05. Gardens Of The Erased
06. Egregore
07. Infinion
08. Convergence
09. The Sea
10. Becoming

Top 20 albums of 2023: 1

Additional info
Produced, Recorded, mixed and mastered by Nimblkorg at Nimblkorg Productions.
Artwork by Minghao Xu at Void Visuals.

Staff review by
AndyMetalFreak
Rating:
For most metalheads, Shylmagoghnar are held on quite a high pedestal for their remarkable sound and style. Can Convergence show some indication for those unfamiliar with this band as to why that is? And can this third offering build on the impressive foundations laid by their previous two highly acclaimed releases?

Read more ››
published 11.11.2023 | Comments (12)

Found in 40 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 50   Visited by: 781 users
05.09.2023 - 12:01
Rating: 9
Ruisdier
Ohh snappers! AOTY contender incoming, this is what we want
----
https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7014
AOTY 2022
05.09.2023 - 12:20
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
I'm really hyped up for this
05.09.2023 - 13:54
FeskarN
This was unexpected for me New single out on Spotify also, I like it!

https://open.spotify.com/track/1PkWpwVnvfJjKKKW6OQE9Z?si=e0a7433506904338
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
05.09.2023 - 14:11
Nejde
CommunityManager
This is awesome news. Emergence is a phenomenal album. If this is even half as good it'll probably still be amazing.
07.09.2023 - 14:51
LordGio
I cant wait!!!
08.09.2023 - 16:44
24emd
Theory Snob
Yeah I liked their last one quite a bit, their melodic side is great and a lot better than most black/death I hear. Cover art is oustanding too.
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums
10.11.2023 - 06:51
Oldy86
I've listened to this once and I'm pretty sure it's immediately my number 1 album of the year. These guys just don't miss.
10.11.2023 - 09:18
Derelict Earth
AOTY, competition is over.
10.11.2023 - 09:30
Rating: 8
Claudric
I feel like they extended their sound on this one, even experimenting a bit. And yet everything fits in perfectly - truthful to their own style. I coudn't have imagined a better follow up to Transience. It might really be their best release yet.
10.11.2023 - 10:36
Nejde
CommunityManager
Let the spamming of 10s on release day begin...
10.11.2023 - 11:40
Rating: 10
Ibanezmark
Written by Nejde on 10.11.2023 at 10:36

Let the spamming of 10s on release day begin...

Done
10.11.2023 - 11:55
mde017
That's beyond my understanding, by the way, to rank an album on the day of release Don't you just need to wait a couple of days before rating? Don't you need some time to digest the music before reaching a conclusion? I haven't heard the new Shylmagoghnar yet, so this is not a complaint about specific scores, just the surprise that 18 people have already concluded on the album on its day 1.
----
Okręt mój płynie dalej gdzieś tam
Serce choć popękane chce bić
Nie ma Cię i nie było jest noc
Nie ma mnie i nie było jest dzień
10.11.2023 - 12:21
24emd
Theory Snob
Written by mde017 on 10.11.2023 at 11:55

That's beyond my understanding, by the way, to rank an album on the day of release Don't you just need to wait a couple of days before rating? Don't you need some time to digest the music before reaching a conclusion? I haven't heard the new Shylmagoghnar yet, so this is not a complaint about specific scores, just the surprise that 18 people have already concluded on the album on its day 1.

I have no problem with rating an album upon one listen, I'm just aware that it is likely to change. What I find frankly ridiculous is a 10 on first listen OR release date. Like, a 10 by my understanding is an album that earns its place by still being perfect after many listens, or a long time. A 10 should basically spoil all other music in the world, a rarity that one wouldn't expect to come around every year. That's just me.
----

Best 2024 Albums
10.11.2023 - 12:28
Claudric
Or... one can have an opinion on release date and change their rating later if needed.

You poor snobs.
10.11.2023 - 12:50
mde017
Written by 24emd on 10.11.2023 at 12:21

I have no problem with rating an album upon one listen, I'm just aware that it is likely to change. What I find frankly ridiculous is a 10 on first listen OR release date. Like, a 10 by my understanding is an album that earns its place by still being perfect after many listens, or a long time. A 10 should basically spoil all other music in the world, a rarity that one wouldn't expect to come around every year. That's just me.

That's precisely why I refrain from giving a rating in the same week, not even a day, when I discover a new album. You're absolutely right; it's too early for me to determine whether it's a 10 or a 9, even. On day one, I can only gauge if I like it or not. I'm intrigued, so I'll dedicate more time, or it's a 'meh, move on' scenario. After a week, I have a much clearer understanding, but I'm still undecided if it falls in the 8-9 range or merits a solid 10
I acknowledge that some people can make up their minds more quickly than I can, requiring fewer listens. Therefore, I don't anticipate them needing as much time as I do to form an opinion. However, a mid-day rating on release day seems extremely fast to me
----
10.11.2023 - 13:07
24emd
Theory Snob
Written by mde017 on 10.11.2023 at 12:50

it's too early for me to determine whether it's a 10 or a 9, even. On day one, I can only gauge if I like it or not. I'm intrigued, so I'll dedicate more time, or it's a 'meh, move on' scenario. After a week, I have a much clearer understanding, but I'm still undecided if it falls in the 8-9 range or merits a solid 10

This is exactly how I rate albums, it's cool to see someone articulate it better than I could
----

Best 2024 Albums
10.11.2023 - 13:17
nonZero
Definitely album of the year. This is actually the only album I've rated higher than an 8 so far this year.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
10.11.2023 - 13:37
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by Claudric on 10.11.2023 at 12:28

Or... one can have an opinion on release date and change their rating later if needed.

You're absolutely right. Just looking at your ratings now and earlier today you've changed over 100 of your 10s to a lower score. I know this because I was thinking really hard if I should've warned you for rating abuse or not. Nice to see that even an overenthusiastic voter can change their ratings to more nuanced ones.
10.11.2023 - 13:46
Charlotbk
At first, the 1 hour and 6 minutes runtime scared me. However, I'm only halfway through the album and the writing is pretty strong.
10.11.2023 - 14:17
Claudric
Written by Nejde on 10.11.2023 at 13:37

Written by Claudric on 10.11.2023 at 12:28

You're absolutely right. Just looking at your ratings now and earlier today you've changed over 100 of your 10s to a lower score. I know this because I was thinking really hard if I should've warned you for rating abuse or not. Nice to see that even an overenthusiastic voter can change their ratings to more nuanced ones.

Feel free to check on my ratings everyday in case I am being enthusiastic again and I change them back to 10. I am afraid this website would not survive it.
10.11.2023 - 14:35
Oldy86
It's pretty ridiculous that people are taking shots for people rating this album a 9 or 10 when they seem to say nothing with the abuse of low ratings. I see that way more in here. I mean just look at this years top 20. Oh wait... we still haven't managed to get a top 20 this year and it's November. One of the best years for metal in god knows how long. Well at least not this strong. Not a single albums rating is in the green. So many deserve those high 8s and 9s.
10.11.2023 - 14:42
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by Oldy86 on 10.11.2023 at 14:35

It's pretty ridiculous that people are taking shots for people rating this album a 9 or 10 when they seem to say nothing with the abuse of low ratings. I see that way more in here. I mean just look at this years top 20. Oh wait... we still haven't managed to get a top 20 this year and it's November. One of the best years for metal in god knows how long. Well at least not this strong. Not a single albums rating is in the green. So many deserve those high 8s and 9s.

The staff takes care of both high and low vote abuse. The lowering of average ratings has been a trend for the last 10 or so years now, and I feel like it's unrelated to the quality of said year. I think people simply changed the way they vote, but that's just my personal hunch
10.11.2023 - 14:45
Nejde
CommunityManager

FYI, rate boosting is way more common than tanking is. I come across users with several hundred 10s on a daily basis. The most 1s I've come across is around 70 and those were deleted accordingly since it was tanking of entire discographies from certain bands.
10.11.2023 - 15:09
mde017

If you look at bands/albums and filter by this year and votes 20+ you will find interesting data. 15 albums are 8+ but there are 18 albums from 7.95-8.00 range. Hahahahaha. I said enough in the topic on the forum so will not repeat myself.
----
10.11.2023 - 18:56
Rating: 6
Dark Horizons
I loved the first album, the second one was a good confirmation, but this third album... well, it's an ok album, all is done very well as always, but I feel that Shylmagoghnar have become boring.
----
We are just a moment in time
A blink of an eye
A dream for the blind
Visions from a dying brain
I hope you don't understand
10.11.2023 - 21:12
Ruisdier
I just vote on my first impression and I can always change it later. This album is really good though, one of the contenders for AOTY
----
https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7014
AOTY 2022
11.11.2023 - 00:38
Vellichor
I expected it to be great, was not disappointed. Feels like a very complete body of work and every listen I’m finding more things to like.
11.11.2023 - 04:34
24emd
Theory Snob
Solid black/melodic death as always, "Follow The River" stood out for me especially.
----

Best 2024 Albums
11.11.2023 - 11:13
Nejde
CommunityManager
After giving this a fair amount of spins yesterday all I have to say is that this album is indeed a very good album and the production is excellent. But to say that this is equally good as Emergence? Well, it's definitely not. When I first discovered Emergence it totally blew me away but this album didn't do that at all. I made a bold statement here but now I have to say that I might have hyped this album a bit too much. It's a solid release and Shylmagoghnar never disappoints but this is not AOTY nor worthy of a 10.
11.11.2023 - 19:21
Rating: 10
terroriser
I am blown away by this album. I was not big fan of previous work but this album... I absolutely love it.

Great, majestic piece of finest metal music. I bow to Nimblkorg. We do not have many metal musicians who can be called an Artist but this guys deserve it

First minute or two of opening track reminds me one of the best intros ever: Dawning by Mindrot
----
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4i2hn2aUeKBtxzw8UN2EML?si=_gXZwweyShiek4Dmk5UzpA

Hits total: 12068 | This month: 102