Metal Storm logo
Death In June

22.12.2011 - 02:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I don't really know where to start with this band as they have a lengthy and colourful history, as well as being extremely influential in the field of neofolk. I'm going to cop out and wiki a description instead:

Death in June are a neofolk group led by English folk musician Douglas Pearce, better known as Douglas P. The band was originally formed in Britain in 1981 as a trio, but after the other members left in 1984 and 1985 to work on other projects, the group became the work of Douglas P. and various collaborators. Douglas P. now lives in Australia.

Over the band's three decades of existence, they have made numerous shifts in style and presentation, resulting in an overall shift from initial post-punk and Industrial Records influence to a more acoustic and folk music-oriented approach. Although sometimes considered controversial (largely due to usage of themes and imagery relating to Nazi Germany), Death in June has become very influential in certain post-industrial music circles. Douglas P.'s influence was instrumental in sparking neofolk, of which his music has subsequently become a part.

I rather love Death In June's neofolk records, in particular 'But, What Ends When the Symbols Shatter?' and 'Rose Clouds of Holocaust'. Here's a few of my favourite tracks:

(Prefer the 'Something is Coming' live version of that last song but I can't find a clip of it)

A well known and well regarded band in any light so I'm looking forward to seeing what people have to say about them as my knowledge of them as a band is limited.
22.12.2011 - 09:26
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Lots of neo-nazis go to their shows. The shows can actually be pretty dangerous, there are always fights when the band plays in my city. Its ironic considering that Douglas P. is really more of a radical leftist kind of guy.

I used to be into them many years ago but now find their neo-folk too cartoonish and their industrial records too ostentatious. I don't think their brand of shock ages well. What used to sound very creepy a few years (decades?) ago now sounds pretty pretentious and a little childish. But hey, that is just my opinion. The same can be said for The Swans.
22.12.2011 - 09:35
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Never heard of them, but some of those clips played back some pretty enjoyable music.

I don't like his... "singing" though. If all of this stuff was purely instrumental I'd probably put it on my Zune for those cold, rainy nights.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.12.2011 - 15:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by jupitreas on 22.12.2011 at 09:26

Lots of neo-nazis go to their shows. The shows can actually be pretty dangerous, there are always fights when the band plays in my city. Its ironic considering that Douglas P. is really more of a radical leftist kind of guy.

I used to be into them many years ago but now find their neo-folk too cartoonish and their industrial records too ostentatious. I don't think their brand of shock ages well. What used to sound very creepy a few years (decades?) ago now sounds pretty pretentious and a little childish. But hey, that is just my opinion. The same can be said for The Swans.

Does that not really go for any early industrial stuff? The reliance on that kind of visual and thematic "shock" tactics seemed like something of the era that worked then but somewhat taken out of context in this day and age. I have trouble thinking of Death in June in that way though as I've really heard their neofolk stuff (have skimmed the industrial stuff and it seems ok but more than a little hokey as you said).
23.12.2011 - 19:37
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 22.12.2011 at 15:06

Does that not really go for any early industrial stuff? The reliance on that kind of visual and thematic "shock" tactics seemed like something of the era that worked then but somewhat taken out of context in this day and age. I have trouble thinking of Death in June in that way though as I've really heard their neofolk stuff (have skimmed the industrial stuff and it seems ok but more than a little hokey as you said).

I don't find some other industrial bands as outdated. For example, I don't think Coil lost much over the years...
You are also correct, the whole martial music scene has taken those original shock tactics out of context.