09. Of Wolf And Man
10. The God That Failed
11. My Friend Of Misery
12. The Struggle Within
13. So What [Anti-Nowhere League cover] [Japanese bonus]

Guest review by
AnGina--
Rating:
Even though Metallica became more known to a wider audience in 1986 with the release of Master of Puppets, "The Black Album" (released in 1991) however, was the biggest break point for Metallica. It was praised by reviewers and musicians, it stunned many fans then and also now. With the "Black Album" their old thrashy sound was abandoned and Metallica was literally shot into superstardom. With commercial hits such as "Enter Sandman" and the widely known "Nothing Else Matters", Metallica's music became more and more accessible to radio stations and television. But as I said, I still believe it's a "must have". "The Black Album" was major break point in the rock music business and the influence of it and Metallica in general is just impossible not to notice. Not only does it differ musically from the previous four releases, this album is also lyrically much more personal and therefore occasionally softer. Still, Metallica hasn't lost their touch and the aggressive guitar sound is still there.

Read more ››
published 07.10.2006 | Comments (53)

Guest review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Like far too many people in this world, I was largely introduced to Metallica by their self-titled album, fueled by the super mega platinum #1 smash hit single "Enter Sandman." In fact, Metallica, known colloquially as "The Black Album" for its presumably Spinal Tap-inspired artwork, was, in fact, one of the first Metal albums that really resonated with me and warranted repeated listens. Even so, I cannot confess to having much of a sentimental connection with this album, because, after exploring the wide world of heavy metal and acquainting myself with REAL Metallica, it has become clear to me that this album is nothing special.

Read more ››
published 17.08.2012 | Comments (20)

Found in 106 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 6

Comments: 153   Visited by: 2515 users
04.03.2013 - 15:28
Rating: 9
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Egigantea on 04.03.2013 at 07:18

Enter Sandman

If you are talking about the song of that band Stone don't bother, the riff structure was actually quite different when Kirk came up with it and was modified later to how it is played on the album. And yeah, it ended up sounding pretty similar since they use the same notes, it's a pretty basic riff really.
04.03.2013 - 15:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Unhealer on 04.03.2013 at 15:28

Enter Sandman

If you are talking about the song of that band Stone don't bother, the riff structure was actually quite different when Kirk came up with it and was modified later to how it is played on the album. And yeah, it ended up sounding pretty similar since they use the same notes, it's a pretty basic riff really.

I think he is referring to Excel's Tapping INto The Emotional Void, which is a lot more similar, but imo also not similar enough to really call it stealing.
And that allegation of Metallica ripping off Stone I find extremely far-fetched. The main riff is so basic that my cousin, whoi doesn't listen to any metal and never has, could have come up with it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.03.2013 - 15:44
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.03.2013 at 15:35

The main riff is so basic that my cousin, whoi doesn't listen to any metal and never has, could have come up with it.

Exactly. if you start going through old undergrounds bands you will probably find ten more songs with a similar riff.
05.03.2013 - 03:24
Rating: 8
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
I can't imagine why Metallica would be motivated to steal another band's song anyway, unless the person making the allegation is saying it was unintentional? They were already quite successful, albeit nowhere near as big as they would become after the release of this album, and also talented song writers in their own right.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
05.03.2013 - 13:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Ace Frawley on 05.03.2013 at 03:24

and also talented song writers in their own right.

there I tend to beg to differ quite a bit when looking at And Justice For All.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.03.2013 - 16:01
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.03.2013 at 13:54

What? I think that album has some of the best songwriting by Metallica, even if that doesn't mean much. I mean, not that Metallica had impressive skills anywhere in their career, but I don't get why you target that album specifically having other far worse examples.
05.03.2013 - 16:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Unhealer on 05.03.2013 at 16:01

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.03.2013 at 13:54

What? I think that album has some of the best songwriting by Metallica, even if that doesn't mean much. I mean, not that Metallica had impressive skills anywhere in their career, but I don't get why you target that album specifically having other far worse examples.

the songs are generally too repetitive and too drawn out for their own good. ONly three good songs featured on that album.
By far their best song writing can be found on Ride The Lightning which is is also superior to that any of their contamporaries. Metallica were miles ahead of other bands in that day and age.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.03.2013 - 03:32
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.03.2013 at 16:13

the songs are generally too repetitive and too drawn out for their own good. ONly three good songs featured on that album.
By far their best song writing can be found on Ride The Lightning which is is also superior to that any of their contamporaries. Metallica were miles ahead of other bands in that day and age.

I really agree with you here. Metallica were a very significant band with the release of Lightning and Puppets but their creative juices reached a climax on these albums.
----
06.03.2013 - 10:24
Rating: 5
Egigantea
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.03.2013 at 15:35

Written by Unhealer on 04.03.2013 at 15:28

Enter Sandman

I think he is referring to Excel's Tapping INto The Emotional Void, which is a lot more similar, but imo also not similar enough to really call it stealing.
And that allegation of Metallica ripping off Stone I find extremely far-fetched. The main riff is so basic that my cousin, whoi doesn't listen to any metal and never has, could have come up with it.

Yes, I actually was referring to that song thanks. Although I admit it is a pretty basic riff I still think it's stolen.
Especially since it wouldn't be the first time Metallica's done it.
Welcome Home (Sanitarium) was actually a stolen song as well. Unlike Enter Sandman, Hetfield actually confirmed that he stole the riff but kept the band he took it from anonymous.

(it was Bleak House's "Rainbow Warrior" btw)
06.03.2013 - 11:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Egigantea on 06.03.2013 at 10:24

Yes, I actually was referring to that song thanks. Although I admit it is a pretty basic riff I still think it's stolen.
Welcome Home (Sanitarium) was actually a stolen song as well. Unlike Enter Sandman, Hetfield actually confirmed that he stole the riff but kept the band he took it from anonymous.

welcome to the world of music where every single band steals/borrows or does otherwise The biggest culprit of course being Led Zeppelin
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.03.2013 - 01:36
Rating: 7
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Last good Metallica album, but something is wrong well I dont like so much opening song, it i Metallica wersion abiut IM ''Bring Your Daughter'' same overated song, but this is better anyway
Here has 3 super good songs (some might say I am stupid and retarded) ''Wherever I May Room '', ''Unforgiven'' and ''Nothing Alse Metters''
rest are OK, but still this album is tricky, as much I like it because it is last what this band criate, what I acn listen. I mean last whot orginal matherial, but same time it dont works so much .... its overated in some way
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.03.2013 - 21:47
Rating: 5
Egigantea
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.03.2013 at 11:44

Written by Egigantea on 06.03.2013 at 10:24

welcome to the world of music where every single band steals/borrows or does otherwise The biggest culprit of course being Led Zeppelin

Or Elvis for that matter.
17.03.2013 - 00:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Egigantea on 16.03.2013 at 21:47

Or Elvis for that matter.

that guy especially, although he is outside the scope of this side
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.03.2013 - 23:42
squidrick420
Although this is by far not the best metal album in the world, I can safely say that it is the first i ever owned as a kid. When I was in the 2nd grade back in 1998, I was strongly influenced by Tony Hawks Pro Skater games which gave me my first experiences with metal and punk; ultimately this led me to metallica, and one day I bought the black album because it was metallica, and it was affordable lol. So this album is important to me because it opened the door to metal.
14.07.2013 - 01:44
Regolith
Even though I consider myself mostly an underground metaller, and I'm not usually one to praise or even listen to radio-friendly metal, I have to give props where props are due. And to this album I give props!
To this day I think Enter Sandman is one of the greatest metal songs of all time. The intro itself is so powerful and strong: the driving drums, the heavy power chords ringing out, the good 'ol chug-chug... I think it's genius. It is true, sometimes less is more. I'd take this album over many technically better bands or faster and heavier bands because of it's simplicity. Plus, it says something to me when a band is humble enough to experiment and try some slow songs.
20.07.2013 - 00:06
Rating: 10
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Regolith on 14.07.2013 at 01:44

To this day I think Enter Sandman is one of the greatest metal songs of all time. The intro itself is so powerful and strong: the driving drums, the heavy power chords ringing out, the good 'ol chug-chug... I think it's genius.

Almost all songs on this album are pure genius, in terms of composition, but this is nothing new, in general that is what is Metallica: great composers.
05.09.2013 - 18:55
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I actually feel this to be one of their best albums after some thought and revisitation, and it is a very important gateway drug to metal for me personally. Without having heard Enter Sandman for the first time, I probably would not have delved deeper into our beloved genre. Whether or not it tops the previous 4 albums is debatable (although it beats Kill Em' All for me personally), but I think it still holds up after listening to more "extreme" stuff over the years and is still very catchy and fun. "My Friend of Misery" is a great standout along with other ones like "Wherever I May Roam" and "Don't Tread On Me". Definitely their last solid release from front-to-back.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
05.09.2013 - 23:18
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by CobiWan1993 on 05.09.2013 at 18:55

I actually feel this to be one of their best albums after some thought and revisitation, and it is a very important gateway drug to metal for me personally. Without having heard Enter Sandman for the first time, I probably would not have delved deeper into our beloved genre. Whether or not it tops the previous 4 albums is debatable (although it beats Kill Em' All for me personally), but I think it still holds up after listening to more "extreme" stuff over the years and is still very catchy and fun. "My Friend of Misery" is a great standout along with other ones like "Wherever I May Roam" and "Don't Tread On Me". Definitely their last solid release from front-to-back.

hahaha, I like that - "...a very important gateway drug to metal..."!
----
06.09.2013 - 13:19
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Definitely their last solid release from front-to-back.

Yep, I'd definitely agree with that. I do enjoy some of the Metallica material after this album, but this album is the last album the band did where I enjoy all the songs pretty much equally.
06.09.2013 - 23:11
Mattybu

Solidly SHITTY

Really though, this album is almost completely devoid of being enjoyable. Metallica was my first metal band I listened to a lot, and everyone goes bananas over their first few albums they hear (some nostalgia also starts happening), but even then I went "WTF" when hearing this. And it ages more like milk than wine.
07.09.2013 - 01:09
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Mattybu on 06.09.2013 at 23:11

Solidly SHITTY

Really though, this album is almost completely devoid of being enjoyable. Metallica was my first metal band I listened to a lot, and everyone goes bananas over their first few albums they hear (some nostalgia also starts happening), but even then I went "WTF" when hearing this. And it ages more like milk than wine.

Nah, there are some really great songs on this album. I think "Enter Sandman" is one of the greatest rock songs in the history of rock. And I love the ballad "Nothing Else Matters" too. Also, the production on this album was fantastic compared to the previous album.
----
07.09.2013 - 01:27
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Ace Frawley on 07.09.2013 at 01:09
Also, the production on this album was fantastic compared to the previous album.

I don't think anyone would argue against that. Even most people who hate the Black Album would acknowledge that I think. I love Justice, but the production on that album is awful, I can't fathom how anyone could think otherwise.
07.09.2013 - 01:31
Mattybu

Nah, there are some really great songs on this album. I think "Enter Sandman" is one of the greatest rock songs in the history of rock. And I love the ballad "Nothing Else Matters" too. Also, the production on this album was fantastic compared to the previous album.

Enter Sandman is probably the single most overrated song in the history of metal, if not music. Just boring, flat, crappy overrated song. As for ballads, Fade To Black is an example of a Metallica ballad with some actual power behind it, whereas Nothing Else Matters is a soupy mess of a song that goes nowhere interesting. I agree about the production, it was marginally better than AJFA simply because of the fact that it was more balanced (on that album, the bass was nonexistent and the sound was very empty and not very full-bodied, although the guitar tone was better there). But tons of shitty albums have good production. Even looking at this album without considering the good shit Metallica put out before it, it pales in comparison to a proper rock/hard rock album. Just plastic, boring, dead rubbish. At this point I can say with a high degree of honesty, if you put this and Lulu in front of me and forced me at gunpoint to listen to one of the two, I would pick Lulu.

This album is an atrociously highly regarded piece of sellout history, although I will most likely be a hypocrite and support it someday just to complete the Metallica discography
07.09.2013 - 04:13
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by Angelic Storm on 07.09.2013 at 01:27

Also, the production on this album was fantastic compared to the previous album.

I don't think anyone would argue against that. Even most people who hate the Black Album would acknowledge that I think. I love Justice, but the production on that album is awful, I can't fathom how anyone could think otherwise.

At least it wasn't "Death Magnetic" styled production.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
07.09.2013 - 04:19
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by Angelic Storm on 06.09.2013 at 13:19

Yep, I'd definitely agree with that. I do enjoy some of the Metallica material after this album, but this album is the last album the band did where I enjoy all the songs pretty much equally.

I really like quite a few post-Black Album songs from all the following albums as well (Hero of the Day, Until it Sleeps, Unforgiven 2 to name a few), but yes, the albums after 1991 were pretty inconsistent as a whole for me. My favorite post Black Album release isn't even a studio album, it's the S&M recording they did with Michael Kamen. Loved what they did with the orchestrations there.
----
07.09.2013 - 12:13
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Mattybu on 07.09.2013 at 01:31

Enter Sandman is probably the single most overrated song in the history of metal, if not music. Just boring, flat, crappy overrated song.

hahaha, so I'm calling "Enter Sandman" one of the greatest songs in the history of rock and you are calling it the single most overrated song in the history of metal, if not music - and boring, flat and a crappy overrated song.

Not much chance of us convincing the other, I'd say.

Have to say though, I think you're a bit over the top with saying you'd prefer Lulu over the black album.
----
07.09.2013 - 15:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I am totally not a fan of the songs on this album, but one can't deny the absolute top-notch quality of the production which at the time set a standard for a lot of metal bands (i.e. Pantera's Vulgar Display Of Power) and still sounds full and delivering a punch in this day and age.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.09.2013 - 17:12
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by CobiWan1993 on 07.09.2013 at 04:13
At least it wasn't "Death Magnetic" styled production.

Well... I'm not sure if the production on "Death Magnetic" is actually any worse than the production on Justice, or whether it's just a different type of bad production. The sound on Justice is dry, flat, and there's no punch to the sound. I'd say the non-existent bass in the mix is around 80% of the reason why the sound is so weak though. "Death Magnetic" is a victim of the "loudness war" in production during recent years. The dynamics are ripped out of the sound, and the sterility of the production does it no favours either... I'd say DM's production is perhaps slightly worse, but they're both very badly produced albums.

Written by CobiWan1993 on 07.09.2013 at 04:19
I really like quite a few post-Black Album songs from all the following albums as well (Hero of the Day, Until it Sleeps, Unforgiven 2 to name a few), but yes, the albums after 1991 were pretty inconsistent as a whole for me. My favorite post Black Album release isn't even a studio album, it's the S&M recording they did with Michael Kamen. Loved what they did with the orchestrations there.

Yep, all of the albums after "Black" are patchy, it's just that some are more patchy than others. "S&M" is great stuff, it's a shame that Cliff never lived to be part of that though, as he'd have loved it, seeing as he was a big classical music fan.
07.09.2013 - 18:41
Mattybu
Written by Ace Frawley on 07.09.2013 at 12:13

Not much chance of us convincing the other, I'd say.

Have to say though, I think you're a bit over the top with saying you'd prefer Lulu over the black album.

Yeah, and that is okay, as long as we all understand there are different opinions out there

But seriously, it isn't over the top saying that at all. What we have are two boring albums devoid of any real enjoyment for me, so I might as well pick the one that is a more interesting style, and has more unconventional music on it, albeit bad unconventional music.
12.09.2013 - 14:06
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.09.2013 at 15:06

I am totally not a fan of the songs on this album, but one can't deny the absolute top-notch quality of the production which at the time set a standard for a lot of metal bands (i.e. Pantera's Vulgar Display Of Power) and still sounds full and delivering a punch in this day and age.

True, and I think I remember hearing once that they'd heard the sound of the Mötley Crüe album Dr. Feelgood and were so impressed with it that they decided to move on from Rasmussen and go with Rock for the production. Good move, I reckon. Justice sounds horrible.
----

Hits total: 36332 | This month: 37