Metal Storm logo
Neverwinter Nights

26.08.2012 - 17:43
IronAngel
Are there any Metalstormers who play this classic D&D adaptation? If the answer is no, tune in for this sales pitch!

NWN his Bioware's follow-up to the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series. It has a mediocre single player campaign and two decent expanions. What keeps it alive after 10 years is the fact that it's the best videogame adaptation of Dungeons & Dragons. The toolset lets people create their own worlds, you can find most of the privately hosted servers through Gamespy, and there are still plenty of active servers with pretty lively playerbases.

It's the only online game where I've found proper role-playing. And I'm not talking about joining a trade guild in WoW and selling flowers on the streets, or hanging around a tavern playing Blind Guardian ballads in LOTRO. Fact is, other MMORPGs are either hack'n'slash/grind experiences, or glorified shoutboxes (you know, bullshit like Second Life). World-changing politics, dark cabals, struggles over trade, factions based on the setting and characters worthy of a trilogy written about them - you'll only find that in NWN. I'm talking about real role-playing, staying in character playing through actual story arcs, with Dungeon Masters providing changes to the world and dynamic events. The graphics of the game are a bit dated, but the interface is smooth, the mechanics are effective and faithful to the turn-based D&D 3.5th edition rules, and there's more customization and tweaking allowed in character builds than most modern RPGs. If you like games from Baldur's Gate to Dragon Age, I don't see why you wouldn't like NWN.

I've played on a persistent world for 7 years myself, 3 of which I was a Dungeon Master. Amia is based on the Forgotten Realms setting (like the game itself) and covers both original and canon islands in the Sea of Swords, as well as places all across Faerûn (and the planes). This is one reason I'm posting here: more players would always be nice, so come check us out. There are some other good servers too. I enjoyed Escaped from the Underdark a lot in the past. It has a level range of only ~1-8 (as opposed to our 1-30) and is just more punishing generally. Some really good, dark and dangerous story-driven gaming, but a considerably smaller playerbase. There used to be some really fun zombie survival servers too, but I'm not sure if they're active anymore.

Buy the game dirt cheap
Amia forums
Amia introduction page

Have you played? Do you still play? Got sick of it? Good multiplayer experiences? Interest in running small campaigns for Metalstormers in your own module? Played tabletop D&D but don't have a gaming group right now and think this might be the remedy? Discuss the best platform for online D&D and creating your own worlds.

And if you think pretending to be a psychotic gnome with a taste for elf ears is lame and geeky, think again! If you still think so, you're probably in the wrong place.
26.08.2012 - 18:35
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Waiting for BG2 to come out again.

did buy NWN and NWN2 recently in some $30 or so megapack, but never got back into it. the skins for NWN are AFU.

the big problem i had with it back in the day was that it sucked in comparison to BG2 due to lack of a party. one of the things i most loved about BG2 was your npc's dealings with each other. limited when it is just you + sidekick.

did try to play some games online with friends from DAOC.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
26.08.2012 - 19:56
IronAngel
Oh yeah, it's nothing compared to BG2 (or the entire series) as a single player. NWN2 is a little better in that regard (especially Mask of the Betrayer, that story is actually good), but still not the same. There's also a certain charm of the old-school AD&D rules and multiclassing, compared to 3e's "customize everything." Can't wait for BG Enhanced. I tried playing BG as multiplayer with a party, but it was very awkward. (And obviously, there's only so many times you want to play the same railroaded story.) On a good RP server, NWN comes as close as possible to capturing the BG feel in multiplayer.

There's an NWN2 server actually based on Baldur's Gate and the surrounding Sword Coast. It's pretty good too, and I think the most populated NWN2 server still around. The game wasn't designed for multiplayer and private module hosting quite as smoothly as NWN though, so my server never moved over. We tried but it was a bit of a flop.
09.09.2012 - 10:53
Slayer666
Oh hell yeah, how did I not see this thread?

Awesome series, just awesome. I prefer the second installment, because it's party based and the character never cease to amuse me. Sand, Khelgar, Neeshka, Grobnar, and hell, even the Grand Duke of Dicks himself, Bishop. That Mask of Betrayer expansion has by far the best plot of any game I've ever played, so it gets even more points there.

This is pretty much my "go-to" game when there's nothing else to play.