06. The Shadow Of The Abattoir
07. No Way Back Just Through
08. Fall Into Your Hands
09. From Dawn To Decadence
10. The Phalanx

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
Hands up: who here expected Trivium to ever release an album this good again back when Silence In The Snow came out?

Read more ››
published 12.10.2021 | Comments (10)

Found in 47 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 32   Visited by: 784 users
06.09.2021 - 21:04
Rating: 9
thewall30
Ever since they brought Alex Bent in seems like it has injected new life into the band, been digging their last 2 releases. 👍🏻
----
02.10.2021 - 11:06
nonZero
New song released yesterday, sounds fucking awesome:

----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
07.10.2021 - 20:06
Rating: 8
skeksis25
Better than the last album
----
https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7023
08.10.2021 - 10:07
Rating: 10
EternumBleed
This shit is perfect
08.10.2021 - 10:22
nonZero
Sounds like a combination of the best parts of Shogun, TSATS, and WTDMS. Great stuff, definitely their strongest since the former IMO.

9.1/10 for me - Tracks 7-9 are weaker than the rest. The title track, 'The Phalanx', and 'Like A Sword Over Damocles' are the standout songs. 'Feast Of Fire' and 'A Crisis Of Revelation' are also great.

Easily AOTY for me.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
08.10.2021 - 10:48
Ruisdier
Yes, TSATS and WTDMS were great step ups from VF and SITS, but this album just brings Trivium up to a level close to or even higher (?) than Shogun. It's too early to tell which album I like better, but I have a positive feeling that this album will remain in my top 2 Trivium albums at least. In The Court of The Dragon, In The Shadow Of The Abbatoir, Like A Sword Over Damocles and The Phalanx are among their best songs already.
----
https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7014
AOTY 2022
08.10.2021 - 12:36
musclassia
Staff
Agree with the above that on first listens, this album represents Trivium going from strength to strength and building on the merits of the last 2 records

The Phalanx stands out as the highlight on first listen
08.10.2021 - 16:53
Archie 666
OK Trivium, you've just gained a new fan.
08.10.2021 - 21:58
I'm amazed at their evolution, which is doubly surprising for me since, prior to What The Dead Men Say, I hadn't listened to Trivium since The Crusade. At least from the little I've listened to of their catalog, this has to be their strongest. Special shout to the bass lines, which are far more interesting than I remember Trivium being known for.
09.10.2021 - 09:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
This band works atm to me as song, single band, I did not enjoy album, few songs, maybe I need re listen it after few weeks.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.10.2021 - 11:06
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Surprisingly good. Their best album since Shogun or In Waves imo. Songs 7 and 8 suck a little, but every other song is great.
10.10.2021 - 12:41
Blindearth
Wow I didnt expect this album to be so good!
13.10.2021 - 10:09
s(AINT)
Honestly didn't expect a Trivium album to be one of my top albums of the year and by this i don't mean any disrespect to the band - i simply never listened to them much before the previous album, it was always one of those bands that i need to listen to at some point, but never get a chance.

This album is quite a monster in the round, the riffs are crushing and melodic, the vocals are beautiful and brutal, the drumming is punching, the production is fantastic and boy oh boy look at that artwork! Well done to the guys on being 10 albums in and releasing such strong music \m/
16.10.2021 - 01:44
Tino99
Well, I guess Trivium is back. It's been almost 15 years since I've connected with one of their albums to this extent. Past 2 have been pretty solid, but this is on another level entirely. Probably on my 8th listen already, and I'm still intrigued. Gotta give credit where credit is due, this is elite material from these guys.
16.10.2021 - 15:26
Rating: 7
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Looks like I’m going to have to listen to this soon. Didn’t expect to see so many positive comments.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
16.10.2021 - 15:34
JoHn Doe
Listened to two songs. Not my thing.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
19.10.2021 - 10:35
Rating: 5
BCI
The "metal" part of their music is OK, maybe even solid but the "core" parts are cringe-worthy and cliche'd to death.
Definitely not for me.
----
Black Crown Initiate have ruined a lot of bands for me...
20.10.2021 - 11:18
Jaro
Written by BCI on 19.10.2021 at 10:35

The "metal" part of their music is OK, maybe even solid but the "core" parts are cringe-worthy and cliche'd to death.
Definitely not for me.

Which "core" parts specificaly are you referencing on this record?
20.10.2021 - 16:00
I've got some power metal vibes with this record, and it's not due to the cover. A very solid effort, I just wish they had gotten back with the metalcore from the beginning and first half of their career. Thrash metal? Hmmm... I don't hear that here. Alternative? Definitely, it's an umbrella term under which fall metalcore and its variations, even if it's a very watered down version of it.
20.10.2021 - 20:25
BCI
Written by Jaro on 20.10.2021 at 11:18

Honestly it's mostly the straight vocals in bridges and choruses that do my head in, as well as the soft breakdowns. Check out The Phallanx around the 1:31 mark and around the 2:44 as an example. Even though the song isn't half bad, those parts throw me off. They often sound forced and whiny, and they are very stereotypical in the metalcore and alternative metal genres. That's why I call them cliché. They've been done to death IMO.
----
21.10.2021 - 11:42
Hooman
7 or 8 for me. Not as good as The Sin And The Sentence IMO. They might wait longer between releases I guess.
22.10.2021 - 02:53
Jaro
Written by BCI on 20.10.2021 at 20:25

Written by Jaro on 20.10.2021 at 11:18

Honestly it's mostly the straight vocals in bridges and choruses that do my head in, as well as the soft breakdowns. Check out The Phallanx around the 1:31 mark and around the 2:44 as an example. Even though the song isn't half bad, those parts throw me off. They often sound forced and whiny, and they are very stereotypical in the metalcore and alternative metal genres. That's why I call them cliché. They've been done to death IMO.

Those parts on The Phalanx aren't my favorite on the record admittedly however the melodic vocals as a whole on this album are quite a bit above average IMO, excellent even on the I guess the chorus of the title track for example. There's just too much great melodic writing but also headbang-inducing moments on the record to rate it a 5/10 for me but to each their own. The drum performance alone surely lifts this above an average recording.
22.10.2021 - 06:59
BCI
Written by Jaro on 22.10.2021 at 02:53

Those parts on The Phalanx aren't my favorite on the record admittedly however the melodic vocals as a whole on this album are quite a bit above average IMO, excellent even on the I guess the chorus of the title track for example. There's just too much great melodic writing but also headbang-inducing moments on the record to rate it a 5/10 for me but to each their own. The drum performance alone surely lifts this above an average recording.

To each his own mate. And to be clear I don't dislike all melodic parts. I dislike the metalcore styled melodic parts.
Having parts that I Iike and parts that I hate in the same album warrants an average grade. What's more average than 5/10?
----
23.10.2021 - 21:34
ATG
I enjoyed this one, not super caught off guard but it's good solid Trivium, amazing been listening to these guys since there first album and met them, seen them live a few times, they've grown a lot and matured their sound, well done Matt Heafy 🤘
24.10.2021 - 05:55
Link3114
Account deleted
Better than What the Dead Men Say! I really like this album a lot more than their previous album. However, I like The Sin and the Sentence more than this one.
27.10.2021 - 05:37
jawharessence
Some of these riffs are just sick!
23.12.2021 - 02:36
mikeprado30
This one IMHO is AOTY along with Winterage and Seven Spires' albums.
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
26.12.2021 - 16:27
Fred_P
Exceptional release. I never really listened to Trivium, but I played the last three albums A LOT in the last year. I personally think that WTDMS has highest highs, but this album is super consistent, and some of these tracks are just killer.
08.01.2022 - 16:21
metalbrat
Seriously i dont know how some people rate this very less. Trivium is giving us back to back some of the best memorable songs forever. 'The Phalanx' is the crown. Core at its best.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
08.01.2022 - 19:25
Rating: 7
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
There is a time in my life where I really would have enjoyed this album. To my ears it sounds hardly different from any of the popular 00s metalcore bands. It’s not bad but it’s definitely not that extraordinary.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 10194 | This month: 32