10. Dismiss The Cynics
11. Free Fall
12. Dark Signs
13. Metaphor
14. Black & White

Guest review by
gojko88
Rating:
This is it. The infamous album. The album where In Flames definitely left the underground and joined the mainstream. The sound could be heard on the "Cloud Connected" single released prior to this album (which is strange because this is one of the least interesting tracks on the album) and caused quite a stir in the metal press. Some hailed the new sound, some hated it, but the fact (as seen from this time distance) is that the whole thing was exaggerated and the change isn't THAT drastic. It is just the next step in the speeding evolution of their music. Listen to any track from "Clayman" before these ones to see what I'm talking about.

Read more ››
published 21.01.2007 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
Haddonfield
Rating:
There are always going to be debates about whether In Flames have sold out or not. People are always going to slate the newer material whilst praising the older. Personally, I enjoy all their discography, I see their change as neither good nor bad, but just as a simple evolution. In the late 90s and early 2000s In Flames were probably my favourite band. Today, although I still enjoy listening to them from time to time, they have somewhat lost some of their appeal. However, one album sticks out and never ceases to amaze me, that one is Reroute To Remain.

Read more ››
published 16.11.2009 | Comments (16)

Found in 25 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 34   Visited by: 893 users
11.05.2012 - 19:02
Rating: 8
JÄY
Metal slave
Still, its pretty good....
11.05.2012 - 19:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by JÄY on 11.05.2012 at 19:02

Still, its pretty good....

Yeah it is. I scored it so high because of the memories and the gateway to heavier bands aspect of it but it's still a lot better than people give credit for.
11.05.2012 - 19:27
Rating: 7
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 11.05.2012 at 19:12
it's still a lot better than people give credit for.

Same as Soundtrack To Your Escape.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.05.2012 - 19:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.05.2012 at 19:27

Same as Soundtrack To Your Escape.

Even more underrated in a way because it was even less liked than this, despite actually being quite unique as an album.
11.05.2012 - 19:32
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 11.05.2012 at 19:30

Even more underrated in a way because it was even less liked than this, despite actually being quite unique as an album.

Exactly... I think it's a very misunderstood album. I don't know what's not to like. I also agree with the unique sound. I can't explain why, but I do find it quite unique.
----
Rod, let me love you.
11.05.2012 - 19:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.05.2012 at 19:32

Exactly... I think it's a very misunderstood album. I don't know what's not to like. I also agree with the unique sound. I can't explain why, but I do find it quite unique.

I guess if you went into it expecting the typical Iron Maiden-esque melody and leads it would be pretty disappointing given the cold and mechanical sound of it.
11.05.2012 - 19:37
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 11.05.2012 at 19:34

I guess if you went into it expecting the typical Iron Maiden-esque melody and leads it would be pretty disappointing given the cold and mechanical sound of it.

I honestly didn't have any expectations. I knew it wasn't going to be anything like the previous albums. I guess I thought something in the lines of "nu metal"... and I got a varied synth-friendly Nu-Metal-ish album with a production that really works and great guitar work.
----
Rod, let me love you.
11.05.2012 - 19:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.05.2012 at 19:37

I honestly didn't have any expectations. I knew it wasn't going to be anything like the previous albums. I guess I thought something in the lines of "nu metal"... and I got a varied synth-friendly Nu-Metal-ish album with a production that really works and great guitar work.

Well I found In Flames on this album so when I bought Reroute I was hella disappointed =P it wasn't till years later I learned to appreciate it.
11.05.2012 - 19:42
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 11.05.2012 at 19:39

Well I found In Flames on this album so when I bought Reroute I was hella disappointed =P it wasn't till years later I learned to appreciate it.

I started to get into In Flames just a year ago I think. So I read every single kind of opinions about all the albums. So it was hard to get really dissapointed... I think the only time I actually felt dissapointed was with Clayman. I expected way more specially since I highly enjoyed the three albums before it (I'm yet to listen to the debut). Clayman was good but that's it.
----
Rod, let me love you.
11.05.2012 - 19:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.05.2012 at 19:42

I started to get into In Flames just a year ago I think. So I read every single kind of opinions about all the albums. So it was hard to get really dissapointed... I think the only time I actually felt dissapointed was with Clayman. I expected way more specially since I highly enjoyed the three albums before it (I'm yet to listen to the debut). Clayman was good but that's it.

I liked Clayman. More so than Colony. Just has a nice, melodic sound to it. Swim is an awesome song too.
11.05.2012 - 20:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 11.05.2012 at 19:47
I liked Clayman. More so than Colony. Just has a nice, melodic sound to it. Swim is an awesome song too.

I guess I felt it was... too nice? Almost too uplifting without the agressive bite I felt with the others. That song is one very awesome tune indeed. But damn... Colony has Embody The Invisible and that track is just woah. But Clayman is a good album for sure, with the 0.5 on the site I would give it a higher rating It has been a while since I listen to it so I might try a few more times.
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.05.2012 - 00:02
Hendrikse
Account deleted
SATALLITES AND ASTRONAUTS!!

imo best song off clayman
12.05.2012 - 00:25
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by [user id=122079] on 12.05.2012 at 00:02

ehh, wrong album buddy.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
12.05.2012 - 00:55
Hendrikse
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 12.05.2012 at 00:25

ehh, wrong album buddy.

>in reference to the previous comment.
11.07.2012 - 10:43
Rating: 10
Aristarchos
Although they turned towards a more commercial sound, I can't resist the melodies. I think it's their most innovative album, but I like Clayman even more.
21.09.2012 - 11:38
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
As a big fan of the early albums of In Flames, I was a bit reticent about this one, considering all that has been said about it. But after getting this album and listening to it this week, I'm amazed at how much I love it. This is fantastic. Sure, there might be some songs that are more 'commercial-friendly' but this still sounds like In Flames. So many catchy riffs.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
30.03.2014 - 04:50
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by [user id=122079] on 12.05.2012 at 00:02

Nope, "Ordinary Story" is the best of Colony
30.03.2014 - 04:53
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by Aristarchos on 11.07.2012 at 10:43

Although they turned towards a more commercial sound, I can't resist the melodies.

Indeed, i won't be surprised if the upcoming album will be disappointing!
17.06.2015 - 14:35
Rating: 9
Toxik
The only problem I have with this album and STYE is the production. Also the sound of the snare is pretty bad
06.09.2015 - 02:24
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Glad to see I'm not the only one who has love for this much-maligned album. Cloud Connected, Trigger, the title track? Bangers. If people had realized the true level of shit that would come later on, they wouldn't have been so harsh about this one.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
06.09.2015 - 02:33
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by flightoficarus on 06.09.2015 at 02:24

Glad to see I'm not the only one who has love for this much-maligned album. Cloud Connected, Trigger, the title track? Bangers. If people had realized the true level of shit that would come later on, they wouldn't have been so harsh about this one.

Hindsight certainly helped some people (at least I hope so), but I found it great after, what, the second listen, back then? Admittedly, first contact was difficult, not because of the songs, but thanks to the production that was really different from Clayman, and it took me aback. Then I realized songwriting was really on the same level (imagine Pinball Map with RTR production, for example).
Oh, and Cloud Connected is really one of my fav In Flames songs, ever.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
06.09.2015 - 02:37
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Darkside Momo on 06.09.2015 at 02:33

Oh, and Cloud Connected is really one of my fav In Flames songs, ever.

Preach
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
17.11.2015 - 13:25
Rating: 5
Jope"Steele"Nada
Steelemeister
Easily one of the most forgettable of In Flames albums. I used to listen to this album maybe once or twice back in the day due to the hype this album was getting. Well, I didn't understand why the album was praised so much and still don't. Actually, IMO 85,714...% of this album seems like filler to me. That majority of the songs don't really have much re-listening value to them. I'm sure anyone who was being aware during the time of the release of this album knows, that there was way better nu-metal and mainstream metal being released from left and right. Though, I find two songs of this album to have more value than the rest of them: "Free Fall" (almost like from "Clayman" both musically and qualitywise) and "Trigger" (a good example of a song that isn't as forgettable as most of this album).

Tbh, by writing this comment I don't wanna give this album any more exposure, because it has that already more than enough (from wrong reasons, that is). Nuff said.
----
My vision is augmented
17.11.2015 - 13:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Still a hugely fun album for me. I probably listen to it more than a lot of other In Flames albums these days. Quite an interesting combination of melodeath and nu metal styles when you think about, whereas Soundtrack To Your Escape was almost a mix of melodeath and mechanical industrial. Both fairly unique records.
18.12.2015 - 13:37
Toxik
This is just as good as previous albuns imo
03.01.2016 - 12:34
Grivata
This album is the beginning of the end of IN FLAMES!!!
24.03.2016 - 22:37
Overrwatcher
I really really dig this album. As the pioneering 2000's Gothenburg album, it's a lot better than the copies that followed. It is an insanely fun album with some really nice twin melodies, while keeping this addictively "off" atmosphere to the entire thing. Their older stuff is arguably better, but this is in my top 3 favorite In Flames albums (with Come Clarity and Colony). I can see why people hate this album (and it is entirely justified) but I think this sound was way better than Clayman.

Objectively it does not deserve anywhere near a 10, but I rate more on my enjoyment than on objective scale. System, Trigger, Minus, and Free Fall are definite highlights. Really, I feel as if the only weak songs are Drifter and Dark Signs.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
12.12.2017 - 22:32
Kuroboshi
Just relistened to this old album, and realised that it is seriously awesome and fun! Just have to get over that "selling-out" hate. It's definitely different from their earlier stuff.

Personally, Dark Signs is my favorite! But most songs are great. The choruses are amazing.
06.11.2018 - 22:52
Redel
Has always been among my favourite IF albums (still far away from Jester race and Clayman though, which I both prefer).
Although I am not a fan of this type of Metal in general. But this album, have always considered it the last decent IF album, probably even more than decent.
And I have to say I have a hard time to find a real filler song here, despite the number of tracks there is.
Even Dark signs, which is probably my least favourite track, is not bad at all.
I used to like Cloud connected a lot back in the days. But this song can get really annoying.
Metaphor is still one of my favourite tracks here.
Free fall, Trigger, System moreover outstanding.
05.07.2020 - 23:10
ickoriss
Not as good as the earlier stuff, but still pretty great and probably my favorite post-Clayman record. 'Cloud Connected' is just fantastic.

Hits total: 19191 | This month: 27