Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm Awards 2006 - Results

2006 was a very interesting year in Metal: a lot of releases and many by "big names." Now that the voting is over, it is time to announce what albums can truly be called Metalstormers' choice for "Best Album Of 2006" in all the different categories. It were your votes that have decided which albums deserve this title. It is also a high time to make some critical reflections on these results.

A remarkable observation is that "big names" have won in almost every genre. One could ask oneself if this is truly surprising. As striking as it is, some of the "big names" also appear in the Top 10 of Letdown of the year. Among the first six ranks alone, we find one silver second place and three golden winners of the Awards in their specific genre! Take a moment to reflect whether these bands have truly made outstanding albums or if it is their fame and reputation that has helped them on the throne once again crushing contestants on the way. Can a band's name outweigh the quality and effort?

The biggest winners of this third edition of the Metal Storm Awards are Angtoria and Moonspell, the former winning in three categories, the latter in two, and both of them winning all the categories in which they were nominated for! Talk about a remarkable performance. Angtoria has even another silver second place in The Biggest Surprise of the year, close behind Metal Storm's cuddly toy Diablo Swing Orchestra, who came second in both categories they were nominated for.

Another remarkable surprise was the battle in the Death Metal category with Cannibal Corpse taking the win. In addition the Grindcore category was pretty tense between Cattle Decapitation and Whorecore, the former becoming the winner, and with Napalm Death popping up fourth out of the blue without even being nominated! Some of the more convincing winners of their genre this year were Tool, Celtic Frost, Amon Amarth, Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, Moonspell, Evergrey and Slayer, who all left a relatively big and sometimes even an impressive gap to gape at by their pursuers.

On a side note, Metal Storm Awards 2006 were also marked by a little "drama" which cannot stay unmentioned. Namely, the Dissection management were not pleased with the nomination of "Reinkaos" in the Melodeath/Gothenburg category, and kindly asked to pull back the bands nomination in that genre. That wish was respected. However, for the completeness of the record, "Reinkaos" ended up 9th as The Biggest Letdown of the year.

In conclusion it must be said that whatever the results, another great year filled with music has passed. Let us treasure the best of it and move on, as 2007 promises to be at least as good as 2006. Hereby, Metal Storm Staff would like to congratulate all the winners and everyone who made it to the awards nominations. No good effort ever goes unnoticed!

Feel free to discuss the results and give your opinion in the shoutbox and forums!

Yours, Metal Storm Staff.

All the results can be found at http://www.metalstorm.ee/awards.
Posted: 03.03.2007 by Ivor

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 39   Visited by: 34 users
03.03.2007 - 17:29
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Disappointed with the Deam Metal result, so many great choises and the crap that is Kill wins.

A good effort though, I liked to vote for this myself.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
03.03.2007 - 17:39
Lupas
Maximus
Great sucess for Angtoria with 3 wins . I have found this band awesome. Also , after a year without any activity , nightwish have win in best dvd , and it was a well dvd from them ( if there where no much attention to that crying girls would be the best ever )
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
03.03.2007 - 18:41
Lady Bathory
Alright, best black metal album; Satyricon?! Thrash; Christ Illusion, Please don't get me wrong, I am a devout Slayer fan, but I just can't help but admit that this wasn't their best album. There were a few good tracks, but still. Same goes for Maiden. I live and love them, but I wasn't all too impressed with AMOLAD. Well, Cannibal Corpse have done it again, but I'm afraid I have something to say about this too. Although they had continued their bone crushing blood curdling decapitating legacy, KILL was definatey not a Tomb of the Mutilated. As for Tool, 10,000 days is lower on the podium when compared to Lateralus. Alright, enough of me bitching. Obvioulsey those who won, won for a reason, so good on you. We'll see how it goes for 2007! HORNS UP
03.03.2007 - 18:52
dancingdecember
well,bands didnt compete against their early albums so their new albums can win against other bands albums.i can understand that.but i cant help but feel that agalloch is underrated..they are always no1 in my heart and i would prefer cult of luna over isis.in bm enslaved could be no1 bu im ok with satyricon.and in dm..they are all no1
----
i'm super, thanks for asking
03.03.2007 - 19:06
iaberis
Advice Troll
Too much ignorance... the voters voted for all the famous bands and the write in votes didn't have much chances...
----
Bitch! Please
03.03.2007 - 19:15
Black_Handed
A village idiot
quite a shame that no write-in votes came into dm top ten. there was Anata, Trepalium, Spawn of Possession and such...each one of them better than average Kill.

hmm but whatever im not the majority so what.

one the other hand im glad that uneXpect broke into it on 5th place (better than nothing in avantgarde, they definitely deserve it.
----

Cryptic Bleak Smurf of Ur
03.03.2007 - 20:03
Carrion
Account deleted
Yeah kinda makes me think, how many "really famous band" did I vote..? Hm, well hopefully I'll be smarter in the 2007 awards.
03.03.2007 - 20:59
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
yeah the Korpiklaani and Blind Guardian album were damn good

but for Power Metal i would have voted for The new HammerFall (too bad I didn't)
03.03.2007 - 21:38
Basso
Account deleted
Written by iaberis on 03.03.2007 at 19:06

Too much ignorance... the voters voted for all the famous bands and the write in votes didn't have much chances...

I agree, I didnt vote in the pools I lacked knowledge in... But looks like everyone voted in everything and took the first best band they know.
(The only way Satyricon could have won the BM vote lol ^^)
03.03.2007 - 21:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Alternative Metal - Dont care so much but its ok whit Tool

Atmospheric/Symphonic Metal - Axctualy Im suprised werry suprised becausse otther bands has lov results specely Silentuim

Avantgarde Metal - No suprises

Black Metal - No not Satyricon other band splseese but not them, its awfull album what thay criate, noo

Death Metal - Dont care so much but well ...

Doom Metal - disapointment becaus tehere are mor ebeter bands how katatonia who shood in award

Extreme Doom Metal - well why not?

Folk/Pagan/Viking Metal - hahaha no supriss seems this band are mor epopular how others

Gothic Metal
- No suprises realy no suprises but I vote for other

Grindcore - Someone cares

Heavy Metal
- Hahahah and I know it , I realy know winner

Melodeath/Gothenburg
- Good one Amon Amarth realy was best in that year

[Post-Metal
/b] - Its ok

[b]Power Metal
- Of corse who else

Progressive Metal - well its realy gooid album an dother bands are so rear know for us

Suomi Metal - you all wote becaus etherr are sexy singer

Thrash Metal - Why? Why? Sadus shood win
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.03.2007 - 23:09
ylside
Staff
...Cannibal Corpse, seriously... :

EDIT : And Congrats for Diablo Swing Orchestra !! They surely deserve that.
03.03.2007 - 23:21
Martinikuss
Written by [user id=5394] on 03.03.2007 at 21:38

Written by iaberis on 03.03.2007 at 19:06

I agree, I didnt vote in the pools I lacked knowledge in... But looks like everyone voted in everything and took the first best band they know.
(The only way Satyricon could have won the BM vote lol ^^)

I totally agree !!!
03.03.2007 - 23:59
Daru Jericho
I don't think I voted for this but I doubt my vote would have matterd. I'm not suprirsed the most popular bands won. That's obvious. I do heinously disagree with most of those chouces. Props go to Angtoria and DSM. They deserved it.

Also, why is it doom metal gets seperated into doom and extreme doom yet folk metal has to share with Viking metal? I consider folk and viking two completely different genres (and I don't think pagan metal exists, except when describing lyrical themes like Tolkien metal). Why not do power metal and extreme power metal?

Oh well, one can never please everybody.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

04.03.2007 - 00:13
W-Lash
Metal Master
I voted only in some sections and the only one vote that won is Amon Amarth. It was quite obvious that it had to win.
04.03.2007 - 00:55
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Even though Cannibal Corpse won, I'm very annoyed that Zyklon had more votes than Suffocation.
04.03.2007 - 04:30
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
totally disappointed with the power metal category. Blind Guardian's album was atrocious
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
04.03.2007 - 04:37
Firewalker
Very good staff¡¡¡¡

Tnahks for respect the fans vote. I am just Disappointed with Nightwish as a winner of best DVD award....I think we loose the chance to make Therion more special to the fans. Nighwtish is good (and nothing on this days) but comparated with therion? (please). Celebrators of Becoming are good in art, in content, in the live show and Christopher coments....want more?. Oh yes...Celebrators of Becoming tells every detail about the history and origin of one of the most important and famous ACTIVE METAL BAND.

Thank to staff...good job¡¡¡¡¡
04.03.2007 - 05:16
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Cannibal Corpse won the DM awards! that's a surprise to me, although its an excellent album. I was hoping that deicide would win.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
04.03.2007 - 08:00
Eternal Flames
I'm a bit surprised with some of the results. Now it's not that I wasn't expecting the "bigger" bands to win it (Cannibal Corpse, Iron Maiden, Slayer etc), although it's a bit of an upset for me that they won by such a large number of votes. Personally, I agree with the staff on the "Power Metal" section that Pyramaze's Legend Of The Bone Carver definitely deserved to be ranked somewhere in the top three. I myself did not vote on all the genres though. I only voted in the sections where I had heard all (or close to all) the albums that were nominated.

I did agree with a few of the wins however. Amon Amarth deserved it in my opinion. I really liked their new album. Satyricon's Now, Diabolical wasn't a bad album. It was quite decent in fact, however, I don't think it was the best black metal album of the year, especially when comparing it to some of those other bands that were nominated.
04.03.2007 - 10:08
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Hehe as usual, nothing i voted for wins.
The biggest surprise is Angtoria winning so many awards? Its just an ordianry Gothic Metal album with no originality, i mean its alright, im not saying its bad, but compared to other things. In the Atmospheric / Symphonic part, i still feel Edenbridges was the best pic, it was the one list i had heard of most of the bands releases for this year. (I still really need to heard Lunaticas though).

I still think BG has the biggest letdown, it doesnt mean worst album, but by expectations. Everyone expected BG to really another amazing album, and although not terrible, it was a big let down with all the filler in it.
Rhapsody was runner up for letdown, yet their album was TERRIBLE, but my expectations were something higher, i thought they would change sound after becoming so repetitive, but no.

Communic came close in Prog. As they did last year in 'best debut', which is good.
04.03.2007 - 10:57
FOOCK Nam
I accept the voting, though really surprise that Agalloch, Deicide didnt won:(
04.03.2007 - 11:57
gid
I must admit, I was surprised to see Agalloch in the gothic metal category and Katatonia's new album in the doom metal category. I don't think that did either category any favours (I'd really have liked to have seen Saturnus win the doom metal category - Veronika Decides to Die was a perfect doom metal album).
04.03.2007 - 18:14
tulkas
el parcero
I actually agree with these awards.

CoF as biggest letdown, hell yeah! besides, it's Cof, can't expect much

Blind Guardian, best power metal, yeah, it's not their best album, but it's still good.

Slayer for thrash metal, ooohhh yeaahhh!! Slayer continues to rule!

Melodeath for Amon Amarth, quite right. Another band that's kept their excellent sound through their career.

One thing I don't agree much is the one for BM, one reason could be me not liking Satyricon that much, but the other reason is that the album Emissaries from Melechesh is one hell of an album!!

Anyway, that's just my opinion...
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
04.03.2007 - 19:57
Damnated
Churchburner
best bm : satyricon. lmao.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
04.03.2007 - 21:00
Sunioj
Man, I really wanted Melechesh to win the BM part, I really dont see anything grounbreaking for Satyricon or inspiring. Maybe popular, and thats really it....

Guesss we cant get everything
04.03.2007 - 22:13
matos
Wtf ?! Satyricon are my favourite band, but Now, diabolical just isn't a very good BM album! fuck, how could this happen ? I was sure Keep of Kalessin was gonna take the gold!
----
04.03.2007 - 22:52
Sunioj
Written by matos on 04.03.2007 at 22:13

Wtf ?! Satyricon are my favourite band, but Now, diabolical just isn't a very good BM album! fuck, how could this happen ? I was sure Keep of Kalessin was gonna take the gold!

Naw, I love Satyricon too but this album is too much...
04.03.2007 - 23:32
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Written by Daru Jericho on 03.03.2007 at 23:59
Also, why is it doom metal gets seperated into doom and extreme doom yet folk metal has to share with Viking metal? I consider folk and viking two completely different genres (and I don't think pagan metal exists, except when describing lyrical themes like Tolkien metal). Why not do power metal and extreme power metal?

Simple. We had too few folk, viking and pagan metal entries to put them into two separate categories, so since those were the closest to each other we merged them. On the other hand we had too many doom metal releases, so we had to split that category into two. Originally the same was planned for black metal, but was dropped later on. And to be exact the Melodeath/Gothenburg Metal category was supposed to be called Melodeath/Gothenburg/Extreme Power Metal, but as the name was too long for the menu or something, it got truncated. But that basically was the reason why Norther was to be found in that category while they are neither melodeath nor Gothenburg metal.

Written by Firewalker on 04.03.2007 at 04:37

Very good staff¡¡¡¡

Tnahks for respect the fans vote. I am just Disappointed with Nightwish as a winner of best DVD award....I think we loose the chance to make Therion more special to the fans. Nighwtish is good (and nothing on this days) but comparated with therion? (please). Celebrators of Becoming are good in art, in content, in the live show and Christopher coments....want more?. Oh yes...Celebrators of Becoming tells every detail about the history and origin of one of the most important and famous ACTIVE METAL BAND.

Thank to staff...good job¡¡¡¡¡

If you read the staff conclusion in that category, you'll see that you are not alone with your opinion
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
05.03.2007 - 05:03
the stranger
It's funny how a non-doom album won the doom award.
05.03.2007 - 05:07
Herzebeth
Bleh... those results are the ones people choosed, so be it...I'll keep on hearing my favorites though
----

Hits total: 3532 | This month: 2