01. Prof. Arronax’ Descent Into The Vast Oceans [feat. Chris Noir]
02. Colossus Of The Liquid Graves
03. Mobilis In Mobili
04. The Sea As A Desert
05. A Coral Tomb
06. Ægri Somnia
07. The Mælstrom [feat. Greg Chandler]

Additional info
The album is inspired by Jules Verne’s Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Seas.

Recorded, mixed and mastered at Rama Studios, Mannheim, Germany.

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
After a long slumber, Ahab have finally risen like Cthullu. One of the most anticipated doom albums of 2023 has been released within its first fortnight; the question now turns to whether The Coral Tombs justifies those lofty expectations.

Read more ››
published 12.01.2023 | Comments (15)

Found in 41 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 36   Visited by: 457 users
10.11.2022 - 12:27
Jon Irenicus
Finally! Looking forward to this.
10.11.2022 - 13:00
Rating: 9
Ruisdier
Wake up, babe. Ahab just announced a new album
----
https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7014
AOTY 2022
10.11.2022 - 13:18
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Sail and Kill!
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.11.2022 - 13:25
Jon Irenicus
Hmm, any opinions for the already released track? Can't listen right now (and not sure if I want to before the album is out).
10.11.2022 - 15:22
Crème fraiche
Omg bout time!! Fuck yas!!!
10.11.2022 - 15:24
Desha
delicious dish
Written by Jon Irenicus on 10.11.2022 at 13:25

Hmm, any opinions for the already released track? Can't listen right now (and not sure if I want to before the album is out).

kinda like the calmer parts of Glenn Carrig, maybe a bit of The Giant in there. It starts aggressive, and more so than their previous materials (seems like someone worked on their growls cause damn EDIT: nvm it's probably the featured vocalist)
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
10.11.2022 - 16:32
A Real Mönkey
2023 starting off with a BANG.
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
10.11.2022 - 16:53
Paz
Elite
The most consistent band out there.

10.11.2022 - 17:03
Rating: 8
Opethian
Pre-ordered!
15.11.2022 - 23:12
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Written by Paz on 10.11.2022 at 16:53

The most consistent band out there.

As if there's a challenge out there for metal bands to not sound familiar when they still keep getting paid and nerds still fall for it.

The real challenge is listening to it more than twice, if not once.

Over their first two.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

23.11.2022 - 15:23
Jacob Butcher
Written by Alakazam on 15.11.2022 at 23:12

As if there's a challenge out there for metal bands to not sound familiar when they still keep getting paid and nerds still fall for it.

The point here is that the writer of the original comment thinks that Ahab is one of the band that delivers a consistent high quality. Its not about familiarity. Also, what kind of "nerds" are you talking about, and why do they "fall" for "it"? What is it anyways?
23.11.2022 - 15:37
Rating: 8
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
The beginning is quite unexpected and thus great. Musically, the whole song is good, but not Ahab good. They're one of the most consistenly brilliant doom bands around (I don't often give two 10's to one band). But the clean singing... It's not great, to say the least. I hope the excellent growling will be dominant on the whole record.
28.11.2022 - 18:22
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Written by Jacob Butcher on 23.11.2022 at 15:23

The point here is that the writer of the original comment thinks that Ahab is one of the band that delivers a consistent high quality. Its not about familiarity. Also, what kind of "nerds" are you talking about, and why do they "fall" for "it"? What is it anyways?

Go back to all of their work in chronological order. When you get to a part that bores you and you hear it over and over again on later tracks you might have got it figured out.
----

28.11.2022 - 18:41
Jacob Butcher
Written by Alakazam on 28.11.2022 at 18:22

Go back to all of their work in chronological order. When you get to a part that bores you and you hear it over and over again on later tracks you might have got it figured out.

The fact that you are bored with the music is completely understandable! I can very relate to that. Great innovations can certainly be found better elsewhere. I just am not sure what was meant by "nerds" and why they should "fall for it", but I think that's not so important anymore. I get what you are saying
28.11.2022 - 18:43
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Written by Jacob Butcher on 28.11.2022 at 18:41

The fact that you are bored with the music is completely understandable! I can very relate to that. Great innovations can certainly be found better elsewhere. I just am not sure what was meant by "nerds" and why they should "fall for it", but I think that's not so important anymore. I get what you are saying

Capitalism and knowing when to stop simping due to lack of innovation. Not every pokémon is worth owning, same with music.
----

28.11.2022 - 22:36
A Real Mönkey
Written by Alakazam on 28.11.2022 at 18:43

Not every pokémon is worth owning, same with music.

Now that just sounds like the talk of someone who is very much NOT a Pokémon Master.
----

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
28.11.2022 - 23:01
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Written by A Real Mönkey on 28.11.2022 at 22:36

Now that just sounds like the talk of someone who is very much NOT a Pokémon Master.

Oh yes, I am very very angry right now because some virgin from the internet is emotionally invested in me while I drink my whiskey lmao
----

13.01.2023 - 14:03
Rating: 6
Anghellic67
This was the first Ahab album I've listened and it didn't do much for me. Maybe it's just not my thing.
13.01.2023 - 16:11
musclassia
Staff
Written by Anghellic67 on 13.01.2023 at 14:03

This was the first Ahab album I've listened and it didn't do much for me. Maybe it's just not my thing.

If you generally have some taste for more extreme doom such as funeral doom, I would suggest trying one of their previous albums, as I feel like this isn't the best iteration of them - The Divinity Of Oceans is pretty great as far as funeral-ish doom goes, while The Giant is slightly post-metally (only slightly though). If you don't like funeral doom though, you probably won't get too much out of this band in general
13.01.2023 - 20:26
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Wow that first song is terrible. Very messy songwriting. The rest is pretty uneventful. The clean vocals aren't the greatest and hardly vary in range, I think they absolutely ruin the closing track. They're wayyyy too forced. The crushing atmosphere this band once had seems to be long gone apart from a couple of moments (Title track is nice). Overall I'm not super satisfied with this release.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
13.01.2023 - 21:41
Tom Muller
Was never really my thing
----
Can you see it
14.01.2023 - 02:15
A Real Mönkey
Hmmm this is a toughie. Definitely sounds like Ahab left doom at the door, which is fine with me cause the softer parts are way better than the harder parts which offer nothing. Clean vocals sound like Warning which is nice. I’d place it on par with The Giant quality wise.

Honestly though I feel like I would’ve liked it more if I didn’t have to wait 8 fucking years for it, but maybe it’ll be a grower.

Surely they could’ve picked a better guest for the first song than Ulthra, though. Boring bands make boring guest appearances, apparently.
----

14.01.2023 - 07:05
A good attempt to sound as good as all other records, but it fails to deliver the great passion from the other discs. That said, overall, the album is good on its own, but it lacks all the immensity the others were capable to offer inside the purpose of Ahab. Mostly enjoyable, though.
14.01.2023 - 10:01
Bjamm
What a beautiful song "The Sea As A Desert" was!
15.01.2023 - 02:34
Aries Rising
I want to like it, but it's so boring in parts.
15.01.2023 - 07:24
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
There's some interesting moments here and there, unfortunately they are completely overshadowed by it's tediousness. I thought the clean vocals were the most intriguing part of the album.
15.01.2023 - 08:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
How people can not like it? Good slowfull moarnful music, but that old fumer doom vibe is slower, sometimes floats in a 40 Watt Sun pound, early er one.

Same time recomemdations to read Mussclassia review
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.01.2023 - 11:18
Ruisdier
Written by Bad English on 15.01.2023 at 08:43

How people can not like it? Good slowfull moarnful music, but that old fumer doom vibe is slower, sometimes floats in a 40 Watt Sun pound, early er one.

Same time recomemdations to read Mussclassia review

I agree. People complain about too many cleans, but in my eyes they bring great atmosphere, and they also make the growls hit harder when they do show up.
----
https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7014
AOTY 2022
16.01.2023 - 19:15
Stormm
I just listened to whole album and I can't remember single note. It somehow just...Flew over me. And give to mighty Greg Chandler only 2 minutes? Shame on you!
20.01.2023 - 03:26
Chobo_jokeR
I’ve had this on repeat since it’s release. Sure, maybe it’s not as good as the first two or Their last… but I still think it’s excellent.

Hits total: 7782 | This month: 27