02. In The Shadows
03. Red Light In My Eyes, Pt 1
04. Red Light In My Eyes, Pt 2
05. Lake Bodom
06. The Nail
07. Touch Like Angel Of Death
08. Children Of Bodom [original single version] [2008 re-release bonus]
09. Mass Hypnosis [Sepultura cover] [2008 re-release bonus]

1997 was the year that a band redefined and I must dare to say, invented a whole new genre of Metal, Children Of Bodom was the band, and "Something Wild" took the Metal community by storm, the music was so undecipherable, so innovative so? strange.
Children Of Bodom took Melodic Death Metal, Power Metal, classical music and created a strange brew that critics everywhere tried to define, call it Extreme Metal, Power/Death Metal even Bodom Metal! Call it everything you want, but nobody can deny that these guys created something completely new here.

Besides the originality, the musicianship is amazing in this album! The killer riffing of Alexi "Wildchild" Laiho and the incredible keyboard of Janne Warman putted this band on the spot, every song, and I mean every song is a killer here, from starters "Deadnight Warrior" is a speed fest filled with great melodies, "In The Shadows" is another fuckin' great song, I can't believe the keyboards, they're amazing! The 2 part song "Red Light In My Eyes" is also incredible, the Pt. 1 contains a very melodic lead guitar and the Pt2 is among my favorites Children Of Bodom Songs of all times, is impossible not to sing along with the chorus, FIREEEE, I just love the neoclassical leads and keyboards in the songs, sadly in their posterior albums those influences were completely forgotten.

The album is short, clocking just a little more than 30 minutes, but rest assure that is worth every second of it, the closer song of the album "Touch Like An Angel Of Death" is my favorite on this one, the melodies, the aggression, everything is likable in this song.

Of course Children Of Bodom doesn't have the most intelligent lyrics around, and they're one of the most scoffed acts because of that, but once you get into this album, you won't mind the stupid lyrics.

Children Of Bodom's debut was (and is) one of the Cd's that must go into any metalhead collection, besides that is the most important release of 1997, is almost perfect in every way, those of you that have only heard some of latest releases of this guys, go back and listen this one, you'll be surprised to se how much they've changed musically wise.
Almost perfect for me, but perfect to hear it everyday.

Written by Undercraft | 26.02.2004

Comments

Comments: 34   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 250 users
29.04.2007 - 23:40
Rating: 4
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
OK album. Nothing special IMO, and its definitly my least favorite from Bodom....even compared to AYDY?. Though I must admit there are a few riffs on this album that blow any from AYDY out of the water, so I can definitly see where your coming from.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
30.04.2007 - 00:03
Rating: 7
Sunioj
Yeah, I wouldnt rate the album that high...sure its a good album, but the sound IMO didnt fully mature or find itself at least till hatebreeder. But definetly not on par with AYDY....Touch of Angel of Death is also my favorite though, fricking awesome song.
01.05.2007 - 16:17
Didu
Account deleted
2nd best album from COB......LAKE BODOM and TOUCH LIKE ANGEL OF DEATH are one of their best songs
01.05.2007 - 16:17
Didu
Account deleted
2nd best album from COB......LAKE BODOM and TOUCH LIKE ANGEL OF DEATH are one of their best songs
29.06.2007 - 22:35
Arcaliz666
Account deleted
Definitely "Something Wild"

Killer and Brutal Debut !!!!
30.06.2007 - 18:11
Abattoir
Staff
I think it's one one the best debut albums i've heard...really great one.
Lake Bodom kick ass
14.09.2007 - 12:42
Rating: 10
flamesoficarus
Nobody has mentioned The Nail, the intro (the actually guitar bit, not the movie audio bit) is brilliant.

One of the best debut albums ever, and one of Bodom's best albums.
12.10.2007 - 16:36
Desecrator
FINALLY someone that loves "Red Light In My Eyes Pt.2" as much as I do, such a good song.

Killer album, excellent review, their best by far, it's a shame that people don't rate it highly though, because it in my opinion it deserves far more recognition than their other releases.
20.10.2007 - 02:33
Rating: 8
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
One of the greatest debuts in metal and indeed created something new. COB kicks ass.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
04.05.2008 - 18:52
Peter
Account deleted
The outro to The Nail is one of the greatest things I've ever heard.
04.05.2008 - 18:54
Smurfophagist
This is the best COB album by far
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
04.05.2008 - 19:43
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
haha this is the biggest shit by far with only 2 songs worth listening
12.08.2008 - 13:59
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
this is a good review. good job man!
----
Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will.
16.08.2008 - 13:25
Rating: 7
Elio
Red Nightmare
good review and this album is fuckin great
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
02.09.2008 - 22:34
Rating: 10
StratoDan1990
One of my favourite albums of all time, I love every song. This album (and hatebreeder) deserves way more recognition then they get, especially this one IMO. I agree with the comments on Red Light In My Eyes Pt. 2 and The Nail, both amazing songs! COB KICK ASS!
10.11.2008 - 04:27
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I'll agree with many others here. 'Something Wild' deserves higher recognition and this is their best album to me. All the songs are great and very well written. It's really to bad that they left most of their neoclassical influences behind after this cd, it's what i loved the most in their sound.

Best tracks are 'The Nail' and 'Red Light In My Eyes Pt.2'.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
10.11.2008 - 09:40
FOOCK Nam
I know only the last song Touch Like Angel Of Death. I get it from the Tokyo Warheart album live. And I must say its such most killer song of COB. Other albums of COB are good, but this one is also
03.12.2008 - 14:09
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Absolutely magnificent album, i remember one time i thought i should give CoB a try and i put this whole album in my mp3 player. a week later i listened to it and thought "wtf? how did i know which are my favorite CoB songs already? i've been listening to them for only a week or so!" then i remembered it was only this album.

i had "The Nail" playing just a few minutes ago and it was kickass, it's by far the most varied and complex song they've ever done: movie intro, then old school thrash-punk riffs, a melodic black metal breakdown, and of course their trademark harsh vocals-power-atmospheric-symphonic-thrash-melodic metal sound.

though my favorite CoB songs are by far Downfall and Silent Night, Bodom Night. it's the songs where their unique genre blender style shines most imo.
20.04.2009 - 21:24
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Normal album.. their recent works are better.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
25.11.2009 - 17:40
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Lake bodom is the highlight of this album
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.11.2009 - 17:42
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Smurfophagist on 04.05.2008 at 18:54

This is the best COB album by far

not their best but still pretty good
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
07.04.2011 - 17:28
Coolingsrock
Written by Boxcar Willy on 25.11.2009 at 17:40

Lake bodom is the highlight of this album

Thats what im talking about!
04.10.2011 - 23:12
Grody2themax
Been a while since I listened to this band. This album is just straight up metal, as with their other early works. Its a shame this band is so hated in the metal genre, but I can kind of see why given some of their more recent work.
22.04.2012 - 16:30
Masterpiece.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
07.06.2012 - 20:01
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
I didn't found those lyrics so dumb at all.... Insane album and forever amongst my favorites 8/10.
07.06.2012 - 21:18
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Grody2themax on 04.10.2011 at 23:12

Its a shame this band is so hated in the metal genre

Think again...
20.06.2012 - 03:23
Grody2themax
Quote:
Quote:
Written by [user id=114505] on 07.06.2012 at 21:18

Think again...

[quote author=106319]

[quote author=106319]
Favorite bands: Alice Cooper, Rammstein, System of a Down.

I think I'll pass on you're opinion bro.

Also, I never said anything about their more recent work. You'd be an idiot to say this album is shit.
20.06.2012 - 03:25
Grody2themax

Think again...

"Age: 16"
"Favorite bands: Alice Cooper, Rammstein, System of a Down."

Also, I never said anything about their more recent work. You'd be an idiot to say this album is shit.
22.06.2012 - 21:32
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:
Written by Grody2themax on 20.06.2012 at 03:23

Think again...

[quote author=106319]

[quote author=106319]
Favorite bands: Alice Cooper, Rammstein, System of a Down.

That was funny! What are you trying to say???

1- What my age has to do with it all?
2- CoB is in my favorites...
3- ... does not matter! What my favorite bands has to do with it all?
4- I said this album is shit?? When?
5- You said something about their more recent works...
6- Pass my opinion? What opinion??
7- The question remains...

I don't know if you misunderstand me, or you just don't like to be quoted, but review what you said to me.

EDIT: Learn how to quote!
10.07.2012 - 08:08
Grody2themax
Written by [user id=114505] on 22.06.2012 at 21:32

That was funny! What are you trying to say???

1- What my age has to do with it all?
2- CoB is in my favorites...
3- ... does not matter! What my favorite bands has to do with it all?
4- I said this album is shit?? When?
5- You said something about their more recent works...
6- Pass my opinion? What opinion??
7- The question remains...

I don't know if you misunderstand me, or you just don't like to be quoted, but review what you said to me.

EDIT: Learn how to quote!

1. I think about 19 is the big turning point intellectually though I'm sure you're pretty competant by your response. Age does have something to do with intelligence but I didn't really mean to quote you're age as a legitamate argument against you. It was more of a joke.

2, 3, 4, 5, 6:
I said:

You said:

Think again...

So, what does "think again..." mean lol. When I first saw it I wrongfully assumed that you were one of those people that thinks they're too cool for this band and thinks they should be hated in the metal genre. But by looking at your second response I'm thinking now that you meant for me to think again and realize they are not as hated as I believe them to be. If this is true, I disagree. There are a ton of people who think this band is shit, but perhaps maybe more so in the metal generation about 4-5 yrs ago. This happened to be the time I was really getting into metal and ran into a ton of people trying to equate CoB to pop music.

7. not too sure what you meant but I think I answered you.

Conclusion:
I stated that I thought this band was wrongfully hated in the metal genre (should have said metal scene but whatever lol). You responded. I thought you were disagreeing with me. I responded by making a joke at you're age and being a pretentious assehole about your musical tastes, which I apologize for.

Hits total: 9592 | This month: 13