12. Inamorata

The Biggest Letdown Of 2023

Additional info
Recorded at HQ, San Rafael, California.
Mastered at Gateway Mastering.

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Next time, Metallica, please just pick your 40 favorite seasons and call it a day right there.

Read more ››
published 24.04.2023 | Comments (19)

Found in 36 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 6

Comments: 153   Visited by: 1203 users
03.01.2023 - 04:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by R.Boxma on 02.01.2023 at 13:09

Speculation Overkill, prove it if you can

Don't encourage whatever that was.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.01.2023 - 04:26
Yes Overkill! More Inspiration! Thank you. Overkill hails from NJ, which is home to the Jersey Devil.
Lamb of God has a song named A Devil in God's Country. So many connections, just give me time..
Song 11 is Rooms of Mirrors. 11 visually, is two one's mirroring themselves. In Tarot, the Two of Wands represents Doorways. The Magician stands between the gate. Could the gate be to Heaven or Hell? Are they the Magician with the Key?
The Light of the Sun is blocked by the Earth casting a shadow on the moon during a lunar eclipse, which happens during a Full Moon. The 2nd Track is titled Shadows Follow, for the Sun doesn't reflect its light on the moon to the Earth, but back to itself! Mirroring. It lasted for 234 minutes in 1987. If you play poker, the Ace is the 1, so 234 mirrored minutes against the 1 is 4321987 which added together becomes 34, which is also 14/4 1987 added together.
SO if there is a Devil in God's Country, does that mean vis a vi there shall be As Above, So Below, mirrored, a God in Devil's Country??

Look at this Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_1987_lunar_eclipse
----
Live, Die, Rise, Revenge, Repeat.
04.01.2023 - 04:28
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.01.2023 at 04:40

Written by R.Boxma on 02.01.2023 at 13:09

Speculation Overkill, prove it if you can

Don't encourage whatever that was.

And I quote to Kill Troy's Joy
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
----
Live, Die, Rise, Revenge, Repeat.
24.01.2023 - 12:03
Rating: 8
Written by ThunderousWolf on 31.12.2022 at 18:57

Written by R.Boxma on 18.12.2022 at 10:26

72 Seasons, 4 seasons in a year equals 18 years. It'll be a concept album about a teens life from the beginning until it ended by the age of 18 taking the album cover into consideration.

Thank you for the inspiration! Now we can connect the dots.. This is a Luciferian concept album! Its all about Light, Fire, the Torchbearer, and the Fallen.
The 6th song is Latin for Eternal Light, but the use of an AE, referencing L.A., their home and the city of the angels. The highest fallen angel is Lucifer, the morning star.
The true value of 72 is 9, so too is 36 and 18. The 9th song on the album is titled If Darkness had a Son.
There are 12 songs, 12 squared =144, 1+4+4=9 14/4 or the 14th of April!!! the Day of the Release!
1+9+8+7= 25, 2+5=7. 1+4+4+1+9+8+7=34=7 7+7=14 1+4=5 The Pentagram!
On the day of (Track9) If Darkness had a son, in the year of our Lord (Track7) Crown(ed) of Barbed Wire

So if we go backwards from the day of its release by 72 seasons, 14th of April 2023, we'll find that to be the 18th birthday of the Fallen One, Lucifer, which marks his birth somewhere in 1987. 14/4 1987.
The encoded message is that the Light Bringer who will usher in the New Age, Age of Horus, Age of Aquarius, et al was born on April 14th, 1987!!

dude, are you ok?
31.01.2023 - 18:32
metalbrat
Damn!!! 3 pages of comments.....Still they were the most loved and are the most hated band.

----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
31.01.2023 - 19:13
Rating: 7
JoHn Doe
^ the more famous the band, the more pages there are
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
13.03.2023 - 01:27
Rating: 6
24emd
Theory Snob
^ the more famous the band = the more loved and hated they are
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums
13.03.2023 - 08:05
JoHn Doe
Written by 24emd on 13.03.2023 at 01:27

also true, and a bit predictable I dare say
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
13.03.2023 - 22:53
24emd
Theory Snob
Written by JoHn Doe on 13.03.2023 at 08:05

Do you have any other words in your vocabulary?
----

Best 2024 Albums
14.03.2023 - 07:46
JoHn Doe
Written by 24emd on 13.03.2023 at 22:53

Written by JoHn Doe on 13.03.2023 at 08:05

Do you have any other words in your vocabulary?

is that an insult? Why? have I ever been rude to you? I don't get it. Are you implying I have a limited vocabulary?
You know I was agreeing with what you said. But if you choose to insult me instead, that's all you...
----
14.03.2023 - 08:24
24emd
Theory Snob
Written by JoHn Doe on 14.03.2023 at 07:46

is that an insult? Why? have I ever been rude to you? I don't get it. Are you implying I have a limited vocabulary?
You know I was agreeing with what you said. But if you choose to insult me instead, that's all you...

Sorry man, I had no intention of insulting you, it's all on me for coming off that way. I was only taking the piss because 'predictable' feels really overused these days, and there have gotta be more in-depth ways to express our feelings towards high-caliber bands like this putting out disappointing stuff.

That being said, I do agree with your point. What I said was by no means supposed to be a dig or a petty comeback. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
----

Best 2024 Albums
13.04.2023 - 16:22
24emd
Theory Snob
Shit, I just realised this is out. Gotta go listen, the last track is 11 minutes long
----

Best 2024 Albums
14.04.2023 - 08:00
Anghellic67
It's not bad. It's not that good. It's Metallica.
14.04.2023 - 08:27
Mehdi Taba
Mehdi Taba
It's a mixture of Hardwired…To Self-Destruct/Load/St. Anger!
It's a good album but nothing special or great.
The best track is "72 Seasons", the ones that Kirk Hammett co-wrote are the best.
It's a thrash heavy metal album with touches from modern alternative, groove and hard rock.

6.7/10
----
Stop seeing things and people in a binary way. Everything has its own spectrum and complexity. Be patient and learn about the world.
14.04.2023 - 08:57
24emd
Theory Snob
I hated "Lux Aeterna" and "If Darkness Has A Son" at first, but now I consider them the better songs off the album. Gets pretty boring and repetitive towards the end, pretty much no more than a few good riffs and solos for me. James' vocals are ok on this one too.
In the end, I'm gonna have to reluctantly say: Metallica 2023 < Megadeth 2022
----

Best 2024 Albums
14.04.2023 - 09:26
Rating: 5
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by 24emd on 13.04.2023 at 16:22

the last track is 11 minutes long

It's probably hard to believe for you lot, but it's by far the best track on this thing. It still has a redundant standard chorus towards the end that stifles the tremendous momentum that the second half otherwise has, but I legit think it's their best song since No Leaf Clover.
14.04.2023 - 10:38
Stormm
Written by Mehdi Taba on 14.04.2023 at 08:27

It's a mixture of Hardwired…To Self-Destruct/Load/St. Anger!
It's a good album but nothing special or great.
The best track is "72 Seasons", the ones that Kirk Hammett co-wrote are the best.
It's a thrash heavy metal album with touches from modern alternative, groove and hard rock.

6.6/10

Where exactly you hear St. Anger here?
14.04.2023 - 12:16
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
At least St Anger and Lulu were entertainingly awful. This one is just boring.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
14.04.2023 - 13:40
JoHn Doe
Written by RaduP on 14.04.2023 at 12:16

At least St Anger and Lulu were entertainingly awful. This one is just boring.

I disagree, both St. Anger and Lulu are just awful, no redeeming quality in either of them. Not "so bad it's good" type either. But the 'so bad it's good" quality (for lack of a better word) never works for me when it comes to music. Maybe some movies, but never music.

Just finished listening to the album (77 minutes good God!), not bad at all. It's more or less Hardwired... part 2. It's got that 90s Metallica style indeed, but it's more coherent than Load/Reload (just a first impression, we'll see if I think the same after other listens). James Hetfield makes the whole thing listenable for me, no surprise here, I enjoy his performance.

What drags down later day Metallica is the drumming which is nothing special. If a band is only as good as its drummer, then I don't mind this band being called average, or even mediocre. I understand (at least) where it comes from.
----
14.04.2023 - 13:51
MikeVonDoom
I feel like splitting this album in two parts, the first one where there's nothing new nor worth of notting, just the classic Metallica's hard n'heavy (1, 2, 3, 5, 10). Then there are these songs that feel like there was some good experimenting going on and things become more interesting (4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12).
I'll focus this short review in a few songs from the second part. First Sleepwalk my Life Away, has a promising intro but it fades a bit after that. It's a shame because the potential was there.
Crown of Barbed Wire has a very peculiar arrangement of riffs. The main one it reminded me the chorus riff from Coal Chamber's My Mercy. Why? Absolutely no idea. But because of it, it caught my attention also. Then there's that crushing bridge just after Kirk's solo. Very unexpected!
The last song, being the longest, didn't listen to it with it duration in mind but reflecting on the work behind it. Or else I was falling in the same mistake that other reviewers did calling it "too long" or "tiring". Again, there was some interesting riffing goin on. But I think it's worth noting that section at 4:44, with Kirk's solo and both guitar guys showing why they're still together playing, peaking at the minute 6:40 where they choose a Orion's kinda composition to end the song, proving that the chemistry is there. I must admit that this section made me shiver! Hat's off to you, guys!!!
I would like to praise Lars for going back to the double bass drumming and both Kirk and James for betting in some chugs and different riffing (hence the experimenting). There were some moments that their music sounded fresh and worth the time.
About Rob's bass, after careful listening and struggling with my initial thoughts, the guy is finally showing (me) why he was elected to replace Jason Newsted. His playing is spot on, with some noticeable moments. The bass tone is cool; just listen (again) to "Sleepwalk My Life Away" intro.
14.04.2023 - 14:21
24emd
Theory Snob
Written by Risto on 14.04.2023 at 09:26

Written by 24emd on 13.04.2023 at 16:22

the last track is 11 minutes long

It's probably hard to believe for you lot, but it's by far the best track on this thing. It still has a redundant standard chorus towards the end that stifles the tremendous momentum that the second half otherwise has, but I legit think it's their best song since No Leaf Clover.

Definitely the highlight
----

Best 2024 Albums
14.04.2023 - 14:43
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by MikeVonDoom on 14.04.2023 at 13:51

I know I didn't mention Rob's bass. It's just because after all these years I still don't see him contributing/bringing anything new to the band as much as Cliff's or Jason did. I never saw him fit in the band. I'm sorry to those who might find this opinion insulting.

You should get your facts straight before saying Trujillo doesn't contribute. It's because of him that fans actually got a new album with original material rather than re-interpretations of old songs. You can read about it here.
14.04.2023 - 15:13
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
What would 20 year old Metallica think of this album if they heard it in 1984?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
14.04.2023 - 15:17
JoHn Doe
Written by Boxcar Willy on 14.04.2023 at 15:13

What would 20 year old Metallica think of this album if they heard it back then?

I don't think it matters.
Also this makes me remember the interviews Genesis did for their remasters. Two of the band members were very critical with some of their older albums, which are the prog masterpieces for a lot of people. I was surprised.
Another example is James Hetfield dislikes his voice/vocal on Kill'em All.
----
14.04.2023 - 15:17
MikeVonDoom
Written by Nejde on 14.04.2023 at 14:43

You should get your facts straight before saying Trujillo doesn't contribute. It's because of him that fans actually got a new album with original material rather than re-interpretations of old songs. You can read about it here.

Once again, I mean no disrespect to anyone. It's not a fact, it's my opinion. I have edited my comment adding that new info that you provide. I wasn't aware of that. I was writing while listening to the album so there was only the music flowing through my thoughts, no investigation whatsoever. Thank you.
14.04.2023 - 15:42
musclassia
Staff
It's just an aggressively OK album - nothing here is incompetently made, but with the exception of parts of the 11-minute closer (and only parts of it), [edit: there's nothing] I find particularly engaging. It's a shame, because they were capable of it on Hardwired - I still maintain that Atlas Rise, Moth Into Flame, Halo On Fire and Spit Out The Bone are banging tracks. I don't really hear anything of their like here. I'd prefer to listen to this than the Megadeth album from last year, mainly because Hetfield's voice is holding up better over time than Mustaine's IMO, but I don't see myself going back to either
14.04.2023 - 15:49
JoHn Doe
Written by musclassia on 14.04.2023 at 15:42

It's just an aggressively OK album - nothing here is incompetently made, but with the exception of parts of the 11-minute closer (and only parts of it) do I find particularly engaging. It's a shame, because they were capable of it on Hardwired - I still maintain that Atlas Rise, Moth Into Flame, Halo On Fire and Spit Out The Bone are banging tracks. I don't really hear anything of their like here. I'd prefer to listen to this than the Megadeth album from last year, mainly because Hetfield's voice is holding up better over time than Mustaine's IMO, but I don't see myself going back to either

I agree with most things stated here.
I also prefer listening to the last two Metallica albums than later day Megadeth. The older i get, the less i can stand Mustaine's singing, it's become grating to my ears. I will always listen to 80s and most of 90s Megadeth, simple nostalgia I guess, but later day albums I found a bit tedious (funny because most of the lead guitar work, whether by Broderick or Kiko is miles better than whatever Kirk is doing).
----
14.04.2023 - 16:07
AndreMarcos
Not gonna lie, this album is what I think ChatGPT would come up if i asked it to make a Metallica album
14.04.2023 - 16:09
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
This is turdburger.
14.04.2023 - 16:25
nonZero
Not a bad album by any means. A bit monotonous and overlong, but still some great riffs on this. Probably about as good as Disc 2 of Hardwired, not as strong as Disc 1 or Death Magnetic though.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)

Hits total: 24321 | This month: 58