Metal Storm logo
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Original post

Posted by psykometal, 02.10.2011 - 02:45
So who's looking forward to Skyrim and why? And I'm sure that Staff will want this to count as THE Skyrim thread when it comes out so once it's out what are your thoughts on it? I just recently got Oblivion and have been playing it and it's pretty kool, I like it so far and I'm pretty sure I want Skyrim. So since I'm thinking of getting Skyrim I'm not sure if I want to go ahead and run through Oblivion first (which I realize will take me a long time) and then get Skyrim or if I want to just go ahead and get Skyrim and play through that [since it's not actually a direct sequel to Oblivion I shouldn't really be adversely affected by not playing Oblivion first] and then maybe one day go back and finish Oblivion, lol. What are other's thoughts?
03.08.2012 - 13:39
IronAngel
Nice, I didn't have that yet. I hadn't looked into graphics improvements much, since I was kinda worried about performance. I'm not too interested in HD textures or SMIM, but this looks like a very simple way to make a big impact.

Also, huh. I just logged into Steam and apparently they just released Dawnguard today, without warning. Kinda cool, though I'm not sure if installing it will break something. I may finish this playthrough without it, then start another one on my planned vampire Argonian. By that time, Belua Sanguinare (the awesome vampire mod I intend to use) should have incorporated to Dawnguard's new perk trees, too. Hopefully.

Not sure if SkyRe and Belua Sanguinare will conflict, since SkyRe will probably modify the vampire perks once it gets around to it. I wonder if a simple change of load order would overwrite its changes, since I want the rest of the perks stuff from it.

Edit: Screw it, bought. I don't have either of the overhauls yet, so they have plenty of time to make themselves compatible with Dawnguard before I start my second playthrough.
04.08.2012 - 18:25
IronAngel
Here's what I have now. It should serve me well, though I may look into graphics enhancements like SMIM and the HD textures. Just not sure I have the rig for it.

I did not get any new quests or alter existing ones the first playthrough. I'll save those for second (and third, if there's going to be one). Also, Belua Sanguinaire Revisited looks like THE vampire mod to pick up when I make my Argonian vampire illusionist. My Nord warmaiden Yrsa will keep me busy for a while, so it should have caught up with Dawnguard by then. Did some pruning, removed mods I felt cluttered it up or were redundant. I still like the Invested Magicka concept a lot, but I suspect it will unbalance the game with other magic mods. My current character is not a mage anyway, so I'll probably look more into magic improvements later.

Mind that while I've managed to play the game without encountering any issues, I haven't actually tested this set-up extensively yet. If I come across any problems, I'll let you know.

Skyrim Script Extender: prerequisite for many mods, such as the following three.
SkyUI: way better inventory and magic menu.
Categorized Favorites Menu: so you have five shouts, eight spells and three weapons you alternate between? Good luck with the vanilla favorites slot. Also adds quickslots for equipment sets.
Community Uncapper: level up your skills up to 1000 (or whatever lower cap you set), so you don't need to drop out of character to grind smithing on your mage.

FXAA Post Process Injector: a big impact on game appaerance with a minimal performance hit.
A Quality World Map - With Roads

W.A.T.E.R.: makes water prettier and better.
Sounds of Skyrim - The Dungeons, The Wilds, Civilization: self-explanatory. Plenty of sounds to make the world feel alive.
Realistic Ragdolls and Force: no longer flying into space from an arrow hit. Bodies crumple realistically and act according to their weight. Doesn't nerf Unrelenting Force, though!
The Dance of Death - A Killmoves Mod: cool killmoves, unlock them with perks and configure likelyhood.

UNP female body: this is the more realistic and tasteful body mod out there.
UNP Female Armors: vanilla armors fitted to the body, no change in style.
Better Males: just the nude part, not the ugly faces and hair. Because why would a Nord be shy?
Better Females by Bella: face textures.

ACE: enhancement of most aspects of the game, including the BYOG panel to balance the game on the fly. Very modular, so pick what you like. Seems like the leanest, most compatible and one of the most professional of these large overhauls. Light bows and long bows, flanking and flat-footed, casting forms compatible with basically every other magic mod, and more.
SkyRe: a less compatible, more robust alternative to ACE. However, I simply installed the racial ability and standing stone components to get those tweaks. If you don't want to get all the seperate gameplay-tweaking mods I did, this is probably the best choice.
ASIS: improves enemy AI, spell and perk selection etc. and increases difficulty.
Duel - Combat Realism: also improves enemy AI, incorporates changes to blocking, stamina, staggering and so on. I believe there's some redundancy with ASIS (AI) and ACE (combat mechanics), but they've been reported to work fine together and I've had no issues.
Path of Shadows: complete stealth overhaul, also modifies the alchemy tree.

Complete Crafting Overhaul: better, more balanced smithing with missing recipes. Normally requires Smithing Perks Overhaul, but the ACE Smithing component replaces it as a prerequisite. As ACE is modular, you can use whichever you prefer.
Weapons And Armor Fixes: fixes some inconsistencies with in weapon and armor properties.

Economics of Skyrim:
local products, regional prices, smiths who make armor on request, merchants don't have levelled, carbon-copy inventories. Claims to not conflict with mods that add stuff to merchants.
Imp's More Complex Needs: hunger, thirst, fatigue. Rate of decay and other factors can be easily configured in game.
Frostfall: exposure to cold weather, freezing to death in frigid water, warming up by the fire. An immersion mod that goes hand in hand with IMCN. (Disable Get Wet plugin from W.A.T.E.R., as this includes it.)

SkyTEST - Realistic Animals and Predators: adds some pretty cool life to the wilderness. Affects animal behaviour.
Birds and Flocks: adds a variety of birds to the world.
Deadly Dragons: more oomph for dragons, in-game configuration.
Warzones - Civil Unrest: adds huge battles between factions (Imperials, Stormcloaks, Bandits etc.) around Skyrim. Participate or watch. You can configure the numbers to suit your rig.
Here There Be Monsters: a WIP that adds sea monster bosses into the Sea of Ghosts. In the future, I understand we can expect quests.

Extended Follower Framework: there are three competing follower overhauls: EFF, AFT (Amazing Follower Tweaks) and UFO (Ultimate Follower Overhaul). I didn't see much difference in functionality, but this one adds commands to a neat menu rather than dialogue (which is still an option if you like) and is overall very lean and professional. Up to a 100 followers, set their residence, change combat styles, equip them, etc. One of the other two mods had the option to retrain followers in a new class, but that's a bit immersion-breaking and besides, I use...
Better Followers: tweaks most of the vanilla followers in game to make them use appropriate equipment and so forth. And even better, this incorporates SushiSquid's awesome Specialized Followers as an optional component, to give many vanilla followers unique abilities that reflect their character. This makes every follower actually different and gives you a reason to pick someone who complements you. (BF also includes an optional beauty pack to give some followers a facelift, but I found it broke the vanilla aesthetic too much so I reinstalled just the Better-Specialized-version.)
CM New Companions: just a bunch of different companions across Skyrim. They blend in well, but they don't really have any flesh to them. I will probably disable this next playthrough, but it's harmless enough.
Convenient Horses: makes horses a lot better to work with. Mounted charges, follower horses compatible with EFF/AFT/UFO, and more.

Weapons of the Third Era: some low key, lore-friendly weapons. I don't personally care much for the Akaviri style, but it adds more than that. Remember to get the compatibility patch for ACE to bring the bows in line.
Dragonbone Weapons by AeonVita: ditto, also about the ACE patch. There's also another great dragonbone mod out there by theycallmecheese. Will have to see how Dawnguard dragonbone weapons pan out.
JaySuS Swords: more beautiful swords.
Bandolier - Bags and Pouches: craftable satchels, bandoliers and such with weight reduction. They look great and are very practical without feeling like cheating.
Immersive Armors: a compilation of hothtrooper44's armors, they are beautiful, balanced and perfectly in line with the feel of the game. Best armor mod out there.
Cloaks of Skyrim: craftable, and distributed to some NPCs through levelled lists. Works with Frostfall to actually keep you warm.

Apocalypse Spell Package: a bunch of useful spells to make magic more strategic and fun.
Midas Magic: continuation of the best magic mod for Oblivion. Create awesome unique spells.

Build Your Own Home: as the title suggests, there's a place out in the wilderness which you can expand (a lot) with iron, wood, and other supplies. I have yet to see what it looks like fully built, but it's nice for a mod to make you work for your house.

Auto Unequip Arrows: makes quiver go away when you equip a melee weapon. Comes back with bow. It's that simple, but a huge improvement on overall aesthetic.
Lightweight Potions and Poisons: reduced their weight to 0.1. Takes care of an annoyance.
Better Quest Objectives: Modifies journal entries for many vanilla quests to include information about where you're supposed to go, so you don't need to rely on lazy quest markers.
Possessive Corpses: a tweak to remove NPC-dropped weapons from the world when the corpses disappear, and a few other such clean-up tweaks. Recommended to use with Warzones, where a lot of people get killed.
03.11.2012 - 14:20
CyberSymphony
Ollie
This game is full of bugs and glitches, I have recently got the game (on PS2) and already becoming an addiction . Level 9 and so far its been ok but the amount of problems with the game is a massive letdown. Dark Elf half mage/dual wielder player.
04.11.2012 - 04:59
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by CyberSymphony on 03.11.2012 at 14:20

This game is full of bugs and glitches, I have recently got the game (on PS2) and already becoming an addiction . Level 9 and so far its been ok but the amount of problems with the game is a massive letdown. Dark Elf half mage/dual wielder player.

Yea it's a wonderful and addicting game but unfortunately Bethesda did not do a very good job porting it the the PS3. And now they don't even know if they're gona release any of the DLC on the PS3 because for some reason they can't fuckin' figure out why the PS3 version is so fucked up.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

04.11.2012 - 12:01
IronAngel
To be honest, you can only blame yourself if you decide to play a PC game on a console. Especially an Elder Scrolls game, since the series is known for its bugginess and the fact that it's worth playing because of the modding community. Of course, that still doesn't excuse them making crappy ports.
04.11.2012 - 12:12
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Written by psykometal on 04.11.2012 at 04:59

Written by CyberSymphony on 03.11.2012 at 14:20

Yea it's a wonderful and addicting game but unfortunately Bethesda did not do a very good job porting it the the PS3. And now they don't even know if they're gona release any of the DLC on the PS3 because for some reason they can't fuckin' figure out why the PS3 version is so fucked up.

Yes, no downloadable adds on ps3, so no Dawnguard or Hearthfire. Played it nearly all day yesterday and it crashed once when fast-travelling, again when a dragon appeared, fell through the ground on my horse.. etc (Many metal screams were released ). I have to constantly look on the Skyrim wiki page just to check for bugs and other stuff when doing quests.
04.11.2012 - 17:28
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by CyberSymphony on 04.11.2012 at 12:12

Yes, no downloadable adds on ps3, so no Dawnguard or Hearthfire. Played it nearly all day yesterday and it crashed once when fast-travelling, again when a dragon appeared, fell through the ground on my horse.. etc (Many metal screams were released ). I have to constantly look on the Skyrim wiki page just to check for bugs and other stuff when doing quests.

Yea, I stopped when they did a software release that caused the entire PS3 to lock up when you go under water. I'm sure they have fixed that by now cuz that was months ago but still, very disheartening and super fucking annoying...
----

04.11.2012 - 17:39
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Written by psykometal on 04.11.2012 at 17:28

Written by CyberSymphony on 04.11.2012 at 12:12

Yea, I stopped when they did a software release that caused the entire PS3 to lock up when you go under water. I'm sure they have fixed that by now cuz that was months ago but still, very disheartening and super fucking annoying...

Despite all the problems, annoyance and just today I (for some reason) can't complete a quest because of a glitch, the game has some great storyline's and vast exploration. *playing it right now and found 2 awesome spells and while listening to Summoning*
04.11.2012 - 19:39
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by CyberSymphony on 04.11.2012 at 17:39

Despite all the problems, annoyance and just today I (for some reason) can't complete a quest because of a glitch, the game has some great storyline's and vast exploration. *playing it right now and found 2 awesome spells and while listening to Summoning*

Oh definitely the game is fucking amazing! And it was definitely worth playing even with the glitches but I probably played it over a dozen times with different races and setups so I just got burned out on it and then that no swimming under water thing just got really annoying so I stopped playing. And in the meantime I have just gotten really into a few other games like Dead Island and Borderlands 2 as well as doing a lot of stuff around here on MS that I just haven't gone back and played Skyrim again in months.
----

04.11.2012 - 20:49
Slayer666
Haven't touched Skyrim in ages. But seeing as how there's absolutely nothing else to play at the moment, I might hit it up again, although this time I'll probably mod the living shit out of it.
05.11.2012 - 01:52
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Slayer666 on 04.11.2012 at 20:49

Haven't touched Skyrim in ages. But seeing as how there's absolutely nothing else to play at the moment, I might hit it up again, although this time I'll probably mod the living shit out of it.

I've been thinking of getting it on PC so that I can A) "mod the living shit out of it" and B) actually get the DLC.
----

05.11.2012 - 02:20
IronAngel
Written by psykometal on 05.11.2012 at 01:52

I've been thinking of getting it on PC so that I can A) "mod the living shit out of it" and B) actually get the DLC.

And you can deal with most glitches through console commands. Just had to force my way through the Battle for Whiterun objective by objective, in the console.

Still haven't finished my first playthrough. Well, it's not like you can even "finish" the game, but I'm going to at least finish everything related to the Companions, the Civil War (Stormcloaks are the only true Nords!) and the main quest. Then I'll start my vampire kahjit.
05.11.2012 - 03:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I've actually never completed the campaign to an Elder Scrolls game. For me the story is always so non-existent that I've never felt compelled by it. I've usually gotten bored of the repetitive nature of the game to want to complete one, though Morrowind is more of the case of I've just never gotten bored of wandering and don't want it to end.
05.11.2012 - 05:42
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by [user id=4365] on 05.11.2012 at 03:58

I've actually never completed the campaign to an Elder Scrolls game. For me the story is always so non-existent that I've never felt compelled by it. I've usually gotten bored of the repetitive nature of the game to want to complete one, though Morrowind is more of the case of I've just never gotten bored of wandering and don't want it to end.

The games don't end after you beat the main story. The main story in both Oblivion and Skyrim (I haven't played any others) only takes maybe 10 hours if even that if you stick to just the story quests; especially if you fast travel everywhere. I always did a couple main story quests in the beginning, then wonder about doing side quests and just do one or 2 story quests about every other half dozen or so side quests. The side quests and the wondering are definitely the highlight though. But after going through Skyrim about the first half dozen times trying different builds the long way I just started speed leveling to about 13 or 14 then go all the way up north of Winterhold to get the Oghma Infinium and then just exploit the bookshelf to max out in an hour and try another build.
----

05.11.2012 - 17:19
IronAngel
Ahhh yeah, back to Morrowind. Knew this was coming, but it looks awesome.

03.01.2013 - 10:10
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
What an epic game ! currently playing the dragon born DLC !! a great addition to a a great game
05.01.2013 - 22:50
Gurth Bennas
Just love to climb mounts in skyrim and kill the dragons! feels fuckin epic!
----
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

(One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them)
19.07.2013 - 01:16
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Something that might interest some PC Skyrim gamers...

http://geekologie.com/2013/07/looks-legit-19-year-old-creates-25-hour.php
----