07. Pray
08. Only Pain
09. Low Lands
10. Liberation

The Best Alternative Metal Album Of 2016

Guest review by
musclassia
Rating:
Across their career thus far, and most notably on From Mars To Sirius and The Way Of All Flesh, Gojira have developed a reputation for playing an intensely heavy, percussive, and groovy brand of progressive metal, relentless yet hooky with ambitious, often lengthy songwriting. Whilst a sizeable number of bands have at some point in their career softened and/or streamlined their approach to develop a more widely accessible sound, for a band so renowned for their heaviness and, to a lesser degree, complexity, as Gojira, toning down those aspects of their sound could be considered a real risk. However, with 2016's Magma, they deliver an album that is by no means soft or simple, but which is a clear sonic departure from the likes of "Backbone" and "The Art Of Dying" from previous albums. How has this decision paid off for them? Well, in this humble reviewer's opinion, while this album doesn't rival the aforementioned albums as the band's best work, there are more than enough positive and interesting things about the new approach for it to avoid being classified as a failure.

Read more ››
published 02.01.2017 | Comments (2)

Found in 76 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 113   Visited by: 1410 users
23.06.2016 - 18:25
Rating: 7
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
If we're rating this in terms of being a progressive metal album, it's not very good. If we're rating it in terms of being a hard rock record, it's one of the best this year.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
24.06.2016 - 14:40
Rating: 8
itzabyss
It is different from their previous albums, and that's a good thing. try something else. I'm okay with it
25.06.2016 - 00:28
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
"Man, this metal album isn't as heavy as I'd like. Fuck these French assholes. Gotta get on the internet and post how I think this album is, by any stretch of the imagination, a radio rock album. That'll fuckin' show 'em."
27.06.2016 - 06:23
Overrwatcher
This was my intro album to Gojira. I really, really liked the more metal parts of the album (Stranded especially), but felt as if the softer segments were too long and drawn-out.

But that's why their old albums exist. I've been looking through them and I'm in love. Count me in as a fan.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
28.06.2016 - 20:31
I definitely get where people are coming from in saying that this isn't Gojira's best album, but I've been completely loving it. There's so much raw emotion in a couple of the songs, and that aimless wandering feeling in the second half feels exactly in place for what they're going through.

It's no Mars to Sirius, but it's still pretty damn good.
29.06.2016 - 14:42
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Law of Broses on 28.06.2016 at 20:31

Which every Gojira fan would see if they dropped the "I want them to play what I want" attitude.
Seriously, people should focus more on listening to actual music as opposed to confronting music with their own expectations.
29.06.2016 - 22:14
svartberger
I love this band maybe and that's the reason i can't rate this album any higher because it definitly doesn't have those crushing gojira moments i always looked for in this band, i get this is supposed to sound different from their previous material and good for them trying to innovate and stuff, but still this album lacks the gojira flavor i've always loved
04.07.2016 - 11:01
Rating: 5
RazMan
Written by Daniell on 29.06.2016 at 14:42

Written by Law of Broses on 28.06.2016 at 20:31

Which every Gojira fan would see if they dropped the "I want them to play what I want" attitude.
Seriously, people should focus more on listening to actual music as opposed to confronting music with their own expectations.

Well, I expected a good album, don't care which style it is. But when aggression and strange beat changes and time signatures are removed from Gojiras sound you end up with a result that is not that good. Take something good out and it needs to be replaced with something else... What's the point of making an album that is not even close to as good as the previous releases? I would never choose to listen to this album instead of any of their previous ones. I am pretty sure all the members of Gojira know this as well. I don't see how they could be satisfied with what they did on Magma.
04.07.2016 - 11:25
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by RazMan on 04.07.2016 at 11:01

Well, I expected a good album, don't care which style it is. But when aggression and strange beat changes and time signatures are removed from Gojiras sound you end up with a result that is not that good.

Thanks for proving my point.
05.07.2016 - 15:37
Still a great album for sure, Gojira has something unique.
07.07.2016 - 09:10
Rating: 9
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
That title track is hypnotic. Killer!
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
10.07.2016 - 05:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Well the entire album is extremely good. Loads better than the previous two. Okay I still prefer From Mars To Sirius, but this comes in third.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.07.2016 - 07:25
Kuroboshi
I like the riffing, and at times I feel it might be better than L'enfant Sauvage, but in the end it kind of falls a bit flat. It lacks the punch and inspiration of earlier records, even if there are sprinkles of heaven here and there. I think I will still listen to it from time to time, and I like the direction, but overall a bit disappointing. This could have been much better.
21.07.2016 - 10:13
yeah1980
I think this is a very good album, "slower" than the previous ones, but in my opinion the songwritimg is good, and I like very much the production as well!
----
"Be water, my friend" (Bruce Lee)
21.07.2016 - 18:03
CynicalRush
Overall a good album, but lacks the consistency to be a classic. However, Stranded and Silvera are both great additions to their setlist, somehow makes their set more complete.
22.07.2016 - 20:17
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.07.2016 at 05:26

Well the entire album is extremely good. Loads better than the previous two. Okay I still prefer From Mars To Sirius, but this comes in third.

I'm quite surprised, thought you would be the last person to like it.
I think it's good, they are Gojira after all, but still I don't enjoy this direction that much.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
23.07.2016 - 06:43
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Daggon on 22.07.2016 at 20:17

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.07.2016 at 05:26

but still I don't enjoy this direction that much.

That's the issue.

Well, if you compare to last two albums it sounds pretty different. But, when it comes to totality, musical structure, depth and sound i still prefer Sauvage over this.
24.07.2016 - 22:35
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 23.07.2016 at 06:43

Well, if you compare to last two albums it sounds pretty different. But, when it comes to totality, musical structure, depth and sound i still prefer Sauvage over this.

Exactly, sometimes they sound like a different band, that not bad, but still sounds out of place, if you know what I mean.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
31.07.2016 - 18:46
musclassia
Staff
I do think it's substantially lacking compared to FMTS or TWOAF, but it is fairly satisfying on its own terms
02.08.2016 - 00:47
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
I'm honestly surprised by the low rating this album has here. Is it their most "progressive" yet? Of course not - which is great, because it's all there, in these songs, but in a more focused approach, there's no change in style, no slowing down, maybe even the contrary. I'm really glad they decided to expand their sound while doing their shortest record yet, such a challenge. I hope, in time, it'll be more appreciated.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
12.08.2016 - 09:10
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
I might have even given this a 10 if the closing track was something incredibly killer. Oh well, I think every other song is very strong.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
12.08.2016 - 20:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Been listening to it loads of times now and to be honest it is almost up there with From Mars To Sirius in sheer quality. It totally pisses all over the albums that came after From Mars...
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.08.2016 - 03:06
Rating: 6
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.08.2016 at 20:44

Been listening to it loads of times now and to be honest it is almost up there with From Mars To Sirius in sheer quality. It totally pisses all over the albums that came after From Mars...

Surprised to see you say that. I'd say it's beat out by their first four albums, and better than only L'Enfant Sauvage. May have to give it more attention though and see if that opinion changes
06.09.2016 - 08:20
Gurablashta
Okay, I love Gojira and Every single album, even Terra Incognita which is a little lesser known. I even went to see them in Roncade in June in a venue that housed 100 people, in the most humid part of Italy. And it was so fucking cool for one single reason: The energy and passion they put into their music!! Granted they only played Silvera and Stranded from the new album, but still, they brought the roof down! So it kills me to say that Magma is just lacking in any balls whatsoever, except for the aforementioned tracks. Magma sounds like a much slower version of Mastodon's Oblivion (if such a thing is possible) Low Lands and Yellowstone show promise but never capitalise for different reasons. Liberation and Only Pain are just so forgettable... Only Silvera really stands out as a song from the Gojira I know and love. I understand new directions, I understand the pain that went into writing this album and the need to evolve... but compare these songs on this album to even Enfant Sauvage or Dawn and they just seem so bland...

On a sidenote, My Itunes played the entire album and followed straight after with Of Blood and Salt. Can't think of a better example as the difference is just astounding in terms of just raw energy, even if Gojira did team up with Devy there.
Really wanted this to be good, maybe I need to listen to it again and again and again, but I'm not really looking forward to it as it seems so forgettable.
06.09.2016 - 08:48
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Gurablashta on 06.09.2016 at 08:20

Magma sounds like a much slower version of Mastodon's Oblivion (if such a thing is possible) Low Lands and Yellowstone show promise but never capitalise for different reasons.

Exactly.

It didn't appeal to me as much as previous albums did. Down the line from "Mars To Sirius", "Way Of All Flesh", to "Sauvage", it all have its own different flavors and aura that sounds unique, interesting and very appealing( will put "Sauvage" on top). Certainly, they stepped onto new direction but still a far away from "Sauvage".

As a matter of fact, the extraction of those records is "Magma". The only thing that differentiates is softening of new tracks.

Quote:
compare these songs on this album to even Enfant Sauvage or Dawn and they just seem so bland...

Not bland but it's satisfactory.

Like I said I've already heard "Magma" before it released. Be in form of "Sauvage" or "From Mars To Sirius", it really didn't soak me in happiness from what I was actually expecting. Totally went into opposite from what I was anticipating.
06.09.2016 - 09:06
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by [user id=4365] on 19.06.2016 at 05:33

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.06.2016 at 00:31

My thoughts exactly. Tbh it is quite a bit better than the previous two.

I guess people just want more of the same. I like the new direction though.

To what Jaeryd said, "quit simplifying their sound".

That's the beef. Not a problem with new direction.
06.09.2016 - 09:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 06.09.2016 at 09:06

That is a new direction.

At any rate this "simple" approach is far more effective than the dull, "complex" approach of their previous album. Nothing wrong with a band simplifying their sound when they can't handle themselves.
06.09.2016 - 10:23
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by [user id=4365] on 06.09.2016 at 09:41

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 06.09.2016 at 09:06

Nothing wrong with a band simplifying their sound when they can't handle themselves.

You mean they weren't comfortable with "L'Enfant Sauvage"/"The Way All Flesh"?! I think they were very technical and the complexity has given those records a boost for Gojira. Oversimplifying is what has actually put them behind their previous works. Nothing pretty bad about "Magma", it's a very strong record but disappointed on catalyzing the sound.
06.09.2016 - 12:34
Gurablashta
Quote:
Quote:

Not bland but it's satisfactory.

Like I said I've already heard "Magma" before it released. Be in form of "Sauvage" or "From Mars To Sirius", it really didn't soak me in happiness from what I was actually expecting. Totally went into opposite from what I was anticipating.

Listened to it again, despite my reservations and I do have to admit that it gets a little better once you try them again. Maybe it'll pull the same trick Devin Townsend's Z2 did and I'll end up loving it... Maybe bland was a little hasty as a description.
Still prefer the other albums though, you just can't beat The Way of All Flesh in my opinion
06.09.2016 - 18:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 06.09.2016 at 10:23

You mean they weren't comfortable with "L'Enfant Sauvage"/"The Way All Flesh"?! I think they were very technical and the complexity has given those records a boost for Gojira. Oversimplifying is what has actually put them behind their previous works. Nothing pretty bad about "Magma", it's a very strong record but disappointed on catalyzing the sound.

L'Enfant Sauvage was probably one of the most boring albums I've ever heard. No sense of songwriting whatsoever, just aimless waffle. I thank Poseidon that they made a catchy and memorable number in Magma after that.

Hits total: 24982 | This month: 26