Metal Storm logo
Top 20: My Favourite 'bad' Albums

Thumbs up: +4
List of albums that are often considered to be 'bad' (or at least not that good) however I can't agree with that opinions. This list also could be entitled: the most underrated albums of popular bands.

1. Alphabetic order
2. Only albums with rating less than 8

Created by: Hex_Omega | 06.01.2014

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Hex_Omega ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 38   Visited by: 213 users
06.01.2014 - 14:54
Lethrokai
I think you got the year wrong with Heritage.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
06.01.2014 - 14:57
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Lethrokai on 06.01.2014 at 14:54

Haha yes, sorry. Fixed.
06.01.2014 - 15:04
Lethrokai
Written by Hex_Omega on 06.01.2014 at 14:57

Written by Lethrokai on 06.01.2014 at 14:54

Haha yes, sorry. Fixed.

Other than that though, I quite agree with a lot of the choices on this list. Definitely agree with Load, Heritage and half of ADTOE. I only really enjoyed Drag Ropes off of Storm Corrosion, but that song was goddamn incredible.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
06.01.2014 - 16:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Since when is The Gathering - Always considered bad? It is the favourite The Gathering album by far for many a death doom fan. For me personally it is superior to anything they released afterwards, although Mandylion is great too.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.01.2014 - 18:42
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.01.2014 at 16:16

Since when is The Gathering - Always considered bad? It is the favourite The Gathering album by far for many a death doom fan. For me personally it is superior to anything they released afterwards, although Mandylion is great too.

Always is really underrated. It is not nearly as popular as Mandylion, Nighttime Birds or How To Measure A Planet? For many people The Gathering starts with Mandylion when Anneke joined the band and they treat 'Always' like it is a demo. Just look at ratings.
08.01.2014 - 16:29
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
5 and 8 are excellent albums.
08.01.2014 - 21:34
Erik M.
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.01.2014 at 16:16

True, only problem is that most The Gathering fans probably aren't death doom fans. I'm not a fan of that band, but I do think Always... is great, but Mandylion is still better to me, even though you know that I'm a death doom fan. Even Nighttime Birds isn't very good anymore to me. Way too poppy.
08.01.2014 - 21:47
Erik M.
For Lies I Sire is easily the worst MDB album if you ask me... I do agree with 34,788%... Complete though, as it's quite a bit better than most people give it credit for. It just scores points for originality, but even then it's nothing outstanding. The Old Man's Child album you have here is easily my 2nd favourite of them or it might even be tied with In Defiance of Existence. Both are extremely catchy and totally great if you ask me. Heritage is easily the weakest Opeth album so even though it's good, it's still nothing special unlike most other Opeth albums.
08.01.2014 - 22:21
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Erik M. on 08.01.2014 at 21:47

For Lies I Sire is easily the worst MDB album if you ask me...

It is sad, melancholic, melodic. Yes, it is different and maybe 'not Doom enough' but I like it. Violin is beautiful here.
04.03.2014 - 23:26
Gawain
Account deleted
Heritage is awesome, don't listen to the bullshit ratings of this site. remove it from this list please it disgraces it
07.03.2014 - 22:59
Erik M.
Written by Hex_Omega on 08.01.2014 at 22:21

It is sad, melancholic, melodic. Yes, it is different and maybe 'not Doom enough' but I like it. Violin is beautiful here.

Actually I find it too whiny. Whether it has a lot or not much doom isn't that important in this case. Next to that album being too whiny, it also feels like a bad rehash to me, so it scores low on originality. A Map of all Our Failures is much better, even though that one isn't nearly among my favourites either.
07.03.2014 - 23:02
Erik M.
Written by [user id=147752] on 04.03.2014 at 23:26

Heritage is awesome, don't listen to the bullshit ratings of this site. remove it from this list please it disgraces it

I find it to be their weakest album by far. That is not because it's not metal, as many Heritage-loving fans think it is, but because it's just a relatively boring and underwhelming album. For Opeth standards, it's quite weak, simple as that. Still not as bad as some people make it out to be though, just decent stuff.
10.03.2014 - 21:58
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Some of these albums I wouldn't consider bad. Maybe not 'very good' or brilliant but not bad.
10.03.2014 - 22:02
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by CyberSymphony on 10.03.2014 at 21:58

Some of these albums I wouldn't consider bad. Maybe not 'very good' or brilliant but not bad.

Which album is your favourite from these?
11.03.2014 - 20:17
CyberSymphony
Ollie
I wouldn't call any of these my favourites but ones I have listened are For All Tid, For Lies I Sire, City Of Echoes, Always... and obviously Heritage.
12.03.2014 - 01:32
Erik M.
My favourite from these is definitely Old Man's Child - Revelation 666 - The Curse Of Damnation. Awesome (catchy BM) album and indeed underrated.
12.03.2014 - 10:41
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by deadone on 12.03.2014 at 02:11

What's wrong with Iron Maiden's Final Frontier?

Good question.
12.03.2014 - 10:54
JohnDoe
Account deleted
How is The Gathering's debut a bad album?
12.03.2014 - 11:09
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by [user id=17278] on 12.03.2014 at 10:54

How is The Gathering's debut a bad album?

If you compare Always (7.8) to Mandylion (8.9)... Some people think that Always is a bad album. Why? Don't ask me...
13.03.2014 - 09:36
JohnDoe
Account deleted
You can't call this list - the most underrated albums of popular bands - of all the albums I know, neither is underrated.
13.03.2014 - 11:02
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by [user id=17278] on 13.03.2014 at 09:36

You can't call this list - the most underrated albums of popular bands - of all the albums I know, neither is underrated.

That's your opinion.
13.03.2014 - 11:23
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Hex_Omega on 13.03.2014 at 11:02

Written by [user id=17278] on 13.03.2014 at 09:36

That's your opinion.

obviously

but i just don't see how ADTOE or Load are underrated? Or The Final Frontier?

Never Say Die is BS's least inspired album with Ozzy (although I would not call it a bad album), I think it was just done for contractual reason, the band was a mess anyway at that time. As for the album with Gillan, it's not a bad album, but it's not that good either. I've never heard it being called underrated before though.

I love Opeth's Heritage. I see nothing wrong with it.
13.03.2014 - 11:28
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by [user id=17278] on 13.03.2014 at 11:23

but i just don't see how ADTOE or Load are underrated? Or The Final Frontier?

Never Say Die is BS's least inspired album with Ozzy (although I would not call it a bad album), I think it was just done for contractual reason, the band was a mess anyway at that time. As for the album with Gillan, it's not a bad album, but it's not that good either. I've never heard it being called underrated before though.

I like these albums and they are underrated in my opinion. This is my personal list. Simply
13.03.2014 - 11:34
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Hex_Omega on 13.03.2014 at 11:28

I like these albums and they are underrated in my opinion. This is my personal list. Simply

I get that, everyone is entitled to an opinion, I just don't understand yours.
13.03.2014 - 11:46
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by [user id=17278] on 13.03.2014 at 11:34

Written by Hex_Omega on 13.03.2014 at 11:28

I get that, everyone is entitled to an opinion, I just don't understand yours.

Ok, so:

- ADTOE: I really like this album, why? Because it is less 'metal' and more 'progressive' than DT previous albums. It might be more popish, but I don't care, because it actually sounds really like a DT album and it has typical elements for DT. Not like Systematic Chaos which was wanna-be Metallica album.

- Load? Catchy Hard Rock. Why everybody hates it? Because it is not Thrash? I don't care, I like it.

- The Final Fronter is as I said IMO a cool Progressive Heavy Metal albums. Not very fast, but quite atmospheric and proggy.

- Never Say Die is again quite proggy and atmospheric. Just listen to Air Dance.

- Born Again is awesome. Zero The Hero is evil with Amazing solo. Title track is very sad and atmospheric. Cool riffs, vocals, everything...
13.03.2014 - 13:27
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:

Ok, so:

- ADTOE: I really like this album, why? Because it is less 'metal' and more 'progressive' than DT previous albums. It might be more popish, but I don't care, because it actually sounds really like a DT album and it has typical elements for DT. Not like Systematic Chaos which was wanna-be Metallica album.

- Load? Catchy Hard Rock. Why everybody hates it? Because it is not Thrash? I don't care, I like it.

- The Final Fronter is as I said IMO a cool Progressive Heavy Metal albums. Not very fast, but quite atmospheric and proggy.

- Never Say Die is again quite proggy and atmospheric. Just listen to Air Dance.

- Born Again is awesome. Zero The Hero is evil with Amazing solo. Title track is very sad and atmospheric. Cool riffs, vocals, everything...

You misunderstood, it's not why you like them what I do not get (I like some of them,too), but why call them underrated?
13.03.2014 - 15:09
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Quote:
Quote:
Written by [user id=17278] on 13.03.2014 at 13:27

Ok, so:

You misunderstood, it's not why you like them what I do not get (I like some of them,too), but why call them underrated?

Oh ok... Well, for example if I like Load but it is ranked 6.4 on Metalstorm... In my opinion it deserves 8+ rating, so that's obvious that I call it 'underrated'.

I also wrote above -> '2. Only albums with rating less than 8' and all of them have such rating.
13.03.2014 - 20:36
Erik M.
Written by Hex_Omega on 12.03.2014 at 11:09

If you compare Always (7.8) to Mandylion (8.9)... Some people think that Always is a bad album. Why? Don't ask me...

It's because the style of the debut is very different from all their other albums. Most The Gathering fans probably don't enjoy death doom metal, hence the relatively low score. Even though I find Always... a very good album, I still like Mandylion a lot more. That album is far more original and unique than Always..., which is simply a solid death doom effort but nothing special at all (for me).
13.03.2014 - 20:42
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Erik M. on 13.03.2014 at 20:36

It's because the style of the debut is very different from all their other albums.

I disagree. What about Ulver albums 'Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr I 5 Capitler' and 'Perdition City'? Same situation, different ratings.
14.03.2014 - 13:11
Aristarchos
There are a lot of albums with rate lower than 8 that I love. My favourites are Reroute To Remain besides Behemoth's first two.

Hits total: 3689 | This month: 8