Metal Storm logo
Arcturus - Disbanded

In a shock development, Avantgarde metallers Arcturus have decided to disband after a highly successful tour of Australia.

Local tour promoters Just Say Rock Productions broke the news to patrons of the concerts via e-Mail, stating their reasons: "The band just thought that the time was right, the moment had come and that due to their tour of Australia being so successful they wanted to go out on top...[Arcturus believed] their [recent] Australian tour was one of their greatest highlights and they rated their Melbourne show as one of their all time memorable all round events."

Bravewords.com reported that, in response to a question asked by Australian fan Vanessa at the band's MySpace page, Arcturus drummer Jan Axel "Hellhammer" Blomberg (Dimmu Borgir, Mayhem) responded with the following:

"Yes we are splitting up, there is no more time for all of us, as everyone is extremely busy. But there have been some killer 16 years or so :-)

See you next time with Mayhem or Dimmu, and those bands are not likely to split up any time soon ;-) ."

Another fan post on the page reads: "Vortex (vocalist Simen "Vortex" Hestnæs) announced that the Melbourne show was their last, I spent alot of time talking to all members of the band and they all gave me the impression that they were somewhat relieved it was coming to an end. I feel totally blessed to have been able to spend a week with them and be at their last ever show. Sadly they all said that a reunion is very unlikely."

Source: bravewords.com
Band profile: Arcturus
Posted: 16.04.2007 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 33   Visited by: 138 users
16.04.2007 - 23:18
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
What? So sad news! Arcturus one of the best innovative black avantgarde reality in metal...
Another band split up on the top of their career, why? If they are too busy, take a break for a while, not disband... I think the reasons are others...
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
16.04.2007 - 23:22
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Simen's going to join Nightwish!!!!!1111
17.04.2007 - 00:14
UnholyMenace
Psycho
Too bad. I just recently started to like the band...
17.04.2007 - 00:20
Dam3k
OMFG WTF IS THIS?! NO MORE ARCTURUS... omfg omfg.... one original band and split up GL
----

17.04.2007 - 00:24
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I guess they chose a right moment to make the decision... Sideshow Symphonies has pretty good moments but overall is their weakest album.
17.04.2007 - 00:38
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Written by Katatronik on 16.04.2007 at 23:18

What? So sad news! Arcturus one of the best innovative black avantgarde reality in metal...
Another band split up on the top of their career, why? If they are too busy, take a break for a while, not disband... I think the reasons are others...

+1
Too bad this loss of Arcturus universe.
And why disband for job overload. A simple break or standby is possible....
17.04.2007 - 01:01
Daru Jericho
At least they can say they ended on a good note. I'm not going to go too crazy over this because SS was such a great release (although not their best). I never got the pleasure of seeing them live though, and I heard that they were going to start writing for a new album this summer.

Oh, and Arcturus are better than Dimmu and Mayhem.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

17.04.2007 - 01:49
Curtis the Bum
Account deleted
awwwwww i never got to see them.... well at least dimmu borgir and mayhem are still going......
17.04.2007 - 02:25
Hyvaarin
At least I got to see them. Hopefully each member goes on to new, excellent projects.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
17.04.2007 - 02:26
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
Elite
Well i couldn't say one could see this coming, but it's not a big surprise if we take into account the line-up changes lately...

Anyway it's a shame to know they're no more...
----
In this days we seem to be limited by scientific knowledge
"I'm a good man... while that don't interfere with my interest" Anonymous , taken from the low moderm and post-moderm consciences
17.04.2007 - 02:53
..HumanError..
Account deleted
NoOoOoOoOooOoOoOo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*hangs self*
17.04.2007 - 03:32
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Elite
What a shocker!

The Australian tour was successful that's why the disbanded!! damn you Aussies you should not have gone to the concert(s)
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
17.04.2007 - 03:56
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
It looks like Im the only one whos indifferent about this, I quite familiar with Arcturus and I dont view this as a big loss at all.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.04.2007 - 04:23
Mental_Orgasm
Account deleted
fuck me dead this suks ass
17.04.2007 - 04:44
Stomp
Account deleted
Shocking news this

I guess I was really lucky to see them live in Sydney.
At least they went out with a bang.
17.04.2007 - 05:44
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Good one them. They went out on top and on their own terms.
Wish I could have gotten the chance/money to have gone and seen them at their final gig in Melbourne, damn.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
17.04.2007 - 08:58
Keoren
Account deleted
Thank you for the music. Just like Sentenced, you brought it to an end while you were still at the top. Thank you.
17.04.2007 - 09:19
Judas
The Amputator
I'm glad I took the opportunity to see them in Brisbane, and while the breaking up of a good band is never really good news, at least we can honestly say that they didn't suck at any stage of their career. Thank you, Arcturus.

On the members, well, I heard a rumour that one of the reasons was the Hellhammer has joined Dummu Burger full-time. Vortex will no doubt keep himself busy, as will Sverd, Tore and Knut (they're all really good musicians, and will probably get gobbled up by other bands quickly enough!).
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
17.04.2007 - 11:18
GODlike ?
Too bad
17.04.2007 - 15:39
schapboy
it's so fucking damn bad
ARCTURUS OOH I WILL NEVER SEE THEM IN A CONCERT? FUCK ? FUCK FUCK
----
Don't Believe, Because They Lie
And Don't Love, Because Behind A Mask They Hide
17.04.2007 - 23:49
Danny Thomas
one of the msot original bands ive ever heard, and lately were becomign oen of ym favorite bands period. and now they are broken up, what wrottne luck : / hopefully reunion eventually
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
18.04.2007 - 09:08
alexo dynami
R.I.P. Arcturus, it is a great shame i hope you'll come back to life soon, my favourite band with innotive stuff, they had their reasons, they rocked whilst still being around. and not seen in concert apart from that amazing shipwrecked in oslo dvd... These guys inspired me with their music and will continue to.:banger2:
18.04.2007 - 11:47
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Arcturus have posted the following official statement:

"A lot of rumours have been going around after our gig in Melbourne. Simen opened the concert with the words 'Welcome to the last Arcturus-show ever.' This is a decision we made some time ago. We all have a lot of things going on in our carreers and our lives, and therefore can not find the time to continue working with this band. We are humble and grateful to all the people that have supported and loved us over the years."

(Source: http://www.arcturus.no)
----
Your favorite band sucks.
22.04.2007 - 17:03
rageing atheist
Account deleted
I just read about it yesterday, and was truly disappointed , for they are among my favorite bands, though I haven't gotten their latest release so I can't say whether it was right time for them to disband.
25.04.2007 - 10:19
pralat
Damn, one of my favourite bands... But nothing lasts forever and they've got 17 years behind them, so it's a really long time.
r.i.p.
----
:-[--+
28.04.2007 - 03:05
(s)A!N?
Account deleted
Why am i all ways the last one to find these thinsg out...????
well they may be gone .. but never forgotten... thats for sure

best of luck to them any ways ...
R.I.P Arcturus
09.05.2007 - 16:34
Meuterei
Account deleted
This fucking sucks, I never got to see them live
28.08.2007 - 14:14
Desertman
Account deleted
bad news for a good band..but true the band members are ((extremely busy))!!!!!
12.03.2009 - 22:39
Umideath
Too bad, HFSH.
----
My Top 90 Metal Albums Of 2023 - Part 2 >> https://youtu.be/6Yi7zV9Xo58 - Part 1
https://youtu.be/8F0E_CAfmMM
12.03.2009 - 22:50
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Umideath on 12.03.2009 at 22:39

Too bad, HFSH.

still surprised?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.

Hits total: 13756 | This month: 13