08. Malignia
09. The Future Is Dark
10. La Baphomette
11. Until We Are No Less [limited edition bonus]
12. Doomina [limited edition bonus]
13. Last Of Them [limited edition bonus]
14. The Past Is Darker [limited edition bonus]

Additional info
Produced, mixed and mastered by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios in Stockholm and Örebro, Sweden, Fall 2014.
Guitar and bass recordings by David Castillo.
Mixing assistance and additional editing by Linus Corneliusson.
Pre-produced at Inferno Studios, Portugal, by Jens Bogren and Moonspell.

Cover and artwork by Seth Siro Anton.
Album design by Sara Vilhena.
Band photos by Edgar Keats.
Make up by Mara d'Elean (Sintra, Portugal).

Tracks 11 to 14 are "Re-Extinct (The Event Horizon Mixes)" limited edition bonus tracks.

Staff review by
Ivor
Rating:
N/A
I figured Extinct to be one of those albums that offer instant gratification; you know, the one that gets you smiling when you listen to it the first time around, evoking the same emotions over and over on each subsequent visit. Because this album is actually almost that good. But the more I listen to it, the less I can figure out and pinpoint that little something that rubs me the wrong way.

Read more ››
published 23.03.2015 | Comments (11)

Found in 59 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 61   Visited by: 1517 users
15.03.2015 - 12:37
Rating: 9
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Ag Fox on 15.03.2015 at 11:31

The artwork and the bonus tracks are really bad, but the rest of the album is rather enjoyable. I'm rather surprised...

Yes, the bonus tracks really didn't need to be there. It's a waste of space really. Overall, I like the album too.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
15.03.2015 - 15:48
Therapy?
Written by The Melting Snow on 13.03.2015 at 17:38

Written by Therapy? on 13.03.2015 at 16:35

I'm going to check them out live tonight since my brother really wanted to go. I don't think I will regret it.

So how was the live performance? Which new songs did they play?

It was really good, actually! Great live performance, and a very sympathetic vocalist. They played the songs robpal mentioned, and also quite a few from Wolfheart actually, because it's the albums' 20th anniversary. I don't know the other albums well enough to know what else they played, sorry!
15.03.2015 - 18:47
Rating: 7
God Alone
Quite good, nothing overly exciting but it's a fine example of a genre I usually don't love. The only track that didn't quite fit was the closer La Baphomette.
17.03.2015 - 20:57
Rating: 8
Eternity'sChild
Now I think I can savely say that I really like the album and surprisingly just the first song "Breathe", which I really liked when I heard it at first, turned out to be imo one of the weakest tracks (though I still enjoy it). The 2nd version of Domina, one of the bonus tracks, is quite good too imo, I'm not sure which version I prefer.
18.03.2015 - 08:50
Rating: 10
azhidahakk
Written by The Melting Snow on 09.03.2015 at 17:56

Written by azhidahakk on 09.03.2015 at 09:57

Do you hear the lady is singing persian in the song "Medasalem" around 3:25 ?
the album is so stunning <3 \,,/

Yeah I noticed that. translation please?

here is the persian lyrics:
سرزمین شیران زمین ..
سرزمین غم و درد!
شن های طلائی ..
سرخ شده به رنگ خون!
ما می رهانیم شما را ..
از قفل و زنجیر!

and here is my own translation:
"land of lionhearted's*
land of sorrow and pain!
golden sands...
painted red with blood!
we will free you...
from chain and lock!"

* : i don't really know how to translate this word , in general it means the land of brave and lionhearted people.
i dont know where "milk & honey" come from
21.03.2015 - 18:34
Erik M.
Sadly, it's as I feared: pretty poppy and cheesy stuff. I really hope it's a grower. Musically it's very good, but the lyrics just ruin it for me.

Wolfheart is brilliant and a lot of their other stuff is great, but they really have come to sound generic over the years.
22.03.2015 - 11:52
Written by Erik M. on 21.03.2015 at 18:34

Sadly, it's as I feared: pretty poppy and cheesy stuff. I really hope it's a grower. Musically it's very good, but the lyrics just ruin it for me.

Wolfheart is brilliant and a lot of their other stuff is great, but they really have come to sound generic over the years.

I was expecting you to like this more, given Fernando's clean vocals and the overall melancholic feel of the album. Though i agree with the lyrics thing, partly. too simple and poppy for Moonspell in some places
24.03.2015 - 17:27
musicalkaratekid
Excellent new album from Moonspell. I really like how the Gothic atmosphere is used throughout the album, not in an overblown way like in past albums but just enough to complement the more metallic side of the instrumentation, and the vocal delivery for the most part is also just as effective. Most of the songs here are just as consistent as as fluent as they need to be, with perhaps the exception of "The Last of Us" and "A Dying Breed" (They didn't impress me as much as the others).
25.03.2015 - 00:13
Hooman
Written by azhidahakk on 18.03.2015 at 08:50

سرزمین شیران زمین ..
سرزمین غم و درد!
شن های طلائی ..
سرخ شده به رنگ خون!
ما می رهانیم شما را ..
از قفل و زنجیر!

"land of lionhearted's*
land of sorrow and pain!
golden sands...
painted red with blood!
we will free you...
from chain and lock!"

* : i don't really know how to translate this word , in general it means the land of brave and lionhearted people.

I thought she sings: سرزمین شیراز and I was wondering why shiraz?! ))
anyway, why persian?
25.03.2015 - 17:32
s_t_s
This album is an incredible grower tho my favourite tracks are definitely "Breathe" and "The Future is Dark". Not a good idea to play "The last of Us" live tho, a bit too mellow imho.

PS : I don't like the bonus tracks tho, being mixes of original tracks, they bring nothing but confusion to the whole album. For once, I'll go for the standard edition instead of the Deluxe.
25.03.2015 - 17:52
MechanisT
Account deleted
Started off on a pretty weak note, then got progressively stronger. Personal highlight would definitely be "The Future is Dark." A really nice throwback to the Irreligious/ Sin/Pecado period, when they were at their peak.
26.03.2015 - 21:51
Erik M.
Written by [user id=109200] on 25.03.2015 at 17:52

Started off on a pretty weak note, then got progressively stronger. Personal highlight would definitely be "The Future is Dark." A really nice throwback to the Irreligious/ Sin/Pecado period, when they were at their peak.

Their peak was Wolfheart, but can't entirely disagree with you of course, since Irreligious and Sin/Pecado are their best albums after Wolfheart.
26.03.2015 - 21:53
Erik M.
Written by The Melting Snow on 22.03.2015 at 11:52

I was expecting you to like this more, given Fernando's clean vocals and the overall melancholic feel of the album. Though i agree with the lyrics thing, partly. too simple and poppy for Moonspell in some places

Well, actually you're right. Spinning it for the 2nd time now and I like it a lot more than the first time. So a 7 for now feels fitting. Will definitely be giving it more spins in the coming weeks.
27.03.2015 - 12:02
Rating: 10
azhidahakk
Written by Hooman on 25.03.2015 at 00:13

سرزمین شیران زمین ..
سرزمین غم و درد!
شن های طلائی ..
سرخ شده به رنگ خون!
ما می رهانیم شما را ..
از قفل و زنجیر!

"land of lionhearted's*
land of sorrow and pain!
golden sands...
painted red with blood!
we will free you...
from chain and lock!"

anyway, why persian?

lets ask the band XD
28.03.2015 - 23:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Powerful come back, I cant describe this, usually opening albums ate so great, they goes down, real gothic, even The 69 Eyes elements are weaker in album, as we listen singles, still its real gothic, not band where has not so good looking female singer, puts on gothic dress, plays boring prog, what so ever music, and ppls ay its gothic, I don't discuss how big labels ruined that genre whit bad bands, music doesn't matter , main key is female singer. Fernando Riberio one of rare musician what whom I want to drink a wine and have some talks.
His artistic talent is why band cant stay in one sound, I don't like artwork, music, even video , those litex girls arte ugly , I would direct it batter , but music on album mater, its damn great, simply you can play it all time , I wont predict but TOP 3 in 2015 it might be, if it wont then people music taste (well most of ppl are talented whit overrating shit bands anyway)
I didn't expect this so good, but time to say negative --- but I cant find in this album. Even lyrics are great to all songs, fits to music, what is rare case in albums , unless you're mid 90's doomster
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.04.2015 - 15:03
hamG
I really like this CD. They took a particular approach with the style and just wrote great tracks. Simplicity done well is still pleasing to my ear.
06.04.2015 - 14:46
BestDay
Written by azhidahakk on 27.03.2015 at 12:02

Written by Hooman on 25.03.2015 at 00:13

سرزمین شیران زمین ..
سرزمین غم و درد!
شن های طلائی ..
سرخ شده به رنگ خون!
ما می رهانیم شما را ..
از قفل و زنجیر!

"land of lionhearted's*
land of sorrow and pain!
golden sands...
painted red with blood!
we will free you...
from chain and lock!"

anyway, why persian?

lets ask the band XD

No No No She Didn't Say it.
She Said:

سرزمین شیر و عسل
Translated: The Land of Milk & Honey.

this is the True lyric.

Fantastic that Persian Vocal used in this song.
anybody know why? what's story?
06.04.2015 - 15:17
Ilham
Giant robot
Does nobody know how to trim their fucking mega quotes?
16.04.2015 - 09:44
Windrider
Raureif
Written by Ilham on 06.04.2015 at 15:17

trim fucking mega quotes

+1
28.04.2015 - 01:17
Rating: 6
Korah
Moonspell - Extinct = Best 2015 album on 28th April...Are you serious guys ? The first three tracks are pretty good but the others are average, I really don't understand!!!!!!
----
Don't cry for my English
28.04.2015 - 11:02
Sword_Chant
Written by Korah on 28.04.2015 at 01:17

Moonspell - Extinct = Best 2015 album on 28th April...Are you serious guys ? The first three tracks are pretty good but the others are average, I really don't understand!!!!!!

I don't know about any other MS users but for me this album was a grower. At first I thought this was average, but now I find it one of the most listenable albums from 2015.
20.05.2015 - 14:41
Rating: 6
Reaper_Redeemer
I found some tracks interesting like "breathe", "domina" and somewhat "the last of us". The rest of it was bad by any means, including the track "extinct", so overrated.
14.06.2015 - 03:05
The last of us has to be one of the worst tracks I've heard this year imo. My favourites here are medusalem, domina and malignia, those are really good.
06.09.2015 - 17:11
musclassia
Staff
I've never held any interest in Moonspell before - I've heard Wolfheart, Irreligious and AN/OW without any making any lasting impact. Add into that the staggeringly crap artwork and I'd written off listening to this release, but on a whim looked it up today. Wow, this is far and away the best thing I've heard by the band - excellent guitar melodies and riffs, evocative vocals, intelligent backing orchestrations - it is admittedly slightly stronger in the first half relative to the second half, but still a rather fine record, and something of a surprise for me.
07.09.2015 - 08:18
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Epic, powerful and packed with lot of emotions. Seriously good album and possibly the first Gothic metal record I fully enjoy.
24.09.2015 - 00:23
Nicko's Nose
Ok album, but top 5 of the year? Wow...
02.03.2016 - 10:15
Winner of best gothic metal album, 2015
17.03.2016 - 22:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by The Melting Snow on 02.03.2016 at 10:15

Winner of best gothic metal album, 2015

it deserved, even my vote was for other band what ms seems don't like and I think whit new singer that band is awesome
This album is simply something what band should be like !!!! excellent masterpiece
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.11.2016 - 10:03
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Their best along with Night Eternal imo. Very different albums; this one is more melodic and less extreme and it has great songwriting.. Breathe, Extinct, Malignia and Funeral Bloom my fav songs.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
20.04.2017 - 05:46
solar
+1 for the vocals. Really enjoyed it, particularly the clean ones. The songs just flow through symphonies. Easy, enjoyable record.

Hits total: 36868 | This month: 34