Metal Storm logo
Fingernails

Original post

Posted by Lord TJ, 09.10.2007 - 21:49
I know theres some people out there that play their guitars with their fingernails as picks. For me I can't stand long fingernails! I cut them every couple of days, just the feeling of strings rubbing on my fingernails gives me chills down my spine!
09.11.2007 - 00:10
Anon
Account deleted
I play both classical and electric guitar and I don't keep my nails long at all. I like the warmer tone you get from finger picking without nails.
09.11.2007 - 11:04
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Hm. I have pretty long fingernail's, but I don't use them as a pick substitute. I have managed to play guitar just fine though, as in not making a lot of mistakes on the fretboard.
09.11.2007 - 20:10
Lord TJ
Written by Bitter Dawn on 09.11.2007 at 11:04

as in not making a lot of mistakes on the fretboard.

Isnt it annoying with your nails scratching the fretboard when your playing something?
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
10.11.2007 - 00:28
slowdeathchick
Written by [user id=26791] on 09.11.2007 at 00:10

I play both classical and electric guitar and I don't keep my nails long at all. I like the warmer tone you get from finger picking without nails.

Same here, I've found I;ve started liking it a lot more now that im playing a lot more. When I first started learning it was like i had to use a pick, I dont know why, that's just what i thought about it but i dont much anymore.
----
The past defines the future, but sometimes you must leave something behind to be able to grow.

Gaahl
12.11.2007 - 21:15
Smurfophagist
I also play both classical and electric guitar, and i can't imagine playing the classical guitar without my fingernails. And I really go nuts when my nails crack.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
13.11.2007 - 05:36
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Lord TJ on 09.11.2007 at 20:10

Isnt it annoying with your nails scratching the fretboard when your playing something?

I can't say that really ever happend's, my mistake's are either from misplacing my fingering or sloppy picking; after a while all tremelo playing makes my hand lazy.
13.11.2007 - 14:14
Lord TJ
Written by Bitter Dawn on 13.11.2007 at 05:36

I can't say that really ever happend's, my mistake's are either from misplacing my fingering or sloppy picking; after a while all tremelo playing makes my hand lazy.

So you play with the fatty part of your fingers not the tips?
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

15.11.2007 - 07:42
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Lord TJ on 13.11.2007 at 14:14

Written by Bitter Dawn on 13.11.2007 at 05:36

So you play with the fatty part of your fingers not the tips?

I suppose so? I play at the tip of the curve of the end of the finger, but I also just play black metal so no fancy finger work is necassary. I just use power chord's for the most part, I leave the intricate playing to my bandmate since he is a better guitarist than I anyways.
11.12.2007 - 01:29
Haightredy
I accually never used a pick, I used to play with my fingers, but with nails I can get a lot more speed, and I can also get a lot mroe controll than using a pick.
14.12.2007 - 05:47
Lord TJ
Written by Haightredy on 11.12.2007 at 01:29

I accually never used a pick, I used to play with my fingers, but with nails I can get a lot more speed, and I can also get a lot mroe controll than using a pick.

So it doesn't give you that spine tingling feeling like scratching a chalk board, or chewing a mouthful of ice?
----

21.12.2007 - 01:14
Haightredy
Written by Lord TJ on 14.12.2007 at 05:47

Written by Haightredy on 11.12.2007 at 01:29

So it doesn't give you that spine tingling feeling like scratching a chalk board, or chewing a mouthful of ice?

Not at all... unless it breaks and i have to start over again...
21.12.2007 - 04:24
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I keep my nails short....it would be a major hinderance if I were to attempt to play guitar with long nails.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
02.08.2008 - 12:11
Thunderdrake
I have played with longer fingernails, but that's usually because I generally don't care enough to clip them unless they get in the way of something. (plus they're useful for things like untying knots in things) I have played using nails as a pick and it's alright, but I definitely prefer to use a pick and I don't much care for finger-picking unless I'm playing acoustic. My left hand is a different story. I can't stand to have long nails on my left hand cause they do get in the way when I'm playing. I'll occasionally even end up with clipped nails on my left hand and unkempt nails on my right. lol.
----
For Metal!!!
27.08.2008 - 05:30
MortalTheory
Account deleted
i don't use fingernails, so i really have no use for them in guitar, haha.
01.09.2008 - 13:42
Haightredy
I can tremolo pick with my thumb nail faster than most guitarists can with a pick.
01.09.2008 - 23:46
NECURATU
Bass guitar has a lot of punch when plucked with fingernails but i can't help feeling a bit fag about it so i just cut them and forget about it.
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
06.11.2008 - 23:38
HELL-ME
Account deleted
Well played "NECURATU".. But you can play with your thumb if you look for feeling
17.12.2008 - 05:40
combaticus12
Account deleted
I've recently grown out my nails to help my finger picking. A friend of mine who started playing a little over a year ago is pretty good at this point and he ONLY finger picks, so I figured I would give it a shot. I have to keep them short on my left hand though. I can't stand to have them in the way during sweeps and chords where my hand can't just lay flat rather then point.
17.12.2008 - 07:53
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Man i think those loong fingernails on classical guitarist's hands are disgusting. USE A THUMBPICK GODDAMIT lol
20.01.2009 - 11:59
..ExoTeaR..
I use my nails wenever there gunna serve purpose in my music spooky interludes are fucken ace but i dont wear gloves at work as much as i probably should so there only about 2mm to 3mm over my fingertips on my left hand (im a right handed guitarist) there allways cut or chewed off to level of my fingertip as soon as the slightest bit of friction between my fretboard and my nails occurs.
----
[-0-] Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!
28.02.2009 - 00:15
jd-inflames
Account deleted
I don't use my nails, I use my fingertips. That's if I'm not using a pick anyway.
11.03.2009 - 04:06
ASiema113
I either need to grow out my nails or invest in some fingerpicks, because playing flamenco with your tips just doesn't cut it.
----

Written by [user id=22888] on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
12.03.2009 - 12:50
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Mmm my compulsive nail biting pretty much takes care of any issues relating to long nails. but my former bass teacher used to have his fingernails fairly long and it gave his bass a clickier sound, which didnt fit some of the styles of music we played, or at least it didnt sound like what i would have done.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
16.03.2009 - 20:03
Naraka
Usually stick with a pick, unless I'm on an acoustic, then I pluck without fingernails anyways. Although I've been thinking of growing out my picking hand's nails to practise chicken-picking.
----
Check out my tracks! http://www.myspace.com/13naraka13
10.06.2009 - 22:22
ANGEL REAPER
Why not fingernails?!!!
Its easier to play hard melodies(on couple of strings)with fingernails as 4-5 picks,than just one pick...
Just as notice:One of best ex-Yugoslavia's guitarist Tocak from band called SMAK(google it for more info) played lot of good and hard songs with his fingernails only!!!!
For me thats only the mater of situation......beside your own fingernails cost less than real pick,and they are allways there when you need them.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
10.06.2009 - 22:24
ANGEL REAPER

You should see my fingernails: last time i had about 2 cm long fingernails...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
18.06.2009 - 15:00
Lord TJ
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 10.06.2009 at 22:24

Oh ic, pick fingernail tapping?
hehe
That would be something cool to do.
----

18.06.2009 - 15:22
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Lord TJ on 18.06.2009 at 15:00

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 10.06.2009 at 22:24

But it can be done>>It sounds cool<<

Oh ic, pick fingernail tapping?
hehe
That would be something cool to do.
----