Metal Storm logo
Harry Potter

Original post

Posted by Judas, 24.07.2007 - 05:57
Right, while I know there's a thread about the 6th book, I wanted to create one to encompass the entire series. All of J.K. Rowling's books are amongst my favourite works of all time, and with the 7th book in the series, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" having just been released, I figured many MSers would be avidly reading. In this thread, anything relating to any of the books is welcome, and if you want to comment on the movies then that's alright as well. My nerdy knowledge of Harry Potter is second only to my nerdy knowledge of Tolkien, so don't be afraid to ask ridiculously specific questions either! Oh, and in case people haven't finished reading the 7th book yet, I'll make the small request that no spoilers are released for a week or so.

To start up some discussion, what are your feelings about the grand tale coming to an end? I'm really happy with the book, though it's not without some sadness that I won't be able to look forward to more books. I read the first book in 1998, and have always awaited the release of the next instalment with great anticipation, but it's yet to really hit me that there won't be any more. Also, I'm a real completionist, and it irked me somewhat to not have complete information about the future of some of the characters and places in the epilogue. That would have given a nice air of finality about proceedings, but the way it stands now seems to leave the door open a crack for future works, which I really hope are forthcoming...
21.10.2007 - 21:12
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I read Harry Potter when I was younger, I read until the 3rd book. Actually, I didnt even finish the 3rd book thats how bored I was. lol

Anyhow I like the films.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
22.10.2007 - 00:24
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I'm currently Reading "The Deathly Hallows", the last book. Really amazing. I'm about to finish it, and it only took me 2 weeks!
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
22.10.2007 - 20:51
Olli
I've read all of them, the last few books weren't as good as the first ones. Could of ended better than it did but yeah they're still good.
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
24.10.2007 - 18:05
legend_destroyer
Account deleted
I thoroughly enjoyed the series, I think the ending was kinda a cop-out, so was making Snape a good guy and dudley's sudden change of heart at the beginning of the novel. I think she was just tired of writing the series and wanted to get it done. But at the end it was basically "And they all lived happily ever after"
25.10.2007 - 02:15
TDFX
I was only able to read up to the third book. One of those series that got very boring very fast for me.
----
Last.fm
03.11.2007 - 04:22
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by [user id=21954] on 24.10.2007 at 18:05

I thoroughly enjoyed the series, I think the ending was kinda a cop-out, so was making Snape a good guy and dudley's sudden change of heart at the beginning of the novel. I think she was just tired of writing the series and wanted to get it done. But at the end it was basically "And they all lived happily ever after"

Yes the end had some pretty odd twuits, but they were OK IMO. Well, I would've been really anoying if she continued the history forever... Waht i wonder is what will she write now. And teh happy ending is fine IMO, it suited the whole atmosphere of the series (...) Scorpuis Malfoy, hehe.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

09.01.2008 - 23:40
Bitch Boy
I did not like the epilogue but well, a happy ending is sometimes necessary. Though, it would have been cool that Harry died and Neville killed Voldemort, so that he was the true "Chosen One" from Trelawney's prophecy. I was almost sure that Ron or Hermione would die, especially Hermione after Fred died.
10.01.2008 - 01:39
Ernis
狼獾
The happy Hollywood ending, the lovely epilogue, the feelings and emotions hitting the ceiling....hellyeah.... I think I still missed that little evil twist in the very end....the ending was too happy lol : )

Sure the plot changes before the end were well managed by the author...
10.01.2008 - 20:27
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Ernis on 10.01.2008 at 01:39

The happy Hollywood ending, the lovely epilogue, the feelings and emotions hitting the ceiling....hellyeah.... I think I still missed that little evil twist in the very end....the ending was too happy lol : )

Well my friend, considering that the book is fundamentally directed to young people (and by that I mean under 18) it was predicatble that it would have a happy ending.
----

12.01.2008 - 05:22
Bitch Boy
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 10.01.2008 at 20:27

Well my friend, considering that the book is fundamentally directed to young people (and by that I mean under 18) it was predicatble that it would have a happy ending.

Well, that's true. I don't complain that much though, the seventh book was really cool and dark.
12.01.2008 - 17:44
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Bitch Boy on 12.01.2008 at 05:22

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 10.01.2008 at 20:27

Well, that's true. I don't complain that much though, the seventh book was really cool and dark.

Yeah and it had a lot of twists and "adventure" pretty nice.
----

12.01.2008 - 21:16
Bitch Boy
The best is the Battle of Hogwarts. I never imagined such a thing would occur in Harry Potter
07.06.2009 - 08:47
tulkas
el parcero
Loved this part on this episode!

----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
08.06.2009 - 05:01
Vunts
Even if that part of the episode was funny, I still like Harry Potter as a book.
I got into it at rather odd yet predictable circumstances. The 3rd book was given to us as compulsory reading at school. Prior to that I had made fun of HP, everyone that read HP and everyone that knew what HP was. After that, I was stunned. I read through that book in a single afternoon because it was so bloody interesting. Afterwards I bought the other 3 books that were out during the time and quickly finished those (then the English versions as well), after that, the 5th, 6th and 7th book have all been the same: pre-order and read until I pass out, continue the next day. All those books were finished in a weekend with lack of eating and sleeping and real life. Am I ashamed? Fuck no! Even if the stories are generally seen as kiddy fairytales, when looked from the right angle, they can seem ALMOST like a detective story, thriller or horror flick. I'm not saying I was scared during the books, but then again the only thing that manged to scare me was 'It', when I was 12-14 years old.

But really, the books are great. Rowling knew how to write interesting stories, because I haven't gone through other books this fast, sleeping only because otherwise I would pass out.

The movies...well...have a few redeeming qualities, but if I had more artistic talent on paper, I could have drawn better movies, because in my head, everything was much grander than the junk that came out at the cinemas (not like I can prove it, heh). After the movies, stuff got better though, because it helped fill in a few visual blanks. But a lot of things...small things crippled the stuff. I hated Sirius's leaving scene, I didn't like Tonks in the movie. The werewolf in the 3rd movie was worse than wolfmen made in the 80s...and more...

All in all, my life would be slightly poorer if HP hadn't been written. I am not ashamed!
08.06.2009 - 17:59
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Vunts on 08.06.2009 at 05:01

All in all, my life would be slightly poorer if HP hadn't been written. I am not ashamed!

You're right....Rowling has managed to write in a very spellbinding way....although LOTR, wich I like a lot more and is much more meaningful, the books are rather difficult to read.....

But Harry Potter has been the only book I've managed to read for longer than 20 minutes....that is, until late late late at night.....
11.06.2009 - 00:56
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
So I just started Deathly Hollows this morning. I haven't read it yet, so I don't want any spoilers. But I just wanted to let all of you other fans know that I have been making my way through the series.
----
(space for rent)
11.06.2009 - 01:13
Ragana
Rawrcat
Although I think I've grew out of this stuff I still re-read Harry Potter books and re-watch movies. They are just very entertaining, such as Lord Of The Rings movies (I don't have enough patience to re-read LOTR books, though) or books written by Jules Verne.
I started to read Harry Potter when I was 11, so I grew up with the story (in the beginning Harry had 11 years as well). I didn't take the book - my mum did hoping that I will read more... well... I saw how thick was the book and got scared. After two weeks from that time I got really bored and I started to read it. I was kinda surprised that it was really interesting so I read it in few days which was amazing since I didn't read books that often or that fast. Each of further books I read in few hours - started at evening and ended at the morning when I had to wake up for school. That was awesome. Too bad it had to end.
At some point I still think J. K. Rowling could write more, it's just sad that by 7th book you have to realize there's nothing else to happen in that other world and you have to search for new stories.
11.06.2009 - 05:29
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Ernis on 08.06.2009 at 17:59

You're right....Rowling has managed to write in a very spellbinding way....although LOTR, wich I like a lot more and is much more meaningful, the books are rather difficult to read.....

really? i don't find them difficult to read. the only Tolkien book i thought difficult was The Silmarillion, but because of the huge huge amount of names that appeared, but that was it.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
11.06.2009 - 11:02
Ernis
狼獾
Written by tulkas on 11.06.2009 at 05:29

Written by Ernis on 08.06.2009 at 17:59

really? i don't find them difficult to read. the only Tolkien book i thought difficult was The Silmarillion, but because of the huge huge amount of names that appeared, but that was it.

Silmarillion was the hardest of them all....I remember checking the names and places list and explanations extras at the back of the book after every sentence I read from the story itself......

But the books are worth it.....
21.12.2010 - 20:23
JD
Account deleted
I can't stand Harry Potter, it's just sucks so bad!
12.09.2011 - 20:28
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Haven't read any of the books (no time) but over the past week i decided to watch the rest of the HP movies (still had the last 4 to go) and i gotta say my opinion on these movies has really changed. the first 2 (and the third one a bit too) were a bit too "made for the kids" if you know what i mean, but I was really impressed with the latter four. Half-Blood Prince was imo the best and by far the most dark and gripping (the last 3 overall were the best imo).
The big spoiler was quite obvious but still extremely well executed (Snape is by far my favorite character in the whole series), and really just thoroughly entertaining and awesome. The ending was just a tiny bit on the flowery side.. after the "not my daughter, you BITCH!" moment i was almost expecting Neville to behead Voldemort in ultra-slow-motion as the finale, it was the snake in the end but whatever.

All throughout the movies, i couldn't get over how embarassingly nerdy and naive Potter and Weasley were portrayed right up until the 7th film, but then again i guess they were trying to prove a point.
01.10.2011 - 12:46
Luneth
Account deleted
I have real dislike for Harry Potter.

The saga is a cheap version of the Lord of the Rings, I'll get that right out there. The movies past the third are all horrific. So god damn bad. JK Rowling is a good writer, no doubt, but her fame and fortune is not deserved, as far as Epic Fantasy goes, Harry Potter is at the bottom of the barrel, it doesn't hold a candle to the TR00 EPIC F4NT4SY out there. The world was ready for something new, and along came Rowling, who, much like Justin Beiber, was pushed into fame.

Harry Potter took fantasy away from the tr00 ideals of fantasy and created an English Soap Opera.