10. The Edge
11. The New Order
12. All The King's Horses [Japanese bonus]
13. Dead Sound Of Misery [Japanese bonus]

The Best Power Metal Album Of 2006
Featured in "Getting Into: Blind Guardian"

Additional info
Advanced Japanese release 30/08/2006.

Recorded, mixed and mastered at Twilight Hall Studios/Germany from September 2005 - April 2006.
Produced by Charlie Bauerfeind and Blind Guardian.
Mixed by Charlie Bauerfeind.
Engineered by Charlie Bauerfeind & Jan Rubach.
Assistant engineer: Marc Schettler.
Mastered by Charlie Bauerfeind.

Artwork and artwork concept by Anthony Clarkson.
Photos and photo design by Axel Jusseit.
Booklet designed by Nikolay S. Simkin.

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
After a couple of surprising moves - signing to label Nuclear Blast and quasi-unexplained firing of long time drummer Thomen Stauch - Blind Guardian is back with a new album entitled 'A Twist In The Myth'. Despite claims that this is a totally different direction for the band, the overall impression is very close to their previous opus, 'A Night At The Opera'. It is however more progressive and even a little more easy of access at times. The band also developped a brought up-to-date sound , which is obvious on songs like 'The Edge', 'Otherland' and 'Fly'.

Read more ››
published 04.11.2006 | Comments (60)

Found in 29 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 37   Visited by: 953 users
04.02.2010 - 14:53
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
The more i am listening to this album, the more i like it
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

04.02.2010 - 15:07
Baz Anderson
Staff
My far, the band's worst album so far.
04.02.2010 - 17:38
Rating: 8
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Hmm...Its tough to elaborate exactly how I feel about this album!

As a whole, its not as great as most of their other albums, but I think there's enough good songs on it to make it a worthy addition to Blind Guardian's catalogue. The album starts strongly, with an immense opening track, and the following two are great as well. I feel the quality of the album dips sharply at the halfway point, with most of the songs from that point onwards being pretty forgettable. Although 'Skalds And Shadows' does a valiant rescue attempt!

In it's best moments, ''A Twist In The Myth'' can easily hold it's own with Blind Guardian's best works, but those moments are not frequent enough for this album to be called any more than just 'good'. And in that respect, it is definitely a weak effort overall by BG's normally very high standards.
05.02.2010 - 10:37
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
"the worst album" rated with 8...nuff said
----

07.02.2010 - 21:38
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Ellrohir on 05.02.2010 at 10:37

Yep, I think it says a lot about the quality of Blind Guardian's material, that an album rated 8 is classed as their weakest. hehe
08.02.2010 - 00:47
JÄY
Metal slave
Ive loved this album since i first heard it and am glad they make their records sound different every time.
It's definitely too soft at times but still a really fun listen!
13.02.2010 - 11:25
Stas
Written by Angelic Storm on 07.02.2010 at 21:38

Written by Ellrohir on 05.02.2010 at 10:37

Yep, I think it says a lot about the quality of Blind Guardian's material, that an album rated 8 is classed as their weakest. hehe

And the best power metal album of 2006
22.02.2010 - 18:20
MeTalRea|istiK
Totally upset!!weaker than ever!!but still..cant stop myself to listening to the end of the album..
23.02.2010 - 00:20
Lord_Regnier
Written by Baz Anderson on 04.02.2010 at 15:07

My far, the band's worst album so far.

I also think it's the worst BG album by far. I find everything bad on it. Boring songs. Awful production making it sound like a prog album more than a PM one. Hansi is barely recognizable at times, etc etc etc
This album just plain sucks.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
23.02.2010 - 10:31
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Your opinion not welcome
----

02.05.2010 - 09:59
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Agree on "worst album". Most songs sounds like copying older riffs and there are no standout tracks. Still, it gets a 8 because it's still awesome. BG quality.
----
06.07.2010 - 20:16
Rating: 5
farfaramir
If you are going to say it's the worst, rate it as the worst... .
22.07.2010 - 01:27
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
We rate it as the worst by Blind Guardian...
----

22.07.2010 - 01:31
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by farfaramir on 06.07.2010 at 20:16

Just because its the worst, doesnt mean its bad. lol It just shows how great their other albums are!
22.07.2010 - 04:51
Rating: 5
farfaramir
Written by Angelic Storm on 22.07.2010 at 01:31

Written by farfaramir on 06.07.2010 at 20:16

Just because its the worst, doesnt mean its bad. lol It just shows how great their other albums are!

Well, maybe you are right, maybe I was too bad with this album because it's blind guardian. I'll give to it another listen
27.10.2010 - 12:22
Rating: 6
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I have found this album boring as hell, poor songs, nothing stands out, the more I listen to this, the more I dislike it, simply average Blind Guardian songs, but not as the good average BG songs, just as the average bad ones. Dunno, I simply don't enjoy this album, it is plain as fuck...
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
24.04.2011 - 23:52
Rating: 9
mikeprado30
I don't know, but I loved this album since I listened with attention. Truly the production is not the best so far, and sometimes Hansi's voice sounds so fake, but I like the abundant melody in every song (best examples Turn The Page and Straight Through The Mirror) and also I found very great guitar solos (the rock'n'rollish one in The Edge is very great, and the Otherland's one is AMAZING!, just as the son itself )
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
08.06.2011 - 23:41
Rating: 10
What the hell this album was way better than At the Edge of Time.
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
24.06.2012 - 19:55
Rating: 7
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I actually really like this album, the first song I ever heard from the band was Fly, and it convinced me to go out and really get into Blind Guardian's catalogue. Sure ATITM is not my favorite album by the band, and they have already worked on far more spectacular albums in the past, as well as At the Edge of Time four years after this album, but i still feel this is a worthy addition to Blind Guardian's impressive discography!
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
06.09.2012 - 21:46
Written by gopherhawk2@gmail.co on 08.06.2011 at 23:41

Agreed
06.09.2012 - 23:27
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight

absolutely not
----

07.09.2012 - 01:31
Rating: 10
Written by Ellrohir on 06.09.2012 at 23:27

absolutely not

I just really got more out of this one. I thought the production was far better and the songs had more creativity per minute, shall we say.
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
26.09.2012 - 23:27
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Irritable Ted on 26.09.2012 at 20:57

Can some one explain why this album is regarded as their worst?

Because people think simple structured (albeit super over-produced) and catchy = bad

I've ordered Imaginations

Now, your'e in for a treat!
26.09.2013 - 17:59
Rating: 9
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
I must confess, Blind Guardian is my oldest metal love. Out of all the bands I've began listening to in my first metal days and months only these German bards never disappointed me. On contrary, the band keeps evolving and the band's music gets new interesting aspects.
This album is no exception. It shows how the band values its name and works hard to make the best out of the songs. If you are the lucky owner of limited edition, you can listen and compare Fly and Dead Sound Of Misery, the song's early version. You can clearly hear a great improvement.
All in all, A Twist In The Myth is the album that Hansi and Co. definitely won't be ashamed to put on the same shelf as their classic works.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
20.10.2013 - 09:39
Lord_Regnier

Opera seemed far too over produced, drowning out the songs.

It was. The album was a perfect example of over-layered music.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
27.02.2014 - 05:04
Rulatore
Their worst by a long shot. They sound like they were trying to be another band... much simple. The only song I can remember of is the first one, the rest, unfortunally is just average
08.02.2015 - 16:47
Rating: 2
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I think I have wasted 60min from life what I have ..I have real life as well, so well boring album, much weeker as prev, really I rate it whit 2 ....
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.03.2015 - 16:05
Ruchesko
After marathoning BG's first four albums plus At The Edge Of Time, this one was a bit of a heavy comedown. Far from shit, though.
13.04.2015 - 15:24
musclassia
Staff
Been working through BG's albums recently in preparation for seeing them last night, I'd always had this one down as having a couple of strong songs but being somewhat inconsistent. To be honest, it does lose some steam after Another Stranger Me, but I really like that song, and the first 4 songs are fantastic - Turn The Page is a delightful folky piece, This Will Never End is one of their best power metal songs since the turn of the century, and Fly is just magnificent. At The Edge Of Time is arguably more consistent than ATITM, but this one has more highlight songs, and I'd probably say I prefer it to that album.
09.08.2016 - 18:55
majormalfunction
A good follow up to the previous one. I really appreciate they stripped downed the production and song writing since I think it would have been pretty much impossible to give another album as complex as A Night at the Opera. It's a really good collection of songs Blind Guardian gives us here and even if it's never mind blowing they still hold a constant high quality that makes this album really enjoyable.
----
Everything's twice as bright with money in your hands

Hits total: 19258 | This month: 26