Additional info
Line-up on the album:
Seth Siro Anton: Vocals/Bass
Sotiris V: Clean Vocals/Guitars
Christos Antoniou: Guitars/Samplers
Fotis Benardo: Drums

Guest musician:
Marios Iliopoulos: Guitar Solo on "Babel's Gate"

The rites of Communion were conducted during September of Anno 07 before the Apocalypse at Fredman Studio (Sweden)
Sound engineer: Fredrik Nordstrom & Henric Udd
Produced by Fredric Nordstrom & Septicflesh
Mastered by Peter in de Betou, at Tailor Made Production

Classical orchestrations by Christos Antoniou
Additional orchestrations and production by Gabriel Currington
The orchestra was recorded, edited and mixed at CNSO Studio Gallery, Prague
Performed by Filmharmonic Orchestra and Choir of Prague
Music contractor and recording manager: Peter Pycha
Sound Engineer: Jan Kotzmann
Assistant Engineer: Cenda Kotzmann

Artwork by Seth Siro Anton

Limited digipak edition comes with alternate artwork.

Guest review by
Deadmeat
Rating:
So the big deal is done! Septic Flesh are back! Reunited and with a new name - Septicflesh - they offer the music world a great experience: "Communion"! A powerful release with many great songs. Once more, the band proved that it never repeats itself. Comparing it with previous releases it's easy to see that this is the most brutal! Now let's analyze it all a bit.

Read more ››
published 20.11.2008 | Comments (36)

Found in 81 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 35   Visited by: 2270 users
13.08.2010 - 15:31
dodstink
The logo changed buthe vocals are supreme.Rude and brutal.
22.03.2011 - 22:13
Rating: 10
Heka69
Simply awesome. Very atmospheric stuff.
16.05.2011 - 16:02
musicalkaratekid
Just lisgtened to this album whilst walking back from a stroll round town, and it has certainly taken my breath away, just from the sheer intensity of it all. Amazing band, and definitely epic album:)
19.05.2011 - 16:31
Pyramid God
As a whole its not as good as their latest, The Great Mass, but there some standout individual songs. I think Anubis and Sunlight/Moonlight just might be better than anything on what is my favorite album. That is close to blasphemy but this is a great album for sure.
19.05.2011 - 20:40
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Pyramid God on 19.05.2011 at 16:31

As a whole its not as good as their latest, The Great Mass, but there some standout individual songs. I think Anubis and Sunlight/Moonlight just might be better than anything on what is my favorite album. That is close to blasphemy but this is a great album for sure.

it is not blasphemy mate. imo sunlight/moonlight and babels gate are the 2 songs which are better than anything from the great mass. but generally, awesome band, awesome music and UNIQUE.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
23.05.2011 - 15:59
Rating: 9
Tetravirulence
Sangreeee-aaaal Sangreee-aaal simply awesome
----
Metal News Community!! http://head-metal-bangers.blogspot.com

RIP Juhani Palomaki (1977-2010)
30.05.2011 - 17:29
Tetravirulence
Listen to the bass on Annubis careful, its great!
----
Metal News Community!! http://head-metal-bangers.blogspot.com

RIP Juhani Palomaki (1977-2010)
23.07.2011 - 08:43
Pyramid God
I've since changed my mind. Communion is definitely better than The Great Mass and is my favorite album of all time.
01.08.2011 - 22:40
AXA
God in this album ...
i can say ,,, amazing album for all time
01.09.2011 - 04:42
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Great album. Nice fusion between the grandeur of symphonic effects and the br00tality of death metal. Worth a 9 in my books.
24.09.2011 - 15:00
musicalkaratekid
Probably their best album....everything here-The orchestral arrangements,the melody, the guitars-has the right balance to make it one of the best metal albums ive heard for a long time\m/
02.01.2012 - 03:55
Sonic MrSumo
Just discovered these guys. Anubis and Sunlight Moonlight are the stand-outs on the few listens I've had. The whole album sounds very promising!
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
20.03.2012 - 07:49
Sonic MrSumo
Written by Sonic MrSumo on 02.01.2012 at 03:55

Just discovered these guys. Anubis and Sunlight Moonlight are the stand-outs on the few listens I've had. The whole album sounds very promising!

Better than promising...simply amazing!!
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
20.06.2012 - 13:10
serega25
This album has an unique atmosphere... Its not just a masterpiece, it is also an extreme metal experience... The ingenious band... Hail SepticFlesh!
04.10.2012 - 03:20
LordHypnos
Account deleted
Which rating should I give to this one? Guess I'll listen to it again...
04.12.2012 - 17:14
Illog1cal
Account deleted
There are some great atmospheric sections on this album, some parts I think they could have utilized the orchestra better. 'Anubis', 'Babel's Gate' and 'Persepolis' are the most well rounded songs.
23.02.2013 - 04:22
Since I've listened to Communion and The Great Mass, i'm searching for something similar. This two albuns are really awesome and left me hungry for more! :x
27.06.2013 - 07:21
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by EduardoZamarro on 23.02.2013 at 04:22

Since I've listened to Communion and The Great Mass, i'm searching for something similar. This two albuns are really awesome and left me hungry for more! :x

IMO SepticFlesh are unique in the Sympho Death Metal genre. But a similar band I would vouch for is Carach Angren, they were just on tour with Septic recently. Also you may want to give Epica's album Design Your Universe a shot it has the female front vox but some of the verses and such get very heavy.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
10.10.2013 - 23:46
Rating: 7
mz
Changing from 9 to 7. It is really good but I used to enjoy it much more.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
11.05.2014 - 15:25
Rating: 8
Sang Dalang Abu
EPIC!! I love all songs. For Death Metal fans go have this album please.
You will not regret
25.06.2014 - 05:20
Rsrdaman
Love every song on this album, a truly fantastic comeback album. "Anubis" is the greatest track on here, if not one of the greatest heavy metal tracks of all time, incredible sound.
24.09.2014 - 01:38
_deepblack
Best Symphonic death metal band i ever heard and one of the best death metal albums
20.11.2014 - 13:21
MelancholiaC
Great album and an excellent "gateway drug" to the band, certainly represents a breakthrough in the realm of symphonic death metal.

However, with repeated listens, it doesn't stand against the test of time as well as their later opus The Great Mass. And in my opinion the songwriting and orchestral arrangements are not as sophisticated and multifaceted as their latest album Titan. So I encourage those taken by Communion to further explore the brilliance of those 2 subsequent albums, especially if you find their symphonic elements enchanting.
15.01.2015 - 19:44
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
The first half has some of their best songs, the second is really rough for me. It's a step back from Sumerian Daemons. "Sangreal...so real!" is one of the corniest vocal parts they have put in any song. The Great Mass took the ideas here and perfected them.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
30.01.2015 - 00:03
Masterpiece
23.04.2015 - 02:51
indexqwest
A classic!
12.04.2020 - 13:25
Rating: 8
nonZero
A good album, but definitely not as strong as Sumerian Daemons.

8.5/10 leaning towards an 8 for me.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
11.05.2020 - 00:15
ickoriss
The comeback album of comeback albums. I feel so lucky that I actually got to see this tour. The band was absolutely phenomenal.
18.12.2021 - 15:22
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
I enjoyed the creepy atmosphere, the heavy riffs mixed with orchestra, and the menacing vocals! I like the overall theme of communication between gods and mortals. The ending was a bit underwhelming for me, though.

My favorite songs are "Anubis", "Lovecraft's Death", and "Persepolis". The title track and "Sangreal" are also good.
29.07.2022 - 00:59
A Real Mönkey
"Sunlight / Moonlight" is way too addicting for its own good.
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire

Hits total: 40453 | This month: 31