09. The Dopamine Void Pt. II
10. Saturnine
11. In Mourning
12. Only Loss

Top 20 albums of 2022: 5

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
Damnum, according to the promo materials, is the first Allegaeon album on which all band members creatively collaborated. Evidently, some of the previously unheard voices are big fans of Swedish metal.

Read more ››
published 24.02.2022 | Comments (6)

Found in 58 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 44   Visited by: 998 users
28.10.2021 - 06:25
Rating: 8
sgtrobo
Really looking forward to this, these guys are incredible
28.10.2021 - 08:18
Rating: 9
BCI
Super hyped
----
Black Crown Initiate have ruined a lot of bands for me...
28.10.2021 - 09:48
Rating: 7
gavdann
I agree. Super consistent and great live. Touring next year with Archspire and Rivers of Nihil, so looking forward to that.
08.02.2022 - 11:46
nonZero
The first 2 singles don't sound as inspired as their other albums. Hoping they have more memorable material on the rest of the album.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
25.02.2022 - 16:35
BCI
I'm on me first listen. I'm not feeling it yet. It's gonna happen, I know it.
Loving the straight vocals BTW.
----
26.02.2022 - 14:57
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
It's a good album but I'm still not seeing it as masterpiece material yet, maybe time will tell. It's taken a while for it to really sink in for me, as there is so much complexity in the songwriting.

The main highlight for me is the amazing production, which allows every instrument to come into it's own, and every aspect of the album sounds top notch quality. The drumming work is phenomenal, the beats are played with such ferocity and complexity, and the guitar work is also mind-blowingley complex, maybe too complex for my ears unfortunately .

The vocals work well between the clean and the harsh, though I much prefer the harsh, except for the one or twi rapping sections, which annoy me, but I understand they go with the ferocious speed of the music at times.

Other highlights for me is the piano section on "Blight", the opening part to "Called Home", and the song "Saturine". The rest hasn't quite sunk in for me yet, but maybe in time the album as a whole will warm to me more.

I believe even in this early stage, by the end of the year this album will be a strong contender for the AOTY award in it's category.
27.02.2022 - 02:48
Icedburden
Rapping sections?
----
Born Out Of Hate, Descending Upon The Earth
27.02.2022 - 06:12
BCI
Written by Icedburden on 27.02.2022 at 02:48

Rapping sections?

Yea, in between the 2 reggae parts 🤣🤣🤣
----
27.02.2022 - 07:18
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
^ I must be mistaken, but there were moments when the harsh vocals were ultra fast that it sounded like he began rapping, kind of similar to Archspire in a way But there is that much going on in this album that I must of missed the reggae parts.
27.02.2022 - 11:40
gavdann
Another mind blowingly awesome album for me.

This band can do very little wrong IMO but it's interesting to see on the AMG site they always give Allegaeon middling reviews and always comment on the length of the album. I don't think they have the mental capacity to handle a record over 40 minutes long.
28.02.2022 - 10:22
Icedburden
Written by gavdann on 27.02.2022 at 11:40

Another mind blowingly awesome album for me.

This band can do very little wrong IMO but it's interesting to see on the AMG site they always give Allegaeon middling reviews and always comment on the length of the album. I don't think they have the mental capacity to handle a record over 40 minutes long.

They review albums in 320kbs mp3 quality. Probably with gen 1 airpods. I'll never understand reviewing any medium without reference equipment or sources. If you arent experiencing the artists material as close to its intention as possible, why bother?
----
Born Out Of Hate, Descending Upon The Earth
28.02.2022 - 11:54
nonZero
Good but not very memorable, which is a shame as most of their previous albums had at least 2-3 memorable songs that stood out as well as a load of 'good' ones. This is just full of 'good' ones.

Probably their worst album so far IMO.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
28.02.2022 - 16:42
AndrewDias
Its only February and Allegaeon comes out with an album of the year contender.
01.03.2022 - 15:00
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
The first album I've listened to from these guys that actually sounds inspired and coherent. Love the new direction they've taken and glad I've kept up with them to now find this. Here's hoping they keep everyone in the band contributing as they did with this release.
01.03.2022 - 18:14
musclassia
Staff
Gave it a listen for the first time since I reviewed it - Called Home really does stand out to me, such an amazing interpretation of the 00s Opeth sound
01.03.2022 - 18:18
Uxküll
Incredible, the pandemic definitely bolstered their writing. The lead singer talks about their change in writing over the pandemic here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLPwjROuNuQ
----
"Nullum unquam exstitit magnum igenium sine aliqua dementia [there was never great genius without some madness]."

Best of Metal A-Z: http://metalstorm.net/users/lists.php?user_id=158339
02.03.2022 - 10:41
Rinbel
Allegaeon achieved every goal on this album. Extremely consistent with the right dose of complexity and groove, all songs sound so big and inspired. The technical side does not devour the more organic and emotional parts. There's serious musicianship here. I take my hat off.
04.03.2022 - 01:49
Rating: 10
OpethFlames
What an album this is. Easily Allegaeon's best imo. Technical yet groovy, melodic, emotional, and catchy as hell. Not a dull moment on this. The hour runtime flies by, only to want to hit play again. The guitar solos are so emotive and sounds like each note was carefully chosen for the feel of the song. Example being 3:42 into track 4, omfg! The vocal performance is amazing as well, death growls, gutturals, cleans, blackened screams, all by Riley McShane I think, he just lets loose. Bass solos and nice runs, kick ass pummeling drumming, I could keep praising this album, but I'm going to go listen to it again for the 9th time so far. Excited to see these guys in less than 3 weeks!
04.03.2022 - 18:52
Hrodebert
Holy crap this is a damn good album! I need to go back and check their back catalog. Already a 10 this year and I don't rate many things 10, damn good album!
05.03.2022 - 11:32
hyper
First saw them open for Ne Obliviscaris , immediately fell in love with them. tho they sounded much better live, cause of the plastic dull production on the previous albums, but this album, dayuumnn. nailed it
10.03.2022 - 01:17
Fred_P
This is my first album from these guys.. Wow, this is phenomenal. I'm usually not into tech death much, but I found this super good. It's extremely catchy, love the variety in vocals, the solos, hell everything is killer here. I need to listen to it many more times to fully grasp it but really enjoyed it. Best songs for me are "Saturnine", "Called Home" and "Of Beasts and Worms".

Are their other albums in line with this one ?
13.03.2022 - 09:06
Unbelievably musically amazing metal. Of Beasts and Worms, Into Embers, and Saturnine slap so fucking hard. Elements of the Infinite is still my favorite overall, but this album is phenomenal.
13.03.2022 - 19:34
OpethFlames
Written by Fred_P on 10.03.2022 at 01:17

This is my first album from these guys.. Wow, this is phenomenal. I'm usually not into tech death much, but I found this super good. It's extremely catchy, love the variety in vocals, the solos, hell everything is killer here. I need to listen to it many more times to fully grasp it but really enjoyed it. Best songs for me are "Saturnine", "Called Home" and "Of Beasts and Worms".

Are their other albums in line with this one ?

I've got the two prior to Damnum and while I always thought they were good, they are nothing special. Damnum is on a whole other level, but check them out for yourself, I've heard quite a few praise Apoptosis while I enjoyed Proponent For Sentience more.
21.03.2022 - 08:22
Dalleo
Goosebumps all over. Great vocals, sweet solos, great transitions. this album just has everything for me GJ Allegaeon
23.03.2022 - 23:40
MetalManic
Written by BCI on 25.02.2022 at 16:35

I'm on me first listen. I'm not feeling it yet. It's gonna happen, I know it.
Loving the straight vocals BTW.

Judging by the 10 score you've awarded, I suspect that you're "feeling it" now
23.03.2022 - 23:41
MetalManic
Riverside called. They want their Second Life Syndrome album cover back
27.03.2022 - 18:48
dickkafa
Didn't like the clean vocal parts. This could be a 9 from me if there aren't any cleans
30.03.2022 - 20:45
sgtrobo
I don't get why people have a problem with cleans. You listen to heavy metal that has cleans, right? Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Draconian (ahem!) etc?
Forget about the "genre label" and just listen to the songs. The cleans were extremely well done. Don't get wrapped around the axle about the silly "death metal doesn't have cleans" trope
31.03.2022 - 11:27
GrimReaper85
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 27.02.2022 at 07:18
But there is that much going on in this album that I must of missed the reggae parts.

I believe that was sarcasm.
31.03.2022 - 13:26
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by GrimReaper85 on 31.03.2022 at 11:27

Written by AndyMetalFreak on 27.02.2022 at 07:18
But there is that much going on in this album that I must of missed the reggae parts.

I believe that was sarcasm.

True, although it would of been a nice surprise if Reggae elements had been featured

Hits total: 15647 | This month: 63