible news. Get well soon my friend.
----
Brother will kill brother, Spilling blood across the land, Killing for religion, Something I don't understand
26.11.2009 - 01:15
Kingface
This is awful news. Get well soon Dio.
26.11.2009 - 02:03
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Hopefully Dio won't get fucked by cancer like so many other metal musicians who died of this horrible thing...
26.11.2009 - 02:08
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Oh my god!
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

26.11.2009 - 03:01
Dark Seraphim
Get well soon Dio, best wishes to you.
26.11.2009 - 03:22
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Good luck man...get well
----
rekt
26.11.2009 - 03:51
Amonisis
Viva El Dio!:banger:
26.11.2009 - 04:30
Stratowarrior
I wishing him the best luck, he is a tough fighter, get well man
----
power metal 'til death!!!!!!!!!
26.11.2009 - 05:00
tulkas
el parcero
Well, cancer is cancer. There's not much to do, so the important thing is he feels ok and probably even keep touring for a while.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
26.11.2009 - 05:05
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
He is a powerful man, and I am certain that he will overcome this adversity as well.
26.11.2009 - 06:30
Galar
Wicked Mung
Get well soon! metal needs you ronnie!!!
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
26.11.2009 - 06:36
MetalSpider
Hopefully he'll be alright m/

His wife did say early stages of stomach cancer...keyword being early. So hopefully the treatment will work and ronnie will have slayed this cancer!
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
26.11.2009 - 07:05
Baz Anderson
Staff
He has my best wishes.
26.11.2009 - 07:19
DIO Is God
Account deleted
Dio can and WILL fight through this. He is THE metal god, and he is probably the strongest person out there. If anyone can beat this disease it's Ronnie.
26.11.2009 - 07:46
BudDa
Elite
He'll beat it. The cancer is in its early stages and treatment has begun early. Fingers crossed
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
26.11.2009 - 08:23
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Meh. not sure what folks are worried about.

DIO >>>>>>>>> cancer.

m/
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
26.11.2009 - 09:25
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Lol "after he slays this dragon"

anyway it seems the man is made of some sort of noncorrosive steel seeing as how he performs like he does even at this age.
26.11.2009 - 10:06
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Well stomach cancer is very aggressive, but he has been diagnosed on an early stage, so hopefully he will get well sooner or later, surely he will, even with 67 years in his shoulders, he seems to have the energy of a young boy. Even if I'm not a great fan I hope he will win this battle, it doesn't matter who you are, cancer is a horrible disease
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"

Hits total: 12119 | This month: 17