07. Self-Aware

Disc II [Limited Edition]
01. Age Of Anger
02. Together Again
03. Friend Or Foe? [single version]
04. Self-Aware [single version]

The Best Progressive Metal Album Of 2023

Additional info
Recorded at the Boogie Town Studio in Otwock, Poland and Serakos Studio in Warsaw, Poland.
Mixed at the Boogie Town Studio.

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
Among prog fans, few groups hold such pride of place as Riverside; within a genre that many of its detractors criticize for emphasizing style and technicality over substance, the Polish group have consistently produced music teeming with powerful emotion. A recent history beset by tragedy and setbacks has given good reason to further explore emotion and identity, which Riverside have very much done on ID.Entity, a record that looks both back towards their roots and also ever onward.

Read more ››
published 22.01.2023 | Comments (11)

Found in 52 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 35   Visited by: 725 users
21.10.2022 - 18:43
Paz
Elite
The first single is up:

21.10.2022 - 19:13
Rating: 9
Metal Rasputin
The single sounds great, maybe little too safe and probably meant to get the old fans hyped by being more like their earlier stuff, but sounds good to me. Can't wait for the full album to come out.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
10.01.2023 - 13:17
UruzTyr
Written by Metal Rasputin on 21.10.2022 at 19:13

The single sounds great, maybe little too safe and probably meant to get the old fans hyped by being more like their earlier stuff, but sounds good to me. Can't wait for the full album to come out.
We all though they where playing safe... then they released the other two singles "Self-Aware" and "friend or Foe". Really loving the new direction, lets see what the rest of the album brings to the table.
13.01.2023 - 11:58
Dylan 1974
One week to go until this one lands. I thought the single was decent - looking forward to hearing the full versions of 'friend or foe' and 'self aware'.
13.01.2023 - 21:50
Chidder
Written by Dylan 1974 on 13.01.2023 at 11:58

One week to go until this one lands. I thought the single was decent - looking forward to hearing the full versions of 'friend or foe' and 'self aware'.

I am just after listening. It's a pleasant, light-hearted album. I'd say in few songs it's a bit like progressive pop-rock. A nice change, a breath of fresh air. And yeah, "Self-Aware" is my favourite.
15.01.2023 - 11:53
Dylan 1974
Written by Chidder on 13.01.2023 at 21:50

I am just after listening. It's a pleasant, light-hearted album. I'd say in few songs it's a bit like progressive pop-rock. A nice change, a breath of fresh air. And yeah, "Self-Aware" is my favourite.

Good to hear mate. Top band and really looking forward to checking the LP out.
20.01.2023 - 13:02
Rating: 8
Anghellic67
Progressive metal without any death or black tends to be boring for me usually but this wasn't for sure. Though even this is not really my thing, I can appreciate how diverse these songs are and I like the lyrics even though they sound a bit cliché in some parts. I enjoyed it but probably won't listen it again.
20.01.2023 - 15:25
Vellichor
Great release as I expected! Not metal in the slightest but still a good album. Really liked Friend or Foe and Self Aware.
20.01.2023 - 16:18
musclassia
Staff
Their best since at least Shrine Of New Generation Slaves, if not even better than that one; I wasn't sure what to expect from this but am very pleasantly surprised
20.01.2023 - 19:09
forkintheass
Is the "landmine blast" some sort of self-quote? I definitely heard that on one of the albums, but I don't remember on which one.
20.01.2023 - 19:15
Metal Rasputin
Hell frigging yeah this is so good.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
21.01.2023 - 09:06
Mehdi Taba
Mehdi Taba
Another masterpiece from the beloved Riverside.
Everything is strong about this great prog album, so fresh and eclectic with crystal production.
Singles aren't the best tracks, it's the exact opposite!
8.8/10
----
Stop seeing things and people in a binary way. Everything has its own spectrum and complexity. Be patient and learn about the world.
21.01.2023 - 10:57
Kais
The singles didn't prepare us for what this album really has in store. This is, unexpectadly, one of their best albums to date. Might even be their best. What a rare band they are.
21.01.2023 - 13:22
Rating: 7
Tom Muller
A bit too soft fot me, otherwise a strong album
----
Can you see it
22.01.2023 - 17:20
Rating: 6
terroriser
Ney. Not my cup of tea. Boring and, as most prog albums, I heard it all before.
----
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4i2hn2aUeKBtxzw8UN2EML?si=_gXZwweyShiek4Dmk5UzpA
24.01.2023 - 06:18
Oracles
This album feels short to me...

Like all the songs are great, but it sort of feels incomplete or they decided to add a couple of songs together for a long song or something (just feels weird, but not in a bad way). The deluxe edition adds some depth, but not really enough. I love all the 80s "New Wave" sound on this album, adds a really unique blend with their traditional prog sound.
25.01.2023 - 08:28
JoHn Doe
Impressive, very enjoyable, with a great flow.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
26.01.2023 - 12:13
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Yes it's safe, clean, and a wee bit soft but it's also impressively constructed, well thought through, and has some pretty neat songwriting. They're still releasing some of the finest progressive metal/rock around whereas Dream Theater seem to be heading in the opposite direction.
26.01.2023 - 12:29
JoHn Doe
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 26.01.2023 at 12:13

Yes it's safe, clean, and a wee bit soft but it's also impressively constructed, well thought through, and has some pretty neat songwriting. They're still releasing some of the finest progressive metal/rock around whereas Dream Theater seem to be heading in the opposite direction.

Dream Theater have become predictable whereas Riverside have not.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
27.01.2023 - 07:55
Rating: 7
24emd
Theory Snob
Respectfully disagree with the last two comments

As for this album, I did really enjoy it, nothing amazing imo put definitely one of the best of the month.
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums
27.01.2023 - 12:27
They've gone full rock on this one. I never felt Riverside as a metal band, but always got the sense of the genre in some of their discs, which is not the case here. It's a great record, I'd rate it a 10, however, I'm quite saturated with groups going from an extreme sonority to a proggy vibe among many ones I listen to. Obviously, it's not the case with Riverside, as they've been progressive since their very beginning, I only think that, though being the "old new thing" in the rock/metal scene, very little has been added to the "progressive" label (whether rock or metal), and Riverside also did nothing about it in this new album, which is on my repeat mode since its release.
27.01.2023 - 21:32
Samot
They managed to maintain the quality and expectation that was high after a great album like wasteland.... Great Album strong AOTY for me and we are just in January!
----
Um, Dois, Três, Quatro! Yeah! PORRA!!!
29.01.2023 - 20:03
Rating: 6
AndreMarcos
Good first half, but the second half i quite weaker
06.02.2023 - 12:28
Rating: 4
KaninStryparn
----
Heavy Metal is the law that keeps us all united free
A law that shatters earth and hell
06.02.2023 - 14:33
JoHn Doe
Written by KaninStryparn on 06.02.2023 at 12:28

Your post and rating made me sad.
Maybe Riverside is not your thing?! Do you think it's bad? (rating of 4 means bad album).
An album has to be really bad for me to give it a rating of 4.
----
07.02.2023 - 08:56
Rating: 4
KaninStryparn
Quote:
Maybe Riverside is not your thing?! Do you think it's bad (rating of 4 means bad album).

Didn't want to make you sad, Sorry!
Yeah i guess riverside is not my thing. I found the album very boring. But maybe i just had a bad day and need to give it another try?
----
Heavy Metal is the law that keeps us all united free
A law that shatters earth and hell
20.02.2023 - 20:32
Samot
Quote:
Written by KaninStryparn on 07.02.2023 at 08:56

Maybe Riverside is not your thing?! Do you think it's bad (rating of 4 means bad album).

Didn't want to make you sad, Sorry!
Yeah i guess riverside is not my thing. I found the album very boring. But maybe i just had a bad day and need to give it another try?

if you like progressive metal for sure bro ..... it's one of the great bands in activity today ..... it makes me feel sorry for bands like Dream Theater unfortunately when I stop to listen DT it's just old stuff
----
Um, Dois, Três, Quatro! Yeah! PORRA!!!
17.03.2023 - 05:23
tintinb
The songs are good, no doubt. I wish they were a bit more heavier and not as uplifting. The lyrics seemed preachy. I loved the riffing on I'm done with you and Age of Anger.
----
Leeches everywhere.
03.04.2023 - 21:16
Mreza.bhri
This is not a good album; like at all .. 😑
03.04.2023 - 22:47
JoHn Doe
Written by Mreza.bhri on 03.04.2023 at 21:16

This is not a good album; like at all .. 😑

what's wrong with it?
----

Hits total: 12252 | This month: 48