08. War
09. Halo
10. The Wolf
11. My Name Is Night [feat. Petronella Nettermalm]
12. The River Song [Japanese bonus]

The Best Folk / Pagan / Viking Metal Album Of 2022
Top 20 albums of 2022: 17

Additional info
Recorded by Nino Laurenne, Jens Bogren and Jonas Olsson at Fascination Studios, Isolla Music and Sonic Pump Studios between January-August 2021.
Grand piano and hammond organ recorded by Miiro Varjus at Sonic Pump Studios May 2021. Church organ and keyboards recorded by Santeri Kallio at Church of Paavali and Studio Kreatine June 2021. Percussion recorded by Jan Rechberger at NGB and Moon Unit Studios July/August 2021. Additional recording and drum tech by Miiro Varjus.

Produced and mixed by Jens Bogren. Editing and mixing assistance by Linus Corneliusson and Ricardo Borges.

Mastered by Tony Lindgren.

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
This is a typical Amorphis album. As in, it’s bloody lovely.

Read more ››
published 10.02.2022 | Comments (24)

Guest review by
mdx54
Rating:
A mediocre effort from a good band. Poorly composed, with little thought into what ideas to include and how long to dwell on them. A collection of B-sides that haven't made it on past records?

Read more ››
published 26.04.2022 | Comments (17)

Found in 71 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 73   Visited by: 1292 users
04.11.2021 - 16:41
Rating: 8
musclassia
Staff
Most anticipated release of 2022 has been confirmed then, very stoked for this one
04.11.2021 - 17:44
Rating: 7
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
I always get exited when Amorphis announce a new album release date, they are one band that never fail to impress me.
04.11.2021 - 18:25
Rating: 9
Tuonelan
Coming out on Atomic Fire. Guessing that is a sub-label of Nuclear Blast that is yet to be announced publicly, and not a bit of accidental Google Translate poetry.

Label restructure would partly explain the long delay between this album getting recorded and its release. Recording wrapped up in spring. I'm sure the COVID crap is also pushing things back, but changes at the label will also add delays to the contracts and marketing stuff.
----
Hopepunk living on a grimdark timeline
04.11.2021 - 18:53
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Written by Tuonelan on 04.11.2021 at 18:25

Coming out on Atomic Fire. Guessing that is a sub-label of Nuclear Blast that is yet to be announced publicly, and not a bit of accidental Google Translate poetry.

I was wondering the same thing. Atomic Fire was founded in Donzdorf, where NB is headquartered, and the two shareholders are longtime employees of Nuclear Blast, so it will probably turn out to be a sublabel.
----
signatures = SPAM
04.11.2021 - 19:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by musclassia on 04.11.2021 at 16:41

Most anticipated release of 2022 has been confirmed then, very stoked for this one

I would say saxon can be equally good as this.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.11.2021 - 19:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Starvynth on 04.11.2021 at 18:53

Written by Tuonelan on 04.11.2021 at 18:25

I was wondering the same thing. Atomic Fire was founded in Donzdorf, where NB is headquartered, and the two shareholders are longtime employees of Nuclear Blast, so it will probably turn out to be a sublabel.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/nuclear-blast-founder-launches-new-label-atomic-fire/
----

apos;'
[image]
15.11.2021 - 20:10
FYA
Destroyer
So most likely it's a brand new label, not a sublabel of NB?
15.11.2021 - 23:04
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Written by FYA on 15.11.2021 at 20:10

Yes. But the whole thing is a little more complex.

What we know as "Nuclear Blast" has actually consisted of two companies for the last three years. That's because Nuclear Blast GmbH was acquired by French company Believe Digital in 2018, with the intention of transforming Nuclear Blast into a primarily digital music provider in the long run. Markus Staiger, the original founder of Nuclear Blast, then formed the label "Nuclear Blast Tonträger Produktions- und Vertriebs GmbH" (NBTT) because he didn't believe in digital releases and streaming only, but in physical copies. However, this entity was still bound by its name to agreements with the parent group Believe Digital.

What now exists as Atomic Fire is on the one hand a continuation of Staiger's NBTT, but at the same time a new and independent company that is now in fierce competition with Believe Digital due to its new distribution partners (Warner Music, Ward Records).

By the way, this story hit the German media like a bomb. Especially the company name Atomic Fire, obviously chosen by Staiger as a little side blow in the direction of Nuclear Blast, has already caused a lot of confusion here, but also quite some amusement.
----
signatures = SPAM
19.11.2021 - 20:08
FYA
Destroyer
Written by Starvynth on 15.11.2021 at 23:04

Written by FYA on 15.11.2021 at 20:10

Yes. But the whole thing is a little more complex.

What we know as "Nuclear Blast" has actually consisted of two companies for the last three years. That's because Nuclear Blast GmbH was acquired by French company Believe Digital in 2018, with the intention of transforming Nuclear Blast into a primarily digital music provider in the long run. Markus Staiger, the original founder of Nuclear Blast, then formed the label "Nuclear Blast Tonträger Produktions- und Vertriebs GmbH" (NBTT) because he didn't believe in digital releases and streaming only, but in physical copies. However, this entity was still bound by its name to agreements with the parent group Believe Digital.

What now exists as Atomic Fire is on the one hand a continuation of Staiger's NBTT, but at the same time a new and independent company that is now in fierce competition with Believe Digital due to its new distribution partners (Warner Music, Ward Records).

By the way, this story hit the German media like a bomb. Especially the company name Atomic Fire, obviously chosen by Staiger as a little side blow in the direction of Nuclear Blast, has already caused a lot of confusion here, but also quite some amusement.

SO I AM CONFUSION. Basically, they're under Nuclear Blast but not Nuclear Blast Anyway - I wonder if this will affect they sound. Esa focused on a Silver Lake, which is more progressive and a tag "melodic death metal" was widely used by Amorphis' teammembers recently.
21.11.2021 - 01:58
b0sse
Hoping this will be just as excellent as Queen of Time
06.01.2022 - 21:06
Tuonelan
Preordered. Like that was ever in doubt.
----
11.02.2022 - 09:18
Rinbel
Yeah, they did it again.
11.02.2022 - 09:24
Rating: 6
At first listen, this leaves me quite unimpressed. Generic Amorphis, well written but totally lacking memorable melodies.
----
"We are blind to the world within us, waiting to be born"
11.02.2022 - 09:39
Written by beyondtehdarksun on 11.02.2022 at 09:24

At first listen, this leaves me quite unimpressed. Generic Amorphis, well written but totally lacking memorable melodies.

Most albums get better after multiple listens. And at the end those turn out to be the best albums.
11.02.2022 - 09:54
MetalHead9494
Really good Album. It doesn't have a huge Sound as the last two, but it is still a really good album in it's own way. It requires multiple listen to grow on you.
11.02.2022 - 10:11
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
When you have 3 strong songs like A New Land, When The Gods Came and Seven Roads Come Together but you say "fuck it" and put The Moon as your first single. At least On the Dark Waters was better.
11.02.2022 - 10:14
Gungniru
First spin: Very good. It's Amorphis as we know it. Nothing more, nothing less really.
11.02.2022 - 11:36
nonZero
In an ever-changing world its comforting to know some things never change.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
11.02.2022 - 12:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I have hear this since Tomi came, I have hear it and I can not judge. I like Amorphis lyrics, inspired by nature where we live. Music is OK, like I said hard to judge, even you think it will be bad, in end you find something there.
----

apos;'
[image]
11.02.2022 - 13:22
Written by perstcommando999 on 11.02.2022 at 09:39

Written by beyondtehdarksun on 11.02.2022 at 09:24

Most albums get better after multiple listens. And at the end those turn out to be the best albums.

Indeed, Eclipse worked like this for me and I get some Eclipse vibes from this one, too. I will give it some time, but I'm still concerned about the lack of memorable songs or parts.
----
"We are blind to the world within us, waiting to be born"
11.02.2022 - 13:54
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
This is yet another solid release from Amorphis, again they fail to dissapoint, they are probably the most consistent band in recent times, sticking to what they know, with pretty much the same formula than their last two successful releases.

Although this is a very good album, I still don't think it matches the overall quality of Under A Red Cloud, and I would say it's probably on par with Queen Of Time, which again is not a bad thing.
11.02.2022 - 17:53
Ryanm123
Gorgeous and moving, I Iove everything about this album. The mastering, writing, musicianship, emotion of the album. All wonderful. I love the obvious prog influence!
11.02.2022 - 18:16
Tuonelan
I still need more listens for this to settle in, but so far I find myself comparing it most closely to Silent Waters in terms of overall mood and scope, same way that Under the Red Cloud always felt like a companion to Skyforger. Halo, like Silent Waters, seems to wander a bit more, with pretty little interludes in the songs that break up the verse/chorus structures more. Makes the songs feel a bit less linear to me.

I really like it.

And like Bad English, I've been hearing people reacting to every Amorphis album since Eclipse with this sort of guarded and slightly disappointed reception. They are always "losing their spark," but by the time the next album rolls around most listeners have either come around to a higher opinion of the last release and don't see decline, but consistency. Amorphis and Enslaved are the two bands I have been able to count on to never disappoint for the last decade. Always quality. Never sitting still, but never getting bored and giving up on what they do best either.
----
11.02.2022 - 19:48
Fred_P
Not gonna rate it yet as it would seems unfair, but on a first listen, it left me completely cold. "When the Gods Came" and "Seven Roads Come Together" stands out, but overall not a single song grabbed me. I was never a big Amorphis fan but I did like the last 2 albums, and especially Skyforger. Might just not be in the mood for it, or maybe the band isn't for me.
11.02.2022 - 20:06
Rating: 10
MegaTornado
It's a grower, that's for sure. I still try to understand and find all the hidden moments. What i can say is that I am at the 4th listen and it seams much better then the first time
11.02.2022 - 21:30
Rulatore
Really great showing here, I thought Wilderun were too far from the rest, but this did give them a run for their money

I can only be grateful for being able to hear such beautiful music even after all theses years
11.02.2022 - 22:20
antvre
As usual a great album.
12.02.2022 - 12:27
I'm not rating it yet based on three listens but this shapes up to be the first big disappointment of 2022, in my opinion. There's not a single song that stands out and I constantly had the feeling that I am listening to the second half of Queen of Time again. What I find lacking are two things escpecially. First, the folk elements that gave the band its northern vibes. And second, the dynamics in the songwriting. Songs like Towards and Against or Bad Blood, Nightbird's Song etc. had variation to them, memorable guitar leads contrasted with more crushing riffs, synths, folk parts and so forth. On Halo, I struggle to find all of that. It's just the same pattern for each song with barely any variation. As a result, everything blends into each other. I will give it a few more spins but as it stands, this is the worst album with Joutsen for me.
12.02.2022 - 15:57
Rating: 10
SebaRaven36
This album is really tremendously solid, every song I found fantastic, these are the albums that never get boring and you always listen to them in their entirety.
highly recommended
12.02.2022 - 20:46
AndreMarcos
Another year, another amorphis album that goes right over my head. I really wish that i could experience this "masterpiece", as many of you do, but unfortunately for me i guess i just dont get amorphis music.
Well maybe next album, i'll finally get it ... or maybe it's just not for me.

Hits total: 19562 | This month: 44