13 want it

01. Hate Train
02. Just A Bullet Away
03. Hell And Back
04. Rebel Of Babylon

Guest review by
Mattybu
Rating:
Back in the early 1980's, a little group called Metallica were an integral part in the spawning of a movement it's safe to say a large number of metalheads around the world revere. We all know enough of their story to understand their importance, and let's face it, back in the day these guys were on top.

Read more ››
published 06.07.2012 | Comments (26)

Found in 8 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 97   Visited by: 1146 users
16.12.2011 - 09:06
afu
Written by [user id=101272] on 16.12.2011 at 02:47

Written by afu on 15.12.2011 at 08:17

I look at it like this: They had material that didn't quite fit the album and wanted to do something for the 30th anniversary. An EP of outtakes is quite cool. Better than a "Best Of" or tacking those songs onto the next album just to fill up space.

As far as complaints about style: I like a bit of fine art. I'm not extremely into it, but I have favorites. Two well known artists I like are Klimt and Dali. Both had periods of work which, to this day, seem to define them, even though they both moved into other styles later in their careers (especially Dali). Creating the same thing over and over and over and over is stifling. While a couple of their albums do not appeal to me, I don't fault Metallica for trying out new things.

I think another art analogy could be Giger (my personal favorite). While he has maintained a certain Giger-ness to all of his work, he has made changes throughout his career (bio-mech, Alien, NY City, Dune and many more) and now mostly does furniture and sculpting, if he does anything at all. Does he seem to give shit. Nope. He'll always be remembered for putting penises, vaginas, and graphic sex in his paintings, but now he likes to make things that look designed for a creature from Hellraiser.

What the hell are you talking about?

I would insult you, but I'd rather just let you look up the word "analogy" in the dictionary.
16.12.2011 - 14:03
Rating: 10
Wiillak
Oh...thanks metallica for release this one to compensation of "lulu"

You can see how an EP album with 4 song can compensate an album with terrible 10 song
16.12.2011 - 22:20
Rating: 9
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
Quote:
[quote="Angelic Storm"]
Metallica are in a position now where they could release something of the exact style and quality of Ride The Lightning or Kill Em All, and some people would still hate it just because of the name on the cover.

Indeed they would. Our overnegative fuckminds will call it "repetitive and unoriginal, would've rathered to see something new". And when they see something new but decent, a la Death Magnetic, it will be "a weak attempt to return to the past." >_>
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
16.12.2011 - 22:22
vezzy
Stallmanite
I'll say it again: How about they actually fucking release it first?
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
16.12.2011 - 22:26
JD
Account deleted
^ they did, in case you haven't heard yet.
16.12.2011 - 22:36
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by [user id=28526] on 16.12.2011 at 22:26

If you're referring to Lulu, my god your brain needs rewiring.
----
16.12.2011 - 22:38
JD
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 16.12.2011 at 22:36

Written by [user id=28526] on 16.12.2011 at 22:26

If you're referring to Lulu, my god your brain needs rewiring.

Am I Vez? Am I?

Check the news first, then try to be a dick
16.12.2011 - 22:41
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by [user id=28526] on 16.12.2011 at 22:38
Am I Vez? Am I?

Why the fuck are you using stative verbs or whatever you call 'em when I'm referring to your brain needing rewiring, not that something's wrong with your actual person (even though something IS wrong, a whole lot of fucking somethings).

I did.

And I'll keep on trying.
----
16.12.2011 - 22:46
JD
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 16.12.2011 at 22:41

Am I Vez? Am I?

Why the fuck are you using stative verbs or whatever you call 'em when I'm referring to your brain needing rewiring, not that something's wrong with your actual person (even though something IS wrong, a whole lot of fucking somethings).

I did.

And I'll keep on trying.

I just don't like it when people talks about my brain, that's it.

Plus, it's you Vezzy, I already know that this discussion won't end well.
17.12.2011 - 01:27
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by [user id=28526] on 16.12.2011 at 22:46

Written by vezzy on 16.12.2011 at 22:41

Am I Vez? Am I?

I did.

And I'll keep on trying.

I just don't like it when people talks about my brain, that's it.

Plus, it's you Vezzy, I already know that this discussion won't end well.

He's off his meds.
18.12.2011 - 13:41
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by [user id=28526] on 14.12.2011 at 01:18

These four tracks are better than the whole Megadeth new album IMO.

You just gruesomely carried away. I know this EP sounds much better than LULU...but that doesn't take them overdo Thirteen. *Wayy to carried away* :/
18.12.2011 - 13:57
JD
Account deleted
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 18.12.2011 at 13:41

You just gruesomely carried away. I know this EP sounds much better than LULU...but that doesn't take them overdo Thirteen. *Wayy to carried away* :/

Bullet for my Valntine is one of your favorite bands?

I don't care about what do you think.

Plus it's my opinion, DEAL WID IT.
18.12.2011 - 14:02
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by [user id=28526] on 18.12.2011 at 13:57

Yeah, BFMV is my favorite band and deal with my fucking favorites cretin. But, your opinion just don't fit out there. If you wanna really flamethrow your crap everywhere...you can go ahead...
18.12.2011 - 14:10
JD
Account deleted
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 18.12.2011 at 14:02

Yeah, BFMV is my favorite band and deal with my fucking favorites cretin. But, your opinion just don't fit out there. If you wanna really flamethrow your crap everywhere...you can go ahead...

Stop being offensive before I report you to the mods, clear? "and it's not the first time"

And again it's my opinion.

Now buzz off.
18.12.2011 - 14:16
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by [user id=28526] on 18.12.2011 at 14:10

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 18.12.2011 at 14:02

Stop being offensive before I report you to the mods, clear? "and it's not the first time"

And again it's my opinion.

Now buzz off.

28.12.2011 - 23:15
Devolution
Suck on the barrel suck suck till its dry,,in the shine of a midnight revolver.
I think the barrel refers to Metallica because they are really dried up. that line was totally gay.
and they should've called the album ' beyond the lulu thing'
so much repetition, James is getting worse and worse. this was a real lame waste of time.
by the way, some songs in death magnetic are way better even though i hate the album.
and what's with the magnet thing? wut does it mean? world magnets tour, death magnets, now beyond magnets. i guess their next album will be titled 'Magnetic Magnetic Magnetic'. that's some crazy shit.
They should've retired from composing along time ago and kept on touring only.
----
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
28.12.2011 - 23:34
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.12.2011 at 07:24

Metallica are in a position now where they could release something of the exact style and quality of Ride The Lightning or Kill Em All, and some people would still hate it just because of the name on the cover.

That's certainly true. However, we all know it will never happen, for the simple reason that they will never release anything close to their 80s albums.
But there's two sides to a coin. The other side here is they can release even the most utterly worthless piece of shit and lots of people will buy it only because of the name on the cover.
No one will ever make me cry over Metallica's 'sad' fate. Imo, they will always receive way too much praise and not enough bashing. But it's only my opinion and I'm probably a bit carried on by the fact that I never understood the fuss around this band and I've been quite annoyed in the 80s by all the attention this average at best band got.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
29.12.2011 - 01:39
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 28.12.2011 at 23:34
That's certainly true. However, we all know it will never happen, for the simple reason that they will never release anything close to their 80s albums.
But there's two sides to a coin. The other side here is they can release even the most utterly worthless piece of shit and lots of people will buy it only because of the name on the cover.

Of course. Like I said, Metallica are a band that inspires blind hate and blind praise in equal measure. Whether positive or negative, it's became an impossibility for many people to have a true sense of perspective, or even the slightest tinge of objectivity when it comes to Metallica. Which I think is due to their size. And that clouds a lot of people's judgement when it comes to their output.

I left out the last bit of your post, as I see no point in debating that, as it's your own opinion, and whilst I don't share it, it's a pointless excercise to discuss that, as both our opinions are equally valid.
30.12.2011 - 19:51
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 29.12.2011 at 01:39

Like I said, Metallica are a band that inspires blind hate and blind praise in equal measure. Whether positive or negative, it's became an impossibility for many people to have a true sense of perspective, or even the slightest tinge of objectivity when it comes to Metallica. Which I think is due to their size. And that clouds a lot of people's judgement when it comes to their output.

I left out the last bit of your post, as I see no point in debating that, as it's your own opinion, and whilst I don't share it, it's a pointless excercise to discuss that, as both our opinions are equally valid.

When a band is as big as Metallica, everything gets out of proportion. It is indeed hard to remain entirely objective when Metallica is mentioned.

In my case, my opinion in the 80s was that this band was ridiculously overrated, as I found their albums quite average and never enjoyed them. But at least it had some value. However, since the black album (and especially after it), I think this band released only shit.

As for the last part of my post, it was only a few personal thoughts, based on my position towards the band.
In the end, I believe that when a band is that big, it creates even more blind love from those who like it and it makes you hate it even more when you happen to never liked it.
----
30.12.2011 - 20:24
Kenos
Account deleted
Oh gosh, this is so wonderful. I was just looking for the 30th album to put in my 2011 shitlist and here it is.
01.01.2012 - 22:30
Rating: 5
Hellcult
Maybe this is not one of the old albums, but it does sound nicely , and i don't turn it off after 10 minutes
Have to admit that Death n Beyond Magnetic r well done- keep it that way!
\m/
----
And I see the blade fall down upon the head of lord in heaven
And Darkness falls upon the end of history
While I drink the milk of the Black Goddess and cry over the mankind

Black Moses is my name...
02.01.2012 - 16:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 13.12.2011 at 07:46

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 13.12.2011 at 07:43

What the hell they want to prove?

All these songs were released individually to fan club members during their 30th anniversary week (last week) when they played 4 shows at the Fillmore. Each night they played a new song, and the studio versions (though in a rough mix form) were sent on to club members soon afterwards. All this is, is a collection of those songs.

These aren't new songs, of course, these songs were recorded during the Death Magnetic seesions but were left off DM due to the quality of the songs. That says a lot about these songs because DM wasn't good at all.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.01.2012 - 20:27
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.01.2012 at 16:28
These aren't new songs, of course, these songs were recorded during the Death Magnetic seesions but were left off DM due to the quality of the songs. That says a lot about these songs because DM wasn't good at all.

I can think of countless examples of songs from album sessions that were left off the albums they were recorded for, (that turn up as bonus tracks or on later compilations) that are actually better than many of the songs off the album itself.
02.01.2012 - 20:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 02.01.2012 at 20:27

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.01.2012 at 16:28

I can think of countless examples of songs from album sessions that were left off the albums they were recorded for, that are actually better than many of the songs off the album itself.

This isn't one of of them
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.01.2012 - 20:34
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.01.2012 at 20:27
This isn't one of of them

I disagree.

Anyways, I just made the point that sometimes bands make mistakes with songs they choose to leave off albums, as on many ocassions, they are better than songs that were actually put on the album. Just because a song doesn't make the album, doesn't automatically make it a bad song. It's also worth mentioning the songs on this EP are in rough mix form, though considering how terrible the final mix on the album was, maybe that's not a bad thing!
03.01.2012 - 00:08
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 02.01.2012 at 20:34

Anyways, I just made the point that sometimes bands make mistakes with songs they choose to leave off albums, as on many ocassions, they are better than songs that were actually put on the album. Just because a song doesn't make the album, doesn't automatically make it a bad song. It's also worth mentioning the songs on this EP are in rough mix form, though considering how terrible the final mix on the album was, maybe that's not a bad thing!

I agree that sometimes bonus songs are better than some songs on the album, when they are really new songs and not useless covers.

As for the sound, well, "Death Magnetic" was an example of awful production. We're not talking of making an album raw on purpose or aiming at a different sound here, but of fucked up, plain bad, production.
And things like that are not supposed to happen when a band is as rich as Metallica. We could say the same about Maiden's "No Prayer For The Dying" or Slayer's "World Painted Blood".
----
03.01.2012 - 09:40
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 03.01.2012 at 00:08
I agree that sometimes bonus songs are better than some songs on the album, when they are really new songs and not useless covers.

As for the sound, well, "Death Magnetic" was an example of awful production. We're not talking of making an album raw on purpose or aiming at a different sound here, but of fucked up, plain bad, production.
And things like that are not supposed to happen when a band is as rich as Metallica. We could say the same about Maiden's "No Prayer For The Dying" or Slayer's "World Painted Blood".

I never count covers when comparing them to a band's originals. lol

Yep, totally agree. And both of those albums were terribly produced also. It is funny how many band's earlier albums seem to have a better sound than on later albums, when they have a lot more money to spend on production.
07.02.2012 - 09:42
Rating: 6
Big-Al
Written by [user id=39762] on 30.12.2011 at 20:24

Oh gosh, this is so wonderful. I was just looking for the 30th album to put in my 2011 shitlist and here it is.

or you could put it in your 2012 shitlist.

Anyways, I like it their best new material in ages... even though it was recorded 4 years ago. :/

... still makes for a nice EP, though the "Just a Bullet Away" lyrics are too funny not to make fun of.
----

I drink moosepiss
07.02.2012 - 09:49
Rating: 6
Big-Al
Written by afu on 16.12.2011 at 09:06

I would insult you, but I'd rather just let you look up the word "analogy" in the dictionary.

he he ...you said anal.
----

I drink moosepiss
11.02.2012 - 20:19
Rating: 8
Poirot
Hate Train and Just a Bullet Away are awesome, Hell and Back is good, Rebel of Babylon is too much progressive in my opinion but it's still ok. The songs are actually very good, I don't know why they didn't add them to Death Magnetic.

Hits total: 23751 | This month: 13