Metal Storm logo
Turisas

07.11.2006 - 22:27
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I found 4 topics about this great band, but none to discuss about them

Recently I got their album "Battle Metal" and wow!! what a great music!! I really liked it, the concept is really interesting, perfect atmosphere, great instrumentation.
Why do you think about them?
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
08.11.2006 - 01:13
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Yeah, it's a great great album the first few times you listen to it...but as they've been stuck with personal tragedy and have been a bit slow with releasing new material, my interest in them has stagnated temporarily.
09.11.2006 - 01:42
Southern Wind
Account deleted
a totally unoriginal and cliché-filled band, yet a pretty enjoyable one... I bought Battle Metal when it was relased and there was a time in which I found it great.
09.11.2006 - 01:58
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
great band, cant wait for there next album. 'Battle metal' is an incredible debut, it sounds like theyve been at it for at least a decade. these guys are very underrated, its amazing how these guys are less popular than elvenking or finntroll.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
13.11.2006 - 22:12
necrovamp
Go and see them live. They are fantasicly amazingfull, brilliant atmospehere, utterly fantastic oh and the moch pits are fun too. (not your typical moch pit!) I musta lso mention the mid gig cool down, where they get a hot tub on stage and strip nacke (my girlfriend seemed to like this) then got out and whipped each other with tree branches, all too piano acordian music, very er interesting, every minute is worth your precious pennies
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
19.12.2006 - 23:58
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Has anyone taken a look at the Turisas studio journal for the upcoming album, its actually really entertaining:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/turisas/265404- turisas-studio-diary.html
----
- George Carlin
10.03.2007 - 20:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
any news of when the new album is coming out? they havnt updated the studio journal very much....
----
- George Carlin
12.03.2007 - 17:43
The Captain
Account deleted
I got Battle Metal a bit ago and it just makes me want to run through some fields and swings a big axe at anyone who stands in my way. God I love it. Sort of gives the same feeling as when i listen to Ensiferum but not quite as intense. Still a good album.
13.03.2007 - 00:22
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
yeah, play Battle Metal & Ensiferums 'Iron' on a mix list (turisas song-ensiferum song-turisas song) probably the best playlist i ever put together on my ipod.
----
- George Carlin
13.03.2007 - 05:25
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I must try it, perfect combination
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
13.03.2007 - 12:39
Eight
Shapeshifter
"Battle Metal" is a really good album, i like every single song they've got. I listen to them once in a while, not like from dusk till dawn. and cover art looks really great, Niklas Sundin did a good job again
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
13.03.2007 - 16:35
The Captain
Account deleted
Written by Eight on 13.03.2007 at 12:39

"Battle Metal" is a really good album, i like every single song they've got. I listen to them once in a while, not like from dusk till dawn. and cover art looks really great, Niklas Sundin did a good job again

The cover is pretty good. Niklas does a good job on everything he does. I am glad turisas got him to do their cover
13.03.2007 - 16:48
Skald
Account deleted
Written by [user id=3160] on 13.03.2007 at 06:22

Same as me dude, I love Battle Metal a lot but it doesn't have that same intensity that the other's like Ensiferum and Moonsorrow have in thier music but that aside it's still damn good to listen to.
Could you elaborate on your statement? Because as much as I exercise my imagination, I cannot fathom how someone could say those two bands are more intense than Turisas.
I mean, I'd understand if you said Manegarm. Asmegin? Sure, why not. Heck, there might even be some base for Thyrfing. But why on Earth would mellow Moonsorrow and simple Ensiferum top battle-ridden Turisas?
16.03.2007 - 07:33
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=1868] on 13.03.2007 at 16:48

Written by [user id=3160] on 13.03.2007 at 06:22

Same as me dude, I love Battle Metal a lot but it doesn't have that same intensity that the other's like Ensiferum and Moonsorrow have in thier music but that aside it's still damn good to listen to.
Could you elaborate on your statement? Because as much as I exercise my imagination, I cannot fathom how someone could say those two bands are more intense than Turisas.
I mean, I'd understand if you said Manegarm. Asmegin? Sure, why not. Heck, there might even be some base for Thyrfing. But why on Earth would mellow Moonsorrow and simple Ensiferum top battle-ridden Turisas?

I agree with you, Turisas are far more intense, but I think he just says that because Ensiferum seem to revolve more around guitars with a heavy sound, whereas Turisas revolve more around....well nothing, they use an array of instruments and they do it well, they dont seem to be stuck on one instrument throughout an entire album.

On another note, I wish theyd give more info on the upcoming album, like a release date, or perhaps even an album cover, name or track listing? they barely update the studio diary anymore.
----
- George Carlin
16.03.2007 - 08:33
Skald
Account deleted
Maybe, although I always think of Turisas as the "trumpet" band
17.03.2007 - 01:02
Daru Jericho
Turisas are great. Their keys are excellent and Nygard's vocals are interesting. One of my favourite folk metal bands for sure.

I saw them live last week and they played a new song (don't remember what it was called but the word 'beyond' was in it XD) and it sounded excellent, a logical progression. It was quite powerful and certainly completely away from Battle Metal (but in a good way). I actually thought they would progress in the direction of 'Midnight Sun', seeing as that song doesn't seem to fit on the album.

They're a great live band. Go see 'em ASAP!
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

22.03.2007 - 06:06
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
TURISAS UPDATED THE STUDIO JOURNAL FINALLY!!!! looks like the albums done- just need to wait for it to be unleashed. Warlord says its better than 'Battle Metal' thats hard to imagine but im excited anyways!

Oh by the way, would someone explain to me what happens at this 'Get In The Ring' competition that Turisas are competing in? I cant quite figure ouut if its actual fighting or are they just playing a gig....sort of battle of the bands.
----
- George Carlin
21.04.2007 - 10:38
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I found a youtube clip of them playing a new song, entitled 'To Holmgard and Beyond' the sound quality is bad but it should give you a good taste of whats to come, and it looks good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYsoUbP2-Vs
----
- George Carlin
25.04.2007 - 00:20
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
the new songs posted on there myspace are great! The vocals seemed to get alot better, the growls seem harsher, the choirs bigger and the clean vocals far more skilled. Just pre-ordered it.
----
- George Carlin
26.04.2007 - 14:09
SirHooke
I'm waiting for the new album to be released.. It has been too long, but hey, you can't really blame them, now can you? The songs on myspace are indeed great. And if what they're saying is true, that it's going to make Battle Metal sound like crap, we're in for one heck of an album
29.04.2007 - 01:08
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by SirHooke on 26.04.2007 at 14:09

that it's going to make Battle Metal sound like crap, we're in for one heck of an album

indeed.....like I cant even picture much that can top Battle Metal, its inconcievable. Anyways heres a funny comic I found about Turisas:

One question I have is Antti Ventola out of the band, all the vids Ive seen of Turisas recently Antti is nowhere to be seen, and hes no longer on the myspace.
----
- George Carlin
29.04.2007 - 05:04
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
So I looked into it and apparently Antti Ventola was no longer part of Turisas as of Feb 19, 2007....there was no news posted of it, I just found out through wiki.
----
- George Carlin
03.05.2007 - 10:18
Samhain
Account deleted
"Battle Metal" is definately one of my favorite metal albums of all time
03.05.2007 - 12:30
Almighty Ent
Dragon Reborn
Not a huge fan, in fact I find them kinda cheesey. One song I really like though is The Messenger.
20.05.2007 - 22:48
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
They are helping me to tune myself to the right "battle mood" before my upcoming final school leaving exam :-)
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

30.05.2007 - 01:06
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Has anyone picked up the new album yet?.... I pre-ordered it but it wont be in for another week or so.
----
- George Carlin
30.05.2007 - 01:37
W-Lash
Metal Master
I really doubt you would like like i want to say but:
i had possibility to listen some songs from Battle Metal and i understood that i can't listen such crap. And naming their playing style battle metal (i heard it somewhere) is a cheap trick to gain popularity.
30.05.2007 - 08:45
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Their new album is pretty good, more mature than the last one. I likw to think it sounds more toward Tyr or Korpiklanni rather than Battle Metal. Id give it a 7.5/10. I dont regard Turisas too highly in the 'folk/war' Metal scene. Asmegin, Ulver (early) , Opera IX (70% of their work is folk influenced), Ensiferum are better.
03.06.2007 - 09:56
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Im the exact opposite of you Cornatus, Turisas really re-sparked my interest in folk metal. I got into Finntroll when I first started listening to metal, then I looked into more folk metal and I just couldnt get into it, then I heard Turisas, and like I said, it rekindled what first intruiged me about folk metal, and from there I was able to further get into bands like Korpiklaani and Ensiferum, bands which didnt really impact me the first time I tried listening to them.

@W-Lash:
I dont think they call themselves 'Battle Metal' (atleast not to my knowledge). In fact, that song was originally called 'The Heart Of Turisas' before they changed the song around slightly.
----
- George Carlin
11.06.2007 - 23:55
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Dr.Rock single handedly keeping the Turisas thread alive.

Anyways, has anyone been to The Varangian Way website yet? Well judging by Warlords words in his commentary for 'Miklagard Overture' it seems like there is already a sequel in the works.....yay!
----
- George Carlin