09. Fade To Black [Live at Rasputin Music]
10. Jump In The Fire [Live at Rasputin Music]
11. For Whom The Bell Tolls [Live at Rasputin Music]
12. Creeping Death [Live at Rasputin Music]
13. Metal Militia [Live at Rasputin Music]
14. Hardwired [Live in Minneapolis]

The Biggest Surprise Of 2016

Additional info
Produced by Greg Fidelman, James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich.

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Is Metallica back? Nah. Is Metallica less gone? Yeah, sure.

Read more ››
published 27.11.2016 | Comments (30)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
Metallica face a rare challenge that few bands experience; when you set the high standard for a whole genre, one that many bands and fans measure against, it is a sharp double-edged sword for the band, as all future releases will be expected to match such lofty heights. It is with this blade the band fall upon their sword with Hardwired?, an album that is quite strong but nowhere near the highs the band have hit previously.

Read more ››
published 16.04.2020 | Comments (0)

Found in 41 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 5

Comments: 143   Visited by: 2035 users
06.10.2016 - 17:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Unhealer on 06.10.2016 at 17:17

Written by Risto on 06.10.2016 at 15:00

I'd go even as far as saying he just stopped using a click track of any kind in concerts.

I don't think he ever did, it's not really common for bands to use a click track if they don't need backing tracks playing along, as bands like Nightwish, Epica do. Or a band like Meshuggah that needs to be clock precise live.

Lars didn't play with a click track back in the day. I can't even think of one thrash band where the drummer had a click track. Like you say most bands don't use one.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.10.2016 - 18:18
Rating: 6
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Unhealer on 06.10.2016 at 17:17

I'd go even as far as saying he just stopped using a click track of any kind in concerts.

I don't think he ever did, it's not really common for bands to use a click track if they don't need backing tracks playing along, as bands like Nightwish, Epica do. Or a band like Meshuggah that needs to be clock precise live.

The Moscow performance of Creeping Death in the early 90's is suspiciously tight compared to other live recordings from that era though, with overall slower tempo. I'm pretty convinced he had a click track there.
08.10.2016 - 13:21
Zap

It's not just drumming, some riffs are the absolute worst they've ever released. The fast section has a severe lack of taste overall.

Haha yeah, when a riff makes you laugh it's usually not a good sign.
13.11.2016 - 03:37
nikarg
Staff
The album leaked and I had the chance to listen to it a few times. There are a few good ideas and you have to bear in mind that the three singles that have already been released are among the best. So, if you didn't like them, you will probably hate the album. It reminds me a lot of the Black Album, in the sense that there are some very enjoyable songs and some really not worthy of being recorded (and the production is similar I think). The album as a whole is imo slightly worse than Death Magnetic (which I quite liked), but better than the pile of shit they have released after AJFA up until DM. Drumming at times is close to being unbearable, but I guess no one expected better. The main problem I think with Metallica is that they are really not relevant anymore (and haven't been for a long time). I really wanted to dig the album and at times I felt I did, but in the end I had the feeling that it overstayed its welcome. Many songs, even the good ones are lengthy for no apparent reason. On the bright side, the ending track is killer, so you are left with a better impression after all.
13.11.2016 - 04:43
Rating: 8
alex t
The album is like crossover between Death Magnetic, Black Album and Load. Three good songs on the album you already heard before on YouTube. The rest is average except Spit Out The Bone, which is a killer track and maybe the best on the entire album, so listen to it first. After all, solid release but not the best for those who expected more.
13.11.2016 - 07:17
Rating: 7
Nicko's Nose
I think it's a pretty good album. Definitely disagree that the 3 singles are the best songs on it.
13.11.2016 - 10:39
Rating: 8
I've heard the first half so far. It's pretty good. and no, the first 3 singles aren't the best songs. I really enjoyed Halo On Fire. Didn't really like Hardwired. The overall tempo is slower than I expected, but it's heavy enough.

Also, I'm surprised no one's mentioned James' performance yet. I think it's the strongest we've heard him in a while.
13.11.2016 - 11:39
nikarg
Staff
Written by The Melting Snow on 13.11.2016 at 10:39

I've heard the first half so far. It's pretty good. and no, the first 3 singles aren't the best songs. I really enjoyed Halo On Fire. Didn't really like Hardwired. The overall tempo is slower than I expected, but it's heavy enough.

Also, I'm surprised no one's mentioned James' performance yet. I think it's the strongest we've heard him in a while.

James is actually trying harder than everyone else it seems and Halo on Fire is hands down the best track on the album. The first half is far superior than the second so you're going to be a little disappointed (except Spit Out The Bone, the rest is slow tempo, uninspired and generic metal).
13.11.2016 - 14:17
CoFVe
Terrible bad album, only 2 or 3 songs are "good", but thats it, the rest are completly forgettable and self destruct themselves
13.11.2016 - 17:55
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by The Melting Snow on 13.11.2016 at 10:39

It's the high point of the album. His singing is top notch.
13.11.2016 - 22:58
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
It's a cool album, not that kind of album that would make you go "oh shit they're back!!", but it's very enjoyable. I didn't like at all some songs like Now That We're Dead, Here Comes Revenge and Am I Savage (felt the Black Sabbath vibe?), as they feel overwhelmingly uninspired.
Confusion and Atlas Rise are my favs so far. They both have a And Justice for All vibe that i like. Murder One as its moments, the beginning is very promising but goes nowhere with its mid-paced rhythm.
A lot of songs have a Reload vibe but with more complex structures, variation and heavier guitars. Check the songs Here Comes Revenge, ManUNkind and Halo on Fire. This last one is the only "ballad" in here, not really a ballad, but comes close.
As people stated already, James performance stands out. Absolutely flawless. Guitar wise, the album rocks too. it's more relaxed than Death Magnetic which a live vibe that i enjoyed, you can almost feel that the guys had fun recording it. Plus, fast songs like Hardwired and Spit Out the Bones are the most speed thrash Metallica you'll ever get, so just enjoy it.
15.11.2016 - 14:31
Rating: 5
James brought his A game, other than that this album is generic as fuck.
16.11.2016 - 01:07
The hype for Spit Out the Bone is very justified
16.11.2016 - 01:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by PatrickBateman on 16.11.2016 at 01:07

No it is not. It is just fast. As a song it sucks.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.11.2016 - 03:35
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.11.2016 at 01:45

Lol, I have not read a single bad comment about this song with everyone hyping it before I read yours, it just had to be you Marcel
16.11.2016 - 03:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Unhealer on 16.11.2016 at 03:35

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.11.2016 at 01:45

Lol, I have not read a single bad comment about this song with everyone hyping it before I read yours, it just had to be you Marcel

It really is just deaf fanboys hyping it and people who are amazed by its speed when it isn't even that fast. It's about the same speed as hard-wired.
It is a mediocre song, simple as that.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.11.2016 - 13:49
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Is it just me or do some parts of Spit Out The Bone sound a bit similar to the song "Abduction" by Bruce Dickinson? I don't know why but I listened to Spit Out The Bone and a couple of minutes after I finished listening to it, the riff from "Abduction" was in my head. Could be coincidence though.

Overall I like Spit Out The Bone. Is it brilliant? Not in my opinion but I do think it's a good solid song.
16.11.2016 - 16:39
FYA
Destroyer
The engineer of this kick drum should be in one of hell circles.
16.11.2016 - 21:18
Risto
Wandering Midget
Songs off the album have now started dropping as music videos, one every few hours until they are all out.
17.11.2016 - 15:48
BlackMetalDay
OK so from the 7 songs I have already heard it is definitely not a thrash metal album but traditional heavy metal. Problem is, I find Metallica much better when they play thrash metal than heavy metal. I bought Death Magnetic and quite enjoy it, but I won't buy this one. The good point is that I won't have that ugly cover art at home!
17.11.2016 - 16:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BlackMetalDay on 17.11.2016 at 15:48

I bought Death Magnetic and quite enjoy it, but I won't buy this one.

Strange... since musically the two are more or less the same. Mostly heavy metal with a tiny bit of thrash thrown in, but at least Hardwired has a lot better production.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.11.2016 - 16:07
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by PatrickBateman on 16.11.2016 at 01:07

You mean the Youtube comments along the lines of "this is the Metallica I remember/they've go their mojo back" etc? I don't see how anything - apart from that rather enjoyable slower riff towards the end - is worthy of such statements. As a song I'd say it's a strong 7, but nothing compared to the Kill 'em All and RTL glory days.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
17.11.2016 - 17:01
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Metren on 17.11.2016 at 16:07

I don't see how anything - apart from that rather enjoyable slower riff towards the end - is worthy of such statements. As a song I'd say it's a strong 7, but nothing compared to the Kill 'em All and RTL glory days.

The melodic main riff could easily be on Kill 'em All and the mid-section is great, but other things bring it down. It's too long like most songs on the album.
17.11.2016 - 18:06
BlackMetalDay
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.11.2016 at 16:02

Written by BlackMetalDay on 17.11.2016 at 15:48

I bought Death Magnetic and quite enjoy it, but I won't buy this one.

Strange... since musically the two are more or less the same. Mostly heavy metal with a tiny bit of thrash thrown in, but at least Hardwired has a lot better production.

I couldn't agree more with you concerning the production At least the new album has a normal production. It is indeed a good step forward after St Anger and Death Magnetic!!
But I find a lot more thrash elements in DM than in Harwired: more aggresive riffs, pure thrash songs like All Nightmare Long. The first aforementioned is also more fast-paced.
17.11.2016 - 22:59
Kuroboshi
I understand that they want to make long songs, since they make music so seldom nowadays (well since the 90s anyway), but it's too bad since the quality suffers. Most songs could have been halved or at least 25 % shorter, mostly dragging on with the same riffs. They should make 50 min albums every 3-4 years, instead of 80 min albums every 8.

And they should get a new drummer, 'cause Lars obviously can't do fast parts any more. It would be nice with more fast-paced songs.
18.11.2016 - 00:29
SlapTap
It's about half and half for me so far...some songs work, some just flat out don't. James brings his A-game, I hate the drums on some songs, Kirk sounds uninspired, and hey I can hear bass! With some trimming, this may have been a solid album instead of a weak double album. Double albums almost NEVER work, Iron Maiden and Metallica are no exception. I think Death Magnetic was a much more consistent record.

Spit out the Bone deserves some hype, it's definitely my favorite song on the record and delightfully thrashy.
18.11.2016 - 00:29
indexqwest
I gave up with Death Magnetic album
18.11.2016 - 01:05
SlapTap
Also wish the Lemmy tribute song was a bit more Motorhead in style don'tcha think?
18.11.2016 - 01:14
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
More heavy metal than thrash metal is what most people seem to say and I have to agree with that. Overall I like this album. It's not amazing but it's not a bad album imo. Some good songs and some weaker songs. All in all it feels a bit like a Death Magnetic part 2 imo. Now that album would get a 6,8 or something like that from me. This one (thanks to the better production quality) gets a 7,3/10 from me.

Only thing I'm wondering is why it had to be a double album. They could have easily put all the songs on 1 disc, so why did they do that? Overall the songs on disc 1 are better than the ones on disc 2 (Spit Out The Bone is really the only song I would call memorable on that second disc).
18.11.2016 - 01:24
Doge of Venice
Some decent moments here and there, but the songs lethargically keep going... and going, until you zone out. Then you remember you are listening, and you've went through 2 songs without realising. The riffs are just so static and unevolving, and lose whatever charm or oomph they had after a few repetitions.

Lars is incredibly boring, Kirk sounds like he is half arsing every solo - I counted only the solo in Halo to vaguely fit with the rest of the song. James actually sounds not too bad. Trujillo is... there, I guess.

I can't remember enjoying the original that much, but the new Lords of Summer is better than almost all of the songs on the album.

I think it's somewhat apt that the first song I felt like listening to afterwards was Fade to Black.

Hits total: 40983 | This month: 26