Release date: January 2012

01. Allfather
02. I, Chronocrator
03. Vanitas
04. Descending Jacob's Ladder
05. View from Hverfell I: Head Above The Heavens
06. View from Hverfell II: Inside Omnipotent Chaos
07. View from Hverfell III: A Traveller Of The Seed Of The Earth

Dissonance for the sake of dissonance. I can think of many bands that have been tarred with such a brush. In many cases those distinctions aren't warranted; said bands repudiate such claims by exploiting variety, restraint and poise and make an art form out of cacophony. However I find giving Dodecahedron, Netherlands' newest bright sparks in the boundary pushing world of avant-garde black metal, such benefits of the doubt somewhat difficult at times. A common comparison you'll find laid next to this entity amongst reviews and descriptions is that of Deathspell Omega and, in a sense, that comparison is accurate and justified: Dodecahedron do exude the style of riff that have defined and made the French legends so revered (though not before the likes of Ved Buens Ende did the same) but it's done here in such a predictable and obvious manner that the majority of the moments seem unfathomably forced, consisting of every imaginable anti-riff lined up for sake of being the band that so desperately wants to be more "anti" than all the others. So much so it misses the point entirely. The avant-garde riff, bastardised beyond all recognition.

To be fair Dodecahedron do occasionally feel like they're doing something right and moments meld together quite nicely, such as the flow of "View from Hverfell II: Inside Omnipotent Chaos" (unsurprising considering its relatively conventional approach) but ultimately substance alludes them as a unified body of sound and ideas and the band fall back on garish blasting noise as a constant. Quite often the music is punctuated by absurdist, monstrous, electronically amplified vocals whose purpose of terrifying the listener is so flagrantly obvious that it's instantly rendered into caricature and parody. "Descending Jacob's Ladder" is the prime example: a childlike attempt at dark ambient horror that is more laughable than horrific.

From a visual and aesthetic perspective it's not hard to see why the internet populace has cottoned on so readily to Season of Mist's new Dadaist's. The name and form given to the band speaks volumes to the modernity within black metal and there's nothing wrong with that, music should always be pushed forward. What's more this kind of blasting horror has a nice, tasty market waiting for it in avant-post-industrial black metal circles which is most certainly en vogue in the current climate. But is it worthy? I would say no. Just because something has a semblance to Deathspell Omega it doesn't necessitate an instant free pass to greatness and Dodecahedron too often veer short of what makes a truly great and deep weaver of disturbing aural tapestries.

The result, in the end, then is little more than a one dimensional and hollow afterthought of the dissonant, modern masters that are Deathspell Omega, Blut Aus Nord and The Axis Of Perdition, the occasional highlight tears Dodecahedron briefly from mediocrity. Technical mastery of extremely well played nothing. Like a zombie this is cold and unquestionably "evil" but it is also a rather lifeless and soulless shell of what it should be.

Written by Unknown user | 15.03.2012

Comments

Comments: 45   Visited by: 239 users
15.03.2012 - 16:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Hm, in spite of all the negativity I'm still rather eager to listen to this - if only for the DSO similarities.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.03.2012 - 16:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.03.2012 at 16:51

Hm, in spite of all the negativity I'm still rather eager to listen to this - if only for the DSO similarities.

Never know, you might love it?
15.03.2012 - 16:54
Rating: 8
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Fire-pisser! >:{

I actually really enjoyed this album...
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.03.2012 - 16:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 15.03.2012 at 16:54

From what I gather so do most people who have listened to it.
15.03.2012 - 17:00
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by [user id=4365] on 15.03.2012 at 16:56

Written by Boxcar Willy on 15.03.2012 at 16:54

From what I gather so do most people who have listened to it.

Mind you I don't listen to too much avant-black so...

7.5 for me.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.03.2012 - 18:30
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Reading reviews by Joe means I get to learn some new sophisticated vocab

in other words: I love your reviews, Joe. Looking forward to more
----
loves 小巫
15.03.2012 - 18:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ag Fox on 15.03.2012 at 18:30

Reading reviews by Joe means I get to learn some new sophisticated vocab

in other words: I love your reviews, Joe. Looking forward to more

Your words fill me with a resplendent exultance.
15.03.2012 - 18:39
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Are you trying to apply the same rule of Marshall-learning-new-sophisticated-vocab to your individual posts as well? o.o
----
loves 小巫
15.03.2012 - 18:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ag Fox on 15.03.2012 at 18:39

Are you trying to apply the same rule of Marshall-learning-new-sophisticated-vocab to your individual posts as well? o.o

I could but that would become tiresome and pretentious pretty fast
15.03.2012 - 18:45
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
And that would make you like me - shallow and pedantic. Amirite?
----
loves 小巫
15.03.2012 - 18:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Indubitably old bean!
16.03.2012 - 00:08
strade
Good review... but I liked the album better.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
17.03.2012 - 04:40
Rating: 6
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I tend to listen to the last 3 songs the most. They flow the best, and you are right about the band being off tempo just to be off tempo. A little green around the gills maybe but it's pretty good album.
----
Coldgrits
17.03.2012 - 04:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 15.03.2012 at 16:54
Never know, you might love it?

I have a feeling this is going to be my Murmuüre of 2012.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.03.2012 - 04:56
scaesura
I didnt even listen to this. I listened to one song and it sucked.
17.03.2012 - 05:13
Solemn23
Account deleted
Finally, a non-hype-blinded review..

I do have to mention, though: Axis of Perdition = immense frauds (and no masters, at all)
17.03.2012 - 13:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by [user id=127414] on 17.03.2012 at 05:13

I do have to mention, though: Axis of Perdition = immense frauds (and no masters, at all)

How do you mean frauds exactly? Their last album was a total shambles of a Deathspell Omega wannabe, but everything else they've done has been pretty excellent if you ask me (even the controversial Urfe) and their sound is more or less their own. Their ability to chop and change their approach with each passing release is a great feat. Hell, even Vindsval called them one of the true black metal bands.
17.03.2012 - 13:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.03.2012 at 04:44

I have a feeling this is going to be my Murmuüre of 2012.

Did you ever get round to listening to that? I can't remember.
17.03.2012 - 14:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=4365] on 17.03.2012 at 13:08

...great feet...

what do size 15 feet have to do with anything?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.03.2012 - 14:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.03.2012 at 14:16

what do size 15 feet have to do with anything?

Haha, whoops, lets put that down to being immensely hungover =P
17.03.2012 - 14:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 17.03.2012 at 13:11
Did you ever get round to listening to that? I can't remember.

I did. About a full year later. So come this time next year I should be able to tell you whether or not I agree with your review.
----
17.03.2012 - 14:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.03.2012 at 14:38

I did. About a full year later. So come this time next year I should be able to tell you whether or not I agree with your review.

Ha, I look forward to your feedback, I'll probably be all "what? I don't remember that albu.. oh that band, yeah I vaguely remember them"
17.03.2012 - 16:10
3rdWorld
China was a neat
This is a kind of BM album that fans of TDM should find really enjoyable.
17.03.2012 - 16:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 17.03.2012 at 16:10

Pretty much yeah, it's a heavily technical album. Perhaps the reason I found it so sterile is because I generally dislike tech death.
17.03.2012 - 16:19
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by [user id=4365] on 17.03.2012 at 16:11

Written by 3rdWorld on 17.03.2012 at 16:10

Pretty much yeah, it's a heavily technical album. Perhaps the reason I found it so sterile is because I generally dislike tech death.

Well this is really an incredibly dextrous review and it is good to have you back after that Botanist review, you did three months back. Your assimilation of these sort of unorthodox albums is pretty interesting to read. Good thing you are not rating albums these days.
17.03.2012 - 16:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 17.03.2012 at 16:19

Well this is really an incredibly dextrous review and it is good to have you back after that Botanist review, you did three months back. Your assimilation of these sort of unorthodox albums is pretty interesting to read. Good thing you are not rating albums these days.

Cheers ;] I'll try and keep some sort of rhythm going for these reviews, I get pretty lazy though. I do tend to cherry pick unusual and bizarre albums to write about. It's just easier to write about music that has a lot going on.
20.03.2012 - 16:04
DelightfulJim
Meh, I enjoyed the crap out of this album, but that might be because I am easy as fuck to please.
20.03.2012 - 19:50
Oaken
Hipster
I really enjoyed this. The dissonant riffs are quite kewl.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
07.04.2012 - 01:48
Solemn23
Account deleted
Written by [user id=4365] on 17.03.2012 at 13:08

Written by [user id=127414] on 17.03.2012 at 05:13

How do you mean frauds exactly? Their last album was a total shambles of a Deathspell Omega wannabe, but everything else they've done has been pretty excellent if you ask me (even the controversial Urfe) and their sound is more or less their own. Their ability to chop and change their approach with each passing release is a great feat. Hell, even Vindsval called them one of the true black metal bands.

I think you just answered your own question in the first line there..
07.04.2012 - 01:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by [user id=127414] on 07.04.2012 at 01:48

I think you just answered your own question in the first line there..

It generally takes more than one lacklustre album to denigrate a band's image for me, especially to the point where I call them "immense frauds" just for absorbing some foreign influence. The last Deathspell Omega was a dud but I don't judge them as an outfit for it, nor do I judge Blut aus Nord for the rehash MV:II record, they're both still great bands. As I said everything else TAoP have done has been stellar (pure mastery at what they do) and seeing as they change their style with each passing album it's unlikely it'll sound anything like the recent one.

Hits total: 5482 | This month: 9