Metal Storm logo
Metallica - Present 'Screaming Suicide'

After unveiling details and first single of their upcoming 72 Seasons album, Metallica now premiere official video for the second single called "Screaming Suicide". The album arrives on April 14th, 2023.

The band says of the track:

"Screaming Suicide" addresses the taboo word of suicide. The intention is to communicate about the darkness we feel inside. It's ridiculous to think we should deny that we have these thoughts. At one point or another, I believe most people have thought about it. To face it is to speak the unspoken. If it's a human experience, we should be able to talk about it. You are not alone."

Source: metallica.com
Band profile: Metallica
Posted: 20.01.2023 by Abattoir

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 31   Visited by: 231 users
20.01.2023 - 13:08
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
I made a little primer for you guys:
- The song is shit
- The video is terrible
- The solo is bad
- The production is awful
- The drumming is ghastly
- The singing is subpar
- The album cover is still shit
Take your pick
20.01.2023 - 13:25
Handala
Well I guess before all the negativity comes in here, I would like to say that I like it, maybe it's nothing all that unique or original but still an improvement over the previous single, hopefully the rest of the album is more like this.
20.01.2023 - 13:28
24emd
Theory Snob
Well a bad solo is a given these days. I didn't really like Lux though, so I'll see what I think.
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums
20.01.2023 - 13:43
musclassia
Staff
Written by Daniell on 20.01.2023 at 13:08

- The song is shit
- The video is terrible
- The solo is bad
- The singing is subpar
Take your pick

I'll go for 'this song is absolutely 'ok', but not all that much more than that' - if it had been on Hardwired, it certainly wouldn't have been the worst feature on there (Metallica would do well to trump ManUnkind on that front with this new album), but it certainly wouldn't have been among the best. It has a similarish energy to Atlas, Rise from the last album, which for me is arguably the standout track from Hardwired, but I find it to be significantly less interesting in its execution. I'll listen to it again, but only because I'll listen to the full album when it comes out; if it was a song from an unknown band that I randomly checked out, I doubt I'd choose to hear it again. No issues with the performance though, solo is absolutely fine and fitting with the track.
20.01.2023 - 13:47
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by musclassia on 20.01.2023 at 13:43

I'll go for 'this song is absolutely 'ok', but not all that much more than that' - if it had been on Hardwired, it certainly wouldn't have been the worst feature on there (Metallica would do well to trump ManUnkind on that front with this new album), but it certainly wouldn't have been among the best. It has a similarish energy to Atlas, Rise from the last album, which for me is arguably the standout track from Hardwired, but I find it to be significantly less interesting in its execution. I'll listen to it again, but only because I'll listen to the full album when it comes out; if it was a song from an unknown band that I randomly checked out, I doubt I'd choose to hear it again. No issues with the performance though, solo is absolutely fine and fitting with the track.

I kind of agree with you. The song (after one listen) is ok, but I don't think it'll grow on me too much when I listen to it more times after the whole album is released.
20.01.2023 - 14:10
SamuelYK
The truth is that if this wouldn't have Metallica name on it nobody would give a shit, it's a meh okay.
20.01.2023 - 14:23
Nejde
CommunityManager
They did a decent attempt to go back to their thrash roots with Death Magnetic which is the only listenable album they've made since the 80's (not counting the black album which isn't thrash). Why they steered away from that sound again is a big question mark because Hardwired was an underwhelming album and these first two songs from new album just lowers the expectation for 72 Seasons. Lux Æterna was better than this one but that doesn't really say much. Just put on Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets instead and dream your way back to a time where Metallica felt relevant.
20.01.2023 - 15:30
Duck Dodgers
I like it...what did you really expect from Metallica in 2023? The Master of Sandman? Relax! )
20.01.2023 - 15:41
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Billion dollar band can't figure out bass drum production.

I actually didn't hate the song which surprised me. The more heavy metal leaning suits James current vocal state. It would be nice for them to just once, trim the fat and release a 3 minute song,
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.01.2023 - 15:45
JoHn Doe
Not bad at all, the solo is little bit ripped off Deep Purple's Highway Star, i was wondering why it sounded familiar.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
20.01.2023 - 19:18
Stormm
I don't know. It's about about suicide (word which probably flew through Hetfield's mind far more than once) so why not make it harsher, heavier and more into your face and, of course, thrashier? It's just another heavy metal song Metallica style with same production like on last album. Shame that they resigned on some kind of development and are just making another album.
20.01.2023 - 20:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hate me, but I like it. Good song.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.01.2023 - 21:03
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Written by Boxcar Willy on 20.01.2023 at 15:41

Billion dollar band can't figure out bass drum production.

I actually didn't hate the song which surprised me. The more heavy metal leaning suits James current vocal state. It would be nice for them to just once, trim the fat and release a 3 minute song,

They did, Lux Aeterna was 3:30.

New song is ok, I did enjoy Lux more, felt more original to me.
20.01.2023 - 21:35
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by WorpeX on 20.01.2023 at 21:03

They did, Lux Aeterna was 3:30.

New song is ok, I did enjoy Lux more, felt more original to me.

That's fair. It's a common Metallica problem though, even with their classic albums. Lots of pointless noodling and repetition.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.01.2023 - 23:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
This sounds exactly like what you'd expect 60 year old rockers to sound like.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.01.2023 - 00:01
omne metallum
Contributor
Sounds like a glorified demo or a song they use to rehearse rather than a finished track. Don't know what on Earth they've done to Hetfield's vocals, but he sounds awful on this track.

Be interesting what the album sounds like, but think i'm safe in not keeping my hopes too high.
----
Just because I'm not listening doesn't mean I don't care
21.01.2023 - 13:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.01.2023 at 23:20

This sounds exactly like what you'd expect 60 year old rockers to sound like.

NO it sounds better as other 60 years old rockers play.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.01.2023 - 19:06
Mad Mike
This is definitely one of the songs of 2023
----
Did you ever notice that the people who tell you to get a life are normally people who should be dead in the first place?
21.01.2023 - 19:50
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by Stormm on 20.01.2023 at 19:18

I don't know. It's about about suicide (word which probably flew through Hetfield's mind far more than once) so why not make it harsher, heavier and more into your face and, of course, thrashier?

I agree with this. The chorus also doesn't pack a punch. It just kind of falls flat the way he sings it. And Kirk reliably makes another long, annoying, whining solo
21.01.2023 - 20:50
Khold Baroness
Sounds like a garage band...the songs are too long and repetitive ( boring).
23.01.2023 - 20:34

- The song is shit
- The video is terrible
- The solo is bad
- The singing is subpar
Take your pick

How to Hate on Metallica 101.
23.01.2023 - 20:34
Nice song. I liked the riffs and vocals. Good to see the band still has it after all these years.

23.01.2023 - 21:05
Metal Rasputin
It's ok. Not terrible, just a tad bit too long and repetitive.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
24.01.2023 - 01:44
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Sounds quite uninspired to me. Not a terrible song, it's competently put together, but there's not really something in it that I find to be exciting.

I don't know, it really feels like an autopilot song to me. This doesn't take you on a journey, it doesn't give you that burst of raw energy you would expect from a thrash song, and it doesn't have anything really memorable that you'll remember after you've listened to it. Inoffensively forgettable to me, tbh.
25.01.2023 - 21:12
Archie 666
This song is shit.
26.01.2023 - 10:46
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Nejde on 20.01.2023 at 14:23

They did a decent attempt to go back to their thrash roots with Death Magnetic which is the only listenable album they've made since the 80's (not counting the black album which isn't thrash). Why they steered away from that sound again is a big question mark

I think that happened because they know that most of their fans are not those who yearn to hear 80's-like thrash, but those who want to listen to the likes of Enter Sandman and Nothing Else Matters.

No matter how much their thrash past is superior to their mainstream present in our opinion, we need to realize that we're the minority. I'm pretty sure that 90% of the people who listen to Metallica never even visit a single metal website. Let me give you an example from real life. In August 2019 we drove to a Metallica gig in Prague. It was myself, my colleague from work, his wife, and his mother. On the way there, both his wife and mother made it clear that they neither cared about, or knew old Metallica (minus Fade to Black). They were waiting to hear Unforgiven, Enter Sandman and the like. When I played Creeping Death for them, they asked me to stop, because they hated the aggression and heaviness. I complied, but had my sweet revenge when Metallica played the song later
26.01.2023 - 14:54
ian b

- The song is shit
- The video is terrible
- The solo is bad
- The singing is subpar
Take your pick

All of the above except the video as I havnt seen it
26.01.2023 - 15:23
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by Daniell on 26.01.2023 at 10:46

Written by Nejde on 20.01.2023 at 14:23

They did a decent attempt to go back to their thrash roots with Death Magnetic which is the only listenable album they've made since the 80's (not counting the black album which isn't thrash). Why they steered away from that sound again is a big question mark

I think that happened because they know that most of their fans are not those who yearn to hear 80's-like thrash, but those who want to listen to the likes of Enter Sandman and Nothing Else Matters.

No matter how much their thrash past is superior to their mainstream present in our opinion, we need to realize that we're the minority. I'm pretty sure that 90% of the people who listen to Metallica never even visit a single metal website.

Sadly, you're probably right.
31.01.2023 - 18:10
metalbrat

- The song is shit
- The video is terrible
- The solo is bad
- The singing is subpar
Take your pick

And you are hereby certified as a true metal head by MS as you have successfully shit on Metallica...

----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
31.01.2023 - 19:46
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Quote:
Written by metalbrat on 31.01.2023 at 18:10

And you are hereby certified as a true metal head by MS as you have successfully shit on Metallica...

While in actuality, I was mockingly criticizing those who shit on Metallica only because it's Metallica. Check the thread about the first single from the new album to see my opinions.

Hits total: 3305 | This month: 8