06. Subterfuge
07. Kill On Command
08. Phobophobia
09. Bodies On Bodies
10. I Profit
11. T.D.S. (Take It As You Will)
12. Parapalegic

Additional info
Reissued in 2005 by Megaforce with a bonus live CD recorded in 2001 at The Slim's.

Guest review by
Nosurper
Rating:
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the quintessential thrash album. If you thought that Kill 'em All was relentless, then you obviously haven't heard this adrenaline-pumping masterpiece yet. Not even the pure speed and intensity of Reign in Blood can touch the fury of Vio-lence's 1988 debut album Eternal Nightmare. Led by present Machine Head guitarists Robb Flynn and Phil Demmel, along with the unique vocal contributions of Sean Killian, Eternal Nightmare is an album that will live on in thrash circles forever.

Read more ››
published 28.03.2009 | Comments (35)

Found in 35 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 62   Visited by: 686 users
30.01.2019 - 11:04
JoHn Doe
Written by [user id=4365] on 27.05.2012 at 23:24

The ultimate example of hideous, atrocious vocals ruining otherwise decent-ish music.

My thought exactly, I cannot say it better, that's why I quoted.
The vocals are an example of instant ruination of the music.
I've never understood the hype around this album.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
04.12.2019 - 16:59
Rating: 9
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I actually like the vocals on this album, they're almost a breath of fresh air in a very stagnant genre. Not to mention this has some of the best riffs ever. The drumming is fantastic too. I wish the overall production was heavier than it is, but that's due to it's age. Also all albums should be 35 minutes long.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
05.12.2019 - 16:15
The Witchfinder
Account deleted
This album is dogshit. Mediocre music dragged down by abysmal vocals. Go listen to Robb Flynn's side project.
05.12.2019 - 17:41
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by [user id=220667] on 05.12.2019 at 16:15

Go listen to Robb Flynn's side project.

You mean Machine Cuckhead? No.

Eternal Nightmare is class.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
05.12.2019 - 18:24
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

This album is dogshit. Mediocre music dragged down by abysmal vocals. Go listen to Robb Flynn's side project.

----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
05.12.2019 - 19:09
JoHn Doe

Machine Head? I only like the debut album.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
06.12.2019 - 21:49
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Damn this might be the best Thrash Metal album ever.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
13.03.2020 - 13:00
Rating: 10
Metal Rasputin
One of my all time favorite thrash albums. The music is as chaotic riff madness as it gets and the horrifying vocals make you want to rip your ears off, but I don't care. The irritating elements alone make this thing so memorable and help to grab your attention. They also give this one a huge personality, something most mediocre thrash acts usually lack completely.

I wish Machine Head was this good.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
21.06.2020 - 08:06
sgtrobo
This album is the definition of 'riff-tastic'.
THAT is why so many thrash fans love it.
21.10.2020 - 17:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Speed metal whit hip hop style rapping, I like it, classic tune, a but low to be super killer , but to good to ignore, good one sort rhyme, fast playing forward, energy of young men, funny way of singing.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.10.2020 - 17:42
JoHn Doe
Written by Bad English on 21.10.2020 at 17:00

Speed metal whit hop hop style rapping, I like it, classic tune, a but low to be super killer , but to good to ignore, good one sort rhyme, fast playing forward, energy of young men, funny way of singing.

Oh, so that's why I don't like the vocalist it's "hop hop style" Got it!
----
21.10.2020 - 17:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by JoHn Doe on 21.10.2020 at 17:42

Speed metal whit hop hop style rapping, I like it, classic tune, a but low to be super killer , but to good to ignore, good one sort rhyme, fast playing forward, energy of young men, funny way of singing.

No I like it, its cool , way he sings, fits in this fast sound, fast vocals. I enjoy it.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.10.2020 - 17:48
JoHn Doe
Written by Bad English on 21.10.2020 at 17:45

Written by JoHn Doe on 21.10.2020 at 17:42

No I like it, its cool , way he sings, fits in this fast sound, fast vocals. I enjoy it.

HOP HOP style?
nevermind...
----
13.09.2021 - 17:41
Samot
This is one of the best Trash metal albuns ever EZ for me!
----
Um, Dois, Três, Quatro! Yeah! PORRA!!!
26.01.2022 - 00:19
Rating: 6
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
The vocals aren't too bad. They sound like a transition between the vocals on Exodus's Bonded by Blood and Hazzerd's Misleading Evil. The riffs are fantastically angry and admittedly do save the album in that aspect. The songs here are just solid 80s thrash energy. My favorite is "Serial Killer"
26.01.2022 - 10:40
gavdann
Written by JoHn Doe on 21.10.2020 at 17:48

HOP HOP style?
nevermind...

Trying to understand Bad English' posts is one of my favourite things about this board.
In my mind he doesn't speak any English at all and is running all his posts through the cheapest 1980's translator service known to human kind.
Either that, or he is the greatest troll in living memory.
20.03.2022 - 08:58
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Riffs are good, tempos good, can't stand the vocals though
23.02.2023 - 16:32
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Every time I try and force myself to enjoy Coroner, I stop halfway through and put this on instead.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
24.02.2023 - 00:18
A Real Mönkey
Written by Boxcar Willy on 23.02.2023 at 16:32

Every time I try and force myself to enjoy Coroner, I stop halfway through and put this on instead.

Funny, when I try and force myself to enjoy this, I stop halfway through and put on... literally anything fucking else because holy shit this is hot garbage.

Coroner wrecks this any day.
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
24.02.2023 - 15:22
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by A Real Mönkey on 24.02.2023 at 00:18

Coroner wrecks this any day.

I can respect what Coroner is trying to do and the music is obviously not super similar apart from the thrash elements, but if you don't mind the vocals, this album is way catchier/interesting/coherent. It has really good groove and riffs for days. Nearly every song here is near flawless, but Phobophobia is a god tier track.

I'm usually the first one to shy away from an album with poor vocals, but I don't have an issue with them at all here.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
24.02.2023 - 16:23
A Real Mönkey
It really isn’t though. It’s typical third rate Bay Area thrash with somehow worse sounding vocals. Done earlier and done better by their contemporaries millions of times. Forbidden, Death Angel, Laaz Rocket, Testament, etc. I hate Bonded By Blood with a passion and id still put it above this.

I guarantee you the only reason people give this album the time of day is because it features half of Machine Head.
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
24.02.2023 - 16:30
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Lmao no. This is superior Thrash Metal in all aspects.

And claiming you hate Bonded By Blood says it all...
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
24.02.2023 - 17:19
gavdann
*Gavdann pulls his chair closer and grabs the box of popcorn*
24.02.2023 - 22:11
Rating: 7
Redel
This is definitely a good thrash album, almost very good in my books.
It has basically everything I want my thrash albums to have.
It is from the old school.
It has tons of great riffs.
It has decent vocals -- well they are thrash vocals in the end, nothing particularly special about them in the thrash context if you ask me (and I love me my Bonded by Blood vocals by the way).
And it has these powerful thrash dynamics, typically rushing through the entire album, never even attempting to rest.

But something has always been missing for me in this album. Dont really know what, something that makes me want to respin immediatly and want to revisit every now and then.
There are no particular songs, or fractions from songs, that stay with me I guess, not even the riffs do.
It is a good album though, dont get me wrong. But I would go to dozens of other thrash albums any day over this one.
24.02.2023 - 22:23
Jope"Steele"Nada
Steelemeister
Written by Redel on 24.02.2023 at 22:11

It has decent vocals -- well they are thrash vocals in the end, nothing particularly special about them in the thrash context if you ask me (and I love me my Bonded by Blood vocals by the way).

But isn't Killian's vocals about the fastest you can get in thrash? See the vocal delivery in Phobophobia. I think people put him down too harshly at least on these 80/90s records.
----
My vision is augmented
24.02.2023 - 22:34
Redel
Written by Jope"Steele"Nada on 24.02.2023 at 22:23

But isn't Killian's vocals about the fastest you can get in thrash? See the vocal delivery in Phobophobia.

Well, thrash is fast, so usually the singing in thrash also is. Not out of the normal thrash speed here if you ask me.
24.02.2023 - 23:33
Jope"Steele"Nada
Steelemeister
Written by Redel on 24.02.2023 at 22:11

It is a good album though, dont get me wrong. But I would go to dozens of other thrash albums any day over this one.

I disagree about this, this is a killer one, and also it's good to have you around to challenge it. I don't know what to say, did you skip all the songs and listen to Limp Bizquit instead by accident?
----
My vision is augmented
25.02.2023 - 07:53
Redel
Written by Jope"Steele"Nada on 24.02.2023 at 23:33

I don't know what to say, did you skip all the songs and listen to Limp Bizquit instead by accident?

I respun the album before I wrote my comment because I didnt recall much of it tbh.
And right after having respun it, instead of rushing for a replay, I went back to the thrash album that gets frequent respins by me these days and that is Overthrow's Within Suffering.
26.02.2023 - 02:24
Jope"Steele"Nada
Steelemeister
Written by Redel on 25.02.2023 at 07:53

I respun the album before I wrote my comment because I didnt recall much of it tbh.

Did you see Get Thrashed or Vio-lence Blood and Dirt documentaries? The band used to be quite big during this album and lotsa folks were praising these guys and afterwards it kind of died off. I would say that their later albums were just good or less, but this album had an impact.
----
My vision is augmented
26.02.2023 - 13:08
Redel
Written by Jope"Steele"Nada on 26.02.2023 at 02:24

but this album had an impact.

It sure had and it still has today. It is a good thrash album and lots of people are still today holding it up very high -- just I am not.

Hits total: 15074 | This month: 20